DonBrothers 48 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
13%
☆☆☆☆
63%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Re: DonBrothers 48 discussion thread

Post by kangchan »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:45 pm A fun theory, but the directors never have much say over the design process. They're given already set designs, toys, and gimmicks and then told to work with those to make a show. A good director will work to fit the story to the toy production schedule. A bad director will just throw shit in and then never explain what's going on.
I heard that Japan and Korea have the same process on making drama series. Since the director not involve in the script. They only get the script and doing the rest in filming. I remembered when I watch the episode of High Kick 3, they explain how the drama series filming. The writer with stupid script sent to director and the director although know it is stupid script, but he still filmed.

It can explain why ToQGer and Ninninger have the same main director, but the quality of each series is different.

It is not like in China, since the drama series Director take all decision on the script and gain more powerful than.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I mean a lot of Hollywood stuff as well, the director has no input on the script. Maybe some minor tweaks, but for the Marvel movies I highly doubt the director gets much more input than the actors.
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:04 am But then we get to Jirou and my right eyebrow starts twitching. At virtually every last moment that character has been mishandled, and now this is the turd that's topping the cake. Why the sam hell does he even have an evil side?!
Didn't we learn that the evil side is really his main personality, and that he invented the "good Jirou" as a child to fit in with his friends? I thought that was part of his backstory that he told to Murasame.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

SVNBob wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:47 pm
ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:04 am But then we get to Jirou and my right eyebrow starts twitching. At virtually every last moment that character has been mishandled, and now this is the turd that's topping the cake. Why the sam hell does he even have an evil side?!
Didn't we learn that the evil side is really his main personality, and that he invented the "good Jirou" as a child to fit in with his friends? I thought that was part of his backstory that he told to Murasame.
That sounds truthy, but feels like Inoue threw it away to just merge them together into good Jirou with stripe armbands. Maybe it hurt the actor's throat to do the evil voice constantly
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Yeah, the writer and director don't really get any input in the toys or theming. They're handed a big load of Rangers/Riders and their respective toys, and told to craft a show around them. You can tell this in Gaim especially, with how few things get more than 1 or 2 uses. Kiwi Arms is literally in more movies than episodes.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

I think Sonoi and Shin'ichi's lines is wrong. Sonoi said, "絶対にソノシたちに→ヒトツ鬼を倒させてはならない". I think what he meant was " We can't let Sonoshi and his team defeat the Hitotsukis". Shin'ichi replies, " Same goes for you guys" and Haruka explains that the reason the good Nouto trio shouldn't defeat the Hitotsukis is because the good trio will end up eliminating them.

The highlight of this episode to me is when Sonoi calls Shin'ichi by his name, "Shin'ichi! Do it!" That somehow had a lot more impact on me than expected. But they botched that build-up when Shin'ichi ran away saying he doesn't like swords. What a coward... Why didn't he say that in the planning phase?!

What's the point of Tsubasa and Natsumi having such a grand love story if they're just gonna throw that away in the next episode... This is such nonsense...
takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:24 am Who wants to bet that the happy ending is that the Tsuyoshi gets rewarded for his manic behavior by falling in love with Natsumi instead (or vice a versa) and Sononi ends up with Tsubasa. Place your bets on which order those events happen in!
That is literally the happy ending and it happens in the next episode as we saw in the preview for the next episode:
Spoiler

My guess is, Tsubasa sets up a meeting between Natsumi and Tsuyoshi, for who knows what reason. And while they are talking, he goes to Sononi for who knows what reason. But it sure seems from the preview that Tsubasa and Natsumi do not end up together.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

As someone a bit older (62) who actually worked as an actor/art director in Manhattan in the 80s - 90s I have to stick up a bit for Inoue. Most shows are written/filmed longer than the 23 min. or whatever & then hacked shorted for all kinds of reasons long after the writer has surrendered their script. In other words: he probably addressed most of your concerns.
As for Sonoza's food consumption: set food is horrible! As a film assistant art director I had to paint large chunks of rotting meat back to it's "normal color" In a 3 day dining room shoot in august with no AC, and the actors had to eat from a table covered with it! For three days! they kept vomit bags to spit out/throw up between takes, Film-making sure is glamorous! So I'm sure the actor who plays Sonoza was doing just that. Look at how thin he is, That amount would cause problems if he didn't.
As for Sonoza in a Maids outfit... Sooooooooo Cute! Someone has GOT to do a Otokonoko Dojinski about him...

PS: currently watching Go-onger, and I can't decide who is cuter, Hant or Sonoza? Very opposite looks, thou.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

TrissieQ wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:28 pm As someone a bit older (62) who actually worked as an actor/art director in Manhattan in the 80s - 90s I have to stick up a bit for Inoue. Most shows are written/filmed longer than the 23 min. or whatever & then hacked shorted for all kinds of reasons long after the writer has surrendered their script. In other words: he probably addressed most of your concerns.
I'm not willing to be so charitable. Inoue is an industry veteran that has worked with Toei before. He knows there is too much to fit into one episode just by the page count alone. It isn't like he didn't have wiggle room to spread this information across the 50 episode schedule. The problem is that he was making up everything as he went along and procrastinated on wrapping things up.

While people praise this show for being unconventional, I don't approve with the fundamental problems with the writing. This episode drops a metric ton of contrivances upon the audience. Sonoi's plan was stupid on paper. Sonoshigoroku wearing blindfolds was ridiculous even for a deus ex machina. Framing Tarou's plan as 4D chess was insulting. There is no way he could be sure that things would work out given the amount of variables out of his control.

Jirou was robbed of proper development this episode. It also bothers me that Tarou and Tsubasa left him alone to deal with the devastating truth about his childhood. The lack of concern is so cold.

I'm frustrated by Tsubasa's lack of communication with Natsumi. She is upset and needs answers. I understand his reluctance, but there is a middle ground between refusing to say anything and laying it all out in one sitting.
Last edited by Arigomi on Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:15 pm >Toei: "well, shoot. ok, his Alter form will be green, but his Robo form will be gold. that'll work. also, we want him to have an alternate personality, and it's a tiger, like in Dairanger. And he's evil. we can use this as references for if this becomes Power Rangers. since their dragon ranger and tiger ranger were the same person, and he was evil for a bit."

Wait, is DonDragoku a Tommy from the Power Rangers homage?

>Toei: "ok, you made him purple, right? because purple is the color of insanity and we made the toy purple."

Oh, that explains why the toy is purple

>Inoue: "fine. I will make you an evil purple ranger." *makes Murasame* "now may I get back to writing my soap opera?"

hilarious and accurate
oh, to be clear, I was theorizing, not quoting actual aspects of the show design. I have no idea if any of what I said is accurate, and probably none of it is, honestly. don't want to mislead you.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think I was just playing along, but appreciate the clarification nonetheless!

I dunno though, I feel like when toku stuff cuts stuff it's mostly action stuff. I think we'd probably be shocked by what percentage of these shows is actually story
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

If Toei cuts major details, they usually don't tell us about it. Off the top of my head, the only "deleted scenes" we know of:

The 6-person Zyuranger Gokai Change from Gokaiger 45. I think we only have that as a promo shot though, not footage.

The Fourze Blu-Rays have some "deleted scenes", though I think those are mostly just slightly extended scenes.

All those old "Director's Cut" versions of episodes and movies, though I wonder how much of that was specifically shot for those releases.

There's a promo shot somewhere of Dark Necrom P on location, even though her only appearance is in that warehouse.

The Kyoryuger movie has some genuine deleted scenes which were included on the Blu-Ray release. In the show, they actually do a flashback to one of them.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I remember back in the day we did the Kiva cut footage stuff. I think we lost like some jokes about Yuri's weight? Oh and some Den-O scenes too
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:06 am I think Sonoi and Shin'ichi's lines is wrong. Sonoi said, "絶対にソノシたちに→ヒトツ鬼を倒させてはならない". I think what he meant was " We can't let Sonoshi and his team defeat the Hitotsukis". Shin'ichi replies, " Same goes for you guys" and Haruka explains that the reason the good Nouto trio shouldn't defeat the Hitotsukis is because the good trio will end up eliminating them.
Oh, you're right. Sorry for the late response, was at work all day
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

I remember back in the day we did the Kiva cut footage stuff. I think we lost like some jokes about Yuri's weight? Oh and some Den-O scenes too
It was the Kiva cut footage that generated the thought in my mind. I loved Kiva, and the extra bits being released was a gift, in my book.
I realize that just because I worked in the NYC film/television world for a while doesn't mean I know what it would be like in the land of TOEI.
That being said, A long-time working writer that doesn't have "verbal diarrhea", that beast doesn't exist. I married one. May she rest in peace.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”