DonBrothers 50 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:13 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
63%
☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆
6%
☆☆
No votes
6%

Total votes: 16
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Re: DonBrothers 50 discussion thread

Post by resop2 »

So, we don't find out about Murasame and Mother, or Kaito, or Jin, or any of the other dozen dangling story lines. Instead over half the show is the characters talking about their feelings. 100% on brand for this show.

Momoi's having his memory reset is totally on brand for a Gary Stu character.

I am a little sad that we got the pairings that the show was moving toward, not the pairings that should have been (Aunty & Tsubasa, Sononi & Shin'ichi, and Don & Sonoi).

As for the Anon tiktok subs, the Haruka and Sononi dance videos are everything.
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

resop2 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:12 pm So, we don't find out about Murasame and Mother, or Kaito, or Jin, or any of the other dozen dangling story lines. Instead over half the show is the characters talking about their feelings. 100% on brand for this show.

Momoi's having his memory reset is totally on brand for a Gary Stu character.

I am a little sad that we got the pairings that the show was moving toward, not the pairings that should have been (Aunty & Tsubasa, Sononi & Shin'ichi, and Don & Sonoi).

As for the Anon tiktok subs, the Haruka and Sononi dance videos are everything.
the tiktoks are fun, but i wish the Anon group had a social so they can post an update on the ETA for all the Revice Movies that they have yet to put on the tracker
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Sonicguy001 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:57 pm
the tiktoks are fun, but i wish the Anon group had a social so they can post an update on the ETA for all the Revice Movies that they have yet to put on the tracker
If they haven't subbed them by now then I doubt they will at all
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Yeah, i gotta agree with Lunagel pretty certain that boat has sailed. Plus I do believe another group picked that series up.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Blackcondorguy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:19 pm Will we ever now what Kaito was doing here and why is characterization had nothing to do with the previous series? No ones gives a damn? Ok, fine! :lol:
Supposedly it's gonna be explained in Donbrothers vs Zenkaiger, although I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:49 pm Supposedly it's gonna be explained in Donbrothers vs Zenkaiger, although I wouldn't get your hopes up.
That's exactly what I had in mind. All of it ! :lol:
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

Aeikozz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:14 pm Yeah, i gotta agree with Lunagel pretty certain that boat has sailed. Plus I do believe another group picked that series up.
damn it. and here i was holding out hope that when they did the reviceXgeats movie that they'd release all the other movies along with it.... maybe they might release the subs one day?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

After 50 episodes, DonBrothers certainly leaves a lot to unpack. For the sake of brevity (and my sanity), I'm going to stick with just this episode for this discussion, and save the many (many) pieces of series discussion for the overall thread.

First off, a big thank you as always to the TV-Nihon crew for keeping the lights on so that we have a place to oggle and argue about superheroes in spandex.:lol: And a big kudos to Anon for encoding these, whoever you are.

As for the finale to DonBrothers, given that it was essentially a two-parter with last week's episode, everything was resolved about as you'd expect given what the previous episode laid down. Tarou's memory is cooked from making too many peach puns, Tsubasa and Sononi are indeed Japanese Bonnie & Clyde, somehow Tsuyoshi got his wife back (more or less), and Shinichi is still Shinichi...

And for all the problems I have with the series as a whole, I can't find it within me to hate this episode, even despite the lack of meaningful resolutions. It is, on its own, an entertaining chapter in the DonBros story. As Takenoko correctly notes, it's totally emotionally manipulative; but it does so rather well. Past that, I'm not sure there's much to say about the plot. This is the epilogue; it's about the characters rather than the plot.

Meanwhile, I see the let the pyrotechnic crew out of their cages for the action in this episode. DonBros had so many lame (simple) fights that when they do break out the fancy stuff, it really stands out. Unfortunately, fancy effects for a meaningless fight just isn't very satiating. I do, however, appreciate that they used the good CGI for the roll call (though I am salty that we didn't get a helmetless call).

Also, should the amnesiac really be driving? :lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:13 pm I like that Tarou forgets the DonBros guys before Sonoi
It's certainly the most thematically appropriate order.
Murasame gets 5 seconds of character growth in this whole seies
An effort was made. It was just the smallest effort possible.
is that fucking Inoue on the stage
Since I have no idea what Inoue looks like, I appreciate that note. Though I suppose by the same token, if you had told me that was the emperor of Japan, I would have believed it as well...
Lunagel wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:24 pm Yep, that was pretty much the bullshit ending I expected. Nothing explained. Nothing resolved. More questions rather than any answers. Instead of a climax we get a whimper.
But you have to admit, it's a very fitting finale for DonBrothers. Chaos from start to end, no exceptions. I don't know how the series could have ended any other way.
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:49 pm
Blackcondorguy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:19 pm Will we ever now what Kaito was doing here and why is characterization had nothing to do with the previous series? No ones gives a damn? Ok, fine! :lol:
Supposedly it's gonna be explained in Donbrothers vs Zenkaiger, although I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Seriously. We've been burnt by those kinds of expectations more than once with Returns/VS movies. I am expecting it to explain absolutely nothing, and if by chance is does accidentally actually explain something, that's the cherry on top.

Edit: Oh, and the wiki link at the top post goes to the wrong page. This episode is in the wiki as https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Avatarou_ ... ers_Finale , rather than as an episode number.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Fixed the wiki link

And yeah, it's Inoue on the stage. He's the publisher president as the title
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

This was a neat ending. I guess I’ll start with my one big issue: Don Momotaro defeated the big bad(s) in one hit after they’d been beating up everyone else… for the second ending episode in a row. That’s not what a show about a team is.

Beyond that, though, I actually kind of liked this. The shot of Don Momotaro's armor losing its color is the closest we’re going to get to an explanation about Kaito, Haruka adapting a DonBrothers manga was a thematically excellent way of giving Tarou his memories for one last time--DonBros is already sort of a show about a story, at the end of the day--and Tarou himself finally figures out how to show caring for others. (If this memory loss also happened to Kaito, why does he run things and seem to know more instead of less that the others? Was there any indication before this episode that Tarou'd lose his memories? Not really, but I'll take what I can get).

I also enjoyed the epilogue and the overall treatment of the characters: it’s especially good that Kijino was shown as finally able to move on; he really needed that before Natsumi found him to keep him from being back to square one or worse. We don’t see much of Tsubasa and Sononi, but I'm glad we got what we did. The character arcs are all tied up pretty satisfyingly (everyone who had one, anyway... sorry, Saruhara, at least I really liked this week's haiku). It did strike me that this episode didn't actually change the story much, though: the DonBrothers are still active, the Anoni and Hitotsuki aren't going away, and the Nouto Council are absolutely still there--just in a really awkward position now that their best fighters are either dead or converts.

As much as I enjoyed the episode, it really didn’t have as big of an emotional impact I’d thought it would have. With that said, a lot of that's probably a relative lack of prior setup for Sonona/Sonoya combined with the circumstances of their demise... combined with the lack of answers... and the lack of overall story resolution. There's no logical way I can say it was a great ending. But then again, since when was logic DonBrothers' strong point?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”