Total votes: 14
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KR Geats 24 discussion thread

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm
ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:07 pm
Er, who's Archimedel?
The Jamato gardener/creator. We only know his name because a) it shows up in credits and b) in the captions.
Ahh. Thanks!
ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:07 pmI've been wondering this for a while: what is she eating?
Looks like jelly beans to me
That's what I thought as well. But they look a bit too big to be jelly beans? At least, by American standards. At one point I had been wondering if they were cashews...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:21 pm
Looks like jelly beans to me
That's what I thought as well. But they look a bit too big to be jelly beans? At least, by American standards. At one point I had been wondering if they were cashews...
TBH I don't see jelly beans that much here so I did a quick googling and it looks like there is at least one JP brand of them that matches up pretty perfectly:

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I really was not expecting to see Ace's present-day origin story here, of all places. But in retrospect, if you're going to do a flashback, then a clip show is the place to do it.

LOL, what a trick though. "It's a clip show, but it's also mandatory watching"

>And I guess all of this makes Buffa and Beroba an evil power couple. I dig it; we haven't had one of those in quite a while, as best as I can recall.

It's a delicious grey area relationship. They're both using each other. Whether they develop any real fondness for each other remains to be seen. Or maybe they'll stay weirdo loners

>The Producer is way too calm about this, though. Given that his show was just hijacked and a rogue element is trying to gain the power of creation itself, there seems to be far too much at stake here to justify such a lackadaisical attitude. He's the target, after all!

I have a feeling that he has a nuke in his pocket. Worse comes to worse, he'll just burn this dimension and move the show to another time/place

>And Tsumuri, "I want to believe in the Kamen Riders" is not much of a statement. Did you not just witness the big CGI fight going on in the background? They're all Kamen Riders! :lol:

I'm a simple man, and I liked that moment lol
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:31 pmI like how she only needs one bandage on her face
Conservation of Kawaii in action. You can't cover the actress's face too much, otherwise the audience wouldn't get to see how cute she is.

lol exactly
Wait, this is how we learn Geat's origin story??? In a bottle episode???
This arguably classifies as a clip show, despite the limited reused footage. But it doesn't classify as a bottle episode. If they never left Toei's sound stages, and they only used existing sets, then it would be a bottle episode. Basically, the big public fight disqualifies this from being a bottle episode under normal definitions.

Ah, you're right. Correction accepted!
They still haven't said Archimedel's name in show.
Er, who's Archimedel?

It's fine that you don't know his name, it's never said in the show proper, which is always an odd choice D:
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:08 pm Can I get 5 more people?! I definitely feel like I can get the 6 people to prove Luna wrong on this
Yo! I got it! I assume we're talking about the OG version and not the New version?

There's a new one?
Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:25 pm
ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:21 pm That's what I thought as well. But they look a bit too big to be jelly beans? At least, by American standards. At one point I had been wondering if they were cashews...
TBH I don't see jelly beans that much here so I did a quick googling and it looks like there is at least one JP brand of them that matches up pretty perfectly:

What phallic looking jelly beans
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:25 pm TBH I don't see jelly beans that much here so I did a quick googling and it looks like there is at least one JP brand of them that matches up pretty perfectly:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fp30FgWaYAA ... me=900x900
And there we go, a best match! Jelly beans it is.
takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:59 pm
Yo! I got it! I assume we're talking about the OG version and not the New version?
There's a new one?
Two, in fact. 1997 on CBS, and then 2019 to present on Apple TV+.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:17 pm
takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:59 pm

There's a new one?
Two, in fact. 1997 on CBS, and then 2019 to present on Apple TV+.
I'm old enough that my childhood/adolescence is being remade to take advantage of my sense of nostalgia... hooray
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

The clip-show first half made me realize how much I'd under-rated KR Geats for the first few weeks. A clip show that taught me something? Didn't think it could happen.
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:40 am Given that Toei didn't give the supporter Riders a unique logo and 3 of them are CGIs, I suspect we won't be seeing too much of them.
They actually each have a unique pattern in the center of their card thing which has all the traits of a logo: they show it off when transforming, is seen through the round window on the handle and also it does this tokusatsu glow-and-expand thing when they put their belts on.
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:55 pm 2) interesting to note that Ace didn't know he was fox themed the first time he transformed (notice that his henshin is his usual pose, but just a finger snap, not the kitsune face into finger snap he does now), though I'm curious how he knew he was a fox after transforming, since he was alone. Nago and Tycoon had to point out their helmet styles to each other, iirc.
Cool observation on the snap!
My theory on how he knew he is a fox - I hink there was a moment where they've shown riders to have a wacky iron man-style HUD when transformed, so maybe it was there somewhere..?
(though in reality I think the answer is "it's not important how he knew, they writers just wanted him to say that phrase to emphasize that was his first henshin")
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Mikadius wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:37 pm
Yaiba wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:40 am Given that Toei didn't give the supporter Riders a unique logo and 3 of them are CGIs, I suspect we won't be seeing too much of them.
They actually each have a unique pattern in the center of their card thing which has all the traits of a logo: they show it off when transforming, is seen through the round window on the handle and also it does this tokusatsu glow-and-expand thing when they put their belts on.

The pattern on the front of the cards are just their helmet drawn on a 2D surface. The center round window is for interacting with other toys, not isolating any particular pattern on the card. The spoiler below has a clearer image if you want to look.

Unlike other series, where only the main Rider has a logo, Toei has assigned an official logo for every Desire, Vision and Laser Riders. You can check them out on TV-Asahi's website: https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/geats/rider/

Spoiler Warning: Links to images of the toys
Spoiler
You can see Ziin's helmet on the card on the image below:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FovVfvuXsAE ... me=900x900

The front of all cards:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fo0rTd0XoAE ... name=large

The back of the cards has the logo of their respective supporting rider. Toei used the same logos for both the Desire Riders and Laser RIders on the asahi website.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fp8P_TOaYAU ... name=large
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Speaking of the asahi page, I was trying to grab the images of the logos, but they're not loading automatically for me

When I look at the code, it looks like it's auto generated with the code that generates the divider. Is there an obvious way to grab the image that's used here, or is that hidden in another layer of code?

<div id="buffa" class="form-box -buffa">
<h3 class="tit">仮面ライダーバッファ</h3>
<ul class="stand-box">
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I've seen a few ways of doing a clip show, but this is probably the most clever one I've seen. I'm almost convinced that they decided to reuse so much footage to make room for all the CGI near the end, though.

The Jamato Grand Prix is an interesting way to shake things up, and the bits of reveals regarding the Jamato as artificial stock villains add some nice Biopunk commentary--if one creates an aggressive, semi-intelligent life form just to kill them off repeatedly, one can expect for things to fall apart at the seams at some point, and it can't be said that it wasn't one's fault. Didn't Beroba just kill off the entire Jamato garden, though?

I'm also liking the contrast between the present and future Riders; continuing the meta commentary angle, the latter are far less gimmicky or form-based, which really helps sell that the DGP Kamen Riders are basically using props and toys compared to the real deal. Is this the first time we've had a visibly, completely non-human Rider, not counting transformations?

takenoko wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:31 pm Speaking of the asahi page, I was trying to grab the images of the logos, but they're not loading automatically for me

When I look at the code, it looks like it's auto generated with the code that generates the divider. Is there an obvious way to grab the image that's used here, or is that hidden in another layer of code?

<div id="buffa" class="form-box -buffa">
<h3 class="tit">仮面ライダーバッファ</h3>
<ul class="stand-box">
Found them--right after the H3 element, there's a "::before" bit (visible in a browser inspector, but not the source code itself) that the icons as background images in the CSS. With that said, the icons themselves are only around 36x30px. As far as I can see, they all follow a " https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/geats/rider/ ... _geats.png "-style naming scheme
Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Mxylv on Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh thanks. If I wanted to figure that out for myself in the future, how would I do that? That was a fast answer too, you guys are pretty good! I wasn't even sure if anyone was gonna answer lol
sqizzo
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O; Kamen Rider Gaim; Kamrn Rider Wizard
Favorite Band: Wrist
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: ka BOOM!
Quote: "My grandmother said this...when people love others, they become weaker, but it is nothing to be ashamed of. True weakness lies elsewhere."

Post by sqizzo »

Last episode I was like, the series mecha has finally arrived after 23 episodes. This episode they were like, here, take three more. lol.

Not liking their design much though especially the angled lines. So unsymmetrical.
The darkness first descend,
The darkness will not end,
The darkness i befriend,
The darkness i command.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:56 am Ooh thanks. If I wanted to figure that out for myself in the future, how would I do that? That was a fast answer too, you guys are pretty good! I wasn't even sure if anyone was gonna answer lol
Glad to be of help!
Ctrl+Shift+I (or right clicking the general page and pressing "Inspect" if the option shows up) will bring up a browser multi-tool; if/once it's on the "Inspector" tab, you can click a small mouse-in-box button at the tool's corner to select an element of the web page and navigate manually from there. There should be another screen to the side with says either "Rules" or "Styles," and that'll any background images (among other styling commands).
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron