King-Ohger 01 discussion thread

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:18 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
45%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
5%
10%

Total votes: 20
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: King-Ohger 01 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

Oh, that explains why Overtime were writing "Terra" for some reason. Yeah, it's kind of stupid though. Reminds me of Carranger's joke of every alien calling it Chiiiiikyu.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Here's the official map for anyone interested:

https://www.super-sentai-friends.com/wp ... ng_map.pdf
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

The continent on the left is basically just a slightly misshapen African and Asia, with Japan attached to it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:13 pm Oh, that explains why Overtime were writing "Terra" for some reason. Yeah, it's kind of stupid though. Reminds me of Carranger's joke of every alien calling it Chiiiiikyu.
It's basically like writing earth, but not that Earth, because I lower cased it. Pretend that lower cased earth didn't already mean something in this example
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:18 pm Snow kingdom seems not quite as populated as the rest
I guessthey live inside the mountains hence why castle is build near one, but then there are those five houses standing there below it. Either way purple got kinda shafted with their kingdom's location, tbh
Lunagel wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:04 pm Here's the official map for anyone interested:

https://www.super-sentai-friends.com/wp ... ng_map.pdf
Oh... I just kinda assumed they lived on different planets or something like "realms" in marve's thor =P
Not sure why, probably because of all the technology and how contrasting their kingdoms look
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well now, that was certainly an interesting start to a new Sentai series. It's not the strongest series opener, if I'm being honest, but it has me interested in seeing where the series will be going.

Above all else, that was a surprisingly bombastic premiere. Series openers are normally a bit flashier than the rest of the series to follow, but episode 1 of King-Ohger is on a whole other level. It's right up there with Toei's theatrical releases, so I don't want to even try to think about how much this episode cost to put together. That said, I just can't imagine this is a budget level Toei can sustain for every episode, so it'll be interesting to see where things stabilize at as the series gets going.

For better or worse, we're back to starting the series with a Red focus episode. I guess he would technically be a rookie red at that, but since the very first thing he did was handily win a giant robo fight, I'm not sure how many of the rookie tropes actually apply here. Regardless, he's very much a modern Sentai red ranger - a man of action with a heart full of justice (or possibly amphetamines?).

He strikes me as a cross between Sougo (zi-O) and Lucky (Kyuuranger), which is a very risky combination. The former was a turnip, and the latter was grating. So we're either going to end up with a character that balances out these aspects, or we're going to get a grated turnip. The likely outcomes are either very good or very bad.:lol:

Coming into this series, I didn't expect Red not to be one of the monarchs. The fact that he's able to transform at all means there's obviously more than meets the eye. If Toei is embracing medieval tropes here, then he's probably a bastard son or presumed-dead heir or some such, so we'll see. But for now it means he's the odd man out of the cool kids group.

Unfortunately we don't really get to see much of the rest of the cool kids. Each gets a brief character establishing moment, and then Blue gets the next greatest amount of screen time with his cocky asshole act, but even that is just a few lines. I'm guessing the next few episodes are going to be devoted to fleshing out each of the characters, and slowly bringing the team together.

I also thought they'd try to make Purple's gender a bit more ambiguous to start with. But she's walking about in mid-heeled platform boots, so yeah... :lol:

The world building in this could be interesting, but it's kind of a mess to start with. That map that Luna posted actually helps a lot; initially I thought each of the kingdoms was in one of the encircled communities, making them all about 5 miles from each other. I really don't know what to make of the setting, in part because it seems to depend on what kingdom you're at. Red's is medieval steampunk, but then Blue's is a techno utopia. And then Purple's is a medieval ice land, which begs the question of why anyone would establish a kingdom in a landlocked area that you can't grow food in...

(Also, there's a kingdom named Tofu? Really, Toei?)

For that matter, what is Japan's odd fascination with European medieval themes? As someone else already noted, this is basically the second time Toei has done this in 5 years, doubling-down on the theme even harder than Ryusoulger. At least it's not dinosaurs again, but it's kind of weird to see this theme come up again so soon.

This also has me wondering how long Toei can stick with the theme, especially given the CGI costs? At the end of the day Super Sentai always gets centered around modern-day Japan so that they can shoot around existing locales. That goes for everything from space series (Kyuuranger) to time travel series (Timeranger). At some point here there's going to have to be a time jump or something, in order to get the King-Ohgers fighting in the present day. (And fighting is the key word; it's hard to stage good fights within the small confirms of their AR wall)

That may also explain why we didn't see any standing sets for this episode. Everything was either filmed against an AR wall, a green screen, or outdoors at what I'm assuming is some kind of medieval-themed backlot or park. Still, when even DonBros only had a single standing set (the cafe), I'm worried here that Toei is going to go whole-hog on shooting virtually everything against virtual backdrops. It's quite gaudy when used extensively like this.

Meanwhile, the suits sure are interesting. The heavy use of latex is going to take some getting used to (it's ridiculously shiny), but it certainly stands out from the usual spandex.

Last, but certainly not least, let's talk about giant robots. It's been a while since the mecha have been a central part of a series' theme, so it's nice to see the big bots getting some love. Especially coming from DonBros, which was ambivalent at best about its giant robot fights, there was more effort put into this first episode than anything DonBros did.

The giant MOTW emerging from the smoke may very well be one of the best entrances we've ever seen. It's right up there with Go-Busters iconic use of having enemy megazords land and kick up a bunch of debris in the process. I don't know if that was a physical effect or a CGI effect, but it's amazing.

Past that, it's nice to have a giant robo fight taking place on a very distinct, very physical set. I don't expect this will be status quo for the series, but it was a good way to start things off. We got to see Red's mecha in all its physical model glory, as well as an impeccably detailed medieval village set. All chock-full of things to break and blow up.

For all the CGI that was used elsewhere, it was just so nice to have a hulking, physical fight staged by two poor sods in rubber suits pretending to be giants. :lol: I'll admit I'm not especially impressed with the robo itself (lots of pointy bits), but I'll get used to it. And it's an improvement over the last couple of years, at any rate.

As a final aside, I found the level of CGI detail in the gattai sequence to be quite interesting. Toei didn't just go for photorealistic CGI, as they sometimes do with their best work, but they greebled the hell out of the CGI models in that sequence, to the point where there is surface texture and details that aren't even on the suit itself. It's almost a bit of a distraction, since you don't get to see those details when the CGI models are used elsewhere. But damn if it isn't an impressive amount of effort for that canned sequence. I can only surmise that Toei has upgraded their software/rendering stack this year.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:18 pm I can't get over the silly mask Kuroko
It's so ridiculous. It cracks me up every time. :lol:
I was thinking this when downloading the cast pics, but there sure are a lot of side characters. Hope they are used well in this story
Interesting. I didn't realize their retainers were going to be regulars. I assumed they were just for the first couple of episodes.
The red king here ain't no Palpatine
Palpatine was more subtle about his plans. I'm at a bit of a loss for why the red king was explaining his evil plan to the first random nobody that walked in...
Wow, that cockpit thing lowering... that's... something
It's interesting. While I do have a preference for more traditional sit-down cockpits, I want to see what they do with it as a team.
Rider Cure Man wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:07 pm Aoto Watanabe who plays Gust looks a older Gentarou maybe that's just the pompadour talking
Pompadours are certainly very loud hairstyles. Though the facial structure is also similar.
Let's just hope he doesn't constantly reiterate how's he gonna rule the world
He probably will for a while. :? It's not a good look, especially as the red king is the one actually trying to take over the world.
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue May 02, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>That siad, I just can't imagine this is a budget level Toei can sustain for every episode, so it'll be interesting to see where things stabilize at as the series gets going.

For episode 2, with all the kingdoms destroyed all the action moves to the city a la Ryusoulger

>He strikes me as a cross between Sougo (zi-O) and Lucky (Kyuuranger), which is a very risky combination. The former was a turnip, and the latter was grating. So we're either going to end up with a character that balances out these aspects, or we're going to get a grated turnip. The likely outcomes are either very good or very bad.:lol:

That's like the funniest description for Zi-O/Kyuu that I've heard

>I also thought they'd try to make Purple's gender a bit more ambiguous to start with. But she's walking about in mid-heeled platform boots, so yeah... :lol:

I wonder if she'll have a She's All That moment and suddenly just foregoes the face mask

>(Also, there's a kingdom named Tofu? Really, Toei?)

I mean it basically takes place on Planet EARTH

So which countries are which analog in the real world?
Tofu - Japan (Obv)
Shugoddom - Generic medieval Europe in every Japanese anime
Nkosopa - America?
Ishabaana - ?
Gokkan - ?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:21 pm >He strikes me as a cross between Sougo (zi-O) and Lucky (Kyuuranger), which is a very risky combination. The former was a turnip, and the latter was grating. So we're either going to end up with a character that balances out these aspects, or we're going to get a grated turnip. The likely outcomes are either very good or very bad.:lol:

That's like the funniest description for Zi-O/Kyuu that I've heard
Thanks. I try. Or rather, I make do with the items Toei gives me.
>(Also, there's a kingdom named Tofu? Really, Toei?)

I mean it basically takes place on Planet EARTH
Sure, but it's such a terrible name for a country. It would be like renaming England to Beef Wellington.:lol:
Tofu - Japan (Obv)
Nkosopa - America?
Ishabaana - ?
Gokkan - ?
We saw so little of yellow's kingdom. But right now, I'd classify that as the most generic medieval European country. At most, it seems to be a medieval/nature hybrid. Meanwhile, Red's country is an odd blend of medieval and steampunk.

That leaves Iceland for Purple's kingdom. But like everything else, it's exaggerated to the point where you could argue it's a generic ice kingdom (Let It Go, Let It Go!).

Blue's kingdom is less the US, I feel, and more a generic futuristic sci-fi utopia. Maybe a bit of Tomorrowland thrown in?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

This is just stereotypicalism on my part but I thought Nkosopa is based on Africa. Japanese has no words that start with an N and then a consonant, but the few times I've seen words like that they've all been katakana-ized Afrikaans words. Black Panther afro-futurism?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm This is just stereotypicalism on my part but I thought Nkosopa is based on Africa. Japanese has no words that start with an N and then a consonant, but the few times I've seen words like that they've all been katakana-ized Afrikaans words. Black Panther afro-futurism?
Maybe. The site I was looking for when researching the names theorized Nkosopa is just Pasokon backwards
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah obviously it's pasokon backwards, I'm just saying it could be both
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:57 pm
Tofu - Japan (Obv)
Nkosopa - America?
Ishabaana - ?
Gokkan - ?
We saw so little of yellow's kingdom. But right now, I'd classify that as the most generic medieval European country. At most, it seems to be a medieval/nature hybrid. Meanwhile, Red's country is an odd blend of medieval and steampunk.
Yellow is more of a vicorian era europe rather than medieval, given maids|butleres, less emphasis on unwashed peasants and more on prosperity.
Lunagel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm This is just stereotypicalism on my part but I thought Nkosopa is based on Africa. Japanese has no words that start with an N and then a consonant, but the few times I've seen words like that they've all been katakana-ized Afrikaans words. Black Panther afro-futurism?
I think it's based on South Korea, but that's purely because of the heavy "pro gamer" vibes blue gives off
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Mikadius wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:20 am
I think it's based on South Korea, but that's purely because of the heavy "pro gamer" vibes blue gives off
Would be cool but given the often difficult relationship with South Korea that Japan has, I kinda doubt it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Mikadius wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:20 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:57 pm We saw so little of yellow's kingdom. But right now, I'd classify that as the most generic medieval European country. At most, it seems to be a medieval/nature hybrid. Meanwhile, Red's country is an odd blend of medieval and steampunk.
Yellow is more of a vicorian era europe rather than medieval, given maids|butleres, less emphasis on unwashed peasants and more on prosperity.
Ahh, that's a good point! You're right, the little bit we see is definitely more Victorian than medieval...
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:44 am Would be cool but given the often difficult relationship with South Korea that Japan has, I kinda doubt it.
Oh, right...
Yeah, I guess that's less likely then

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”