King-Ohger 02 released

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:45 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
21%
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 3.94 out of 5 (18 votes)

What's with Yanma's shoes???

/me cranes his head to look at Yanma's drink

What? the blue place is in a hologram city? Looks like we're still in a cgi city

Is that Yanma's character song? I wonder what he's playing

Oh hey, it's those stairs

The bad guy bullets are smaller bugs?

Oh hey, the king's weapon combines with the ohgercalibur to form a lance? That's not mentioned in the cms

Guess these are the citizens that I looked up

Oh cool, they're settling an argument in games older than me

lol, Gira made friends with a kid already

Nice to see the blue guy people are masking up

Hmmm, there's something dissatisfying about a robo gattai that doesn't need the five pilots, or even more than one. It makes the extras seem kind of superflous. Also, what are the other kingdoms doing when their god leaves to do the gattai? "Oh, there goes our country's guardian again"

Is this the same song that he was playing on his speaker before? It's not bad

Wait, did red ever go back in the cockpit after popping out on his air bike?

Oh, I guess they're getting kidnapped to the next country. How long will this pattern continue?

An alright episode. I respect the world building, which is something Toei's definitely done worse on in the past. That said, cyberpunk city is rarely a setting that appeals to me, and I'm glad to leave behind this gaudy neon future for something a bit more familiar
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: King-Ohger 02 released

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm Oh, I guess they're getting kidnapped to the next country. How long will this pattern continue?
Until they've been to all 5.

Impressed the other 3 didn't appear at all in this episode, I figured they'd get cameos at least.

Gira reminds me of Kouta from Gaim. In that he's dead set in his morals and is willing to ignore reality. Racles is a tyrant, but no-one actually seems to want to call him out for it. Gira would be telling Ukraine to give in to Putin, guaranteed.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

I admit I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I didn't like Yanma at the first impression, but he has won me over. And now I like his kingdom too. Another 5 star episode rating from me. I honestly wasn't expecting that myself.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm Is that Yanma's character song? I wonder what he's playing
I doubt it. They don't produce character songs that early into the season in Sentai anymore and it sounded like having a ton (more than a sentence or two) of English/English sounding lyrics. The five kingdoms have their own theme songs (with vocals) and I was hoping this was N'Kosopa's theme song. But they didn't include the song's title in the credits.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm Is this the same song that he was playing on his speaker before? It's not bad
Didn't sound like so either. Again, I'm disappointed they didn't mention any of these two song's names in the credits.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8E%8B ... 3%E6%A5%BD

According to the Japanese wiki, the two songs are the theme song Zenryoku King and Try & Fight the theme song of Nkosopa
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

one of the biggest minor takeaways I got from this was how quickly they did the transformation sequence with the Bop-It swords. I was wondering how they were going to handle such a long sequence if everyone has to start with their own side, then go through all 5 in order, and wait for the sounds from each one. the answer is: they just speedrun.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:59 pm one of the biggest minor takeaways I got from this was how quickly they did the transformation sequence with the Bop-It swords. I was wondering how they were going to handle such a long sequence if everyone has to start with their own side, then go through all 5 in order, and wait for the sounds from each one. the answer is: they just speedrun.
How does Hasbro feel about Bop it being stolen so blatantly like this?
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:33 pm https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8E%8B ... 3%E6%A5%BD

According to the Japanese wiki, the two songs are the theme song Zenryoku King and Try & Fight the theme song of Nkosopa
So... I was right? :lol: Then why didn't they mention the Try & Fight song in the end credits? That's weird, because I thought they put the songs in the credits whenever they're used.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

I will give this one a 5/5 because this blue is just Gentarou in the Super Sentai universe xD. This episode was so cool and the only thing that I didn't like was the hacking part.

The enemies are really strong this time and they just wiped a huge part of the city with a single attack.

This series also have a feeling of Decade or Eden Zero when each country/continent looks like a completely different world or planet.

I'm curious about Gira. How is he able to henshin if he is not royalty and was Racles even able to do it or he is the fraud?

Looks like the 5 first episodes are going to be very interesting showing us the culture of each kingdom. So far so cool and a great start for a series.
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 am
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:33 pm https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8E%8B ... 3%E6%A5%BD

So... I was right? :lol: Then why didn't they mention the Try & Fight song in the end credits? That's weird, because I thought they put the songs in the credits whenever they're used.
Do they usually list them? I don't always see insert songs listed in the credits for some reason
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

The people in Yanma's kingdom must really suck at being 1334 hackers if no one has bothered to jury rig their machines to not shock them.

I am still convinced that this series was created by AI.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm not sure what I expected from this episode. But I admit hacking duels were not part of it.

I get the impression that one of the overarching themes for this season is that they're all crappy kings, albeit each in a different way. Racles is your typical tyrant, Yanma lacks tact/decorum. And we'll find out where the other three stand over the next few weeks. It gives all of the characters a well-defined arc to traverse over the season. But it means that it's not just a matter of one bad apple (Racles) among the bunch.

After last week's CGI-fest, the ground action in this episode is at least a bit more down to earth. As expected, the "futuristic" city affords the chance to shoot in parts of Tokyo. And night shooting, no less! That's quite a treat this early into the series. Still, the heavy CGI touch-ups are excessive. In the place of well choreographed hand-to-hand fighting, we're getting very quick cuts between shots. There are some fun shots in there, but at that rapid-fire pace, the show goes through them extremely quickly, and they kind of run together due to the heavy use of CGI layered on top. Right now we're at the polar opposite of Kiramager's long-take fights.

We're still very early into the series (this is almost more of an extended pilot), so I don't want to read too much into it too soon. But as short as these fights are overall, I do hope this doesn't mean we're trending towards a DonBros-style split between plot and action; heavy on the plot, and light on the actual costumed hero action.

Meanwhile, the mecha fight for the week is a full-on CGI fest. Which I suppose is fitting, since last week was very practical. At least they used the freedom of CGI well by staging a flying fight. It's not quite my thing, but I appreciate the effort. The use of an aux mecha so soon (just 2 episodes in!) was a surprise, though. And I think Gira's sky bike is new, too? They are not wasting any time on promoting those toys.:lol:

I also liked that Yanma almost immediately called Gira out on not actually being an evil king. He wears his heart on his sleeve and it's obvious to everyone else. (Which is good, because I can do without an arc of everyone thinking Gira is actually evil)

Speaking of Yanma, given his mention of rising up from the slums, I guess this series isn't sticking with the traditional notion of hereditary monarchs? He wouldn't have come from the slums if he was the previous king's kid. It makes for a more interesting backstory, but it does screw a bit with the idea of these being monarchies, as elective monarchies are relatively rare (and small). This may also mean that Gira is not the previous red king's bastard son after all...

Finally, no title sequence or end credits again this week. After DonBros I have to assume the dedicated end credits are long gone. But at some point they'll have to bring the opening/title sequence back; you can't have dancing without one of those, and Sentai loves its dances. In the meantime, I appreciate the bit of extra time it gives to the show proper, especially in these early, lore-heavy episodes.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm Oh hey, it's those stairs
Those stairs?
Nice to see the blue guy people are masking up
I suspect it's more for payment or continuity reasons (don't need to bring back the same people each time). But it makes a nice thematic equivalent to Racles' helmeted soldiers.
lol, Gira made friends with a kid already
He has the purity of a child. *snickers*
Wait, did red ever go back in the cockpit after popping out on his air bike?
No, I didn't catch him returning either.
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 am

So, uh, which song was which? I'm having a hard time following this conversation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>After last week's CGI-fest, the ground action in this episode is at least a bit more down to earth. As expected, the "futuristic" city affords the chance to shoot in parts of Tokyo.

https://www.toei.co.jp/tv/king-ohger/st ... _3346.html
I was looking at the behind the scenes pages for this week and it does list a near-futuristic Japan as the inspiration for Nkosopa. As expected, red's kingdom is a mix of the middle age buildings and Scfi-Fi buildings. (I suppose these notes were from the planning stage. It says that red was originally going to be the king of his kingdom). And they were going to name the capital of Nkosopa Nerima
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm Oh hey, it's those stairs
Those stairs?

During the first fight. Don't they like filming on that staircase?
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 am So... I was right? :lol: Then why didn't they mention the Try & Fight song in the end credits? That's weird, because I thought they put the songs in the credits whenever they're used.
So, uh, which song was which? I'm having a hard time following this conversation.
[/quote]

I went back and checked and compared with the theme song uploaded to YouTube and neither seemed to be the opening theme. I mean, the wiki can be wrong sometimes. The citation was just to some generic music page
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Those stairs?
Oh! That outdoor plaza with the stairs. I get what you mean now.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:19 pm

Oh! That outdoor plaza with the stairs. I get what you mean now.
Saitama Stadium. It's huge and mostly unused unless there's an event going on, so there are at least 5 or 6 locations around the perimeter they like to use for filming. Easy to block off, easy Tokyo access, lots of big open space. I'd say we usually see at least one Saitama Stadium location shot every 10 episodes or so.
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

I like what I'm seeing so far, it feels like a mix of Gokaiger and Ryusoulger. Gokaiger because the team feels like they're going to fugitives going against the empire again, then Ryusoulger because of the knight-ish theme.

Also, I like how the whole cast looks so far. One thing that turned me off from the past 2 shows is that majority of the cast just looked hideous aside from Black from DonBrothers.

And plus points for having 2 females in the starting line up again, I've mostly hated the 4 guys + 1 girl team set ups, save for a few.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”