King-Ohger 04 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:12 am

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
No votes
7%

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 04 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 4.17 out of 5 (12 votes)

I can see why we keep getting close ups on black's face. It's an interesting face for sure

I just noticed the stylized fog on black's robe forms the kanji for king: 王

If the hercules beetle reference isn't enough, I just noticed the Racle's throne is a cog with several kabuto horns sticking out of it

So they've got a snail here too. What's the green one? Looks kind of like a spider

Heh, so much effort to make the fields look like a bee hive

Oh my god, the kurokos have different silly faces. Kuroko prime is the orange simple face, is played by suit actor Kanzaki Hajime. Maybe he'll do some cool stunts at some point?

Welcome to our Japan set

Gotta love the street urchin mentality of Gira "It's deliciously covered in dirt"

Why's she back in her princess outfit

I thought blue threw a mud ball, but that was a sword going into a dude and his blakc blood spilling everywhre. So blue likes projectiles, while yellow is more of a swordsman. Cool moves

Wait, how far did those tentalces travel. They're gone in the next scene and he's only standing like 5 feet away

Gotta love yellow and blue's poses as Kaguragi exits the scene

What season is it in Tofu? Is it summer? Those are fall leaves, aren't they?

Racles: "Hello, children"

Looks like it's autumn outside the window. Does Kaguragi only have red eye makeup under his right eye? Is this a kabuki thing?

I like the frowny kuroko. The one with the big mouth open reminds me too much of the monster from Amnesia

Is Kaguragi a master manipulator? How's he know all the kings's weaknesses?

Sakura petals fall in this arid mountain pass with no trees. Feels like there's something theatrical about the way he walks when he transforms. Annnd that's a sumo stomp

Bees using heat to kill is a real thing

Heeeh, mecha beetle fight. But who was firingin from the mountains?

There's Gira's talking in triplets again. Animating the beetles to hug

Oh the leg detaches

Oooh, Gokkan must get part of its name from prison/goku (獄

While fantasy Japan is visually quite pleasing, and we got a cool mecha bug battle, then a sniper battle, I ultimately feeling like I don't know Kaguragi very well. He's basically as masked as his kuroko, plus having no speaking members of his people means we don't really get to see him react to anyone besides the other kings, who he's actively manipulating/deceiving

Best part of the episode was Himeno and Yanma arguing. Man, are these names hard to remember
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: King-Ohger 04 discussion post

Post by HowlingSnail »

Watching in an awful mood probably didn't help, but I was REALLY struggling to pay attention here. I'm just really not enjoying this show so far.

Can we please go to proper Earth soon, so we can get rid of all these CG backgrounds? I never thought I'd be craving a trip to Ohmori Hill.

So next week we'll get Rita's kingdom. Once she's properly introduced, hopefully we can move forward with something more interesting.

I miss Donbrothers.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

They didn't really introduced Kaguragi well. I don't really understand what or why he's doing all these things. So Gira surrendered, but Kaguragi refused to take him in, and then gone through the whole episode just to deceive and take him in at the end? I mean Blue and Yellow are there and they're already actively fighting the baddies, if he wanted people to help defend his country he could have just asked? Those two will defend other countries as well, Kaguragi saw them fought in Shugoddom. It's just manipulative for the sake of being manipulative, there's no point for all these deceptions.

Speaking of Gira, why does he keeps surrendering himself so he could get to Racles? He literally just waltz into the castle with zero security in ep1. That's how he took the sword in the first place.

I fully expected the Kabuto vs Kuwagata fight to go like this:

I think the three Great Guardian Gods are the ones that will form the main part of a mecha, like Kuwagata in King-ohger. So Kabuto will be another main piece.

Next week is the final introductory episode. I'd like to see if Rita is a stoic with a soft heart since she has a yeti pushy in the OP.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh, that's a cool attention to detail

Gira keeps surrendering because he wants to go home, it's as simple as that. He's away from his orphan friends and he knows their ruler is a dirtbag that needs to get taken out
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Gira keeps surrendering because he wants to go home, it's as simple as that. He's away from his orphan friends and he knows their ruler is a dirtbag that needs to get taken out

> I'd buy that, except he started doing this surrender thing at the end of ep 1 right after his first battle. He tried to surrender to Racles' two stools while still in his home country, before he got taken by Yama Gast. He just left the castle, he could have just walk right back into it at that point.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, that's his way of confronting Racles
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

I understand what the writers are trying the do, I just feel it's a bad plot device that's all
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

sigh.. again cool Kaiju fights scenes. But damn i am not feeling all this fake betrayl i did not enjoy the story of this episode at all.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'll second (okay, more like fifth) the complaints about Kaguragi. The problem with a character whose primary attribute is lying is that as a viewer you can rarely determine if they're telling the truth. And if everything they have to say is a lie, why should the viewer care/pay attention in the first place?

I had assumed Kaguragi would be the happy, big-eating bruiser type (e.g. TimeYellow). So what we got instead was definitely more interesting. Despite his duplicity it's clear he's no worse of a leader than blue or yellow. But all of his kooky kabuki mannerisms aside, he's the least interesting of the leaders thus far.

Meanwhile, Racles is finding new ways to be evil in the past as well as the present. I'm actually a bit surprised by how little of the plot really dwelled on his subjugation of God Kabuto. Given that these are the revered god-mecha that saved their world long ago, it's very brazen to enslave one like that. It's on-point for Racles, perhaps. But Yanma going along with it is very unexpected.

As an aside, just what is the red kingdom's niche? If blue is tech, yellow is medicine, and black is food, just what is red providing other than a pain in the butt?

On the plus side, this episode has some of the lowest amount of CGI used used yet. Being set in a pastural land that takes after ancient Japan really helps with being able to do proper location shoots. And I suspect Toei worked in a two-fer there on shooting both SHT shows on their sengoku backlot at roughly the same time.

Still, I'm of two minds on the action. The ground fights continue to be weak. Even the second ground fight in this episode, which was finally a "proper" quarry fight, managed to drop the ball. Watching these fights you get the distinct impression that whoever is doing the editing only knows two tricks: rapid cuts and slow-mo. So every time Black isn't hanging in the air slowly moving, the action is constantly cutting between takes. These aren't bad editing tricks in and of themselves, but it's a bit like eating a diet of chips and salsa; they're tasty and go together well, but at some point you need something more substantial to eat.

The counter-point to that is that the mecha fights continue to deliver, even with the series' more frequent use of CGI. The Kabuto vs. Kuwagata fight was handled well, and I appreciate that they used a mix of CGI and practical models there. For that matter, two robot bugs hugging was cuter than it had any right to be.:lol: Meanwhile, that Kabuto becomes a gun that requires a monopod for stabilization is an interesting choice; normally mecha guns are hand-held (or just hands!), so this is a big departure from the norm. That said, I doubt they actually managed to kill that giant MOTW in a single blow; presumably that's a setup for it to return a bit later.

I think Toei is finally reaching the point where they're having to cut back on CGI spending, though. I noticed a couple of instances in this episode of stability problems, where the background is jittering around a bit relative to the actor in the foreground. That shouldn't happen with AR walls from what I understand. So I don't know what's going on there.
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:12 am Why's she back in her princess outfit
If nothing else, quick costume changes are a bonafide sentai trope. The bigger question you should be asking is how did she manage to bring along her butler?! :lol:
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

Why's she back in her princess outfit
If nothing else, quick costume changes are a bonafide sentai trope. The bigger question you should be asking is how did she manage to bring along her butler?! :lol:
Trope is kinda subverted with the butler carrying a large backpack (presumably with all her clothes) when he appeared with the rickshaw
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So far this has been a big empty spectacle.

I wonder if Toei put their foot down after Donbrothers and demanded that there be huge mecha fights in every episode. Mecha fights stink under the best of circumstances and these mecha fights are making my eyes bleed. From the Pacific Rim movie controls to the creepiness of how the megazords looks, these are the worst megazords I have ever seen.

And the characters! Luffy D. Monkey is so flat and predictable that one can predict what he is going to do a minute ahead of time, and the rest can only be described as 1/2 dimensional since they are too one note to be considered one dimensional.

Still, it has been watchable so far as a spectacle, but they need to do something else after the five episode origin arc or this will be a snooze fest.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

4/5 for me.

I just like the characters even when Kaguragi was rare with all the lies he is still a good king that was protecting his kingdom and people. You could see how the destruction of the fields affected him.

The only thing that I don't like is the "join my crew" thing from Gira. Dude... you have stole all their mechas since episode 1 and you can call them whenever you want, they don't have any choice than work with you.

This episode is not a 5 because it felt rushed for some reason and the other 2 kingdoms were a little more interested.

After Rita joins them what is going to happen? Are they going to go back to the red kingdom and fight Racles?.

Humans shouldn't be fighting among themselves when there is a legendary enemy around.
Final Vent!
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Ground fights are so extra this season!
Cool to watch, although I wouldn't mind a more classic sentai scuffle sometimes. I've gotten used to it over years and so it just feels cozy when they have practical effects

I wonder if any children will follow Gira's example and catch some nasty decease or parasite from eating dirty vegetables.
Please wash your raw foods, kids. Hygiene was invented for a reason.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

https://twitter.com/King47_toei/status/ ... 6818213889

A spoilery thing we've known about for a while has been officially announced.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

I was really hoping for more from this show, as it's the first Sentai I've tried to watch since Zenkaiger, but I find myself losing interest even faster than I did with Ryusoulger and Kiramaiger. I'll give it ten episodes, and if the best thing about the show remains the admittedly-cool armor suits, I'll just give it a pass and wait for 2024's Sentai. At least Geats continues to be good....

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”