Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

I saw Suzume tonight

Post by takenoko »

Saw Makoto Shinkai's new movie, Suzume the Closer. I think this might be my favorite of his movies yet. Instead of your usual boy and girl being separated, this one is more of an ongoing odyssey across Japan. A multi-parted quest that makes you both laugh and cry, all the while showing you gorgeous animation while he does it

As always, it's a joy to watch his movies

Some gripes about the movie going experience
-You'd think for a ticket that costs over 20 bucks that they wouldn't show you 25 minutes of trailers still
-Official subs suuuuck. So many lines just not translated or mistimed in this. How does an official release come out in such a state?

Edit:
Trailers that seemed interesting
-live Saint Seiya, in theaters in May
-Across the Spiderverse
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Re: I saw Suzume tonight

Post by Sonicguy001 »

it's your favorite of his movies? I've only seen 'Your Name' so I'm now wondering if it's better than even that.

25 minutes' worth of trailers? here in Aus we get like... half of that I think?

rush translation job? I don't know. but at least it isn't as bad as the infamous Attack on Titan live action subs back in theaters
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>it's your favorite of his movies? I've only seen 'Your Name' so I'm now wondering if it's better than even that.

I've seen Voice of a Distant Star, Your Name, and Weathering With you. I think he gets better with each movie? You can see the complexity of the stories he tells increasing with each one and it feels like each cell in Suzume is an artistic masterpiece (prob a slight exaggeration, but it looks good). I felt like Your Name and Weathering With You were real tearjerkers, while Suzume balances the drama with the levity a bit more, and the tearjerker parts were used more sparingly to greater effect

>25 minutes' worth of trailers? here in Aus we get like... half of that I think?

I saw it at an AMC, which I guess isn't doing well if Stonks from a couple years ago was any indication

>rush translation job? I don't know. but at least it isn't as bad as the infamous Attack on Titan live action subs back in theaters

Maybe. But there was a line missing or mistimed in Shin Ultraman too as well as a typo. I mean, we make mistakes too, but I'm not paid to do this job, we're just doing it for fun

I'm not familiar with the live AoT movie incident, what happened?

Oh, and the Flash trailer also played, gotta say, Michael Keaton's Batman is my guy, I do kinda want to see that despite Ezra Miller

Movies I'm looking forward to:
May 5 Guardians 3
May 12 Knights of the Zodiac
May 31 Shin Kamen Rider
June 2 Across the Spider-Verse
The Flash
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

I'm not familiar with the live AoT movie incident, what happened?

if i'm remembering correctly, there was an isolated incident where they used softsubs for part 1, and the words 'i was waiting for this day' (or something to that effect) were stuck on the screen for a solid half hour before they either fixed it or cancelled the screening. everyone got refunds and Funi had to go exclusively hardsubbed from then on
Scopi
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: Everything is better with monkeys.

Post by Scopi »

takenoko wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:26 pm -Official subs suuuuck. So many lines just not translated or mistimed in this. How does an official release come out in such a state?
I think the Japanese companies just employ a bad translator. Your Name had bad official subs, which were included on the Japanese Blu-ray, but the dubbed version had a better translation! For that movie I steer people to the dub, which isn't bad AND has English versions of the songs by the Radwimps.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Depends on the company, depends on the translator, depends on the wages, depends on if someone decided that machine translation was good enough.

The announcement event for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure season 6 they sold tickets to an online broadcast with English subtitles that were entirely machine translated. So you have people talking in rapid-fire colloquial Japanese about a very specific subject and the machine just can't keep up. "Joestar" was translated as "toaster". The title became "JoTo's Peculiar Escapade". Absolute gibberish. And people paid $40 for this event.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:21 am Depends on the company, depends on the translator, depends on the wages, depends on if someone decided that machine translation was good enough.

The announcement event for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure season 6 they sold tickets to an online broadcast with English subtitles that were entirely machine translated. So you have people talking in rapid-fire colloquial Japanese about a very specific subject and the machine just can't keep up. "Joestar" was translated as "toaster". The title became "JoTo's Peculiar Escapade". Absolute gibberish. And people paid $40 for this event.
Whelp, that's awful and horrifying and a true sign of a lack of oversight in our industry
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

To be fair, it was a live show, so getting someone competent enough to translate on the fly and put it into a captioner probably would've been massively expensive. On the other hand, I wish they had actually tested the capabilities of the machine beforehand :/

Return to “Anime”