Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Got my ticket for Shin Kamen Rider

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:25 pmMay 31st baby
Lucky you in the US region.

Here in HK, there is still no schedule on the screening.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Purchased my ticket.

Kinda wondering what Anno/Higuchi could do next. Hoping they can give Keita Amemiya a bone and make a new GARO project together.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

went to a showing tonight, and was surprised to see literally anyone else there. the last Fathom Event I went to was the Reincarnated as a Slime movie. I know for a fact that's a popular anime with a lot of fans in my area, and yet I had that entire theater to myself, meanwhile I know maybe 3 other people in my area, at most, who like Rider. they weren't there, but a good chunk of other people were. went with my Desire Driver, met a couple of people after who had the wolf and cheetah progrise keys with them, but I got the impression a lot of the people there might've just been the type to go to basically ANY fathom event for the experience of seeing something they're not familiar with.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Where are yo uaround? Our theater had all the seats sold out more or less. I recognized a guy with an OOO shirt, and I think he recognized my Is shirt?

I thought it was an interesting experience. Honestly didn't love it. Some cool fight scenes, but the story and characters never really came together for me. Liked the fist fight with Ichimonji best, and the fight with the locusts also. Kind of a dark movie in general?

What the fuck is a planas?

Something that made everyone laugh was at one point, someone shouted "Kamen Rider's signature move: running away"

I also got a free icee for having amc stock

Some funny scenes. Not sure if everything was supposed to be as funny as people in our audience thought it was. Like, some stuff was awkward on purpose to be funny because it's the Eva guy. Then other moments, I felt like people laughed awkwardly because the scene was awkward

How did people feel about this one?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

small (I think? I'm a bad judge of location sizes, I just know it's not "our nearest neighbor is 5 miles away" small, and not "big city" big) town in Pennsylvania.

as for my thoughts on the movie:

having had time to digest it, the pacing in the early section was a bit odd for me, in a way that felt like how the Studio DEEN "Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works" movie was basically “if you’re watching this, you’re a fan who already knows the source, so here’s the bits you WANT to see, have fun.” and stuff went by a bit fast, but no so fast that I couldn’t keep up or enjoy it, and eventually it hit a point where the film really opened up and became a whole new beast that was a fun ride the whole way through. it wasn't quite what I was expecting, and I doubt I'd go so far as a 10/10, but I had fun with it.

my biggest takeaway is that at some point I gotta get off my lazy ass and actually watch all of OG Rider so I can re-watch this movie and pick up on any easter eggs I missed.

as for the "prana" stuff they kept mentioning, it's not a term I encounter often, so I don't know the full etymology behind it. only other time I've regularly seen it was in Fate series stuff where it's mentioned alongside "mana" and "qi" and such as a kind of life force energy. not sure how often that word gets used, or if it always means the same thing, but it was close enough to what I'm used to that I could just kinda gloss over it and get what they meant.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I too saw the film and I thought it was really good! Not for the faint-hearted with how much blood was getting splattered about in most of the fight scenes though, so it was a good thing my best friend didn't go (seeing as how he's not the biggest fan of that kind of violence). Looking forward to Hideaki Anno's next project for sure.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Aside from myself, my wife, and a friend of ours, there were 12 other people in my theater. I was the only one cosplaying (I wore my Gai Amatsu costume) and my friend wore his White Wizard Driver. Other than us there were no belts or even Rider t-shirts present among the audience. I heard about half of them muttering things along the lines of "What is this? Where are the giant monsters? I thought this Shin thing had giant monsters." One guy recognized my belt, but another guy was talking during the credits and pronouncing it as "KAY-men Rider" despite 2 hours of hearing it pronounced the correct way. So if that's a representative sample of the Rider fandom in my area, I'm not holding out hope for there to be a big influx of shows or merch any time soon.

As for the movie, I loved it. It wasn't as dark or as violent as I remember Kamen Rider The First/The Next being, which was a bit of a disappointment, though I did like the story twists and how they weren't afraid to do new things with the idea. I had a lot of fun watching it, though there was something oddly familiar about the overall style and feel of the movie that I couldn't put my finger on until I got home and googled Hideaki Anno. When I realized he created Evangelion (not a series I was ever a big fan of for a lot of reasons) a lot of things clicked into place and some character elements made a lot more sense.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I love the movie and I'm planning another trip Monday to watch it again. Problem is for the Monday showings, I still have to go far but I have an easier way back than last time.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Wow, I can't imagine going into this movie not realizing Anno did this and a bunch of the other Shin movies. I almost kind of prefer that since I was definitely pumped from the other three series being so good
DeMatgic
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Quote: Busters, ready... GO!

Post by DeMatgic »

While I haven't watched any of the Showa era series, I have a general idea of what happened during the OG show, and I still enjoyed the movie for what it was. The showing I went to was also pretty cool because my cousin and I ended up sitting with a bunch of other fans in a surprisingly full theater, so there was a bunch of gasps and "yo"s whenever something we recognized came up (one guy even shouted "Where's V3" when the credits started rolling).

I also really liked the redesigns for the monsters in this movie, leaning into the fact they're cyborgs like Hongo with how most of them had bug-themed helmets and bodysuits as opposed to the full monster suits in the series.

Only really two major complaints, the first being, as Connie mentioned, the pacing in the first part was weird. The second was the camera work during a few of the fights being very distracting, especially the shaky cam in the last fight. Otherwise, I'd give the movie a 4/5.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:28 pm Wow, I can't imagine going into this movie not realizing Anno did this and a bunch of the other Shin movies. I almost kind of prefer that since I was definitely pumped from the other three series being so good
As I said, I never liked Evangelion in the slightest. I've also never gotten into Ultraman (tried watching, never kept my interest, though I'm partial to Gridman). And just by sheer happenstance I've never seen Shin Godzilla even though I'm a big 'Zilla fan. When you couple that with the fact that I rarely pay attention to who's writing/directing/whatever it is I'm watching as I prefer to judge something as it is rather than with the bias of things I've seen in the past, you can see how that would come to pass.
Disney2123
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Euphoria
Dreamy: Megumin
Favorite Actor?: Ellar Coltrane and Hugh Jackman
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Otakus. Anime and Tokusatsu
Quote: Frankly, This looks cool.
Type: ESFP Performer
Instagram: jaden.torralba

Post by Disney2123 »

I never get to see it because it never came out in Canada. I made a petition to release Shin Kamen Rider in Canada.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:52 pm Where are yo uaround? Our theater had all the seats sold out more or less. I recognized a guy with an OOO shirt, and I think he recognized my Is shirt?

I thought it was an interesting experience. Honestly didn't love it. Some cool fight scenes, but the story and characters never really came together for me. Liked the fist fight with Ichimonji best, and the fight with the locusts also. Kind of a dark movie in general?

What the fuck is a planas?

Something that made everyone laugh was at one point, someone shouted "Kamen Rider's signature move: running away"

I also got a free icee for having amc stock

Some funny scenes. Not sure if everything was supposed to be as funny as people in our audience thought it was. Like, some stuff was awkward on purpose to be funny because it's the Eva guy. Then other moments, I felt like people laughed awkwardly because the scene was awkward

How did people feel about this one?
It's June 22, 2023 today. I came back from the movie today. It's weird how the HK theater decided to screen this movie in IMAX while the Shin Ultraman didn't get the opportunity to screen in IMAX.

I exclusively got an A3 poster for registering as a new member in the theater's app. I got another A3 poster for purchasing the movie's seat ticket.

Same opinion, interesting experience rather than must love it. It's more a sci-fi movie, so the science theories keeps flowing throughout the movie instead of going for the drama theme that the Heisei Riders embraced into. I like the CGI Cyclone, the engines in the back are treated as grasshopper's legs so that the bike and the Rider can do the super jump. Ruriko looks like Is from Zero-One, she gets more dialogues than Hongou does.

Interestingly, the subtitles used kanji to talk about human relationship in the movie. They also followed us to use -kun in the subtitles when Hougou called Ichimonji Ichimonji-kun.

I can see the production struggled a bit due to Anno's high expectation in making the movie. That's why the editing for the fight scenes was awkward even though the actions were bloodily cool. The CGI mayhem motorcycle battle against the SHOCKER Riders in the tunnel was terrible, couldn't even understand what's going on with the sequence.

You can treat planas like the Chakra stuff in Naruto.

It seems Anno used at least 10 iPhones to film the movie.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I need to do some research to find out where Anno found his inspiration for planas from. It just feels like such a random thing to make up and expect everyone to be on board with. I mean, it's sorta lame when the eva guy goes "it's sorta like the soul, but different"

Return to “Movies”