King-Ohger 11 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 28, 2023 8:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
31%
☆☆
No votes
15%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 11 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 4.1 out of 5 (10 votes)

That spider mask sucks

Interesting that the narrator is a character in the show

I never noticed the silly flappy things on Races' skirt before

I like Himeno's new hair style but not the ugly color

They really like this funeral gag

Oh the green screen did not like Himeno's twirl

Are we really doing this for all four kings?

lol Jesus Gira

Is this the first female monster for Kingohger?

I wonder what that weird thing is in the middle of that plaza

What is King Kabuki up to? Also we spend the meeting in his living room and he doesn't show up

It's like he's a Japanese spider man

What is this argument that Bugnarok might not be humanity's enemy?

Gira can summon Legend King-Ohger on his own? That's so dumb. That fight was over so quick what a waste

Oh no, King-Ohger got cordycepped

Oh, it's like a man in the iron mask deal

Oh it became a sword too? What king is he?

His thing is a bug sprayer? weird

Kind of a mid episode, but I did enjoy the introduction to the sixth. Of course, gotta point out that this probably would have worked better if the five were any sort of team to begin with, instead of adding the sixth just as they're starting to be a team

As such, I'm still super weirded out by this show's lack of team dynamics. We have Himeno and Yanma's antics, but everyone else barely has any sort of relationship to anyone else

I'm not asking for them to be good team members either. I'm just asking for any sort of established repertore or relationship to help establish these guys with each other. Like what's King Kabuki's angle? Rita is cool, but what's her relationship with the rest of the team? Does Gira have any opinion about his teammates, since he can solo the mecha fights on his own? This isn't show isn't called One-guy-not-a-king and these four guys who don't even transform in this episode

To play script doctor, we have every version of the funeral, along with introducing a new character, along with scenes of the four kings scheming and backstabbing each other as usual, along with a secret trap laid by the bad guy in a previous episode. Could we have lost one of the funeral scenes so that kings could transform and beat up some mooks or help out with legend king-ohger? Not a bad episode, but like everything else in it, everything was fighting for control of the focus and thus it felt diluted. This episode probably would have been stronger if it cut the sixth ranger stuff and just let him transform in his own introduction eps. That would have given mroe time for the core five to interact and transform and do their stuff
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: King-Ohger 11 discussion post

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

episode was a bit meh, but had a couple moments here and there.

I like that, not only was the narrator the 6th this whole time, but the opening's bit about "this is the story of kings, and the man who will become a king" wasn't commenting on Gira only being a prince, but on the narrator being the "man who'll become a king". that's an interesting twist.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Always fun to have a revelation recontextualize a thing. That's the best sort of story development
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Lmao Raculus's expressions in those 3 revival scenes. I'm sure his actor was laughing his ass off when filming those. It actually felt he was trying very hard not to laugh during the real one.

Lmao @ spoilers. It's every fandom's pain.

Oh wow. I actually feel sorry for Deznarok. Devoted his whole life to a lie and even risked his life on the front lines just to make the plan convincing.

The narrator calling himself narrating himself as the king is a good twist.

Everything else is just kind of meh. Smashing comedy with serious plot stuff didn't mix well here. And I really hate it when Red can pilot the full mecha on his own. They did it in Ryusouger too. What's the point of having a whole five people team when one guy can combine everything and fight on his own. They should only be able to use their own respective mecha when alone.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

4/5 Good and funny episode.

This episode change the story completely. Why was he imprisoned and who he really is?...

Gira MK II was funny. I have to give credit to the writer. The story structure is a mess but is not predictable at least. I guess that after 20+ years of super sentai plots this is what is needed to keep things interesting.
Final Vent!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Yeah. Rita's actress, Hirakawa Yuzuki, said she was terrified of the explosion but the mask hid her expression which helped to stay in character.

Also Racles's actor, Yano Masato, enjoying himself :

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Can anyone tell me what the deal was with the poop discussion in this week's episode? I can't imagine a more stomach turning topic
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

A few episodes ago, Ran talkd about a miracle 2000 years ago. This week she wants Gira to return in all-white and claim to be the son of God. She's totally a Christian.

Jeremy's key that he uses on his face and changer is a Ranger Key. Like, it's the exact Ranger Key shape, though I'm guessing the toy will be made not to fit. It's cut for a Black Charge in the Gokai Galleon Buster, I dunno off the top of my head what team cut it was.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Coffin
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Coffin »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am Can anyone tell me what the deal was with the poop discussion in this week's episode? I can't imagine a more stomach turning topic
He's basically saying poop can be looked at as storytellers, for it tells us about our health. And we created our poop. Thus, he may be implying that we humans created the Bugnarok. They are the results of what we put out. And they may not be our true enemy.

Perhaps he may be hinting that there's a bigger threat out there, or that we humans are our own danger.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

And we're back to "I have no flipping clue as to what's going on". Though credit where credit is due: I wasn't expecting the narrator himself to be a character, let alone the sixth ranger.

After last week's big episode, I was expecting some lower stakes. And we certainly got that (and then some) in the first half of the episode. Only to flip everything on its head in the second half of the episode. 11 episodes in still feels early for a sixth ranger, but I guess that's par for the course for Sentai these days.

Meanwhile we get the purely obligatory mecha fight. For as short as it was, there's surprisingly some real suit action in there. But still, the summoning/gattai sequence was longer than the actual 43 second fight.:|

I'm digging some of the background music they're using for the new guy, though. That chase music and the music they used when he revealed his face was pretty catchy.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:58 pm His thing is a bug sprayer? weird
The toys and the story are definitely at odds with each other at times. It's hard to tell if the writers are trying hard to integrate these silly toys, or hardly trying at all.
As such, I'm still super weirded out by this show's lack of team dynamics. We have Himeno and Yanma's antics, but everyone else barely has any sort of relationship to anyone else.

I'm not asking for them to be good team members either. I'm just asking for any sort of established repertore or relationship to help establish these guys with each other. Like what's King Kabuki's angle? Rita is cool, but what's her relationship with the rest of the team? Does Gira have any opinion about his teammates, since he can solo the mecha fights on his own? This isn't show isn't called One-guy-not-a-king and these four guys who don't even transform in this episode
I'm right there with you. There's a distinct lack of Sentai in this Sentai. It's different for sure (though DonBros did this to a lighter degree), but it's hard to argue that it's making for a better story. If you took out the toy mandate and the efforts made to adhere to it, I'm not sure how much we'd actually recognize this show as Super Sentai at this point.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Donbros is a pretty apt comparison. It definitely felt like it was Momo, Haruka, and Shinichi as the primary color trio, with the CGI duo off having their love triangle separately. Obviously the characters would interact and would have overlapping stories, but you can pretty much split the team up into those two groups

Here we've got Gira often hanging out with yellow and blue who like to bicker. Sometimes we'll get king kabuki to do schemes. Sometimes Rita will pop up to do court stuff. But overall we've got our core trio again and the two satellite rangers occasionally being in the same orbit as the other characters

Is this dynamic an intentional decision by Toei execs to keep people separated? To give more characterization to three main characters? For Covid reasons? I definitely know that Go-Onger in the surface has three main characters with green and black being sorta separately. But I feel like this dynamic is a lot more naked in these last couple of years. Actually the case, or just my imagination?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:09 pm Actually the case, or just my imagination?
If it's your imagination, then we're all having similar delusions.

Though in the case of King-Ohger, I'm not sure how much I'd call R/B/Y a core trio quite yet. They don't actually do a whole lot together with Gira. Whereas DonBros was far more explicit about having the three of them working together (once yellow wised up).

It's a very Kamen Rider-style of writing (particularly Ryuki). But it's so heavily at odds with some of the core themes of Super Sentai.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 pm Though in the case of King-Ohger, I'm not sure how much I'd call R/B/Y a core trio quite yet. They don't actually do a whole lot together with Gira. Whereas DonBros was far more explicit about having the three of them working together (once yellow wised up).
Sure, but in terms of screen time, Gira's always with Yanma or Himeno. He spends like the one episode with Rita and I can't even really think of any times he's spent with king kabuki outside the episode that they were in his country. We'll see him or Rita briefly interact with Yanma or Himeno, but pretty rarely is the scene just them and Gira
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:51 pm
ViRGE wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 pm Though in the case of King-Ohger, I'm not sure how much I'd call R/B/Y a core trio quite yet. They don't actually do a whole lot together with Gira. Whereas DonBros was far more explicit about having the three of them working together (once yellow wised up).
Sure, but in terms of screen time, Gira's always with Yanma or Himeno. He spends like the one episode with Rita and I can't even really think of any times he's spent with king kabuki outside the episode that they were in his country. We'll see him or Rita briefly interact with Yanma or Himeno, but pretty rarely is the scene just them and Gira
You're not wrong that Rita and Kooky Kabuki are getting the least amount of meaningful screen time right now. They were the last to be introduced, and they haven't exactly been making up for it since then.

But at the same time, in the last 4 episodes, Gira has spent 2 episodes playing dead, an episode in jail (and then fighting his brother), and then an episode being held captive by the worm people. Outside of the intro episodes, where he was spending time touring the planet while the other kings were introduced, he hasn't spent a whole lot of time with any one group or person.

It's kind of strange, really. He ends up separated from the other kings quite frequently. Consequently, I would argue that this is a red-centric series, where blue and yellow are the B-team, and black and purple are the C-team.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”