King-Ohger 12 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:36 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
62%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
8%
No votes

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 12 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 3.5 out of 5 (12 votes)

Oh, why doesn't Spiderman just shut up his enemies with his webs? so clever

What mech is Jeremie (how are we spelling it?) even going to get? There's already a God Kumo and it's just King-Ohger's abs

<~Lunagel> ick, massively awkward insertation of jeremie in the OP

Eh, I barely noticed him. I think once we get his transformation we'll see him added more officially

Also to spin a tale and to spin a web ares the same verb in Japanese as it is in English
紡ぐ 【つむぐ】 1. to spin; to make yarn?

/me imagines the rulers just staring at Jeremie with his hand posed like that during the duration of the opening and sponsor segment

Interesting that we see Jeremie taken away with Rita off screen. I feel like there's probably both a practical and a dumb reason for this

Morphonya continues to appear to be the actress having the most fun on this set

I've never noticed the been on lord kabuki's robe before, it's just there on the backside near his shoulders. I guess he has a sister named sparrow?

I guess we have to make an excuse to visit neo tokyo. Okay, the gag of them looking up to see if the lightning will strike Jeremie worked on me. Rita continues to be the best

Why's he got a cd

Cool trick Spiderman

That plane sure looks out of place

Rita has a moffun ring tone

This show would be 100% better if we had more flower ninjas

Is this animated backstory working? Oh hey, Jeremie is Elsa. His mom looks kind of like the jellyfish monster from GekiRanger

He has a monster hand!

Oooh, he's half Bugnaraok, but since this world has no stakes, all t he heroes are good guys and understand immediately. I mean, it's a kid's show and that's fine, but also not very dramatic

So there's a sixth king... but where is his country? Feel like there are so many questions about all this

Jeremie's transformation jingle is kinda catchy. Spiderman jokes aside, his suit is pretty cool

How did he go from dropping down facing Deznarak to having his back turned in the next scene?

I can dig this. Having the sixth have dual loyalties could make for interesting story arcs. Slight problem that up to this point, the Bugnarok have been portrayed as just mindless war machines that believe that their deaths are meaningless as long as they win their fight (cough, imperial Japan in WWII vibes)

I think I'm okay stamping a 5 on this eps. All the rulers get to do something, there's funny moments. Jeremie's motivations and action scenes are spot on. It's good, but also a bit more than usual
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Re: King-Ohger 12 discussion post

Post by Kurow »

4/5 for me

I liked the episode. Himeno's "Calladita te vez más bonita" was great.

Sorry Jeremie but "we couldn't read between lines" because your clues sucked. Anyway if you were half human and half bugnarok just say it. Looks like the kingdom from the 6th king as destroyed during the war and he left with her bugnarok wife. I don't discard that even a 7th king may appear but was Jeremie the same person that killed Himeno's family?.
Final Vent!
Coffin
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Coffin »

Such a good episode. But then again, I've been enjoying this series since the first ep. I'd give every ep a 5. Partially, also the reason I registered here, to tip the scale.

I like that this is the spider man focused ep, but it still managed to sneak in an important info or answer as to why black serves the wicked king. It's his sister. I was always under the impression that he was playing him, to keep on his good side, but of course there's more here. That's good to know.

Jeremie is a fun character so far. I would even say great. His personality, backstories, motives, powers, all basically highlighted in just this one episode. I also like that his symbol and the bug overlord symbol was a pre-established detail before they even explain it here. Little details like these are good stuff. Just like when Gira mentioned the royal food he was eating in the past, which ties to his royal family line. And of course who could forget Rita. All of her scenes are great. The whole joke about 'reading between the lines' is great, because they all used it to dig at each other (yellow and blue).
takenoko wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:36 pm
How did he go from dropping down facing Deznarak to having his back turned in the next scene?
I thought this was the case as well initially, until I replayed that shot. He actually landed behind the bug lord. So both their backs was at each other. Hence, the next shot the bug lord turn around to see him.

I'm giving this a 5. Easily. Because I like the focus on characters interaction, and moving things forward without much action in-suit require. And without relying on the mech battle every ep is even better.

Especially, given that I'm not a sentai guy. This works for me.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

God, it's so nice to finally have a 6th Ranger who's not Gold, Silver, or any variant of them. Like, in the last 15 years, the only other one has been Houou Soldier, and that's only because Gold and Silver were both taken. Still can't even get over him being named Jeremy. I don't think even Power Rangers would name a Ranger Jeremy.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Jeremie getting frustrated that the others weren't getting his riddles. The others were getting frustrated that he was talking in circles. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the writer was doing a good job of having the audience feeling the frustration along with them.

Having said that, the pacing of this episode is so much better. The jokes were integrated well and didn't break up the flow of the episode. It probably also helped that there were no robot fights and the others didn't even transform. All the air time was devoted to Jeremie's story and debut, with a tiny drop of Kakuragi's backstory.

As a detective drama nerd I literally loled at Gira yelling "I don't get it" after the mind-palace scene. He's also smiling like an idiot after Kimonos's fight, please zap him more with the blue lighting.

It looks like the place where Spider Kimonos fought was a real village set and not CG background?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Real quick, Kumonosu = spiderweb. Kimonos is a thing already that's super confusing if confused XD
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Wow, that episode was quite the info dump. Kudos to the translators on this one; it must have been a lot of work.

In any case, I appreciate that this episode didn't beat around the bush entirely in explaining the 6th ranger to us. Obviously there are still secrets and mysteries surrounding him, but at least we have the lay of the land (i.e. he's half-bug) to start with. As far as sixth ranger backgrounds go, that's a bit more of a unique one, though we have seen it done before with BoukenSilver.

I'm a bit worried about the story prospects of having a "neutral" sixth ranger, primarily because Lupin vs. Pat tried that as well with Lupin X/Patren X, and it didn't work very well. I hope Jeremie ends up being a better developed character, in that respect. On the plus side, the Bugnarok are very clearly the bad guys (at least for now), so hopefully this means we aren't going to see the new ranger waffling for too long.

Once you get past all of the riddles, the actual meat of the episode is a bit thin, I suppose. The first 80% of the episode could be cut with little loss. But it was entertaining. Perhaps more significantly, we finally know what leverage Racles has over Kooky Kabuki now: he's holding Kabuki's sister hostage. That's certainly very on-brand for Racles. And that's one of the reasons I haven't ruled him out as the final villain for the series (though it's also equally possible it ends up being a character we haven't seen thus far).

Production-wise, it feels like this episode was a bit of a breather for the cast and crew. Virtually everything was shot in front of virtual sets, save the very short fight at the end. And for the first time in the history of the series, we don't get a mecha fight of any kind - a bit surprising since King-Ohger is central to the identity of the series.
Yaiba wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:56 am Jeremie getting frustrated that the others weren't getting his riddles. The others were getting frustrated that he was talking in circles. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the writer was doing a good job of having the audience feeling the frustration along with them.
Is it my imagination, or were the writers kind of taking the piss at themselves towards the end there? Especially with that line "That's writers for you, right, oh sagacious one?!"

One of the problems with King-Ohger thus far has been its convoluted, drip-fed story. I've very much felt like the kings at times with respect to the overall story. In an ideal world, I would hope that this would mean that Takano Minato is finally getting the hint that he needs to tighten up his scripts. But I suspect we're not going to be that lucky...
It looks like the place where Spider Kimonos fought was a real village set and not CG background?
Correct! While it was another quick-cut fight, it was filmed in a real locale. I think it may have been the same place where Gira's first fight was at in episode 1. Unfortunately it doesn't really look like the virtual set they had been using up until that point, but what's a Sentai series without some ridiculous cuts when moving on to a fight scene? :lol:
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu May 25, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Oh, I just realized. The five <Ossu> guys standing behind Shiokara are the suit actors of the core King-ohgers.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Wow, that episode was quite the info dump. Kudos to the translators on this one; it must have been a lot of work.

Just so people know what they missed out on, Jeremie could have been the King Betwixt, both in between but a part of neither world

>I'm a bit worried about the story prospects of having a "neural" sixth ranger, primarily because Lupin vs. Pat tried that as well with Lupin X/Patren X, and it didn't work very well.

I dunno, already from the jump I like super old storyteller guy compared to Noel, who just never rose above being a smiling idiot whose motives made no sense, for me. I know people like that guy and he can do a hell of a backflip, but if the premise of the story makes no sense (I love LVSP, but you know it's true) obviously the neutral faction isn't going to be very strong either

> I hope Jeremie ends up being a better developed character, in that respect. On the plus side, the Bugnarok are very clearly the bad guys (at least for now), so hopefully this means we aren't going to see the new ranger waffling for too long.

I'm hoping that Jeremie can capitalize on the promise that Racles was supposed to give, a somewhat ally with an opposing goal/motivation. Again, the writing will have to step up the game to make these reasons make sense, but could make for a compelling story if done well

>he's holding Kabuki's sister hostage. That's certainly very on-brand for Racles.

Cue five episodes from now, we meet his sister and find out she's in love with Racles or something and is in no real danger. Because we've got to remove all stakes as soon as possible

>Especially with that line "That's writers for you, right, oh sagacious one?!"

We love our storyteller-samas

>Correct! While it was another quick-cut fight, it was filmed in a real locale. I think it may have been the same place where Gira's first fight was at in episode 1. Unfortunately it doesn't really look like the virtual set they had been using up until that point, but what's a Sentai series without some ridiculous cuts when moving on to a fight scene? :lol:

Speaking of which, I swear this is the same dress Gira's female friend wears in Shuggodom. It's like peasant steam punk to the max:
https://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/718033722613661696

>Oh, I just realized. The five <Ossu> guys standing behind Shiokara are the suit actors of the core King-ohgers.

Oh wow, I can't recognize them at all with those masks
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This show is so dumb that I think even elementary school kids are not going to like it.

So the new character is the result of a humanoid person having sex with an anthropomorphic bug? Gross.

Is this show trying to show the proverb "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."? We have seven "kings", all of whom are flaming jackasses and only one of them doesn't try to hide it.

Will we have a Kamen Rider show up next week and kick the butt of the spider creature? Obviously his back story is a lie and he is from Shocker.

I think this will be my last episode. Rita's assistant is cute and Princess Lemon has nice legs, but this series is not for me.
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

"Speaking of which, I swear this is the same dress Gira's female friend wears in Shuggodom. It's like peasant steam punk to the max" - takenoko

I want that dress! Soooo cute... The hell with the toys, where can I get he dresses'?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 am Speaking of which, I swear this is the same dress Gira's female friend wears in Shuggodom. It's like peasant steam punk to the max:
https://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/718033722613661696
It's pretty different. But both build upon a basic three-piece women's style.

Kogane's outfit is just a heavy white shirt/blouse, long tan skirt, and what's more or less a brown bodice. If I had to pick an era, it's very roughly a late-renaissance/Baroque peasant style.

What you linked is closer to a Victorian style further dressed up to be steampunk. Everything is far more complex and frilly, since it's meant to be shown off. The skirt is much less modest, and instead of a bodice you have what I guess would be classified as a vest or bustier? (Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a tailor!). The tan and brown coloring is similar for sure.

Despite the overall theme of Shuggodom being overtly steampunk, it doesn't seem to carry over to the fashion. Not even Racles' inner circle dresses like that.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sat May 27, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looking at it side by side I can see the difference, but man does a white and brown dress with cogs because it's Shuggodom sure seem like they should be the same lol

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”