My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 37 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.45 of 5 stars (11 votes)

That gate sure looks like a localized black hole

Cool broken ID Cores

Why don't we visit the DGP library more, this area is cool

Sueru and his cool geometry attack

Can't quite make out the text on Kekera's lolipop I think it says Kawazu something?

Brinigng back Punk Jack to exposition everything? Pretty funny to have this happen in an ampitheater though. Very Greek/Roman?

That aerial fight while fallig off the building is a good concept

Geat's ultimate is his berserker form?
JustLive13
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Re: KR Geats 37 discussion thread

Post by JustLive13 »

Where is everyone? This thread is way quieter than usual.
JustLive13

Post by JustLive13 »

My personal takeaways

* Boost Mark III looks solid for what it is. Hyped for Mark IX. I hope we get an insert theme, or at the very least have the opening play during its debut. Ultimate Revice using the same old OST music we’ve heard a million times in that show made its debut super-unwhelming.

* Punkjack’s a welcome (re)addition.

* The DGP might be the most hateable villain group in while. They go from timeline to timeline causing an insane amount of damage and loss for the sake of entertainment. Three of our four main characters have had some form of loss due to the DGP. They caused the deaths of Keiwa’s parents and Michinaga’s best friend, and they imprisoned Ace’s father while abducting his mother so they could force her into committing an ungodly amount of atrocities before they dispose of her.

* The Tycoon vs Buffa fight makes me wish we’ve seen more of them interacting one on one. Because everytime they do it’s been straight fire.

* Both are right and wrong in many ways. Keiwa’s wrong in blaming Mitsume but in his defense he didn’t know the details of that situation until Punkjack informed him. Buffa’s wrong in that his methods are in the extreme. He clearly doesn’t want another Touru situation to happen, and his approach to do so is by making sure neither the Touru’s of this world nor the greedy riders of this world compete in the game at all. That way he’ll weed out both the potential victims and the monsters the game creates such as Daichi and Morio. Keiwa on the other hand is deadset on reviving the victims of this game. He doesn’t want to forget like Azuma wants him to because he knows that the logic of “things will go back to the way they were before the DGP is false for many”, the people who died won’t have things return back to normal, neither will those close to the victims as he knows first hand. Even though neither he or Sara remembered the DGP was responsible for their parents death, they still had to live with the loss of their parents just like Taira’s family, Letter’s family, the family of the Heaven or Hell games victims etc. Even then he’s still somewhat backed into a corner given that his wish likely means more happiness sacrificed and even then the chances of anyone getting their wish granted during the era isn’t looking great because of Sueru’s Grand End. Even though I like both Ace and Neon, Keiwa and Michinaga are the two clear standouts. Neither’s presented as perfect. Keiwa can at times be short sighted and overly idealistic, while Buffa can be too stubborn for his own good. Yet, the show fleshes out and presents both of them well enough to get where they’re coming from. Michinaga’s done some f’d up things to get his ideal world, and while the show gets you to understand his viewpoint it never outright defends it. He is raging hypocritie but he himself acknowledges that. Everything he’s done is for the sake of getting his desire, but his desire isn’t something that makes him happy. That’s why Beroba’s so interested to him. Because of how deeply misreable he is even now.

* I’m intrigued by Niram, because it seems like the show is subtly setting up a face turn for him. With him last week seeming to genuinely want happiness for Kousei and briefly hesitating Sueru’s orders and even preemptively warning Ace. I think the shows probrably going for the angle the angle of the rider supporters of him being a disconnected person who’s bad actions are result of him being from a different timeline. He’s probrably someone who enjoys genuine happiness in a messed up way. His happiness comes from enjoying the delicacies from other timelines. He probrably feels something to like of “Mitsume’s suffering and stealing happiness from others but look at how many people get happiness as a result” Him being suprised at Sueru’s notion of a successor to Mitsume makes me think things will come to a head when Sueru tries to abduct Tsumuri. He interacted with her on a somewhat regular basis compared to Mitsume who was converted in the Goddess before the DGP became what it is now.

* I enjoyed this episod quite a bit
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

JustLive13 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:05 pm
* The DGP might be the most hateable villain group in while. They go from timeline to timeline causing an insane amount of damage and loss for the sake of entertainment. Three of our four main characters have had some form of loss due to the DGP. They caused the deaths of Keiwa’s parents and Michinaga’s best friend, and they imprisoned Ace’s father while abducting his mother so they could force her into committing an ungodly amount of atrocities before they dispose of her.
Four out of four.

Neon's family situation is an outright mess because of her father getting his wish by becoming a sponsor.

Even if you go with the idea that she wouldn't exist without that wish and that it wouldn't be this bad for her if she never joined and learned what she has, she still has tremendous loss because of it.

Starting with the life of her predecessor before she came to be means she was put there to live the life that developed from how her parents ended up in the aftermath and it's unclear if she got into the game in the first place because of her father, but him getting her back in at the very least has lead to her loss of her sense of existence and perceived right to live her life and interact with everyone.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

>Neon's family situation is an outright mess because of her father getting his wish by becoming a sponsor.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it doesn't make sense for the wish to go the way it did? Why didn't he just wish his kid back to life. Why not just use the phoenix down on Aerith? "Oh, because the story required it" isn't the most compelling reason. All it's really done is put Neon on a quest to erase herself from history since she was "never a person to begin with???" Hey, Neon, guess what, I wasn't a person till I was born too
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

It's strange to treat the truth of Mitsumi as such a grand reveal. Most viewers have correctly guessed it at this point. And it doesn't affect anything, all the characters have already made up their minds of what they're going to do regardless of this truth.

Here's a morally grey question, do you agree with Buffa or Tycoon?
- Buffa: Accept what is lost is lost. The messed up world is what it is now and the dead won't come back. Break the cycle and stop the DGP for good to prevent more victims.
- Tycoon: Keep the DGP running, use the happiness taken from others to bring back the dead. Keep the cycle going with more players joining and dying until somehow a world where everyone is happy can be achieved.
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:28 pm The more I think about it, the more it seems like it doesn't make sense for the wish to go the way it did? Why didn't he just wish his kid back to life. Why not just use the phoenix down on Aerith? "Oh, because the story required it" isn't the most compelling reason. All it's really done is put Neon on a quest to erase herself from history since she was "never a person to begin with???" Hey, Neon, guess what, I wasn't a person till I was born too
Niram offered to bring Akari back, but the Dad said he was broken when she died and couldn't face her. It then gets weird when it's suggested he can have his memory altered and he instead decided to create Neon and keep his memories (or recovered them at some point).

Neon does need to sort things like that out, but it's understandably jumbled for her and she's overly focused on a singular goal she came up with as the characters tend to be and hopefully she sorts it all out by the end.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess the other weird thing is that even if she doesn't like her parents, she obviously does like her Neon TV fans. So when we saw her getting torn apart on her birthday, that was all DGP audience members saying that, the regular Neon TV people have no idea and still want her to come back

So it's like Neon saying "I have no one here" but "let me do this one last mission because of all these people that care about me" ???
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:16 pm I guess the other weird thing is that even if she doesn't like her parents, she obviously does like her Neon TV fans. So when we saw her getting torn apart on her birthday, that was all DGP audience members saying that, the regular Neon TV people have no idea and still want her to come back

So it's like Neon saying "I have no one here" but "let me do this one last mission because of all these people that care about me" ???
That's going to come down to her accepting everything.

Questioning her existence has lead to her feeling like she doesn't have the right to be there and inadvertently deceiving everyone she interacts with on some level. Even if it's someone who knows her situation and is a friend and/or complete fan, it all came to be because of the life she's led that wasn't originally hers.

It's muddy to be sure and as long as she sticks to this "removing" herself from the problem, she's going to want lessen the fallout as much as she can for those she knows it will affect. Of course, that also means that her wish goes out the window once she gets it together and continues on instead of running off.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Aha! So Ace's mom did do the nasty in the past-y. That's so like humanity: give them time travel and they go fuck things up.:lol:

I rather liked this episode overall. Things are moving at a swift pace, and the ideological arguments are starting to come to a head and are getting resolved. I figured Buffa was going to knock out one of the girls, but both of them is a bit much. Neon's story obviously isn't done, but they're going to have to come up with some kind of hindquarters-pull to get Nago back, unless we're really going to go a dozen episodes with the show's leading lady not being a Rider.

Meanwhile, the show is clearly setting up Tsumuri to be a new goddess. But the writing is kind of stepping on itself in getting there. Mitsume was in love with a DGP player, but the last I checked, Tsumuri wasn't looking to jump anyone's bones. Worse, she's technically still Ace's sister...

And Beroba and Kekera, what in god's sake did you wish for? Obviously that's meant to be an ominous wish; I just hope they don't hold it over our heads for too long.

Though, kicking the tires of the series a bit, and I feel like Kekera's character motivations are making less sense than before. He watches the DGP for laughter? But Keiwa isn't really funny. Yeah, he's the butt monkey of the group, but he's not really comical. If you're after laughter, he's not a good choice other than when Boost Mark 1 is flying off. Also, that doesn't entirely jibe with his constant pushing of Keiwa to be something more.

Plot aside, I like the look for Geats' new form. This series has done a great job making each of his new forms look like they belong together; we haven't had the wild swings in designs that some series have done. And equally important, this isn't a kitbash of all of his different power-ups (looking at you, Build Genius).

Though at 38 episodes in, I guess the other riders aren't getting upgraded forms? The main character gets the most toys, of course. But usually everyone else would be upgraded before we're on to the main rider's final form. We're reaching the part of the series where Toei/Bandai are just about done rolling out toys. Buffa is the closest thing there is thus far, and that's not much. (As an aside, I hope he gets to fight the staff soon. If we don't get a Buffa/Gazer rematch, I'm going to be disappointed!)

Subbing question: are the English subtitles for the DGP/JGP/DR inserted by Toei, or is that the subbing group's work? Because that tail wiping away the "no exceptions" rule at the end, besides being very unexpected, was very well done. It's only a couple of frames, but the flames look like they go over the English subtitles, which would be a very tricky to do as a post-broadcast subtitle.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:31 pm Sueru and his cool geometry attack
Feel the cutting power of an isosceles triangle! :lol:
Brinigng back Punk Jack to exposition everything? Pretty funny to have this happen in an amphitheater though. Very Greek/Roman?
Punk Jack being back is still kind of a mess with regards to the plot. But the historical significance of an amphitheater is a good catch, and a neat bit of detail that I'll give Toei credit for.
Thankfully, as we're 37 episodes in, I think it's safe to say this won't be drawn out. The series doesn't have time for Geats to go 'zerking for half a dozen episodes. But yeah, I suppose it's not a KR series without someone going berserk...
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed May 31, 2023 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Neon's story obviously isn't done, but they're going to have to come up with some kind of hindquarters-pull to get Nago back, unless we're really going to go a dozen episodes without the show's leading lady not being a Rider.

I really don't know where Neon's story is going. It's got me worried

>Meanwhile, the show is clearly setting up Tsumuri to be a new goddess. But the writing is kind of stepping on itself in getting there. Mitsume was in love with a DGP player, but the last I checked, Tsumuri wasn't looking to jump anyone's bones. Worse, she's technically still Ace's sister...

And yet, Tsumuri did bring Ace back from the dead. Speaking of which, when are they going to acknowledge that, or is that being held back as a big reveal?

>And Beroba and Kekera, what in god's sake did you wish for? Obviously that's meant to be an ominous wish; I just hope they don't hold it over our heads for too long.

Sorta seems like they wished to not get killed if the grand end happens while tehy're still here. Dunno though

>If you're after laughter, he's not a good choice other than when Boost Mark 1 is flying off. Also, that doesn't entirely jibe with his constant pushing of Keiwa to be something more.

Don't worry Kekera, I get why you think Keiwa is hilarious

>Subbing question: are the English subtitles for the DGP/JGP/DR inserted by Toei, or is that the subbing group's work? Because that tail wiping away the "no exceptions" rule at the end, besides being very unexpected, was very well done. It's only a couple of frames, but the flames look like they go over the English subtitles, which would be a very tricky to do as a post-broadcast subtitle.

Nah, it's Japanese only in the original. Stepping through frame by frame, it's pretty obvious the flame is under t he English text. There are ways of cleverly cutting the text around a moving impediment or using transparency to make it look like it's in flames, but that's not what's going on h ere
Thankfully, as we're 37 episodes in, I think it's safe to say this won't be drawn out. The series doesn't have time for Geats to go 'zerking for half a dozen episodes. But yeah, I suppose it's not a KR series without someone going berserk...
[/quote]

Oh damn, I forgot that's becoming a trope. I blame Build for this
Pamouza
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: 何? 私は日本語を知りません。
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Pamouza »

• I am surprised at how much I really enjoy this series so far. It's almost night and day compared to Revice. I also like that most of the characters aren't 2 dimensional at best in some cases. If I had to pick a side. I'd go with Team Tycoon; but, only because he's being realistic (albeit mildly and I can sort of explain my reasoning).

It's a multi-dimensional death game being broadcast to different timelines. If this isn't nipped in the bud now and shown that the show can go on; but, under mediated circumstances. What's exactly stopping another attempt? I mean this doesn't seem like a situation where people with these exact abilities can't just be fabricated with future technology like before. I know Mitsume-san and Tsurumi seem one of a kind, but the odds of their being two means more can awaken to said power in the future. Unless that wish Ace made a while back to make Tsumuri his sister is what actually allowed her to awaken Goddess powers, because technically that would make her Mitsume's daughter. Ace is a reincarnation, but clearly, with Boost MK III he also has her abilities as well. (As a funny side note shouldn't Girori also have these abilities since he is also Ace's family? Or am I missing something.)(Also, a small nice touch that I like is that all of Geat's significant forms use Roman Numerals. Cool, Toei.)
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

Pamouza wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 am What's exactly stopping another attempt? I mean this doesn't seem like a situation where people with these exact abilities can't just be fabricated with future technology like before. I know Mitsume-san and Tsurumi seem one of a kind, but the odds of their being two means more can awaken to said power in the future. Unless that wish Ace made a while back to make Tsumuri his sister is what actually allowed her to awaken Goddess powers, because technically that would make her Mitsume's daughter. Ace is a reincarnation, but clearly, with Boost MK III he also has her abilities as well. (As a funny side note shouldn't Girori also have these abilities since he is also Ace's family? Or am I missing something.)(Also, a small nice touch that I like is that all of Geat's significant forms use Roman Numerals. Cool, Toei.)[/list]
They haven't really gone into where the power comes from and they seemed surprised Mitsume manifested it (hence the wish not being prize until after they turned her into the Goddess) and it seems Tsumuri is a successor that they've been preparing for when the Goddess hits her limit. This may suggest previous experience, but these shows often explain things for something new without saying how they know.

They say people aren't born, but made in the future, but haven't established if they carry any genetics from anyone else or just whip them up out of nowhere. Either way, whatever was done to make Tsumuri Mitsume's succesor will be enough for Ace to keep calling her his sister (not that he needed an excuse).

Also, I know the DGP staff have a shared theme with their names, but Mitsume and Tsumuri seem to take that a bit further.

The logistics of Ace's wish weren't established and since they all knew a wish was the cause, the wish just had them all live together with family positions as titles.
Pamouza
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: 何? 私は日本語を知りません。
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Pamouza »

Gokider wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:56 am
Pamouza wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 am What's exactly stopping another attempt? I mean this doesn't seem like a situation where people with these exact abilities can't just be fabricated with future technology like before. I know Mitsume-san and Tsurumi seem one of a kind, but the odds of their being two means more can awaken to said power in the future. Unless that wish Ace made a while back to make Tsumuri his sister is what actually allowed her to awaken Goddess powers, because technically that would make her Mitsume's daughter. Ace is a reincarnation, but clearly, with Boost MK III he also has her abilities as well. (As a funny side note shouldn't Girori also have these abilities since he is also Ace's family? Or am I missing something.)(Also, a small nice touch that I like is that all of Geat's significant forms use Roman Numerals. Cool, Toei.)[/list]
They haven't really gone into where the power comes from and they seemed surprised Mitsume manifested it (hence the wish not being prize until after they turned her into the Goddess) and it seems Tsumuri is a successor that they've been preparing for when the Goddess hits her limit. This may suggest previous experience, but these shows often explain things for something new without saying how they know.

They say people aren't born, but made in the future, but haven't established if they carry any genetics from anyone else or just whip them up out of nowhere. Either way, whatever was done to make Tsumuri Mitsume's succesor will be enough for Ace to keep calling her his sister (not that he needed an excuse).

Also, I know the DGP staff have a shared theme with their names, but Mitsume and Tsumuri seem to take that a bit further.

The logistics of Ace's wish weren't established and since they all knew a wish was the cause, the wish just had them all live together with family positions as titles.
  • That may be true; but, that isn't exactly what I meant. I apologize for not being clear with my explanation on why I side more with Keiwa's albeit misguided ideology. I meant to say that what is really stopping them from continuing the DGP in general even without a goddess? Buffa may be morally correct in wanting to end it all, but so far we don't know if those who made the DGP can't just fabricate more people to run another game show, but in a different timeline. I'm just saying that until we figure out how Geats ends. The DGP will seem almost like Shocker in the sense that they have the ability (at least theoretically) to show up again no matter what. Since this reality isn't their own.

Yes, the fabrication of individuals is what has led me to my original point. Yet you are also right. I do not know the capacity in which that wish has changed things, so potentially it could just be titles as you put it; but, the way Tsumuri-san's abilities seemed to almost grow and manifest faster (my speculation) after the wish has my brain thinking that Ace's wish had complications even he wasn't able to plan out.

Now that you bring it up. The eye concept is everywhere. I know that it's new information bias, but once I realized the meaning of the names, the fact that the drivers are called desire driver, the entire tournament is a show of sorts, and the wish is what the contestant desires the most I assume is in part because of the old adage that “ the eye is the window to the soul ”. I am amazed by it all.
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

This is the best thing TOEI wize of the 2020's... Any disagreement?

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”