Why are the seasons before W that TV-Nihon subbed called Kamen Rider instead of Masked Rider?

Rider Finish
fdsfgs71
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Why are the seasons before W that TV-Nihon subbed called Kamen Rider instead of Masked Rider?

Post by fdsfgs71 »

I mean, with the title cards themselves saying Masked Rider as in Faiz (https://i.imgur.com/b5r4yS6.png) and Decade (https://i.imgur.com/XfxQy25.png) and Kabuto literally calling it the "Masked Rider System" in English, it should have been obvious that Toei intended for the franchise to be called Masked Rider before W/Double started airing. And this was even before the Gotchard cards (https://i.imgur.com/2BxFrbf.jpg) came out that stick to the convention with every rider before Decade having "Masked Rider" in their name instead of "Kamen Rider".

So why did TV-Nihon ignore this convention and keep the Kamen in Kamen Rider untranslated when the franchise was clearly called Masked Rider at the time instead?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Why are the seasons before W that TV-Nihon subbed called Kamen Rider instead of Masked Rider?

Post by Lunagel »

Kamen Rider sounds cooler
fdsfgs71

Re: Why are the seasons before W that TV-Nihon subbed called Kamen Rider instead of Masked Rider?

Post by fdsfgs71 »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:10 pm Kamen Rider sounds cooler
It's not about what "sounds cooler" though. If Toei wanted it to be known as Kamen Rider overseas, then they wouldn't have put "Masked Rider" explicitly in the title cards of all these series. Same with calling it the "Masked Rider System" in Kabuto.

The fact that the Gotchard cards keep with the convention of every Rider from Decade and earlier being called a Masked Rider show that Toei intends and always intended for this era of the franchise to be known as Masked Rider - NOT Kamen Rider!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Sorry, is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
fdsfgs71

Post by fdsfgs71 »

Just the five minute one, figure I'd try it out first and if I liked it I could purchase a half hour one later.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

fdsfgs71 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:12 pm
Lunagel wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:10 pm Kamen Rider sounds cooler
It's not about what "sounds cooler" though. If Toei wanted it to be known as Kamen Rider overseas, then they wouldn't have put "Masked Rider" explicitly in the title cards of all these series. Same with calling it the "Masked Rider System" in Kabuto.

The fact that the Gotchard cards keep with the convention of every Rider from Decade and earlier being called a Masked Rider show that Toei intends and always intended for this era of the franchise to be known as Masked Rider - NOT Kamen Rider!
The logo says "Kamen Rider Double" and yet you insist on calling it W. If Toei wanted it to be called Kamen Rider W, they wouldn't have put "Double" explicitly in the title card of that series.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:36 am The logo says "Kamen Rider Double" and yet you insist on calling it W. If Toei wanted it to be called Kamen Rider W, they wouldn't have put "Double" explicitly in the title card of that series.
Both W and Double work, it's personal interpretation after all. Even the published books sometimes use W.
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

The W promo subbed in 2009 said Double in the subtitles.

Return to “Kamen Rider (Completed)”