Is Bugnaraku a reference to imperial/modern Japan?

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Is Bugnaraku a reference to imperial/modern Japan?

Post by takenoko »

Wait, is King-Ohger some weird imperial Japan propaganda? The Bugnaraku at the end of this story sure sounds a lot like Japan from World War II. Both being invasive forces that lost, and having to pay for it for the rest of time? What do you think? Too crack pot of a theory?
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Is Bugnaraku a reference to imperial/modern Japan?

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:29 am Wait, is King-Ohger some weird imperial Japan propaganda?
It's certainly always had this weird tinge of romanticizing benevolent dictatorships, especially with last week's episode and the extras putting their lives in their rulers' hands. So I don't think you're off-base. Though I'm not sure about Imperial Japanese propaganda in particular.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Is Bugnaraku a reference to imperial/modern Japan?

Post by takenoko »

I mean, Japan was an aggressor in WWII and committed a lot of terrible war crimes. And since then, has been under America's thumb for the last half century in certain ways. They can't have their own army and stuff and are forced to have American bases on their land

And the Bugnaraku are complaining about paying for the crimes of a war of aggression that their ancestors did. If this is the point the writer is trying to make, I get the point, but like King-Ohger's messiness, it feels weird to stick it here in this kid's TV show. And the one thing you don't want is to teach kids that there wasn't some culpability from Japan's actions during that war either. Like you don't want them growing up to be like Holocaust deniers

It's just weird!

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”