Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Abaranger 20 Years Later thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Man, the way they transition their young selves to their current selves in the opening is pretty rough. We know they got old, you don't need to do a direct comparison!

Man, when was the last time we saw Yatsudenwani? He sure sounds odd, I hope his voice actor is okay

Oh there's Suwa Tarou

Oh hey, the Abaranger with DonBrothers scene

Gecko's voice definitely sounds familiar

Asuka's looking good

Funny that it looks like this girl is going to actually have some plot stuff going on with her. Wonder if that other girl is Mai grown up?

When is Ran going to show up?

Guess I wasn't expecting the Abarangers to be grabbing their crotches. This is the power of a 20 year after movie

Did they just pee their pants?

Oh hey it's the same roof as the Hurri with DonBros

What, you revived AbareKiller again? In the same way??

Guess I never appreciated how nice AbareKiller's suit was

I wonder if this girl is a parody of someone the movie's writer dislikes in real life, or just general social commentary in general

Man,I really don't remember Killer's abilities

There's Ranru at the halfway mark!

Yukito is tracking down the kids that made fun of her? That's pretty extreme

Huh, weirdly good moves from the gecko monster

Oh no, Ryouga got his yellow dust all over Nakadai

lol at yellow and black getting knocked over in the background

What is that mascot in her room?

Why was it so funny when she thought the lady coming in was AbareYellow?

This story about becoming a dance instructor strains reality lol. Is her hair style now supposed to be based on the kid version of her?

That's great, she's still bad at the dance

Is Nakadai's actor wearing a bad wig?

Suddenly were' in the valley location lol

Neat that we don't get the troopers till 45 minutes into the movie

The abare forms ewre fun, but I wish Ranru's flying was a bit better

Pretty creative way of getting around the lack of AbareKing suits being usable after 20 years. Would have preferred each of them carrying out their partner's powers instead of getting an upgrade AbareMax, but that's how the red steals the spotlight trope goes!

Oh, is that the real actress for Mai? Yeah, it looks like her child actress name was Banno Maya, but her real name is Suzuno Maya, which is what she's going by now. That's a real treat, since they almost always replace the child actors for these things

Interestingly enough, if you pay attention to the opening credits, they credit her under her child actress name

Of course this was written by Arakawa Naruhisa. You can tell from his voice and jokes that this guy really gets what makes Abaranger's characters and world stand out. Does it sort of feel like Arakawa has a chip on his shoulder about people not liking Abaranger as much as they could have back in the day?

And the director's Kimura Hisashi, who hasn't directed that much toku that I can see, but he's done Trick and Kindaichi dramas and you can tell from his Yabe Kenzou spinoffs that he's a big Rider fan. It's a good crew!

I feel like the guys on the panel are total cameos for something? Oh, they're just a YouTube group called Fischer's

Oh weird, 17 minutes in you can see Iota's classmate. Totally thought that was Mai

My one disappointment is that they didn't bring back Rije's actress.
msf232
Faiz
Pronouns: Male
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Re: Abaranger 20 Years Later thread

Post by msf232 »

The wiki link is broken in the first post

This movie actually felt a lot better than the Hurricaneger 20 years one somehow... might have been because this actually worked as a "return" for the original characters where the Hurricaneger one just made up new characters for the same actors and actresses
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Pronouns: Toast

Post by takenoko »

Should be fixed now, people move the pages around sometimes

I'm just thinking now, is Yatsudenwani a joke on the alligator and clock from peter pan? Sorry if that's part of his backstory, but it has been 20 years since I've watched Abaranger
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Watched this ages ago. Kind of weird to see Super Sentai doing a plot about cancel culture, honestly. I enjoyed it though. A lot of these X Years After movies aren't very good, but I liked this one.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Androzani84
Quote: I fear that someday people will cite quotes I never said - Albert Einstein

Post by Androzani84 »

You asked about the Trinoid VAs and I’ll answer.

Kousei Sutou, who voices Yatsudenwani was going through health issues that forced him into retirement by the time this came out. This was his last role.

And the Gecko is Tomokazu Seki, who’s been in practically everything that can be considered Toku (but most prominently, he was Buldont in Ohranger, Bibidevi in Megaranger, Amazon and Stronger every time Toei needs to give them minor dialogue in a reunion movie, Glen-Fire, Alien Icarus and the current voices for Ultraman Great and Ultraman Ace in the Ultra Series, the “robot voice” for Gokaiger and Ryusoulger (along with playing Gaisoulg in the latter) and Gerojim in King-Ohger)
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

I'm pretty sure they film that carpark fight at the same time as when they film the Don vs Aba special. Everyone was there already.

I forgot that AbareKiller's dagger is actually a pen.

A planet peeing? Internet mob culture? Random pointless talk show? Chaos rollcalls? Is this peak Abaranger wackiness?

Abared saying 'Thank you all! It's ending now", and then the MOTW answering "It's over already?!". I almost feel like this is a conversation between the cast and the viewers.

All the 5 original casts and the voice actors for the Bakuryuu came back. Interesting choices that they used the original old name card in the OP and then transited into their current faces, really showed the age difference there.

On top of the main cast, they got most of the supporting casts back as well.
- Emiri, Nishijima Michi, also known as AbarePink. She bascially ran the show here.
- The original actor of Mai, Banno Maya, is now all grown up.
- Yokota-san
- They even properly credited Okumura Koen-san in the OP, although he can only appeared in a photo (RIP).
- Special mention to Yatsudenwani's voice actor, Tsukui Kyosei. He was plagued by illness for years but still came back for this role. However, he has since lost his voice and mobility, and is now retired. He now types by holding a stick in his mouth, and has begun training in using Gaze-input, which captures objects on the screen with his gaze and converting it into text for communication.

I was curious on the guest stars in the AsakaraTV talk show, so I went and did some digging:
- The MC Taharahara Soichirowho is played by Tate Gota (殺陣剛太). He guest star in Donbrothers ep21 as the gang boss.
- Watari Hirosh, the one who kept trying to talk, played as himself. He's most famous for his role as Space Sheriff Sharivan. He's also BoukenSilver's dad.
- Silk Road (シルクロード) and Ndaho (ンダホ), also played as themselves. The Fischer's(フィッシャーズ) is a YouTuber group formed in 2010 that consists of six guys doing random stuff on videos. They evolved to having appearances in various TVs, movies and CMs.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's sad to hear about Yatsudenwani's voice actor. You could tell something was off from the performance, but it's still really cool that he came back to do the job

Makes sense that a movie about internet culture would invite Youtubers as guests

It's interesting that they still credit her as Banno Maya, just so people know it's the original actress. But if people want to know what she's up to currently, her name now is Suzuno Maya (kid actors usually use stage names to protect their identity). Or maybe she got married. She didn't have an internet presence before this movie, so I think she's trying to reenter the world of acting?
https://x.com/maya_suzuno
https://www.instagram.com/maya_suzuno/

This movie was probably enjoyable because they got Arakawa to write it, he's a veteran sentai writer and wrote over half of the original Aba episodes
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Androzani84 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:20 am And the Gecko is Tomokazu Seki, who’s been in practically everything that can be considered Toku (but most prominently, he was Buldont in Ohranger, Bibidevi in Megaranger, Amazon and Stronger every time Toei needs to give them minor dialogue in a reunion movie, Glen-Fire, Alien Icarus and the current voices for Ultraman Great and Ultraman Ace in the Ultra Series, the “robot voice” for Gokaiger and Ryusoulger (along with playing Gaisoulg in the latter) and Gerojim in King-Ohger)
He's also the Japanese voice of Ezio Auditore and Sly Cooper.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:43 am That's sad to hear about Yatsudenwani's voice actor. You could tell something was off from the performance, but it's still really cool that he came back to do the job

Makes sense that a movie about internet culture would invite Youtubers as guests

It's interesting that they still credit her as Banno Maya, just so people know it's the original actress. But if people want to know what she's up to currently, her name now is Suzuno Maya (kid actors usually use stage names to protect their identity). Or maybe she got married. She didn't have an internet presence before this movie, so I think she's trying to reenter the world of acting?
https://x.com/maya_suzuno
https://www.instagram.com/maya_suzuno/

This movie was probably enjoyable because they got Arakawa to write it, he's a veteran sentai writer and wrote over half of the original Aba episodes
M.A.O. still gets credited with her real name whenever she pops back up to play Luka, nice and consistent.

Marriage is probably more likely I'd have thought. I've seen speculation that Murakami Erica (Kamakiri Ohger) uses a stage name as her surname. Her dad's Canadian, so her real surname being a Japanese one would be unusual.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:35 am
Marriage is probably more likely I'd have thought. I've seen speculation that Murakami Erica (Kamakiri Ohger) uses a stage name as her surname. Her dad's Canadian, so her real surname being a Japanese one would be unusual.
Not necessarily. While it's not common, it's not unheard of for foreign husbands to take their wives' last names on marriage. It smoothes out a lot of red tape and makes it easier on the kids too. Actually, although the law currently requires one of the two spouses to change their name to match (although there is legislation in the works to allow for different family names) this doesn't apply to foreign marriages due to needing to change name in home country first. It's entirely possible that her mother kept her maiden name and gave it to her kids.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>M.A.O. still gets credited with her real name whenever she pops back up to play Luka, nice and consistent.

It hought MAO was her voice actress name, and she uses her acting name for performing live

>Marriage is probably more likely I'd have thought. I've seen speculation that Murakami Erica (Kamakiri Ohger) uses a stage name as her surname. Her dad's Canadian, so her real surname being a Japanese one would be unusual.

Yeah, but since it went from Banno to Suzuno, it makes me think that Banno was just an adapted version of her actual name. Normally you can kind of see where they get the stage name from based on their actual name
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:41 am It hought MAO was her voice actress name, and she uses her acting name for performing live
Technically yes, but at this point I think her occasional Luka appearances are the only time she ever really publicly shows her face anymore.
Seen:
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:35 pm
takenoko wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:41 am It hought MAO was her voice actress name, and she uses her acting name for performing live
Technically yes, but at this point I think her occasional Luka appearances are the only time she ever really publicly shows her face anymore.
"Mao Ichimichi" for live acting and "M•A•O" for voice acting. Former stage name was "Rio Minami".

Return to “Super Sentai (Completed)”