Wiki Link
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Phase In! Tangent Knights on the Scene!

Post by FangTrigger »

First things first:

Why did no one tell me Graphic Audio was a thing?

I've been listening to audiobooks for about 2 years now and while I'm used to the standard one/two voice actors that do their best to cover an entire book on their own, Graphic Audio does what I have been doing when I read and turns it into 'A movie in your mind.' So color me absolutely shocked, flabbergasted, and schmeckeldorfed by the discovery of an audiobook with a Super Sentai motif!

It's the year 2046. New technology developed on the artificial island of New Avalon by the tech conglomerate Catchfire Industries has allowed humanity to interact with other parallel Tangential Earths (dimensions that run on the same timeline as our own, but with different histories) sparking revolutions in all sectors of life. To face this blossoming age of new beliefs and uncertainty, Catchfire Industries CEO Morgan Herrera uses her connections and quasi-monopoly to develop the peacekeeping team of cybernetically enhanced humans named Fireforce (no relation to Rescue Fire or Rescue Force) to keep the peace from threats local and beyond our dimension.

All this, however, matters little to her flightly daughter Corazón “Cory” Kagami. She's busy trying to juggle college, a barista job, tokusatsu fanclub, and Prom is tomorrow! (That last bit is untrue. Just had to have a little fun.) As one would imagine, the rift between mother and daughter is vast, but one night when Cory attempts to bridge that gap, she ends up bonding with the strongest version of her mothers Cybernetic Armor and is thrust into a new world reminiscent of her favorite tokusatsu series.

Can Cory master this new armor and rise to be the hero she always admired? What is the origin of these monster attacks that have begun plaguing New Avalon? And, most importantly, will she be able to fit all this in in time to watch the newest Super Sentai episode?

All in all, I love this series. There's a little bit of something for everyone who is a fan of toku series such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and even Sailor Moon. They even manage to squeeze in a mecha fight! Cory is your usual 'I believe in the greater good' type of hero and even though there are times where I would say "Girl, what are you doing?' to myself, I always keep listening on to see where the book would go from there. I became enthralled with the world of Tangent Knights and the little easter eggs the author sprinkles in.
Spoiler
At one point in the series, Cory ends up in a villians lair, and when it's time to do the salut, she goes 'Ei!' like a shocker grunt and the MOW growls "'Ei!?'" in response and I just giggle everytime.
Truthfully, my words aren't doing this series the justice it deserves, so I encourage everyone to stop by Grapicaudio to support the official release or, if you're strapped for cash, find an alternative.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”