King-Ohger 44 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:28 pm

★★★★★
22%
★★★★
44%
★★★
22%
★★
11%
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 44 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.1 out of 5 (10 votes)

That felt like less a reveal about the king's possessions than an ad to buy the props lol

Why's everyone 3:30 in sound like they're talking through a filter

Such smart suits, transforming around the balloon

Oh it's just Hirubiru again

What's that tree in the middle. Is that where the castle is usually?

Why are their symbols glowing from her explosion like some sort of video game power up?

Is that cage strong enough for Yanma to sit on it?

Racles, implementing the sneaky tactic of reverse psychology

So is his bee wife also in prison with him or is she just visiting?

Hmm, so they had their secret power that they unlocked before, but there's also this new secret power that they can unlock?

Alright episode for Yanma, he's still never my favorite when he comes up. Racles still winning the most points in the background

Props to the lightning King-Ohger, we didn't get a lot of movement, but some of the lightning attacks were cool
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: King-Ohger 44 discussion post

Post by Yaiba »

Was Ohsama Sentai not the Six Kingdom Alliance? The clauses Rita read out were exactly the same as when they formed the sentai. They had been operating like that for like 2/3 of the series already. This reforming again was for no reason other than ticking off the checkbox for the cool factor.

Continuing the tradition of Yanma's focus episodes being dumb and didn't make sense. Hirubiru's shenanigan was getting repetitive and boring too. Didn't she need to directly whisper into your ear? That's a lot of people and they're not wearing headphones, or did Dagdedo amplified her power? Well with her gone at least now the other 3 Jesters will actually do something.

The heartfelt talk on the roof top was nice. But other than that this episode wasn't connecting for me.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Huh. That was an interesting enough episode with some good moments. But it really only works if you don't think about it too hard or try to connect it to the rest of the series.

So even when Racles is paying his penance, he's still scheming. I like that.:lol: It's very fitting for him, and a far more interesting character trait than pulling a 180 hard heel-face-turn and suddenly becoming a flawless hero.

Given that this series has been all about rulers, it was inevitable that at some point, someone would get the "power corrupts" Aesop. Of those, Yanma was probably the best choice since he's had a chip on his shoulder since the very start (though Himeno would be a close second). It was handled okay, but it won't be one of those Sentai episodes that stands out. Gira slugging Yanma felt good (perhaps too good!), but as far as Sentai tropes go, it wasn't really earned. To play that trope well, you need more of a build-up to it.

I guess this is the capstone to Yanma's overall arc, as well. Given that the previous round of focus episodes didn't entirely wrap up anyone's arc, and that we're now into January and full-on "kill all the generals" mode, this final stretch of episodes will have to pull triple duty of closing out the character arcs, getting rid of the generals, and setting up the Final Confrontation(TM). Which is a lot to ask of this series given how slow it tends to move.

I don't really get why they're chasing yet another power-up though. They just duplicated Dagdedo's power to kill an immortal, and before that we had the whole song and dance with lightning mode. It seems like this is just going to be a redux of the latter, except now it doesn't leave you half-dead in the process? Presumably, this power can't kill Dagdedo, otherwise the OG kings would have done it 2000 years ago. So I'm really not sure what role it plays if it's not a redux.

And Dagdedo is surprisingly calm for having just died. I mean, he's throwing a tantrum. But for a god, that he's not smiting half of all existence is being pretty calm.:lol:

Finally, I'm not sure where I sit with Racles as the all-knowing mentor now. He's being used as a walking (and mugging) exposition bot for the series' deep lore. And while the audience (and the characters) need to know these things, it also means that the man with all the answers has been sitting there since episode 1. It kind of undermines the efforts of the rulers to get the answers earlier on.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 pm That felt like less a reveal about the king's possessions than an ad to buy the props lol
Are the props/trinkets for sale?
Why's everyone 3:30 in sound like they're talking through a filter
I honestly can't tell if it was a bad boom mic pick-up, or if they ADRed it to sound like a bad pick-up. I suspect it's the former, but Toei uses ADR in the odded places.
Is that cage strong enough for Yanma to sit on it?
It almost wasn't!:lol: (Not that we'd get to see any takes where it fell apart)
So is his bee wife also in prison with him or is she just visiting?
Given that she seemed to be able to enter, I'm going to go with "just visiting". Or to be more precise, a conjugal visit. :oops:

She was never charged with any crimes, as that was all Racles' doing. So there's no reason to think she'd be sentenced to prison with him.
Props to the lightning King-Ohger, we didn't get a lot of movement, but some of the lightning attacks were cool
Yeah, that was kind of a strange mecha fight on multiple levels. We got base King-Ohger again (not even the formation with the spider), which is cool to see. But it's a pure no-contact fight that up until Hirubiru explodes, all takes place on a virtual set. And then once Hirubiru does explode, they're once again using the physical miniature set, and they're apparently outside?!

I don't know what to make of either halves of that. We've seen the Hirubiru suit used extensively in fighting, so unless it was somehow damaged, I can't see why they wouldn't want to use it in the mecha fight. And the use of virtual sets adds to that weirdness. On the other hand, we see mecha fights staged outdoors so incredibly rarely, and yet here's a couple of outdoor shots, complete with the miniature village, thrown in as what feels like an afterthought. The explosion following Hirubiru's death was pretty massive, but they've used rather large quantities of pyrotechnics indoors before, as well. :?
Yaiba wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:47 am Was Ohsama Sentai not the Six Kingdom Alliance? The clauses Rita read out were exactly the same as when they formed the sentai. They had been operating like that for like 2/3 of the series already. This reforming again was for no reason other than ticking off the checkbox for the cool factor.
The leaderless Sentai, where the guy in red and wearing the crown is clearly their leader.
Didn't she need to directly whisper into your ear? That's a lot of people and they're not wearing headphones, or did Dagdedo amplified her power?
That is a fantastic question. One I'm not sure we're going to get an answer to. Either way, it is nice to be rid of her. As far as generals go, her power was OP.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>So even when Racles is paying his penance, he's still scheming. I like that.:lol: It's very fitting for him, and a far more interesting character trait than pulling a 180 hard heel-face-turn and suddenly becoming a flawless hero.

Racles is definitely becoming one of the stronger elements of this series

>Gira slugging Yanma felt good (perhaps too good!), but as far as Sentai tropes go, it wasn't really earned. To play that trope well, you need more of a build-up to it.

All we need is for Gira to go, "Do you see how much it hurts me to hurt you?" and the toxic yaoi relationship would be complete

>I don't really get why they're chasing yet another power-up though.

It just feels like this writer's favorite tool to go for when they can't come up with a new plot. It's basically their rotating mcmuffin

>re the props/trinkets for sale?

I'm not even going to check (since p bandais' website sucks), but I'd think it's a safe bet

>She was never charged with any crimes, as that was all Racles' doing. So there's no reason to think she'd be sentenced to prison with him.

Didn't he say "If you want to keep going with me, you're going to be betraying the people"? But then again, that probably was a throwaway line, considering this series

>But it's a pure no-contact fight that up until Hirubiru explodes, all takes place on a virtual set. And then once Hirubiru does explode, they're once again using the physical miniature set, and they're apparently outside?!

lol, that's even mroe hilarious when you point out those details
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:33 am

I'm not even going to check (since p bandais' website sucks), but I'd think it's a safe bet
You bet your wallet they are! (No, seriously, bet your wallet, Himeno's tiara alone is $2000. The other guys range from about $100 to $300 each)
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:13 am
takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:33 am

You bet your wallet they are! (No, seriously, bet your wallet, Himeno's tiara alone is $2000. The other guys range from about $100 to $300 each)
$2000?! Holy fuck! :shock:

It's just costume jewelry! I can't imagine Bandai is putting actual diamonds or the like in there...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 am

It's just costume jewelry! I can't imagine Bandai is putting actual diamonds or the like in there...
Yes, but it also lets you shoot lightning
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:14 am
ViRGE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 am $2000?! Holy fuck! :shock:

Yes, but it also lets you shoot lightning
Shooting lightning is more of a Yanma thing, no? Though I'm not actually sure what Himeno's power is.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 am

Crystal, yellow opal, silver, pearls, plus it's made by an actual wedding tiara designer.

Howeverrrrr I'm looking at the guy's website now and you can order a custom tiara for a mere $1500...

Looks like all he did was modify an existing tiara design of his anyway:

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:24 pm
ViRGE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 am $2000?! Holy fuck! :shock:

Crystal, yellow opal, silver, pearls, plus it's made by an actual wedding tiara designer.

Howeverrrrr I'm looking at the guy's website now and you can order a custom tiara for a mere $1500...

https://i.imgur.com/jOboyMP.png
Ahh, so some effort has been put in, then. I wasn't expecting even silver (which is currently $23/oz). It's still nowhere worth $2000, but it's not a $20 trinket, either. So yay for P-Bandai for not being completely greedy? :lol:
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:48 pm
Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:24 pm

https://i.imgur.com/jOboyMP.png
Ahh, so some effort has been put in, then. I wasn't expecting even silver (which is currently $23/oz). It's still nowhere worth $2000, but it's not a $20 trinket, either. So yay for P-Bandai for not being completely greedy? :lol:
I mean the designer is massively inflating prices as well, it'll be plated silver, not solid, crystal is basically worthless, pearls can be grown synthetically, etc. Material cost is mayyyyybe $2-300, labor shouldn't be more than $500, and this is me overestimating generously.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Off topic, but something I just noticed (not sure if someone else brought this up before) is that the opening has been foreshadowing the team "power-up" (when they get the phantom mecha limbs) since the beginning.

https://imgur.com/a/d6Gy6Sy

Now I'm wondering if it was planned to be a power-up from the start, or if it was an aesthetic choice turned into one.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Zerato wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:28 pm Off topic, but something I just noticed (not sure if someone else brought this up before) is that the opening has been foreshadowing the team "power-up" (when they get the phantom mecha limbs) since the beginning.

https://imgur.com/a/d6Gy6Sy

Now I'm wondering if it was planned to be a power-up from the start, or if it was an aesthetic choice turned into one.
Oh absolutely planned, they may not have the plot hammered out ahead of time, but all the toys and power-ups are at least a year in advance. It takes time to design and produce all this stuff. They're probably already working on the next Sentai after Boomboomger
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:42 pm Oh absolutely planned, they may not have the plot hammered out ahead of time, but all the toys and power-ups are at least a year in advance. It takes time to design and produce all this stuff. They're probably already working on the next Sentai after Boomboomger
I know things are generally planned out well in advance, it's just a bit disappointing to think that they planned for the team power-up to be a CGI clusterfuck.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Zerato wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:35 am
Lunagel wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:42 pm Oh absolutely planned, they may not have the plot hammered out ahead of time, but all the toys and power-ups are at least a year in advance. It takes time to design and produce all this stuff. They're probably already working on the next Sentai after Boomboomger
I know things are generally planned out well in advance, it's just a bit disappointing to think that they planned for the team power-up to be a CGI clusterfuck.
Could be worse, could be an AI clusterfuck

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”