My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's average rating: 4.43 (7 votes)

Hey Priest Mutsugi is here! If you watched Bio Planet WoO, she's played by that same actress. I had such a crush on her

How nice of them to beat up that guy in the one spot the ground wasn't wet lol

I'm sure Cousin It here is turning someone's crank

The new base is in...s ome trendy building? Nice shelves at least

Obi is Ghost in case you didn't know...

Hey it's the gate image from the beginning. It's a pretty rad design

Steel sure has a "swallowed the bitter pill" face

Of course we're always one step away from night, this is a Garo show

Souma's costume is so fancy compared to everyone else's

Props to the lighting/cinemotgraphy guy on this series. The night shots look really good

Not loving how all the pre-Horror humans look like they're juggalos

At least sourpuss has some moves

Man, another cool Horror design. The acting is a little stiff at times, but the quality is pretty high on most other things

Damn, they've got Koyori on evacuation duty again...

Man, Souma really is the true main character isn't he?

Ryuuga big manning Souma lol

Edit: So here's how the captioning is and isn't useful. I took a look at the captions ( https://pastebin.com/03RjhXyQ )

and made one change. I originally had Eye Forest (eye, sekigan 隻眼), but my instinct initially was to write Petrified Forest. But petrified would be kaseki or something similar. Seeing it as Stone Forest in the captions makes me think the kanji must be 石岩 rock+boulder. Which isn't a word, but you get the idea

But yeah, look at our subtitles and look at the captions and you can tell the difference in something machine translated
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Hagane 02 released

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:52 pm Obi is Ghost in case you didn't know...
*crosses fingers and hopes he gets his face eaten*

The official subs have now changed Inga to "Grudge". Which, uhh, is still not quite right, though it's better than "karma". I dislike the change on principle because it makes things much harder to understand if you just go around switching proper noun translations willy-nilly.

I was surprised to see that particular location used in the fight scene. It pops up at least once a year for Sentai or Rider (last instance was in Geats) but this is the first I've seen it in Garo.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Captions!

Post by takenoko »

00:01:29,060 --> 00:01:31,040 That's a natural thing to do as a makai order.

"I am only doing as a protector ought." It's interesting because they turned mamorishimono protector/guardian and changed it to Makai Order

00:07:39,200 --> 00:07:45,300 Ancient people feared the scent that leaked from the Gate of Destruction, calling it the Parfum of Darkness.

I think Parfum is Perfume in French? Just seemed like an interesting choice

00:11:35,820 --> 00:11:39,260 He was a Makai Knight known as KOUZAN Knight ZANGO.

We went with Ore Knight here. I heard a long o so I wrote Zangou, but I've been wrong about that before. It's interesting because Kouzan has the u in it, so it's not like they're opposed to it

00:19:40,220 --> 00:19:41,570 Why do you know about Flash Sword?

"How do you know the Flash Sword Dance?" What's fun is I grabbed this from the website (episode 3 page) 閃光剣舞. Flash Sword is so close, but Kenbu means Sword Dance. Sorry you left off the last kanji!

00:23:30,040 --> 00:23:32,860 SOUMA has no pride as a HAGANE.

I swear I saw it written as Steel armor earlier. And it's definitely translated as Heir to the Steel armor. So which is it?

Funny phrasing
00:09:00,600 --> 00:09:02,080 Watch your mouth and be SOUMA.
00:14:29,440 --> 00:14:32,420 Unfortunately, there is no food for you.

Annnd the episode title:
00:03:03,810 --> 00:03:09,520 symptoms.

兆(きざし)1. sign; indication; omen; symptom​
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Wherefore art thou, Rian?

Call me basic but she was always nice to look at. And the character had good chemistry with Ryuga.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I enjoyed it. Hagane is keeping up with the “there’s a pompous knight” troupe. I wish Ryuga had decked Souma a good one, but this is 2024 and not 2005. Sigh. There was a hint that he will end up turning bad. Bets on good to bad back to good for Souma?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Wherefore art thou, Rian?

Someone didn't watch the Rian visit bonus clips that we included
Saejima Kouga wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:16 pm I enjoyed it. Hagane is keeping up with the “there’s a pompous knight” troupe. I wish Ryuga had decked Souma a good one, but this is 2024 and not 2005. Sigh. There was a hint that he will end up turning bad. Bets on good to bad back to good for Souma?
I feel like Souma is going to get a proper arc, so he's probably not going to turn traitor. I'm betting that's either going to be Priest Mutsugi or one of the three knights
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'm glad to retract the complaint about being the Golden Knight not having any street credit; looks like it's just a Souma problem.

This seemed like a pretty standard episode up to the end, but what an end. The first episode gave the impression that the show's main dynamic would be the usual Kamen Rider pair of an idealistic main character and a scornful, edgier secondary, but within one episode they upended it by showcasing the secondary's hotheaded naivete usually reserved for the main one. It helps that Ryuuga now has about a decade of experience in contrast. The only question is how they plan to get us to root for Souma--if he isn't likeable nor approachable, and lacks the raw competence most secondaries use to compensate for their personalities, the only thing he has going for him is his tragic-underdog story. He does seem ripe for an arc, though, and feels somewhat three-dimensional already, which is impressive for one episode and 15 seconds' worth of screen time. Granted, the conversation about his father was a bit too much telling rather than showing, but the rest of his character building has been more organic so far.

YT subtitle notes: I think these are slightly better than the first episode's, but I'm still getting flashbacks to the Jisariz subtitles from last year. Again, I'm glad to see smaller tokusatsu projects move toward overseas accessibility, but I hope they see it as a first step and will be willing to double down and go for more proper translations in the future.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Dengar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:41 am Wherefore art thou, Rian?

Call me basic but she was always nice to look at. And the character had good chemistry with Ryuga.
I like Rian too... At this point we can only hope for a cameo
Final Vent!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Koyori, I owe you an apology. It turns out your mentor is ticking all the boxes of my "ally who will invevitably betray the heroes" checklist. The story of Souma's dad disappearing smells very fishy, what with him wanting to be proactive in sealing away the Gate of Darkness before it could pose a problem and Priest (checks wiki) Mutsugi leaving his undertrained son to guard such an important district. I see it's a different actress wearing the red wig, but I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being an alter ego or Horror-esque transformation for Mutsugi.

I get the feeling Ryuuga is going to be acting as a mentor to Souma. That could be a fun dynamic. (And make him a little less whiny.)
takenoko wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:52 pm Obi is Ghost in case you didn't know...
I did not! I've tried to block nearly everything related to that show from my memory. It would be a waste of space.

And I recognized the spot where the battle took place too, thanks to how often Rider (and Sentai) used to film there. I can't remember the last time they used it. I wondered if filming there might have been prohibited.

Solid episode and fun Horror design. No clue what it was supposed to be, but it looked cool.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

PHurricane wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:24 pm
And I recognized the spot where the battle took place too, thanks to how often Rider (and Sentai) used to film there. I can't remember the last time they used it. I wondered if filming there might have been prohibited.
Nope! It's the Tsukuba Center Plaza and it was most recently used in Geats. I'm very font of this location, I used to live in the area lol

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fEFNiEyAAVdWwSsJ7
If you're interested in taking a quick look around
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>and Priest (checks wiki) Mutsugi leaving his undertrained son to guard such an important district.

Her name is written in katakana, but I see a popular kanji combination for Mutsugi is six trees

>I get the feeling Ryuuga is going to be acting as a mentor to Souma. That could be a fun dynamic. (And make him a little less whiny.)

Yeah, it'll be something new for him

>Solid episode and fun Horror design. No clue what it was supposed to be, but it looked cool.

It's a Lou Carcolh, a snail-like serpent/dragon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Carcolh

There's some cool details that aren't obvious when seeing the suit in action:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2einjKKU-6/?img_index=5
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:40 pm Someone didn't watch the Rian visit bonus clips that we included
Tbh I tend to just watch the episode so I didn't know about that, sry.

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”