My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 19 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.11 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Love these dumb nuts for trying to hold their clandestine meeting right before the dinner rush. Also, when have we ever seen this restaurant that busy? lol

Ooh, What's your FIRE by RIDER CHIPS

Why's only one sister in uniform? Is it because her belly is exposed?

Another multi headed monster. This guy really has a theme

Nice to get some reuse out of the oden set from DonBrothers

lol, the brainwashed people are just walking into a wall. Minato is bad at controlling NPCs

LOL what was with that shot of Rinne? That had like 5 cuts? Is this really the best way of dropping this truth bomb on Rinne

Wait, is this monster's ability to turn things to gold? Or is it something about Atropos that her arm turned to gold?

Weird, I'm not sure if I would have expected them t o use shot blocking in a toku show. But when Rinne and Atropos are talking, they switch back and forth to show the distance between the two characters, even though they should be in the same shot having the discussion

Good fight and introduction of Majerd

So official site lists it as Majade
https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/gotchard/rid ... stand.html
Pixiv theorizes it's a mix of Magenta and Wizard
Me? I think it's a combination of Majesty and Card. Or maybe the latter one is Wizard since that's the bad guy in the movie. Call it what you want, but clicking through the component descriptions on the Asahi website, I don't see any mention of jade in the names or the theming. While I think Majesty is a good adjective for unicorns and this is a card themed show

Oh, and was it me, or was this episode funnier than usual? Renge calling Sabi Saba lol
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Gotchard 19 thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:08 pm Another multi headed monster. This guy really has a theme
tbf, it's probably more to do with this week's Malgam's chemy and last week's being a pair, so they'd likely share some design elements.
lol, the brainwashed people are just walking into a wall. Minato is bad at controlling NPCs
given he's a bad guy now, I'm surprised he had the restraint not to threaten to make them climb over the railing and jump or something.
LOL what was with that shot of Rinne? That had like 5 cuts? Is this really the best way of dropping this truth bomb on Rinne
they've been doing a lot of weird shots with Rinne this episode. like, back at the start when they were having their meeting at the diner? despite all 4 kids being together, they kept cutting from shots of everyone else to shots of just Rinne, or at least mostly Rinne. were there scheduling issues and she's never actually in the room with everyone at the same time?
Wait, is this monster's ability to turn things to gold? Or is it something about Atropos that her arm turned to gold?
I think that was more because it broke the pan flute, which seemed to be made of gold, given Geryon likes his gold things, given the Rubik's Cube.
Weird, I'm not sure if I would have expected them t o use shot blocking in a toku show. But when Rinne and Atropos are talking, they switch back and forth to show the distance between the two characters, even though they should be in the same shot having the discussion
again, just weird shots for Rinne all episode.

Me? I think it's a combination of Majesty and Card. Or maybe the latter one is Wizard since that's the bad guy in the movie. Call it what you want, but clicking through the component descriptions on the Asahi website, I don't see any mention of jade in the names or the theming. While I think Majesty is a good adjective for unicorns and this is a card themed show
I think it's supposed to be jade because her chest armor looks like a gemstone, kinda, but until we see more from her, like if she gets alternate forms, hard to say. now that we HAVE another matched pair of Fantastic/Cosmic chemys, given the Moon and Cerberus ones are a pair, we might get to see her use them in the future?
Oh, and was it me, or was this episode funnier than usual?
it DID have a bit more comedy going for it. like Houtarou's food creation having meat, so the Malgam zeroed in on it.... then hated it. and Rinne's just nodding along behind a distressed Houtarou.

also of note, when Klotho comes in with the three chemy cards, I was initially confused by her having chemys from the Job and Insect categories, given those categories have been around from the start (like, their cards were both in the Phase:01 set of irl cards that came out when the show started), so presumably the main characters should've had them by now, but then I realized it's because they both pair with Ancient category chemys according to their irl cards, and the only one of those we have in-show so far is X-Rex, so something to look forward to in the future, I guess.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

they've been doing a lot of weird shots with Rinne this episode. like, back at the start when they were having their meeting at the diner? despite all 4 kids being together, they kept cutting from shots of everyone else to shots of just Rinne, or at least mostly Rinne. were there scheduling issues and she's never actually in the room with everyone at the same time?

I don't think so, since she's clearly there with the other actors. I'm guessing it's intentional, since she is the protagonist of this episode. It's her big television debut

>I think that was more because it broke the pan flute, which seemed to be made of gold, given Geryon likes his gold things, given the Rubik's Cube.

Geryon, secretly King Midas. And alchemists love gold. Calling that twist now

>I think it's supposed to be jade because her chest armor looks like a gemstone, kinda, but until we see more

orange jade?

>also of note, when Klotho comes in with the three chemy cards, I was initially confused by her having chemys from the Job and Insect categories, given those categories have been around from the start

Oh, speaking of which, I revamped the card page... oh, someone changed it too. So yeah, you can see which ones are missing now. It's got the card image, so spoilers I guess?
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category: ... hard_Cards
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

I believe Atropos will redeem herself and be adopted by Fuuga, Rinne would be a great older sister,
It's cool to see Rinne as the secondary Rider.
I hope she'll get to see her father.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:41 pm Oh, speaking of which, I revamped the card page... oh, someone changed it too. So yeah, you can see which ones are missing now. It's got the card image, so spoilers I guess?
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category: ... hard_Cards
are the cards with blanks over their images meant to represent chemy that the good guys don't have yet?

if so, bare minimum it's missing The Sun, since we know Rinne's had that for a few weeks, having used it for an attack back in December the episode immediately after the movie, even before properly transforming in the show, and Yoacerberus now that we've caught it this episode.

besides that, we can also fill in
not REALLY a spoiler, since this screenshot shows we've seen them in-show, but they were obtained in the movie, so still kind of a spoiler
the other level 10s and Utsubocchama, since we saw them here in Houtarou's collection when he was gushing over all the Chemys he's currently got back in episode 16Image
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So that's Atropos turning good over the next few months then, presumably. I'd have her down as a new Rider if not for her being played by a 9-year-old, although Sentai's had kid Rangers before.

I know people are saying Majade is the secondary, but I still can't help but shake this feeling that as soon as Valvarad debuts he's gonna take Rinne's spotlight. I'll believe it when they start giving Majade the power-ups and solo V-cinemas that the secondary Riders usually get.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman, Zyuranger onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers

Currently watching: Chojin Sentai Jetman
Androzani84
Number 6
Number 6
Quote: I fear that someday people will cite quotes I never said - Albert Einstein

Post by Androzani84 »

To add to the “who has what card” discussion, I’ll point out that the official site has a list of who has what card that updates every week. Currently, it’s…

Houtaro: Hopper1, Steamliner, Skebows, Apparebushido, Kamantis, Odorippa, Antrooper, WrestlerG, Pikahotaru, Smapho, Spicle, Ganvhale, Mechanikani, Goldash, Hawkstar, Raidenji, Junglejan, Venomdake, Gorillasensei, Mitemirror, Stagvine, Busasorri, Greatonbo, Bountybunny, Panpakaparka, Tsupparihebi, Televi, Catchula, Happyclover, Bambamboo, Utsubocchama, Buglesia, Jyamatonoorochi, Neminemoon, UFO-X, X-Rex, X-Wizard, Beetlx, Exceedfighter, Lixion, Xfortress, Xeggdrasil.

Rinne: Unicon, Thesun, Pilets, Deepmariner, Burningnero, Yamibat, Renkingrobo, Yoacerebeus.

Spanner:

Renge and Sabimaru: Dokkirimajin, Energyl, Dasukemaru, Gengenchoucho, Bulletbaang, Hiikescue, Bakuonzemi, Doctorkozo, Flayrose.

Atropos, Lachesis, Clotho and Minato: Repli-Steamliner, Repli-Pikahotaru, Repli-Bulletbaang, Repli-Odorippa, Repli-Skebows, Repli-Apparebushido, Repli-WrestlerG, Repli-Venomdake, Repli-Gorillasensei, Repli-Gekiocopter, Repli-Flayrose, Repli-Greatonbo, Repli-Kamantis, Repli-Catchula, Repli-Antrooper, Madwheel, Gutshovel, Gekiocopter.
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:08 pm < Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.11 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Love these dumb nuts for trying to hold their clandestine meeting right before the dinner rush. Also, when have we ever seen this restaurant that busy? lol

Ooh, What's your FIRE by RIDER CHIPS

Why's only one sister in uniform? Is it because her belly is exposed?

Oh, and was it me, or was this episode funnier than usual? Renge calling Sabi Saba lol
You're calling it Majirudo in Japanese according to Google Translate.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The humor in this episode worked for me, I think it mixed well with the more serious stuff. I liked them trying to discuss world-ending incidents while dealing with restaurant rush hours, Saba and Renge summoning the Chemys dramatically only to cool the Igniter manually, and the most hilarious of all, even the Malgam refused to eat Houtarou's "food" and Rinna agreeing in the background.

Mom nonchalantly allowing a resistance group to run in her dinning area. I'd disappointed if she didn't whip out an alchemist ring at some point.

Do the other 3 not have a home and lived at the Academy? It looks like they're living at the dinning area now.

Minato's smile at the end confirmed that he was not fully on the dark side. He's proud that Rinne chose her own path.

I like Majade's fighting style. Her hard slamming the Malgam on the ground is brutal. One more Rider to go, looks like we'll be getting into that next week.

The Igniter overheating is such a plot device that it will happen randomly only when the plot requires.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

TokuGeek1999 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:03 am You're calling it Majirudo in Japanese according to Google Translate.
Did you just pull out a "Google Translate" against someone who's literally a Japanese translator?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–ドンブラザース
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I have been surprised by just how much this series has been using Atropos. Besides the acting limits of a 9 year old, kids aren't known for having flexible working hours. I really expected she'd be a side-show to the other two sisters - the one who hangs back and gives orders. Though with her getting so much screen time, it also means we don't get quite as much Klotho and Lakhesis as I'd care for.

Meanwhile, Minato has been one of the better face-heel-turn characters we've seen in quite some time. I have no doubt he'll be back to the side of good one way or another further down the road. But for right now he's being subtly evil and menacing without being over the top, and I'm enjoying it. Normally these kind of characters are a) brainwashed, and b) completely over the top in order to telegraph their brainwashing. So having a character where it's not immediately obvious whether they're evil, pretending to be evil, or some mix in between, is a nice change of pace.

Finally, I'm not terribly impressed with Majade's suit. It's not bad in any way, but there's just something oddly generic about it? Too much white and orange, perhaps? Geats just pulled off white really well, but this suit lacks that same distinctiveness. Also, I wish they'd get a better ring to go with the suit; it looks to be a literal grey plastic toy. For the prop that Rinne's actress wears, you can even see the open segment of the band on the back side, which is how toy rings flex to fit multiple finger sizes. At the very least, they should have made a sized ring for Rinne's actress (the suit doesn't seem to use an actual banded ring, presumably for safety reasons).
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:08 pm Why's only one sister in uniform? Is it because her belly is exposed?
I'm pretty sure it's because of the wall-throw stunt that follows shortly thereafter. As I'm assuming they're not throwing the actual actress into a wall, the extra clothing makes it easier to hide the stuntie. Though there's no getting around the fact that the resulting wardrobe inconsistency stands out.
That's better than going the other way and ending up with one-eyed monsters. :shock:
Now I'm embarrassed. Somehow, I didn't pick up on that.
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:41 pm
Oh, and was it me, or was this episode funnier than usual?
it DID have a bit more comedy going for it. like Houtarou's food creation having meat, so the Malgam zeroed in on it.... then hated it. and Rinne's just nodding along behind a distressed Houtarou.
If anything, Ichinose's squeaky yelling almost blew that joke. But having Rinne nodding in the background was an epic save.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:41 pm Geryon, secretly King Midas. And alchemists love gold. Calling that twist now
Well shoot. That is incredibly obvious in hindsight. Which means you're probably right.

Thanks for spoiling the show, jerk! :P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I have been surprised by just how much this series has been using Atropos. Besides the acting limits of a 9 year old, kids aren't known for having flexible working hours. I really expected she'd be a side-show to the other two sisters - the one who hangs back and gives orders. Though with her getting so much screen time, it also means we don't get quite as much Klotho and Lakhesis as I'd care for.

Isn't Atropos the leader or at least the most talkative one from the myths? Maybe that's why

>But for right now he's being subtly evil and menacing without being over the top, and I'm enjoying it. Normally these kind of characters are a) brainwashed, and b) completely over the top in order to telegraph their brainwashing. So having a character where it's not immediately obvious whether they're evil, pretending to be evil, or some mix in between, is a nice change of pace.

That's funny, because I think it's pretty obvious that he's just doing a bad job pretending that he's evil. But we'll see!

>Too much white and orange, perhaps?

Maybe. I don't see why it's orange when the gems could be green like most jades
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:08 pm Why's only one sister in uniform? Is it because her belly is exposed?
I'm pretty sure it's because of the wall-throw stunt that follows shortly thereafter.

Oh smart
Now I'm embarrassed. Somehow, I didn't pick up on that.

It just stands out to me, since it's obviously a set just on the Toei lot. Who would come to this stand to eat?
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:41 pm Geryon, secretly King Midas. And alchemists love gold. Calling that twist now
Well shoot. That is incredibly obvious in hindsight. Which means you're probably right. Thanks for spoiling the show, jerk! :P

Maybe he's just goldfinger! He just loves gold
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This is the most Sailor Moon like of all the episodes so far. I guess they are going for Sailor Mercury with Rinne, the honor student who has a secret snarky side. That would make Minato Endymion, a hero brainwashed to do bad but somehow is ineffective at doing bad most of the time, walks away from confrontations and uses the excuse that it is all part of his plan.

Rinne's actress seems to have good timing with the comedy stuff but is still a little stiff at the being a hero stuff.

Professor Kyouka is still acting a lot like Professor Washuu from the Tenchi series, someone who values knowledge over morality and is so self absorbed that she doesn't notice people walking away from her.

So, are they going to turn Atropos into a hero or are the Hades Sisters going to go the way of the Witches 5 in Sailor Moon S?

At least they talked about making Kajiki an alchemist this episode. That idea has been kicking around for a long time. He deserves a break, he even did drag for the show!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:24 am Maybe. I don't see why it's orange when the gems could be green like most jades
in this instance, I'm assuming it's because her default form is made using Unicon and TheSun, so you get the pure white of a unicorn (and probably a little bit of it is because of the light from the sun washing everything out and blinding you so all you see is white?) and then the orange comes from the fires of the sun itself (plus I saw someone point out that when we get a better look at Majade's chest armor, beneath the large orange gem segment is what looks like a design of the solar system, which fits with both the literal sun being part of that form and also her use of the Cosmic category as a whole).

if I had to guess, gemstones with colors based on the cosmic side of her power set will be a theme for her forms, since it's otherwise a bit harder to meaningfully distinguish between them as an armor element.

like, Gotchard's forms are made of things different enough you can tell elements from chemy in the same category apart between forms. Steamliner, Skebows, GutsShovel, and GoldDash are all Vehicle chemys that were used in forms of his that got made into actual physical suits for an actor to wear, but you're not going to have an issue telling which one was used in his forms. Same with AppareBushido, WrestlerG, and DokkiriMajin all being Job chemys used for suits for example. meanwhile, with Majade, sure you'll be able to tell is she's using a form that has Unicon or Yoacerberus design elements easy enough, but if we assume at least a good chunk of her Cosmic powers are either the different planets or generic space elements that are super similar, that's not so easily distinguishable. like if she gets one based on stars, those are just the same thing as the sun but further away. if she gets planets, aside from an obvious one like "Saturn gets rings" they're all functionally just different sizes of "big, uninhabitable orb millions of miles away" so your only methods of telling them apart are different associated colors and then whatever kind of power, elemental or otherwise, they give her, which will probably be more handled by the vfx crew to make it easier to move and fight in the suit.

so, assuming we even get alternate costumes for her besides some sort of final form power up later on using either her categories' level 10s or some kind of powered up versions of her base chemys, don't be surprised if sometime in the next couple episodes we see her transform into a suit with a dog head for the helmet, two more dog heads somewhere on her body (shoulders or hands are safe bets), and a bunch of yellow, or other "moon appropriate" color, gemstone bits.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hmm, are we thinking she'll get different forms? I can't really see her or Valvarad having many sub forms

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”