My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's average rating: 4.5 (4 votes)

Souma's a real bad seed lol

What is this, Garo camping?

There's no way that evil statue is not going to play a part in this

Okay, did the makai knights not pay their rent this month? Why are they always outside?

Weird camera work panning back and forth between Koyori and Souma

Priests doing important priest work, like making friendship bracelets

I see Souma has a sword. I can't tell if it's his sword or not though. Wait, that move does involve darkness, I wasn't wrong. Kind of feel like with the themes of this show that's something that should have been said aloud sooner?

Oh no, ghost dad. Wait, how do you push a ghost dad?

Mutsugi sure is hiding a lot of stuff that she should be talking about with her knights. Souma's got real problems! Was not expecting Ryuuga to defend him though. I like this genuine and sweet Ryuuga more than the weird smirky guy we had at the beginning of this series. I'm still mad about how tone death that was

By the way, this guy is Agito. These teased him last week on Instagram

Are we liking this street that represents the whole city? It does seem to have a lively night life. Nice job, extras! I also like the props for the priest's room. Gotta love shelves full of books.

Oh weird. From the preview, I totally thought it was Souma who told Ryuuga to take his blade and find an answer in battle. I guess I wasn't expecting the harsh tone to be coming from Ryuuga

Also, it's double funny for Agito to be telling people money is everything, since in real life he's become a super religious dude. Like I think he wants to be Souichi in real life. Oh, that was fast. I guess the standards for becoming a Horror really have dropped. I didn't think his turn would be just people doing... business things...? Maybe the writer hates call centers

Oh they're all horrors

Wait, that's it? I like this series, but man these last two felt like padding. If it were me, I'd cut down these two episodes and have all the Souma conflict in one episode, then have this call center conflict be its own episode instead of splitting it off

Edit: I've been thinking, Souma's actor is pretty good at doing the bitter Souma face. But given how he behaves, maybe this role should have been played by a teenager. Like someone still young enough to still be wanting a dad in his life. I think that'd sell the character more to me
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Captions

Post by takenoko »

https://pastebin.com/YKLifYXx

00:00:35,710 --> 00:00:40,030 No matter what the circumstances, you are not allowed to point your knife at your friends.

Yes, those Makai knives the knights always carry around

00:02:22,310 --> 00:02:24,000 I'm about to cry from the onion juice.

Stop drinking it then!

00:09:12,340 --> 00:09:15,220 KOYORI loves you.
00:09:15,980 --> 00:09:18,670 That's true?

I clearly misinterpted this scene!

00:12:48,830 --> 00:12:54,990 SENKOKEMMU is a technique that turns the darkness captured into the sword into light and releases it.

Senkou kenbu (閃光剣舞) But you've been translating it as flash sword up till now!

00:23:30,440 --> 00:23:32,260 This city needs a SOUMA.

A Souma?!

Have to admit that the captions did help with the telemarketing scene
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: Garo Hagane 04 released

Post by Yaiba »

I see Souma has a sword. I can't tell if it's his sword or not though. Wait, that move does involve darkness, I wasn't wrong. Kind of feel like with the themes of this show that's something that should have been said aloud sooner?

Oh no, ghost dad. Wait, how do you push a ghost dad?
This happened in the past. It's the reason why dad was bandaging a wounded hand in the flashback last week.

Stop giving Ron death flags. He's giving off a lot of red-shirts vibes already. He's content and a nice guy, I hope he got to live till the end.

The ED is shorter and doesn't have screenshots taken from the episodes. I guess we're moving on to the stock TV-size theme now?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Kills me how the official subs keep having the call center Agito saying please when he's yelling his head off. I know I keep bitching about this but I really really hate machine translation as a substitute for a human.

Bit of a dull episode, kinda odd that they're cooking outside when we clearly see Mutsugi and Ryuuga inside. Are they camping? Is this happy fun Makai sing-along?

The last part with all the Horrors was pretty cool though, looking forward to seeing what happens with that next week.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

>Bit of a dull episode, kinda odd that they're cooking outside when we clearly see Mutsugi and Ryuuga inside. Are they camping? Is this happy fun Makai sing-along?

Yeah, it was like they could only film in the building set a day before getting evicted. I guess it's still better than the weird throne room, made of just curtains on a wall, that would have been where the Makai Priest talked to the knight in previous seasons

>The last part with all the Horrors was pretty cool though, looking forward to seeing what happens with that next week.

Pyramidhead Agito had a couple of the better scenes for me this time. I wasn't expecting him to just turn around and already be horrified. Which sort of makes me confused by the phone call later, since that would have been where I thought the original infection came from. As silly as she is, give me my sexy cousin It temptress as a throughline

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C24LsRgy ... _copy_link
Oh, and ifyou want to see the Japanese subs of that scene. Thanks, would have been nice earlier this week!
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Man, I wish I had Kashu's horror energy at work.
Figuring out how my brother can run Cyberpunk 2077 2.1 on his computer on a shoestring budget is a nightmare.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

A single episode without any armor is a choice, but two in a row is a bold one. (Or, alternatively, they really want to conserve their budget.) This feels like everything the last episode had and more: much like the last one, it allows us to spend some time with the characters' day to day lives, but we learn meaningful and critical things about the characters' pasts, presents, and where they may go from there. We spend still more time with Ron and Obi (despite association with his previous role, Obi feels like one of the most well-defined characters here) and learn more about Ron than just his sternness or raw competence. Souma does the first mature thing he's done all series, and we learned more about him than just his missing father--if he spends much of his training time with a move that involves absorbing darkness, no wonder he's such a loose cannon. As a plus, that part of the flashback felt genuinely creepier than the J-horror or slasher-influenced Horror introductions we'd started out with.
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:56 amWas not expecting Ryuuga to defend him though. I like this genuine and sweet Ryuuga more than the weird smirky guy we had at the beginning of this series. I'm still mad about how tone death that was
Same here; I mostly remember Ryuuga as a lovable brick in his previous series (although I've heard that was a rebrand itself from a hotheaded guy in YwTM, so maybe he's never been consistent), so this feels like a more natural evolution for his character.

EDIT (discusses the show’s length, but nothing actually spoilery):
Spoiler
The site’s “episodes” page indicates this’ll be a shorter one than usual, which somewhat recontextualizes these two effects/location-light episodes. Maybe there is a limited budget after all?
Last edited by Mxylv on Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

The last part of the show gave me flashbacks to the "Disharmony" episode of Angel which featured a Vampire MLM.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:56 am

Wait, that's it? I like this series, but man these last two felt like padding. If it were me, I'd cut down these two episodes and have all the Souma conflict in one episode, then have this call center conflict be its own episode instead of splitting it off

Edit: I've been thinking, Souma's actor is pretty good at doing the bitter Souma face. But given how he behaves, maybe this role should have been played by a teenager. Like someone still young enough to still be wanting a dad in his life. I think that'd sell the character more to me
This was exactly my opinion. Garo shows are usually 13 ep and they wasted 2 episodes for nothing. The show feels way too much like a side story and not enought like it is Ryuuga's third series. They could have made this using only the Steel Knight but I guess that people may not watch it?....

Anyway... I gave this a 4 because I like the costumes and the music.

I think that this show doesn't have the cast to be better than Garo VERSUS but they still have 10 more episodes. We will see.
Final Vent!

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”