My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 05 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's average rating: 4.6 (5 votes)

I guess not everyone cared about money

Oh, are we finally going to see the three muskateers in battle? Just took 5 episodes

I know that makai knights aren't big on the rescuing people thing, but Ryuuga standing guard just so Souma can join them seems like a bad plan

Koyori's costume is an amaing contrast to everyone else's. This is a real zombie movie

lol, Ghost and Koyori failed their stealth check

I know I complimented Koyori for her melee prowess in ep 1, but does she not know any spells at all?

Is anyone else weirded out by all the signs being in English?

Igusu, Ron, what are you guys doing back on the bottom floor?

Nice tracking shot with the hallway. It's kind of gamelke to get the side view

Now you're thinking with portals

Oh their eye colors are different

What is this... ringing sound?

Why is he wet sounding? No Horror form for this boss? That's slightly disappointing, especially since we haven't had one since ep 2

Overall fine, but with this episode being primarily action, I wish they'd cut the fat and had the last three episodes be two instead. Not a bad episode, but the most damnable thing about it, is that there's not that much to get excited for either. We did get to see the trio transform and do a combined attack, but that's about it
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

YouTube captions

Post by takenoko »

https://pastebin.com/BDAha1XR

00:00:04,470 --> 00:00:08,160 You guys make a call!

You's guys

00:02:03,840 --> 00:02:07,680 We have no choice but to simultaneously exterminate the HORROR and explore the gate.

Yes, play with the gate

00:02:13,310 --> 00:02:20,070 Please make it a priority to not let even a single HORROR out of this premises.

Premises, what a big word for an AI!

00:06:43,520 --> 00:06:44,990 Please calm down.
00:06:46,370 --> 00:06:47,780 Please calm down.

lol, what? How do people watch this and not laugh at this. Not the humor, but the dumbness of the translation

00:07:10,560 --> 00:07:13,570 Please never leave us.

oh random victim, it's you, me, and Koyori as a throuple

00:11:36,130 --> 00:11:40,200 Once you do that, your previous blunders will be nullified.

blunders? nullified?!

00:15:45,120 --> 00:15:47,400 Don't pretend you're the only one cool.

lol. The only cool

00:19:48,670 --> 00:19:53,020 RYUGA, Gate is that phone.

00:23:36,160 --> 00:23:40,110 How long do you plan on playing the role of a tragic heroine?

Oh, that's actually pretty close to what I had

00:21:48,580 --> 00:21:53,870 The night of dawn, which occurs once every three years, is the first step to pave the way.
00:21:53,870 --> 00:21:57,030 I'm going to SEKIGAN forest.

19:38/21:53 隻眼の森 / 朱月の夜 / 常闇の石. it's official https://garo-project.jp/garo_hagane/episodes/

those bastards, the captions were wrong.
Stone/Seigan Forest -> Eye Forest
Night of the Dawn -> Night of the Scarlet Moon
at least the stone of everlasting darkness is right
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Garo Hagane 05 released

Post by Saejima Kouga »

This episode brought to you by: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Agito looked like a vampire from Buffy, and his minions exploded in the sunlight.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

So, pretty much the opposite of the last episode in every way. There's a load of action and fight choreography, but very little in the way of character development, exposition, or story beats, outside Souma's willingness to join and Ryuuga's phone call as book-ends. I'm not sure if it was due to the YT subtitles or myself that I initially thought the "gate" Zaruba mentioned referred to the Gate of Destruction, indicating it'd been sealed inside a workplace telephone and that Ryuuga ended the apparent main arc less than halfway through the season. That would have been an interesting direction to go in, albeit rather confusing.

It's ironic that the last two episodes felt like filler to several viewers while that's how I felt about this one. I doubt I'd be up for a whole entry without armor or Horror fights, but this mostly felt like a showcase of what the party can do when they aren't fighting amongst themselves. It was nice to see Souma when he's chosen to worry about Horrors rather than the angst of the previous episodes; I couldn't figure out what his personality was this episode, but as long as the lowered anger doesn't leave a blank void, I should be happy. Also interesting was one of Koyomi's friendship bracelets from Mutsugi disappearing. Does this imply she's using Mutsugi's power? Do they allow her to go beyond her normal abilities' limits? Curious if that's going anywhere.

Incidentally, in lieu of any 99.9 second rule, is there any reason the Hagane avoided armoring up until the last moment? The out-of-continuity answer is probably that the power difference would be boring to watch, but the horde of Horrors were already mostly one-hit shots.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Horror gates were a thing with the original series. Horrors enter the human world through them, and makai knights are supposed to find and destroy them. I appreciated this, as there’s a lot of Ougon Kishi lore that seems forgotten about in later seasons and movies.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> I'm not sure if it was due to the YT subtitles or myself that I initially thought the "gate" Zaruba mentioned referred to the Gate of Destruction

I'm not sure why you'd waste your time with the YouTube subtitles, since they're pretty terrible

>t's ironic that the last two episodes felt like filler to several viewers while that's how I felt about this one

I don't think filler is the right word for it, maybe just the pacing isn't right? You want to balance the character story with the action, and it's definitely off these three episodes. They're pretty important to establishing some character traits and backstory stuff, but we are also watching a tokusatsu

>Also interesting was one of Koyomi's friendship bracelets from Mutsugi disappearing. Does this imply she's using Mutsugi's power? Do they allow her to go beyond her normal abilities' limits? Curious if that's going anywhere.

Oh yeah, I noticed that but didn't reallyhave a chance to process it. You're probably right though. The relationship they're setting up between Mutsugi and Koyori is off feeling. Like in these shows, no one ever goes "If the bad Horrors are too much, you come running back"

>Incidentally, in lieu of any 99.9 second rule, is there any reason the Hagane avoided armoring up until the last moment? The out-of-continuity answer is probably that the power difference would be boring to watch, but the horde of Horrors were already mostly one-hit shots.

I think it's the budget sadly. THere's only one suit actor in the Steel suit (And probably not many spare suits), so he probably has to do all those scenes himself
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm kinda getting a mother/daughter vibe from Mutsugi and Koyori, which would be terrific for a future tragic reveal.

I rather like these action episodes, they're always a visual treat and some of the shots were quite fun this time.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:48 pm
Why is he wet sounding? No Horror form for this boss? That's slightly disappointing, especially since we haven't had one since ep 2
Exactly! It's sad but it is confirmed that this is a low budget project and so far it looks like the budget is even less than the budget that they had for JINGA. 5 episodes in and this so far is really meh. I expected too much because it was announced as Ryuga's third series.
Final Vent!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Saejima Kouga wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:55 pm This episode brought to you by: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Agito looked like a vampire from Buffy, and his minions exploded in the sunlight.
The three iron guys should have been trading trendy one-liners then. (w)

When Ryuuga enters the call center room we should have had: Ring: Ryuuga, what's wrong? Ryuuga: I hate spam phone calls.

When Souma is challenged to find a plan, he should have said: "Don't worry, we will make sure to make this extra flashy."

I wonder why Koyomi's portals just didn't cause the horrors to wind up on the next to last floor in the elevator shaft with the elevator on the top floor?

I got a little bit of a flashback to the Kamen Rider Amazons episode where the exterminators show up to a building that is totally infested.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Kurow wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:14 pm
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:48 pm Why is he wet sounding? No Horror form for this boss? That's slightly disappointing, especially since we haven't had one since ep 2
Exactly! It's sad but it is confirmed that this is a low budget project and so far it looks like the budget is even less than the budget that they had for JINGA.
That would explain a lot. Granted, the production values and CG look far above the Toei shows’, but the myriad missing cast members, relative lack of standard Horrors, reduced series length and occasional minor goofs make me wonder if they’re just working with whatever they can get.

It was proposed earlier that recent pachinko restrictions were making new entries financially unfeasible; think that’s some of what we’re seeing?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Mxylv wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:28 pm It was proposed earlier that recent pachinko restrictions were making new entries financially unfeasible; think that’s some of what we’re seeing?
Oh, I totally forgot about that post. I mean, it's me, so I was being a bit cheeky. But it might not be entirely unconnected either
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Could the Garo meta-series be accurately described as "Tokusatsu for the Goth crowd"?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

resop2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:31 pm Could the Garo meta-series be accurately described as "Tokusatsu for the Goth crowd"?
It's more horror than goth but sure

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”