King-Ohger 49 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:28 pm

★★★★★
80%
★★★★
7%
★★★
No votes
★★
7%
7%

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 49 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.89 out of 5 (9 votes)

Wasn't this how the last episode started?

I like all the guys standing in a line behind Dagdedo

Oh weird, mysterious space key thing, will I ever know what you were supposed to be?

Oh hey, the girl from... episode 3? I like how we see the girl, despite Himeno having her eyes closed

Ah Rita and Morphonya are great

Bring out all the extras! Oh they even have that weird inventer kid that only turned out to be in 2-3 episodes

Lovingly bestow all the king's things to the rulers. Nothing for you Jeremie

Avengers assemble!

Who are they fighting? Oh it's the Bugnaraku monsters of the week

Thsoe Kuroko with the funny faces are still the best

Oh hey, Davonica, where've you been?

I guess if Dag can just bring people back to life, then it's just as well if the good guys can as well. Who knew the movie would be so pivotal to the plot/

Do I even want to knoww hat woke up Jeremie

Oh hey, female Hachi Ohger suit?

The actual fighting is kind of a mess, and the rulers are a bit sidelined, but for good purpose. It really highlights the wealth of cameos we've had this series

I thought Dagdedo killed Lyniol (sp?)

What do you think Boshimaru said to Duga? Yous ee his lips

Oh hey, another episode where the title is at the end

WHat if they did a clip show for the finale?

Pretty good episode! The rulers are up and interacting with their people, while the people buy time for them to recover. Even great series fumble the ball at the end and don't focus enough on the supporting cast that really make the world feel like a lived-in place. So I'm glad to see that the time is used for that here

Edit: Oh that's interesting. As you guys might know, we've started adding chapters to our vids. This episode is fascinating in that it basically has no commercial breaks interrupting it. We get a prologue for 25 seconds, first cm break, then the rest of the episode, cm break, then previews. That's fairly unprecedented outside maybe a finale

Oh, and just noticed Kofuki joining the Three Wisemen

Don't forget to participate in the whole series discussion thread:
viewtopic.php?t=26519
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: King-Ohger 49 discussion post

Post by Yaiba »

A guests and supporting characters tribute episode. And OMG absolutely everyone was back, from just the episodic characters to the specials characters to movie characters. And every single one got a moment to shine within the 20 minutes timeframe. It's impressive.

It made the place seemed lively and populated by real people, and were not just plot devices who needed to be saved by the heroes once in a while.

They really did a full scale battle in that tiny studio. I'm impressed. Here's some behind the scenes oh how they cobbled the footages together if anyone's interested https://twitter.com/SonyPCL/status/1759019191057932340

Yay, Iroki and Karasu got to transform. Seeing Jeremie fighting beside Deznarok was satisfying. We saw the maid from Ishabaana fought in previous episodes, and she's still going strong here. It seemed Tofu only Kuroda can really fight, but the other kuroko were hilarious.

Racles sure knew how to make arousing speeches, and he looked so happy when fighting beside his (former) aides. The real Boshumaru continued to shine with the very limited screen time he had.

Akka didn't know how to use a computer just like Shiokara? Nkosop's top sure had lots of people who can't use computers.

I'm disappointed that Inada Tetsu didn't pull out a D-Sword Vega equivalent at some point.

Can anyone make out what Boshumaru said to Duga before he faded away?

I'm loving this. The best finales are the ones that manage to involve everyone and not just the main characters.

Of course the key to the missing eternally life core is the people.

Side note, when the suit actors' characters (the Bugnaraku grunts and the kuroko) were standing beside normal actors, its interesting to see the difference in the way of acting. While the actors used more subtle movements, fascial expression and speech tones, the suit actors used more exaggerate movements and move around a lot because they could only act through body language.
Kouryu
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Geats
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman R/B
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kouryu »

Aside from the obvious "Avengers: Endgame" references, which everyone would surely state...

A full-scale war scene like this is still refreshing for a tokusatsu series. Yes, I know it has been done before, but most of them are relegated to movies. And this is the only all-out war scene that I've watched so far where in not all of the character featured are superheroes...
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

This was the most Avengers Assemble moment I've seen in a sentai, and I am all for it.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

First female Black Ranger! Wish this series gave the girls skirts so it made more of a difference. Also wish it had been Morphonia and Hachi Imouto rather than the two people who I barely remember.

That's all I have to say, I'm honestly so done with King-Ohger at this point, I'm just waiting for Boonboomger.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

As the penultimate episode of the series, I was expecting a strong entry. Even then, I have to admit that King-Ohger is still zig-zagging my expectations in some ways. I certainly didn't have "Cameo, The Episode" on my bingo card.

After most everyone got their ass kicked in some fashion last episode, this is more or less a feel-good episode. As everyone else has already noted, it's half Avengers: Endgame and half a whole boatload of cameos and returning one-off characters. It's relatively bombastic pandering, but hey, it's now or never (in more ways than one).

Given that Dagdedo is (apparently) omnipotent and all-powerful, the fact that he would have even the slightest bit of trouble with the regular humans is really stretching things. He should be able to swat down the whole lot of them with little trouble. That said, I appreciate that the writers didn't make this a winning battle; it may be an upbeat episode, but they're all getting their asses kicked yet again. It has to happen this way anyhow to have any reason for the King-Ohgers to have a final fight of their own (otherwise it would be over), but it's good that the writers aren't trying to pass this off as the humans winning due to sheer willpower or the like. At the end of the day it's still a stupid plan that will rely on a whole boatload of miracles.

Meanwhile, the flying castle rocketing off, only to crash back down to the ground is the stuff of literal nightmares. Even though we as the audience already know the humans didn't board it, that's still a heartbreaking scene since the rulers don't know it's empty. Given that it's a feint at this point, I don't really get what the purpose was (it's not like the humans weren't immediately visible in their approaching the battlefield), but it certainly looked awful! Between that and the battlefield, Super Sentai has finally outdone Power Rangers RPM on sheer post-apocalyptic dread - though the later still gets extra credit for doing things with physical sets.

As an aside, if the missing ingredient for Transcendental King-Ohger is eternal life, isn't that just Gira again? He is an immortal, after all. Feed him to the machine; reformed Racles is a better leader anyhow! :lol:

And then there are the cameos. Oh so many cameos. Someone made the point a few weeks back that it was odd that we hadn't had a real tie-in episode for the movie, and I really thought that we were going to see King-Ohger buck tradition and not have such an episode. But here we finally are, at the very last episode where such a thing would work. It's a shame that Rhyniol is just a voice acting stint, rather than the actor showing up in person, but we did get him as Racles' father several episodes back. I'm more surprised to see Devonica, to be honest.

I believe this is also the first (and only) time we've seen the real Boshimaru in the present, since Kamejimu had killed him before the events of the series. Even then, I think this is only the second time in total we've seen the real Boshimaru. If you're going to bring anyone back, it may as well be the recurring actor who got dropped at the half-way point. And he definitely makes the most of his scene with Duga and Racles.

I won't rattle off the rest. But they even got Racles' nerd. I cannot think of a single character of any importance they did not squeeze in here somehow; it really is everyone.

As for the production quality itself, even if I'm being charitable here, it's impossible to hide how janky it is. There's chroma key blending and smearing issues all over the place, compositing errors, and there are multiple occasions where the background doesn't just jitter, but the foreground elements float up and down as the camera was seemingly not held steady. This is probably most evident when the crowd is approaching the rulers at 6:25. But hey, at this point I'm just reiterating things we've already seen for the past 48 episodes, albeit not at this level of jank.

The biggest problem is that the floor is obviously chroma keyed as well. So people are standing flat on a rocky surface of rubble. Doing a proper set for the floor would have helped massively here. But that's not what Toei does (and I wouldn't want to be the poor soul who would have to clean up a studio full of gravel!).

There is now just one episode left to dispatch Dagdedo and provide an epilogue for the series. That's going to be a lot of heavy lifting to do in just 22 minutes. So let's hope King-Ohger can stick the landing.
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:28 pm Lovingly bestow all the king's things to the rulers. Nothing for you Jeremie
That part definitely stood out. Poor Jeremie really is king of the bugs.:lol:
Do I even want to knoww hat woke up Jeremie
Sheer embarrassment is what I'm going with. Either way, that scene was weird. :shock:
What do you think Boshimaru said to Duga? Yous ee his lips
"Don't trust the Husty family. They're all insane!"
Edit: Oh that's interesting. As you guys might know, we've started adding chapters to our vids. This episode is fascinating in that it basically has no commercial breaks interrupting it. We get a prologue for 25 seconds, first cm break, then the rest of the episode, cm break, then previews. That's fairly unprecedented outside maybe a finale
Thank you for pointing that out. I certainly didn't realize that on my watch-through. Since TTFC lacks commercials, their placement isn't normally something I think about. But it is indeed incredibly remarkable that they aired essentially the entire episode commercial-free. I wonder if they'll try that again next week? (I'm guessing not, since the end of the final fight makes for a good point to stop for commercials)
Yaiba wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:01 am They really did a full scale battle in that tiny studio. I'm impressed. Here's some behind the scenes oh how they cobbled the footages together if anyone's interested https://twitter.com/SonyPCL/status/1759019191057932340
Thanks for that link. From the looks of things, they didn't shoot this entire episode on Toei's AR wall, which makes sense. It's simply not a big enough space. The photos on Toei's website show them shooting in a much larger space with a traditional green screen, which makes a lot of sense given the crowd size. That also explains some of the jankiness, since they couldn't use the superior AR wall for most of those shots.
Yay, Iroki and Karasu got to transform.
Of the many, many things I was not expecting. :shock: It looks like they even put a smaller stuntie in black's suit for that short shot (since black is normally taller than purple).
Side note, when the suit actors' characters (the Bugnaraku grunts and the kuroko) were standing beside normal actors, its interesting to see the difference in the way of acting. While the actors used more subtle movements, fascial expression and speech tones, the suit actors used more exaggerate movements and move around a lot because they could only act through body language.
Suit acting really is an art form in and of itself. Even when the characters are going to be overdubbed, you still have to do things differently in order to make a character clearly express themselves. And in this case where they aren't being overdubbed, it takes on a whole new level of importance. It's one of the things that makes Toku unique and memorable.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Meanwhile, the flying castle rocketing off, only to crash back down to the ground is the stuff of literal nightmares. Even though we as the audience already know the humans didn't board it, that's still a heartbreaking scene since the rulers don't know it's empty. Given that it's a feint at this point, I don't really get what the purpose was (it's not like the humans weren't immediately visible in their approaching the battlefield),

It does kind of feel like a weird plot hole. I guess they wanted Gira's reaction, but there's not really a good explanation within the world for doing it
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Here's a funny interaction between Grody and Iroki (married in real life) to Iroki getting the Hachi-Ohger treatment. DekaGreen also created a hashtag on twitter to petition for a theatrical cut of the final 3 episodes.

Amano Kousei (Grody) wrote: https://twitter.com/amano_kousei/status ... 5745626367
オージャカリバー
買わなきゃな
おウチで
やるからな
王鎧武装
I'll buy the Ohgercalibur. I'll do a transform at home
Hinagata Akiko (Iroki) wrote: https://twitter.com/hinagata_akiko/stat ... 1302556152
広いとこで
やるのよ
Do it outside in a wide-open space.

===========================================

Ito Yosuke (DekaGreen) wrote: https://twitter.com/LITOjp/status/1759239198153007420
ハッシュタグ作ってみました 生の声を聞かせてください
【 #キングオージャー最終三話劇場版 】

僕のところには以下の意見が多数
・映画館での応援上映イベも有
・48.49.50話繋ぎディレクターズカット版
・全国各地の映画館で
・クラファンも良い

大森P!
@Takahito_Omori
最高の49話でした
I created a hashtag. Please let me know what you think.
#キングオージャー最終三話劇場版 (#King Auger final three episodes theatrical cut)

Here's my opinions:
・There were supporting screening events at movie theaters.
・Director's cut version combining episodes 48, 49, and 50
・At movie theaters nationwide
・Crowdfunding is also fine

Omori P!
@Takahito_Omori
Episode 49 was awesome
Inada Tetsu (DekaMaster) wrote: https://twitter.com/trombe_boss/status/ ... 8597085421
お前がハッシュタグ作ったんかーい!
デカしたぞ、セン!
Did you create the hashtag?
Well done, Sen!
Ito Yosuke (DekaGreen) wrote: https://twitter.com/LITOjp/status/1759488677728899237
ボス!
そうなんです昨日5分くらい逆立ちして考えました!頭に血が昇りました!
Boss!
That's right, I did a headstand for about 5 minutes yesterday and came up with this idea! Blood rushed to my head!
Inada Tetsu (DekaMaster) wrote: https://twitter.com/trombe_boss/status/ ... 4577352056
我々宇宙警察地球署は、王様戦隊に全面協力する👍
The Space Police Earth Branch will provide our full support to Ohsama Sentai.👍
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

OMG!!! That wasn't the last EP?!?!? I thought it was going to be the last episode!!! Way to kill us with suspense. I'm surprise they didn't have the Kyoryuger show up. That might have been cool.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”