My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 07 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's average rating: 4.2 (5 votes)

No not Marie! That's a pretty good crazy face

Surprised she let all those other people run. The PR for Creacity must be wild

So this is another instance of "How evil do you have to be to turn into a Horror?" I guess the threshold is a lot lower here, but is jealousy enough to turn her?

Wait, did Mutsugi just summon the guys out of nowhere? (They're standing in the background of episode 2. They're another pair with matching names, but not like the other pair with matching names from other seasons)

Oh rip. Oh well

Not wild about this Horror design. She looks like a Star Trek alien

Also Nogome spell is back

Not liking the way Mutsugi looked at that crystal

/me makes a pen is mightier than the sword joke

Ooh, wasn't expecting Igus to get offed so early

Breaking the rules established by past lore. Sorta neat

Like the sword passing thing. Guess it's lucky th ese three guys all have the same armor and/or sword?

I get it's thematic for the show, but why is the Sword Dance the only thing Garo does now?

Do you know what I missed? The cool lighters

No don't put her brush in her hand like that. She's not dead. Souma, get some media literacy

Good tears from Mutsugi's actress. Koyori, are you a ninja? Why didn't they just film her walking up to them instead of appearing out of nowhere?

It's amazing how much better Souma and Koyori's costumes are to the rest of the jobbers. They just made Mutsugi's a bit sexier, but for the most part it looks like all the black clothes they could find in their costume trunk

That symbol looks like the tree of life

We're splitting the group into boys and girls

lol. Try calling for Koyori twice before Ryuuga. When you dont' get along with your coworkers

Souma really isn't media savvy. At least we get to see him dry dumb things

I love it when they mark the maze, since you know they'll see it again soon

The maze is like "Whelp, jig's up"

No graves for the two dudes. Ah, here it is. They're named Shippuu (gale/swift wind) and Reppuu (gale/violent wind)

That was a relatively enjoyable episode. We got some Horror action, with a Horror with a genuinely cool power. And we made a little progress in our main quest. It's just weird feeling since everything feels like it's shifted by half an episode. I guess to some extent, having Igus's funeral in the same episode that he dies makes sense. But otherwise, the Horror fight and the quest for everlasting darkness (or whatever mcguffin) are completely separate in kind of unsatisfying ways

Gotta say, it feels like maybe Gold Storm is going to be the unreachable zenith for the Ryuuga timeline. You've got Rian around, Priest Ryume who's great. Mr. Decade and his platonic friend Morticia eating the scenery as villains. This series isn't the disappointing of Garo VR, but it's missing a little something

Edit: Feel like Garo's Instagram just posted a spoiler pic
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Captions

Post by takenoko »

https://pastebin.com/JK4uxKi4

Dialogue: 0,0:00:29.92,0:00:30.94,Default,,0,0,0,,MARIE.

Hey they fixed it!

Dialogue: 0,0:03:07.76,0:03:11.10,Default,,0,0,0,,tragedy.

How are they getting tragedy? 惨(いたみ)So it could be san "appalling". Sanji could be tragedy, I guess? But the actual name (the pronunciation and kanji don't always align) says itami/pain. Maybe I'll change our title to Ache

Dialogue: 0,0:03:49.19,0:03:50.31,Default,,0,0,0,,I'll shut her down.

Feel like seal makes more sense since they're using charms

Dialogue: 0,0:05:14.31,0:05:15.32,Default,,0,0,0,,NOZOME.

It's literally just the sound, how do you get the middle consonant wrong?

Dialogue: 0,0:06:17.45,0:06:18.52,Default,,0,0,0,,Where is the stone of everlasting darkness?

Hey, I think that's our phrasing. Wasn't it eternal darkness last time?

Dialogue: 0,0:06:37.86,0:06:41.28,Default,,0,0,0,,When this talisman touches a HORROR, the flame burns and cleanses the evil spirit.

I was thinking of using talisman, but I think charm is a better description when it's paper

Dialogue: 0,0:16:04.20,0:16:09.96,Default,,0,0,0,,We have failed in our mission as makai order.

they keep using this phrasing for mamorishimono. I wonder why

Dialogue: 0,0:20:42.47,0:20:44.64,Default,,0,0,0,,ZARUBA, please follow the signs of the Makai Priests.

Again, surprised they didn't use priestesses here. We've pretty consistently used the term Makai Priest as a gender neutral term
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: Garo Hagane 07 released

Post by Yaiba »

Oh, it's Igus who bit the dust and not Ron that I was leading to believe. I guess that makes sense that its the mentor character, since this series' theme is inheriting the will and power of their predecessors.

Igus taking the claw hit felt forced. He wasn't knocked out like Ron, he should had enough time to just block it with his sword. Other than that, a pretty enjoyable episode. Igus' death forced all three steel knights to grow. Their combination attack was badass. I predict maybe Souma will replace Igus as their leader at the end. Ron was already actively seeking Souma's advice since last episode, and Obi was still too inexperienced.

Ryouga's sword dance briefly returned the Horror to human instead of disintegrated immediately, so it somehow absorbed/dispersed/cleansed the darkness. Souma looked shocked about it. Would this be a skill that Souma needed to grasped before he could master the sword dance

Mutsugi is starting to show her hidden agenda.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It could also be the charm burned away the evil that returned her to her humanity before dying
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Losing a knight is always tragic, but I think this could have been avoided if the crew had donned the Hagane before or at least partway into the fight? As Take noted earlier, the main issue is probably the budget, but without a stated time limit to worry about, I don't see an in-world reason why the knights would see a Horror able to use a Makai brush or even sword and choose to fight without their armor. There wasn't time for Igus to put it on by the time Obi was about to be Horror food, but the preventability of the death from the start diminished the impact. On the bright side, the rest of the fight had some really interesting dynamics to it; the crew playing tag team with their weapons was both fun to watch and helped showcase the knights' skill outside Horror zombies and training.

Speaking of armor, I missed the last ep, but looks like we've had three or four episodes in a row without the Garo armor (has that happened before in a Golden Knight entry? That's a third of this show!), and it came back here for 15 seconds. I'm not watching exclusively for in-suit fights, but that's not a lot...

I like the sense of family that both Mutsugi and Souma seem to have with Koyori. Souma entrusting the city to Ron and Obi also showed a nice bit of character growth from his must-protect-alone self from the start of the series. In a way, these episodes seemed mostly to be about giving us context and getting us to like or at least know the new characters; it looks like they're ready to shift the story into focus now. Part of me's excited for that, though part of me is also reminded of the sponsor bumper text from late in Dogengers' first season, also 12 episodes: "Finally, the plot's getting going!... wait... HUH? It's episode NINE!?"

YT sub notes: "kisama"/"you (derogatory)" > "I got angry." I know AI isn't perfect, but throwing this into Google Translate would've had more accuracy. Interesting that the latter seems to give the literal meaning without context while the AI seems to understand context (by comparison, anyway) with no idea how to word it.
Preview
Huh. When Igus theorized that Godou's disappearance was connected to the Gate of Destruction in episode 3, the thought occurred to me that he may have been suggesting Godou joined it rather than died hindering it, but at the time the latter seemed more likely. I'm glad Souma's gotten some character development in; he's going to need it...
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>As Take noted earlier, the main issue is probably the budget, but without a stated time limit to worry about, I don't see an in-world reason why the knights would see a Horror able to use a Makai brush or even sword and choose to fight without their armor.

It's so nakedly a budget issue that it's not even funny. Using the one special attack is basically akin to Sailor Moon doing her canned finisher attack every episode

>Speaking of armor, I missed the last ep, but looks like we've had three or four episodes in a row without the Garo armor (has that happened before in a Golden Knight entry? That's a third of this show!), and it came back here for 15 seconds. I'm not watching exclusively for in-suit fights, but that's not a lot...

I guess there's just more they can do outside the suit. On a meta level, having this Horror be so powerful is interesting because she's the mid boss. Going from here, we're going to go into main plot stuff probably. It just would have been nice if the evolution of the corruption of Creacity was a bit more explicit than implied

>I like the sense of family that both Mutsugi and Souma seem to have with Koyori.

I still think there's something off about Mutsugi, especially when it comes to Koyori

>YT sub notes: "kisama"/"you (derogatory)" > "I got angry." I know AI isn't perfect, but throwing this into Google Translate would've had more accuracy. Interesting that the latter seems to give the literal meaning without context while the AI seems to understand context (by comparison, anyway) with no idea how to word it.

lol, I mean generically that's all kisama is. Someone getting mad and saying something out of frustration, but usually it comes out as "you ass hole" or something. Not just the generic bubble of meaning. Oh AIs...
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

3 out of 5.

The budget of this show is so low that these iron knights can't even summon their armors. The struggle is real and they can't use the armors against a full form horror that can copy powers just like Kirby huh?...

They have 4-5 episodes left... at this point I don't know how can this show be saved.... however I glad that we got more Garo content and its better than nothing.
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Not to do a series discussion yet, but it's interesting in that this Garo series is probably a B/B- for me. I think there's a lot of good story ideas and acting in this series. Some of the unarmoed fight scenes are pretty creative

But the lack of budget makes it so painful sometimes with the scarce monster of the week. It's ironic because we get a lot of character focus as a result of the slower paced show, but we're sacrificing the dopamine hit of the monster fights and armored heroes as a result
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

This horror felt like Kaku Ranger’s Daradara. Definitely a welcomed difference from the last few episodes. It was cool seeing a horror eat people. The human aspect of this monster was incredibly uninteresting though.

I just wonder if next episode we’ll find a babe with the power.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”