King-Ohger 50 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:23 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
67%
☆☆☆☆
27%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 50 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Ratings for last episode: 4.43 out of 5 (14 votes)
While this isn't a very high score, I feel compelled to point out 11 of these votes were 5's

Quick, gather all the Nkosopa extras!

Now copy and paste all the Ishabaana extras

It looked like we had two dozen people on Chikyuu. Better make it look like Tofu has 100 people at least. I think that one dude on the right of Kaguragi is the guy credited as Head Farmer? He's in like the first episode and maybe one other, but overall, pretty sparse showing for a semi regular

Wow, look at all the people of Shugoddom. Make liberal use of that copy/paste function!

We're behind you kings! Like really behind. Actually, we'll wait right here

I guess we couldn't afford to pay for that one girl to come back as a force ghost

Hey, remember that little spider that Deznaraku liked? Here he is again!

LOL Grody gets a cameo too? Not the ending I would have imagined for Kamejimu. I guess we really are focusing on Dagdedo

Wait... what? Can we take a second to discuss what giving up one's life in this manner means before doing it?

Hmmm, why can't they fight in spac einstead of Dagdedo's play room of no linearity that sucks?

Well, that's something I hadn't seen before. The mecha parts literally disintegrating as they fight

Hey, Dag's head is open. Hey, everyone who guessed Dag's real form was the thing in his head (that escaped during the explosion), pat yourself on the back

Wait, are all the Shugods just mechanical bodies that house the souls? I feel like maybe they've implied that all this time... Up till now, I thought they were mechanical life forms and the souls were just their souls...

Oh hey, Racles got a wildman glow up. Is this like hot Ryu? I'm genuinely surprised Racles didn't die at the end

Pretty good ending. We had our epilogue with most of our people, while also hinting that more adventures await (See you again in the versus movies!)

Good guy Vroom Vroomger doesn't just do a handoff, he gives you a ride in his car!

Did that finale boost your opinion of King or was it par for the rest of the series?

Don't forget to join in our whole series discussion thread (Vote at the poll too)
viewtopic.php?p=294924#p294924
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: King-Ohger 50 discussion post

Post by HowlingSnail »

Thus ends the worst Sentai of the 21st century. And I only have to add that caveat because of how much I hated watching Ohranger.

It's difficult to really mention one thing I disliked about this show. Is it the characters, not a single one of whom was even remotely likeable? Was it the fact almost all of it was shot on unconvincing digital sets? Was it the plot that was essentially incomprehensible until the last arc? Hard to say. What I can say though is that I'm glad to see the back of it. Good riddance, and bring on Boonboomger I say.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

After 2 banger episodes, in comparison we had a milder one this week. The standard gathering the-power-of-friendship to defeat the big bad type of thing. This series was structured as a storybook type story-telling, so the typical never-ending-adventure type finish is fine as it is.

I spent way too much time trying to figure out why the researcher was thanking the lollypop. It's because the researcher's boss, that female scientist in the Raclus' Secret side story, was always eating lollypops. That was such a minor detail and happened so long ago it was so hard to recall.

I'm so glad Raclus, Deznarok and Jeremie all got to deal the final blow to Kamejimu. They were the ones who got screwed over by him the most. The black Tarantula finally got some relevance being Deznarok's king power.

(Don't think too hard on the duplicate clone humans. It's especially noticeable with Ishabaana's group)

Here's some behind the scenes for the mecha fight: https://twitter.com/SonyPCL/status/1761556273055879448

Well, that's a wrap for this year. The series had some goods and bads but I enjoyed it overall. Thank you to the staff and casts for making this happen. It'll reside among the group of shows I like.

And remember kids, when you're cleaning out your room next time, your stuff might revolt against you. :twisted:

Final group photo

Important supporting characters

Scripts cover
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That script looks cool

From the TV-Asahi page: 観察ポイント/実は頭部のインキュベータースペースに【クマムシ】型の本体が隠されていたようである。

"Point of note: The tardigrade-shaped being in the head Incubator Space is his true form"

On a side note, never forget that the japanese word for tardigrade is literally bear-bug
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'll write up a full post here a bit later, but as a quick note, I noticed a minor typo on the Anon encode:

04:00 - "nd that makes me laugh!"

Looks like he laughed so hard, he lost an 'A'. :shock:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Copy pasta is a terrible drug
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:35 pm I'll write up a full post here a bit later, but as a quick note, I noticed a minor typo on the Anon encode:

04:00 - "nd that makes me laugh!"

Looks like he laughed so hard, he lost an 'A'. :shock:
Gives a new meaning to LMAO.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Ahhh This episode was extremely pretty. I really hope we get to use this stage again. Now that i've gotten use to it. it's really quite nice.

Still 5 Kingdoms. Terribly Large Plot. it was something.

Thanks for the past year again whoever takes care of stuff
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The book Himeo was reading during the epilogue was "Sayonara Moffun" (Goodbye Moffun). Gira had also pulled this comic book out in ep38.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh how weird. I'm surprised they didn't translate the text for that in show

Also, that's the pic I used for the front page. Why do we only see her from the book up, and not the amazing giant gown she's wearing??
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Going into this final episode, I was very nervous whether the writers would stick the landing or not. The past two episodes have built things up very well, but to run with this analogy the full distance, the converse of that means that you have to stick the landing from a far greater height. And that can make it harder to do.

The end result then, is a landing. It's a wobbly landing, but it gets there.

Unsurprisingly, this first half of this episode is all about fighting; it's the final fight of the final episode to bring an end to it all. And I'm pleasantly surprised that for the first time in a while, the robo fight comes last rather than first. As much as I love the mecha stuff, even I'll admit that having the bot finish off the big bad isn't quite as cool as having the team itself do it, which is why so many series start with a bot fight and then knock the big bad down to size for the ground fight. To be sure, King-Ohger doesn't technically end on the bot fight, but it hits a happy medium here where the bot fight is the final fight, and everyone only gets out of their bots to deliver the final blow. Especially for how sparingly the King-Ohger robo was used in the second half of this series, I'm glad that it wasn't just the opening act (or something to be destroyed) and got to have a major impact in the final resolution of the series.

With that said, I'm going to spend a moment being nitpicky here, because that's what I do. I don't much care for how Dagdedo was defeated (fighting to the very end), which is why I consider this episode to have landed in a wobbly fashion. The crux of my complaint is that Dagdedo is an omnipotent god; he's not just unfathomably strong, but as we've seen on multiple occasions, he has the power to do anything and everything. As a trope and character archetype, omnipotent gods exists to give your heroes a foil that cannot be defeated with brute force or sheer will. They will always be more powerful than the hero, and must instead be defeated through indirect measures, such as trickery or just a straight-up appeal to reason. So I was bummed to see Dagdedo go down fighting, because at the end of the day it basically ignores his defining attribute for the sake of moving the plot along. The writers effectively put themselves into a corner, and their solution was to go around the problem rather than finding a way to go through it.

The frustrating bit is that this was played straight when Dagdedo died the first time to Racles' scheming - and even then, it was still a hard-won fight just to connect to deliver the killing blow. But here we see Dagdedo just outright overpowered, or perhaps it would be better to say he fights without using the full extent of his powers. Ultimately he loses here only because he needs to lose, and not because the plot gives us a reason for why he's become inferior to the King-Ohgers. That said, I accept this result because to get back to point one, Dagdedo had to die to wrap up the series, but I had really, really been hoping the writers would have the key to the King-Ohgers' victory be something other than just brute force.

On the plus side, while Dagdedo got a boring ending, Kamejimu sure didn't. If anything, I was expecting Kamejimu to be the one to go out in a curbstomp battle. But Deznaraku dragging him to hell for eternal torment is a much better ending for the two-faced rat bug bastard.:lol:

I also appreciated that the robo fight took place in Dagdedo's room. While it's an absolute CGI fest most of the time, they do work in a larger amount of live action suit footage than I was otherwise expecting. And as a location, Dagdedo's room has always been a fun little place due to the ethereal nature of having a room full of non-visible (chroma-keyed out) objects for the actors to interact with. Coupled with how the fight breaks out of that room at points, it's a fun way to go.

Otherwise, the epilogue scenes are okay. The whole thing is largely cheeky gags and callbacks to earlier moments in the series, rather than really showing us anything new, and that's okay. In fact, I'm not really sure if there was any other appropriate way for this series to end.

And on a final note, cheers once again to the Anon crew for all of your hard work in capping and subbing another season of Super Sentai.:)
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:23 pm I guess we couldn't afford to pay for that one girl to come back as a force ghost
Aha. Last week I said it seemed like they got everybody. But that's right, Racles' lady nerd remains dead. I'm glad they remembered her, even if they couldn't get her back for this. (schedule conflict, perhaps?)
Hey, remember that little spider that Deznaraku liked? Here he is again!
That's such an unexpected callback as well. Like King-Ohger Zero, the black spider (Abyss Tarantula, IIRC?) was just there to promote the black version of the 6th ranger's mecha. Like everything else mecha-related in this series, I wasn't expecting to see that referenced again in the back-half of the series. It's a very small scene, but it's a bigger continuity nod from the writers than I was anticipating.
Wait, are all the Shugods just mechanical bodies that house the souls? I feel like maybe they've implied that all this time... Up till now, I thought they were mechanical life forms and the souls were just their souls...
Despite being the machines that make up the titular King-Ohger, this series really hasn't done a good job of explaining just what they are and where they came from, has it? It's 20 seconds of exposition that could clear up a lot.
I'm genuinely surprised Racles didn't die at the end
I'm genuinely surprised that no one died. Leading up to this episode, I would have bet on one of the Husty brothers (most likely Gira) eating it. But I suppose having the series' red ranger - the leader of the group and face of the season - get killed at the end of it all is probably a bit much...
Good guy Vroom Vroomger doesn't just do a handoff, he gives you a ride in his car!
His car with no moving wheels!
Yaiba wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:37 am I'm so glad Raclus, Deznarok and Jeremie all got to deal the final blow to Kamejimu. They were the ones who got screwed over by him the most.
Agreed. Everyone had some beef with Kamejimu, but at the end of the day, Kamejimu's arc primarily ran through the three of those characters. So it was only fitting that they be the one to finish him off.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>So I was bummed to see Dagdedo go down fighting, because at the end of the day it basically ignores his defining attribute for the sake of moving the plot along. The writers effectively put themselves into a corner, and their solution was to go around the problem rather than finding a way to go through it.

But you see, they hit him in the head. No one thought to hit the head before lol. I do feel a bit for the writer, in that, how do you write a satisfying battle with an omnipotent god? If they had just killed him off when Racles tricked him, that would have been perfect

>And on a final note, cheers once again to the Anon crew for all of your hard work in capping and subbing another season of Super Sentai.:)

Yeah, go team anon~

>I'm glad they remembered her, even if they couldn't get her back for this. (schedule conflict, perhaps?)

I mean, she is also technically dead. But knowing that Racles is technically a good guy, if Bugnaraku hadn't gone and killed her for him, would he have really killed her to keep government secrets secret? Because that's him pretending to be an asshole to keep up a front for a cosmic god in case he's spying on him as he actively betrays him

>Despite being the machines that make up the titular King-Ohger, this series really hasn't done a good job of explaining just what they are and where they came from, has it? It's 20 seconds of exposition that could clear up a lot.

Unfortunately their one second explanation is that a Dagdedo did it. Maybe they're the remnants of the Bugnaraku gods that Dag killed and turned into war slaves? That'd explain why everything is bug related

>His car with no moving wheels!

Huh. Someone fire that animator
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

I'm normally just a KR guy but I do enjoy the sentai series once in a while. But not all of them keeps my interest from start to finish. This series is one that did kept my interest, the characters where over the top but wasn't not understandable. Unlike the 2 series before it, I just lost interest in them. I quite enjoyed this one though, with all the weird antics and bluster. Still don't understand what was so funny about Rin's face when the others finally got a good look at her and started laughing.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i really enjoyed the series overall. nothing i really disliked, except maybe the suits which grew on me.

i kind of felt like they ended the story too soon mid way, and then the space bug king arc/ending was .... what it was. Gira being immortal is like ... he's the RED how much more does he need? but then again he had the gold suit ... which really no one else but he could wear, and no Raclkus doesnt count.

enjoyed a full bug team.

"Inferno" and "Try and Fight" are part of my gym play list.

Rita was and remains my favorite from the show. They never really changed, and the They have the best final role call line, "the law is the spear that pierces the king! the law is the shield that protects the people!" yes all good stuff.

i didnt think a series where they were all kings/queens would work, and yet it was really awesome, and i looked forward to it each week.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Rita was and remains my favorite from the show. They never really changed, and the They have the best final role call line, "the law is the spear that pierces the king! the law is the shield that protects the people!" yes all good stuff.

For people who don't know, there's an Asian saying that if there's a spear that pierces everything and a shield that can block any weapon, that becomes... <drumrolls> a contradiction. And thus the kanji for contradiction is a spear and a shield 矛盾. Is the writer subtly saying that a law that's all encompassing would be a contradiction, or is this just wordplay? Who knows

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”