My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 08 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's average rating: 3.67 (6 votes)

More reused footage. Either this series needed more filming or a shorter run. Like some is okay, but 2 minutes is a bit much

What's this? A conversation between Souma and Ryuuga? I kind of like this! This is the kind of stuff I appreciate about this series, despite its faults

Man, Ryuuga has not aged a day in 10 years. He still looks boyish

Oh, tehre's the spoiler Zango pic I saw last week. It's a pretty cool design. Kind of a wolf crossed with a skeleton. And the figure on the chest is interesting. Is it worth pointing out that white is the color of death in Japanese culture and he's kind of an evil looking knight?

Wait,t his is what we get a Garo transformation for? Wow, holy shit. Is that the yami suit? I think it's still Shou's helmet, but good job wardrobe for keeping it around for 10 years
Edit: No wait, looking at it more closely, I think they just spray painted the Shou armor black. The Yami armor is black in the same places, but there's different design elements. Also Yami's belt isn't the normal Garo belt. Also, wasn't Yami's armor all cgi?
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/File:Garo ... eClean.jpg
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/File:GaroYamiDVD01.jpg
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/File:Maka ... _ver.).jpg

LOL, why is Godou's base a cave? How do his books not rot from mold

All these particle effects sure look bad in streaming format

There's a nice rapport between Ryuuga and Godou. Again, this stuff works for me with this series

We really like Godou now, sooo how many minutes until we find out he's the big bad of the series?

Huh, I didn't really catch the riddle, I know we translated in a previous epsiode

Oh hey, is that a dragon?

Oh, this isn't what I expected from the Godou reveal. Maybe Mutsugi is the big bad after all?

Edit: BTW we know Zango's full title now:
Luminous Slash Knight Zango (光斬騎士ザンゴ) with the kanji for Zango being "Skillful Slash". And the kanji for "go" has a "ga/fang" radical in it

Do the Suzumura brothers have a sister? We have Suzumura Masaki as the action director, Suzumura Kenichi was the voice of rumplestilskin from a few episodes back. Now the voice actress for the ring is Suzumura Yuka... annnnd I can't find any info on her. That makes me think she's related to these guys

I know it's been 20 years since Yami, but so much of the Garo series is about fathers and sons and inheritance. I remember Ryuuga having a mom, but do we know anything about his dad?

Edit:
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/List_of_Makai_Knights

Added Steel and Zango to the list of Makai Knights. I wasn't even entirely sure if I had a list lol
jason3000
Infinity
Quote: wagana wa garo,ogon kishi

Re: Garo Hagane 08 released

Post by jason3000 »

I think is lost soul armor instead of dragon around the end
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Captions

Post by takenoko »

https://pastebin.com/HKe6yDYx

00:00:09,580 --> 00:00:11,670 This is the labyrinth ARIBISU.

you're the one's that spelled it Arivis in the first place!!

00:00:36,270 --> 00:00:36,940 KOYORI.
00:00:40,510 --> 00:00:42,050 SOUMA, RYUGA.

Also, why are all the names in all caps. Is this a way for the ai to not accidentally translate them literally?

00:03:40,580 --> 00:03:46,750 There were times when my father would make the same face as you after he killed a HORROR.

Yeah, proper nouns are getting the all caps treatment

00:06:06,000 --> 00:06:08,000 A customer is waiting for you.

I had to look this up because it made no sense in context. It's supposed to be Ilva's line. I translated it as "You have a guest."

00:06:14,720 --> 00:06:16,890 I am Ryuuga Dogai.

Wait, have they always used western order for names?

00:06:17,830 --> 00:06:19,830 Are you a Golden Knight?

Just one of many I guess!

00:06:52,320 --> 00:06:56,680 That technique is the SENKOUKENBU.

You translated the episode title as Flash but don't translate the special move that you've been calling flash sword since episode 2

00:08:38,580 --> 00:08:41,660 I traveled all over the place to solve the mystery of the Gate of Destruction.
00:08:42,830 --> 00:08:44,100 This is one of the pieces I got there.

This is an AI not understanding context. He's not been to the gate of destruction! The piece is for solving the mystery!

00:09:00,590 --> 00:09:06,370 The first step in SENKOUKENBU is to connect with SOUL METAL through heart-to-heart communication.

Sounds romantic

00:09:07,220 --> 00:09:09,540 Please control the evil spirit that resides in the sword.

A cursed sword?

00:12:02,160 --> 00:12:05,340 SENKOUKENBU has a pair of special moves.

This is where he tells Ryuuga about the other special move, but this phrasing is pretty confusing

00:13:12,320 --> 00:13:13,950 I guess every father is like that.

This is Godou speaking, not Ryuuga. He's the father talking about fatherhood

00:14:27,610 --> 00:14:31,100 Your son will become a fine Makai Realm Knight like you.

Makai Realm Knight?!

00:14:46,900 --> 00:14:51,880 When you meet my son, I will entrust him to you.

Whaaat. That's totally not what that sentence meant

00:16:10,850 --> 00:16:13,310 All phenomena exist at the origin.

Suuuure...

00:17:14,580 --> 00:17:21,450 A person with light desires blood, not the end.
00:17:42,250 --> 00:17:45,150 All phenomena have their origin.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I'm surprised we got to see the Ryuuga's original black armor. It was all cgi back then so they actually put the effort to show it in real armor for a 2 second cameo. He didn't move so it might just be digitally painted black over the gold armor but still.

The preview last episode led me to believe Godou became the enemy, which is not the case. Nice red herring.

Nice scenes with Ryuuga just talking it out with Godou and Souma.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ImageImage

Ryuuga's yami armor has the gold restored. The dark version has no triangle in his buckle and has green eyes. There's a yellow jewel in his chest and head. Golden form has orange/gold eyes, yellow tirangle, and a green jewel in the chest

In the SHou movie he gets upgraded to his Shou form. Triangle changes to red, I think he gets slightly more spiky and slightly bigger chest and shoulders? Eyes are more orange

ImageImage
In Hagane he's still in the Shou version. For this dark version, it's obviously the Shou version just colored black. The shoulders are the Shou version, he's still got orange eyes, he's got the buckle instead of the circle
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Huh. I remember Gold Storm got a darkness-related upgrade late in, so maybe they got the suit from there?

For an episode without a lot of conflict (the Horror fight being incidental and very little even in the way of interpersonal conflict like 3 & 4), this was fairly engaging, with a heck of an end twist. Ryuuga looks maybe a bit younger in the flashback, but it feels a bit disappointing that they didn't try to give him something like his Gold Storm-era coat and hair. Given Godou appearing, this is at least 2021 (adjusting for whatever the in-world year is), and we last saw him with Rian and his lighter coat in 2018, so the timeline feels a little thinner than it last was.

I can only guess that the second technique Godou mentioned is going to show up by the series end, though I'm not sure why one would want to conversely depurify light to darkness--much like my comments on Gold Storm's darkness upgrade back then, it's a rather odd choice for the Ryuugaverse after YwTM was premised on an armor apparently tainted by darkness. (Side note--I'm not actually sure what light and darkness are in this world.) The Flash Sword Dance is pretty neat, but pretty much any knight/Horror fight involving armor isn't a contest, let alone for Garo, so I don't think it's been communicated why it's so desirable. Does it save the user the trouble of purifying his sword?

Also interesting that Mutsugi starts revealing her true colors--to the audience, anyway. At a guess, at least one of her goals seems to be turning Souma into a fallen knight, with the darkness from his failed Flash Sword Dance attempts (did she encourage those?) giving her a good head start. I do wonder how well her alignment works in hindsight, though. She clearly wanted Souma to be alone at the end, so why did she send for Ryuuga in the first place? He's helped turn Souma into a far better person over just a few episodes, and putting a knight as competent as Garo on the board as part of an elaborate evil scheme just seems like a very bad decision. Was the plan that she'd get Ryuuga to fetch the key and make Souma jealous, then hope she can keep him out of the picture afterward? I guess it's too early to actually tell. Certainly looking forward to what comes next
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Huh. I remember Gold Storm got a darkness-related upgrade late in, so maybe they got the suit from there?

Oh I'll have to look, totally didn't remember that

>Given Godou appearing, this is at least 2021 (adjusting for whatever the in-world year is), and we last saw him with Rian and his lighter coat in 2018, so the timeline feels a little thinner than it last was.

In my head cannon, he and Rian broke up, that's why he's off to get strong

> though I'm not sure why one would want to conversely depurify light to darkness--

I'm betting a million bucks the justification will have something to do with not being able to have light without darkness and vice a versa

>but pretty much any knight/Horror fight involving armor isn't a contest, let alone for Garo, so I don't think it's been communicated why it's so desirable. Does it save the user the trouble of purifying his sword?

I don't think there really is a justification, but it is pretty much a one hit KO on any Horror so far

>She clearly wanted Souma to be alone at the end, so why did she send for Ryuuga in the first place?

Because without Ryuuga they probably couldn't have made it to the gate. Souma from the beginning of the series is really not that competent. Although, the jealousy angle would be interesting to see

It's interesting to see Mutsugi's true colors, because in hindsight, she's the one who originally sent Koyori away. Again, you see how she's isolating Souma from everyone else. Does she have plans that can only be met by having Souma and his dad together?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Zango is cool and all, but Dan is cooler.

Why is it always a good guy going bad or a bad guy pretending to be good? I wonder how that priestess is gonna be killed.

Poor Souma. May he get peace and to be with Koyori in the end.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Just translated the stone tablet's contents on this thread; that last sentence is particularly interesting in light of this episode's ending--the tablet mentions that "It's said that the righteous ones of the past have left many behind," and we've just now started to learn why Godou's been away from Souma for so long.
Full approx. translation (hopefully nothing here's an actual spoiler, but can never know)
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Ok the plot twist of the priestess being the main villain was good.

Was that really Zango's armor at the end in hollow form holding the gate of destruction?
Final Vent!

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”