My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 09 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's average rating: 4.5 (4 votes)

Souma, how do you know that wolf dragon thing is your dad? Oh, Mutsugi is going face off villain, look at that smile

Oh, that can't be good for Souma

Oh, we're revisiting the should Makai guys meddle with human affairs or not again

Wait, who is Souma's mom? Because a lot of knights and priests end up hooking up

I like how the people in the drawing look like generic medieval europeans

man, do you remember the brief look she has when Ryuuga returns with the stone of everlasting darkness? What good, subtle foreshadowing

Is this the most we see of the seductress? I would have sworn she worked for Mutsugi or Godou

Wait, Godou, why are you here if you're not to open the gate?

Okay, evil Mutsugi is a lot more fun

Oh, that's an interesting transformation Godou. Two circles that form an infinity, fancy

I'm sorry Souma, but seeing you gape like a goldfish like that is way too funny

That's hilarious, she was sabotaging efforts all this time. That's why Souma had to be the one knight in town

Wait, are we missing a scene between Souma stabbing his dad in the eye? It feels like it lingers too long on nothing

Damn, that's really where you're leaving us/ Between the minute and a half of repeat after the CM and some other scenes, it definitely felt like we were filling the time just to end on this shot of RYuuga and Souma facing off

Edit:
If you watch the opening sequence, this week the last scene of it changed. Previously it was Steel and Garo standing across from each other with a black thing in the background. Now, we see that the opening ends with Zango in his beast form
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Captions

Post by takenoko »

https://pastebin.com/EdmqYDf3

00:02:38,360 --> 00:02:39,910 Did MUTSUGI make us come here on purpose?

Strange way to phrase teleport, guess vague is more likely to be accurate with an AI

00:03:30,220 --> 00:03:32,570 MUTSUGI seemed to know where SOUMA was going.
00:03:33,150 --> 00:03:35,840 He followed the magic circle and found them.

Mutsugi, he's full of surprises!

00:03:56,550 --> 00:03:58,990 It is the night of dawn that comes once every three years.

red moon

00:04:01,830 --> 00:04:04,320 I'm going to the One-Eyed Forest.

Did they use one-eyed before? Cyclops forest??

00:05:57,340 --> 00:06:02,050 Grudge prevents people from becoming unhappy.

Again with Inga translated as grudge. Like, it's a good translation for urami or something, but INga is more darkness, the dark side

00:06:21,590 --> 00:06:24,520 As a makai order, I did what was expected of me.

Weird makai order isn't all capped

00:07:53,530 --> 00:07:56,660 That's if the same thing happens again.
00:07:57,760 --> 00:07:59,740 All I can do is watch it in silence?

00:08:01,940 --> 00:08:04,430 Is there any point in saving a murderer?
00:08:05,600 --> 00:08:07,940 It's the same as how we miss out on HORROR.

Just the phrasing is funny to me

00:10:55,200 --> 00:10:57,410 My knowledge will be useful in ABYSS.

Wha- Arivis! This isn't translated with audio, you have the actual script!

00:13:56,670 --> 00:13:58,850 Utsugi, calm down.

Huh, maybe it is translated from the audio

00:14:49,410 --> 00:14:52,650 Zansae!

This really confused me, because I couldn't figure out what it was trying to translate. It's the translation for the Zango that appears on screen. I guess even this is AI translated, somehow???

00:17:17,890 --> 00:17:19,410 GODOU, did this happen because of you?

Just a reminder this is Souma accusing Mutsugi of being responsible for what happened to his dad

00:19:17,460 --> 00:19:19,190 I was able to follow in his footsteps.

How did you get footsteps from jutsu no ato??

00:20:04,290 --> 00:20:06,390 I will take off my armor to protect the world.

Stupid sexy Souma

00:21:10,460 --> 00:21:12,660 The role of Light Slash Knight ZANGO is played by YUGO FUJII.

At least Zango is right here

00:22:35,840 --> 00:22:37,250 The ending theme song is Immortal Shura no Namida.

Huh

00:23:12,740 --> 00:23:19,280 The action director is MASAKI SUGIMURA.

Suzumura

00:23:38,370 --> 00:23:40,060 You are steel!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Hagane 09 released

Post by Lunagel »

I think I figured it out. While the initial translation was AI, the script was then handed off to checkers to adjust, but there was no communication between checkers as to certain phrases, and it's unlikely they were given the other episodes to check continuity. Hence you get inconsistent translations/proper nouns from episode to episode, and wildly different quality. (what was up with the credits this week? did they make people translate that every single week instead of just c/p?)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:11 am (what was up with the credits this week? did they make people translate that every single week instead of just c/p?)
I think so sicne they didn't get Suzumura's name wrong before

[00:30] <&Lunagel> huh, now that I know it's just a romaji cypher, I can kinda read the makai language
[00:30] <&Lunagel> the gate of destruction says "hametsu" over it
[00:31] <~takenoko> oh?
[00:31] <&Lunagel> look at 9:04
[00:32] <~takenoko> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pj8rh6tMkWk
[00:32] <~takenoko> same thing in zelda
[00:32] <~takenoko> if you skip to halfway through the short, the sign about the stable says stable in english (sorta)
[00:50] <&Lunagel> christ did we really need a one minute recap after the break
[00:55] <~takenoko> it's too bad, I think Hagane is a pretty good show with like bad show budget and editing
[00:57] <&Lunagel> please stop showing me Souma's O face
[00:57] <~takenoko> I love it
[00:58] <~takenoko> Souma, surprise sex doll face please
[01:00] <&Lunagel> I mean the story and the atmosphere are still pretty damn good
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

So are any other people fans of Amemiya’s other creations?

Kouga and now Ryuga (kind of) look like human form Hakaider. The default black wing horror form originally appeared in Hakaider but was white. Zango is a cross of Iria’s battle armor and Zeiram, with Zeiram’s little face and all.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah that little face has big Amemiya design energy
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Huh; so yeah, it looks like Souma's angst, willful obliviousness to his father, and, again, messing around with darkness made him the perfect candidate for Mutsugi's scheme. It doesn't help that they’re right next to the Door of Darkness--uh, I mean the Gate of Destruction--which may be closest it's been in a while to opening. Despite Ron and Obi no longer being in the cast, their ep. 4 conversation feels relevant, as does Ryuuga's advice to Obi in episode 3--Souma appears to be tempted under the guise of inheriting his father's armor, but those earlier episodes emphasized that being a Hagane is perfectly sufficient for their job of destroying Horrors, and may even be preferable to the weight of being a distinct named knight. This also puts a new spin on the title--I thought it clearly meant Souma inheriting the Hagane status from Godou, but we've recently learned that Godou wasn't a Hagane. So who is it?

Re. captions--the opening credits going "He is (actor's name)" and continuing that format through the entire OP was fun, however unintentionally (as was the completely unnecessary "Zansae!", with the exclamation point being the closest we've gotten to a personality from the translations). My best guess is that they're tweaking the AI a bit, but not enough to significantly improve the viewing experience.

I know this didn't happen, but it'd be extremely funny if Koyori's blast just vaporized the seductress and she's never mentioned again.

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:03 pmYeah that little face has big Amemiya design energy
Is Amemiya involved with this? The captions just say "original work by" him, but I can't tell if that means "This is an original work by him" or "The original '05 work was by him"
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>that being a Hagane is perfectly sufficient for their job of destroying Horrors, and may even be preferable to the weight of being a distinct named knight. This also puts a new spin on the title--I thought it clearly meant Souma inheriting the Hagane status from Godou, but we've recently learned that Godou wasn't a Hagane. So who is it?

Oh, that's a good point. Because they make a big effort in episode one to show that a steel knight is basically a knight with no title, no name. It's a class of knight more than anything else, like grunts. I definitely don't think Hagane wo Tsugumono can be interpreted as The steel knight's inheritance, the wo there definitely means the steel armor is what's being inherited. Maybe they thought the title was cool before they fleshed out the story?

>Re. captions--the opening credits going "He is (actor's name)" and continuing that format through the entire OP was fun

I saw that and went "What are you doing"

>I know this didn't happen, but it'd be extremely funny if Koyori's blast just vaporized the seductress and she's never mentioned again.

Oh, I might be confused on what actually happend there. I thought the seductress disappeared when Ryuuga and Koyori arrived, I didn't think any spell happened (Does Koyori know spells?) I also feel like the seductress should only be visible to the person she's seducing, so I don't think Mutsugi should be able to see her either if she's seducing Souma. But this is just my assumptions

>The captions just say "original work by" him, but I can't tell if that means "This is an original work by him" or "The original '05 work was by him"

the latter, the creator credit is akin to them giving credit to Ishinomori for Kamen Rider or Hatte Saburou for Sentai
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Am I correct in the understanding that Mitsubishi (leaving this auto correct because it’s hilarious) is possessed either by that seductress or the gate? Once whichever got its grasp on her, she did noticeably change.

I’m over all things Souma.

So there was a gunshot sound when seductress went down. I thought Rian was going to make a surprise appearance. I guess I can’t let it go.

This series is kind of a retelling of the Gold Storm movie. The Hagane look like the antagonist from the movie, and the basic plot is the same. “I want a world without horrors so I’m gonna kill all the people.”
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Lady Priest wants to open the Gate and is using emo!Knight as her tool to do so. What a shock. /s

The trope isn’t bad in and of itself. Using it more than once in a franchise isn’t even a problem if it’s done well. But, thinking back, I think Garo has used the same “ally is secretly a villain” twist in every series, dating back to the original series.

(Hmm, maybe not the one with Decade. But I honestly don’t remember much about the stories involving him.)

I really want to like this show, but I’m having a hard time staying excited by a series that is both predictable and not even trying to hide its efforts to pad the run time. The first two episodes had such interesting Horrors, fight scenes, and world-building - where did all that creativity go? Either they blew the budget or that stuff was leftover from one of the other series.

Honestly, the only thing I’m still curious about is the Lady in Red. I’m guessing she’s the embodiment/offshoot of the Gate that couldn’t be sealed away. (Although “body” is probably a poor word choice since it doesn’t seem like she has a physical body that everyone can see - only those she is actively trying to corrupt.)

My final prediction is that the Gate gets fully unsealed or unsealed just enough for her to get a physical form for the Knights to fight. After all, it’s not a Garo series unless there’s a mostly-naked female evil entity for the heroes to fight in the final episode.

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”