Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard Hyper Battle DVD

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Oh hey, the Jamato are here?

Why do they still release DVDs? Or at least Blu-ray versions of the HBV. It's weird watching a thing at potato quality in this day and age

Why does Rinne have more personality here more than the main show?

Does wizard have a real form. I guess it shows up in the movie?

Oh, they called it a Hyper Battle DVD. A HBD??

Is Minato on the roof via green screen?

Who is this guy? Is that Spanner? Oh yeah it is. Sorry, I forgot you were in this show

Oh, they're on the DonBrothers roof

Shinji and Asuka, learn to dance in sync! Sorry, but volleyball isn't really catching my interest

Clearly they needed to write a different character for Rinne's actress. Having her be miss boring really works against her actresses limited acting strengths

That's al ovely shot of the sun over Tokyo, too bad it's like 480p

We have a gender swap trope and Houtarou doesn't even try to feel Rinne's boobs. What anime is this?

They literally can't make a bedroom for Rinne? Are we supposed to think she just sleeps in the school??

Has Hopper1 always had wings? I guess it's easier to see in the dark

I guess Ichinose's always had the hair scratch habit. It's not much, but it's a nice character beat that is always there, but you might not notice it consciously

They should fight on the roof more, it gives their capes some action

That's quite a fancy form for Gotchard

I guess everything they trained for paid off

Edit:
Oh hey, looks like Majade is Majesty + Card

Actually, the note at 15:57 is fascinating. Apparently she considered Galahad as one of them? Elfriede means "Elf strength". But ummm... when was this backstory established??? Other names she considered:
Kamen Rider Creed クリィード
Kamen RIder Delayed ディレード
Kamen RIder Rezard レザード
Kamen Rider Aid エイド
Kamen Rider Majade
Kamen Rider Elfriede エルフリード
Kamen Rider Galahad ガラハッド
Kamen Rider Genaid ジェネイド
Kamen RIder Ride ライド
Kamen Rider Wind ウインド

All the names end in d. It's almost like everything I guessed about Majard's name was right the first time lol
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Gotchard Hyper Battle DVD

Post by Lunagel »

Okay, so Rinne's actress can actually act a bit when she's given something to work with. Usually I love body swap episodes but this was just painful. Houtaro's actor was almost invisible. I didn't believe for a moment that was Rinne in there.

Oh hi Wizard, shilling for the movie, are we? They must've shot this concurrently with it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

>Okay, so Rinne's actress can actually act a bit when she's given something to work with. Usually I love body swap episodes but this was just painful. Houtaro's actor was almost invisible. I didn't believe for a moment that was Rinne in there.

But how can a manly man portray the nuance and subtlety that is Kudou Rinne?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

And opposite this week's bore, we have a genuinely interesting HBV.

Strip away the gags, and the core plot of this episode could have - and probably should have - been a first-half Gotchard plot. It's meaningful character development that at the same time stretches out the actors in ways that the series proper rarely does. Otherwise it's pretty irreverent overall, which is fitting for this kind of video.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Wiki
Why do they still release DVDs? Or at least Blu-ray versions of the HBV. It's weird watching a thing at potato quality in this day and age
My thoughts precisely. Ultimately, all BD players can play DVDs, so a DVD is the single most compatible option available. And it's going to be at least marginally cheaper.
Clearly they needed to write a different character for Rinne's actress. Having her be miss boring really works against her actresses limited acting strengths
You aren't wrong, that's for sure. She has some range to her, but the character necessitates that she keep everything buttoned down 99% of the time.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 am Okay, so Rinne's actress can actually act a bit when she's given something to work with. Usually I love body swap episodes but this was just painful. Houtaro's actor was almost invisible. I didn't believe for a moment that was Rinne in there.
That much is also true. Rinne is so buttoned down that there aren't very many obvious elements for another actor to copy, at least not in the same way that the highly animated Houtarou sticks out. Keeping a character flat without making them lifeless is walking a fine line at times.
Ruffinn Kein
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: 人知れず生まれ、人知れず生きる、そして人知れず消えるもの。それでも人に知られ、思い出されたいもの。
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ruffinn_kein/

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

Why are there Jyamato in a gotchard hbDVD? Does the hbDVD connect to the geats crossover movie?
I think playing Houtarou is more suitable for Rinne’s actress than Rinne. At least it’s entertaining.
Why didn’t they walk through the steps together before moving on to the henshin in its entirety? Did they take the stupid way out so they could have more filler time for the hbDVD?
Wow, Houtarou read my mind. I was gonna say the same thing- I feel weird seeing Spanner trying to teach Rinne (in houtarou’s body) volleyball. I know the body is Houtarou’s, but it’s still Rinne inside of it… I was expecting Rinne (in houtarou’s body) to complain about it, but that didn’t happen… :| (-_-)
Why is Minato so entertaining here…! LMAO
It’s interesting seeing houtarou (in Rinne’s body) fangirl over Majade… lol.
Whoa… this is surprisingly serious and plot-focused for an hbDVD. Why isn’t every Gotchard episode like this, slow-paced and properly put together? They should’ve had fewer characters so they could’ve focused on building up these 2 central characters since the story centers around their relationship and character development.
Why is Gotcha the main catchphrase of this show… it doesn’t for me no matter who does it.
Aw… Seeing these 2 do the Alpine dance game thing is surprisingly cute… Again, why don’t they have stuff like this on the tv series?!
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Why does Rinne have more personality here more than the main show?
Are you talking about Houtarou in Rinne's body or the actual Rinne who is in Houtarou's body right now? it's hard for me to tell...
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Who is this guy? Is that Spanner? Oh yeah it is. Sorry, I forgot you were in this show
Is he really that forgettable? I can't tell, I haven't been watching Gotchard weekly, but he certainly seems more interesting to me than the other 4 alchemy students, since he has a better backstory and the relationship with Kyouka.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Oh, they're on the DonBrothers roof
Was the DonBros roof different from the regular Toei roof?
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Clearly they needed to write a different character for Rinne's actress. Having her be miss boring really works against her actresses limited acting strengths
I watch random Gotchard episodes every now and then and I wonder what is wrong with Rinne. Is it the writing, the acting, the actress, the directing or the overall execution... Can't the staff for Goctahrd tell that whatever they're doing with Rinne's character isn't working out very well?
Right now, from the top of my head, the female Rider closest to Rinne I can think of, who tried to be cool and in control, is probably... Yua/Valkyrie? I'm not sure if that comparison is right, though. And I know that didn't work out well for a dozen reasons, but at least I liked her presence on screen for the most part. For Rinne, I never feel like she's there, not only because Gotchard has too many characters to work with, but also because Rinne is the most passive of them all. Even Sabimaru probably has more things to do than Rinne, and he's supposed to be the guy who can't speak in a regular voice... :|
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm We have a gender swap trope and Houtarou doesn't even try to feel Rinne's boobs. What anime is this?
As unusual as it was, I appreciated that they didn't do it and make it awkward this time.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm They literally can't make a bedroom for Rinne? Are we supposed to think she just sleeps in the school??
Apparently, the explanation is that Rinne doesn't want to let Houtarou into her room, which I think is the right thing to do.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm They should fight on the roof more, it gives their capes some action
Yeah, it's easy to forget that the capes are there to begin with... What's the point of having capes in their uniforms, again?
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Actually, the note at 15:57 is fascinating. Apparently she considered Galahad as one of them? Elfriede means "Elf strength". But ummm... when was this backstory established???
I won't know better than you, but putting so much thought into picking the Rider name thing is probably introduced in this special itself... At least, it seemed so to me.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm All the names end in d. It's almost like everything I guessed about Majard's name was right the first time lol
What did you guess the first time?
ViRGE wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 am And it's going to be at least marginally cheaper.
Marginally is right. I've seen the prices of some of the home media releases, and the price difference between Blu-ray and dvd is always about 1000 yen (roughly $10, I guess). And the Blu-ray has way more extra content than the dvd, it makes me wonder who the heck would rather buy the dvds, and why they even produce dvds, to begin with.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 am Okay, so Rinne's actress can actually act a bit when she's given something to work with. Usually I love body swap episodes but this was just painful.
For Rinne's character alone, yes. The only thing she did in this special was find Houtarou's Alchemy note and... slap Houtarou at the end? Oh, I forgot, she also aided in the fight by pressing the buttons on Houtarou's driver. In 17 mins, that's no contribution considering she's the 2nd main character/Rider.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 am Houtaro's actor was almost invisible. I didn't believe for a moment that was Rinne in there.
Did he even have many lines? Rinne's actress did 90% of the talking, Minato, Spanner and Wizard did 7% and some parts of the remaining 3% were Houtarou's actor's lines.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm Clearly they needed to write a different character for Rinne's actress. Having her be miss boring really works against her actresses limited acting strengths
Makes me wonder if the staff don't know what they're doing with Rinne's character and that whatever results they're coming up with aren't exactly working.
Well, I sure wrote a lot about a special from a tv series that I don't even watch or like much to begin with... :lol: That probably doesn't help my reputation... :oops:
Ruffinn Kein 🙃
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Why are there Jyamato in a gotchard hbDVD? Does the hbDVD connect to the geats crossover movie?

yeah basically. X Wizard and the Wizard Malgam are also from t he movie (coming soon to a torrent near you, but maybe not so soon)

>Why is Minato so entertaining here…! LMAO

He's back to being mr boring on the tv show now that he's no longer conflictedly evil

>Are you talking about Houtarou in Rinne's body or the actual Rinne who is in Houtarou's body right now? it's hard for me to tell...

I guess it's ambiguous. But I was talking about Rinne's actress

>Was the DonBros roof different from the regular Toei roof?

I just remember it since the DOnbro x Hurri x Aba always ended up on the roof so it's memorable to me. Is that Toei's roof, I thought the Toei roof looked different

>Can't the staff for Goctahrd tell that whatever they're doing with Rinne's character isn't working out very well?

I feel like director tasaki just likes directing awkward girls

>Yeah, it's easy to forget that the capes are there to begin with... What's the point of having capes in their uniforms, again?

capes look cool

>I won't know better than you, but putting so much thought into picking the Rider name thing is probably introduced in this special itself... At least, it seemed so to me.

I'm just like, what was the backstory for this and the king arthur stuff. It's not inherintly alchemy related, unless I'm forgetting something
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 pm All the names end in d. It's almost like everything I guessed about Majard's name was right the first time lol
What did you guess the first time?

Majard = Majestic + card

>ell, I sure wrote a lot about a special from a tv series that I don't even watch or like much to begin with... :lol: That probably doesn't help my reputation... :oops:

You should write more! It's more fun when there's more people in a discussion
Ruffinn Kein
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: 人知れず生まれ、人知れず生きる、そして人知れず消えるもの。それでも人に知られ、思い出されたいもの。
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ruffinn_kein/

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm But I was talking about Rinne's actress
Ah, I see.
takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm I just remember it since the DOnbro x Hurri x Aba always ended up on the roof so it's memorable to me. Is that Toei's roof, I thought the Toei roof looked different
Oh, the place they used in the Volleyball scene. It has been used in the LvP HBV, Kiramager and other times too, so I don't associate it with just Donbros. And it looks less like a roof, and more like some other set than the usual roof Toei uses.
takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm capes look cool
That's a poor explanation, but I think it's a probable one in this case... :|
takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm Majard = Majestic + card
But isn't this different from how the name is pronounced? Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm >Well, I sure wrote a lot about a special from a tv series that I don't even watch or like much to begin with... :lol: That probably doesn't help my reputation... :oops:
You should write more! It's more fun when there's more people in a discussion
I'm glad to hear you say that. I try to come here whenever I have some time to actually put my thoughts down somewhere. Being an active Toku fan is hard when someone's a student. 🤷‍♀️
Ruffinn Kein 🙃
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm Majard = Majestic + card
But isn't this different from how the name is pronounced? Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Majade マジェード (ma je - do)
Majesty マジェスティ (Ma je su ti)
Card カード (Ka - do)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It's one of those things that makes sense on paper but looks really stupid when written down

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”