My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 31 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 3.43 of 5 stars (7 votes)

Rinne, get up or stay down. Stop wavering

Minato should have melted Tsukumo instead of checking her pulse and then telling Kudou to fight. That's really silly priorities

Oh good, Kudou's come to her senses... Oh wait, guess we'll see her fight after the opening sequence

Oh, I guess it's neat that Rinne has both the sun and moon powrs

Wait, Kudou could have thawed Gotcha and Kudou this whole time and didn't do it?? All Minato did was tell Kudou to believe in herself and catch Tsukumo XD

Lakhesis has been with Spanner's mom for like 2 weeks and this is their first time eating together? These are all nitpicks, but they add up to a lot when the story isn't that grabbing. But hey, there's the donut trailer where the Donbros ramen set is usually

Oh hey, I guess they're still paying Geryon's actor to appear. Carbuncle?

Speaking of nitpicks, I think someone mentioned it last week, but having the emotional crux depend on a 15 year old girl who can't emote and a 9 year old child is kinda...

Good thing Tsukumo didn't blab about the monster attack by a little kid

Tsukumo is fine. Just let her be Juliet. What's the point of this besides to force it to be dramatic...

Ooh, aerial shot

Hi Spanner, guess we can't write you off the series yet

Someone's having fun with explosions at least

Oh shit, they killed off Spanner

Poor Tsukumo, she's going to get so mind wiped

Again, I don't buy that Kudou would be the person Houtarou sees. It's just not really set up that way

What ability is that Majade?

What? He attacked the wrong one? Huh, I don't know if I love this plan, she was faking her death, but she actually did take the hit, so I guess it wasn't fatal? But the whole point is that Houtarou couldn't tell which was the real one, so why did he attack the real one? If he knew that was her, he could have just as easily attacked the actual monster...

Cool squid face on his back

Wait, why does she have the x blade. She didn't use that to fake her death...

That's such a stupid rider kick...

Thanks for explaining the thesis of the episode, Tsukumo

What's Mack in Mackraken? It sounds like they're saying makura/pillow

Tsukumo's actress is pretty fun though, hope she gets some good roles in the future

lol we should have gotten to see some scenes of Osaka and Sabi in their fancy duds

Ahaha, the bit with Spanner and Lakhesis at the end made me laugh though. I do agree that it sounds like a terrible idea. She's basically been good for like two episodes, how can you trust her with your nuclear missile codes already. We didn't even get to see Spanner climb out of the ink

Sorry for being so negative, but Houtarou and Rinne, ironically enough, don't have chemistry. So a storyline of a love triangle where the strongest relationship is probably Houtarou and Tsukumo's, it's just a broken premise that makes me not emotionally invested

It's frustrating because there are elements that do work. Like I like Tsukumo and her actress are pretty good. I like Osaka and Sabi. I even like the weird rivalry between Rinne and a child, but it doesn't quite pay off here. The one highlight was Lakhesis messing with Spanner, and that only works because her actress is great and it's fun to see her fuck with Spanner
TokuGeek1999
IXA
Pronouns: Male

Re: KR Gotchard 31 thread

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

Are Spanner and Lakhesis like Kai and Lord Garmedon?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Pronouns: Toast
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

An encapsulation of why the writing in this is bad:

Kudou's on the ground
Ichinose tells her to get up and fight
She does, but Atropos reminds Kudou that it's her fault Tsukumo got frozen
Kudou ends up on the ground again
Minato arrives out of nowhere to tell Kudou to fight

It's bad enough that Kudou doesn't come to an epiphany on her own, but she needs two different guys to tell her to do the thing that ultimately saves everyone that she could have done the whole time

Edit:

Also, I thought the Romeo and Juliet stuff in the final fight would be Rinne reciting lines from Romeo and Juliet to identify which of them was the Malgam. Not her faking her death to get one surprise hit on the bad guy
Androzani84
Quote: I fear that someday people will cite quotes I never said - Albert Einstein

Post by Androzani84 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:46 pm
lol we should have gotten to see some scenes of Osaka and Sabi in their fancy duds
You’re in luck. They actually filmed a full performance of Romeo in Juliet with the cast for TTFC. And I have a quote from the Simpsons ready for when its thread gets created
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I agree, Houtaro and Rinne have no chemy story. It's not helped by her total lack of emotion most of the time. She's a bit like Koyomi, where she shows so little emotion that whenever she does, it's actually creepy.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Ah, Rinne. Why would you believe anything Atropos says at this point? She's been saying everything's your fault for a couple dozen episodes. I guess if one views Atropos as an allegory of anxiety or depression, it can work--knowing a concern is objectively trivial but feeling emotionally incapacitated nonetheless--but as it, Rinne just comes across as a weak character, despite the whole episode trying to showcase the contrary.

Anyway, Atropos gets to show a bit more emotion now and indeed, she's competent at acting. The three sisters really do seem like the most interesting characters--Atropos' family revelation gives her a much more compelling motivation for opening the gate, Lahkseis' fugitive-turned-condescending-ally arc lets the writing further her unique relationship with Spanner, and Klothos' self-conflict of legitimately wanting her sister back and having to fight her adds some humanity to the previously campy character; all this is really interesting stuff. If things like vast-yet-understandable character arcs, solid motivations, and internal conflict about who and why they're fighting* were used more on the main three, the show may feel entirely different. I'd first thought the sisters were more or less cardboard villains, but they feel more like the main characters at times due to just how much attention and intrigue was put into them.

I'm really curious about the Romeo/Juliet performance, especially Renge and Sabi. Props to the translators for knowing that "wherefore" means "why" rather than "where." It really shouldn't surprise me that the lines themselves sound like modern Japanese--it doesn't even take place in Japan, so translating it like a jidaigeki would be rather pointless.

*To be fair, we did have that part with Minato during the Geryon arc
Last edited by Mxylv on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Mxylv wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 am I'm really curious about the Romeo/Juliet performance, especially Renge and Sabi. Props to the translators for knowing that "wherefore" means "why" rather than "where." It really shouldn't surprise me that the lines themselves sound like modern Japanese--it doesn't even take place in Japan, so translating it like a jidaigeki would be rather pointless.
I mean, we've all probably read Romeo and Juliet for high school. You can figure it out from context clues from there lol
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am
Mxylv wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 am I'm really curious about the Romeo/Juliet performance, especially Renge and Sabi. Props to the translators for knowing that "wherefore" means "why" rather than "where." It really shouldn't surprise me that the lines themselves sound like modern Japanese--it doesn't even take place in Japan, so translating it like a jidaigeki would be rather pointless.
I mean, we've all probably read Romeo and Juliet for high school. You can figure it out from context clues from there lol
I didn't, we did a bit of Macbeth in Y7, that's it. I saw Romeo and Juliet live as a teenager, and I barely understood the Shakespearean language. Couldn't follow it at all.

I understand stuff a bit more now because I'm older and wiser, and because I speak German, and Elizabethan English is basically just German grammar.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

So Mackraken is word play on Kraken and Makkura (Black)? Is that why the Malgam looked like a squid and used black ink?

How many puppets did Atropos used in this? I counted at least ten.

Spanner just walked it off after being smashed into the ground.

Spanner using a spanner to fix his spanner.

And I'm with Spanner, I don't trust Lakhesis yet.

The full version of this Romea and Juilet play, written by Hasegawa Keiichi, is going to be on TTFC. And will have an e-book as well...
https://twitter.com/Gotcha_toei/status/ ... 5395195030
https://twitter.com/dinahasegawa/status ... 6839486543

Have fun girls!

==================
Interesting points on the Production blog:

The structure of the episode was: Defeat Mammoth Malgam at the beginning => A new, more powerful Kraken Malgam appears.
So we had Rinne recover her confidence a little bit at the start, then makes a complete comeback at the climax of the second half.

---
"Brother" was a "combined form" of the alchemy dolls made by Geryon.

(So far) Brother + Chemy Card = Gold Malgam
(This time) Brother x n + Chemy Card = Super Strong Gold Malgam

That's the logic!
---

Speaking of action director Fukuzawa, Majade and Gotchard combination with Exgotchalibur was great. It was like when the Gokaigers were exchanging weapons during the fight, flexible actions when a weapon didn't need to be tied to its owner.

To those who were annoyed that Minato-sensei attentively covered Tsukumo's lap with his cloak, come to the staff room later.
Original Japanese Text
今回の展開上
マンモスマルガムを冒頭で倒す。
→新たな強敵、クラーケンマルガム出現。

という流れを敷かなくてはならなかったため

まず前半で少しりんねが再起し
後半のクライマックスで、完全に再起する!

---
「お兄様」こと、グリオン製の錬金人形たちの
〝集合体〟がもとになっております。

(これまで)
お兄様+ケミーカード=金マルガム!

(今回)
お兄様×n+ケミーカード=超強い金マルガム!!!

という理屈です。
---

そして福沢AC監督といえば
マジェードとガッチャードの見事なコンビ
そしてエクスガッチャリバーの華麗な連携技!
「ゴーカイジャー」のときの武器交換を思わせるような
武器の所有者にこだわらない柔軟な発想ゆえのアクション!!

マントを膝かけにしてあげるミナト先生のやさしさに悶えたそこの貴方、後で職員室に来てください
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Who's complaining besides perverts? lol

I found Geryon's Instagram... and man does that guy have a baby face without facial hair. Again, this guy is married to Haga Yuria/Mari from 555
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well, that was an episode. Last week's episode was not very good, which did not give this one much to build off of. And to be fair, it wasn't terrible, but it succeeds as much as it does in spite of itself. Mostly for the stuff involving Spanner & Co at the end. Pretty much anything involving Ichinose is forgettable.:|

The worst part, by far, is the opening. As Takenoko astutely laid out:
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:13 pm An encapsulation of why the writing in this is bad:

Kudou's on the ground
Ichinose tells her to get up and fight
She does, but Atropos reminds Kudou that it's her fault Tsukumo got frozen
Kudou ends up on the ground again
Minato arrives out of nowhere to tell Kudou to fight

It's bad enough that Kudou doesn't come to an epiphany on her own, but she needs two different guys to tell her to do the thing that ultimately saves everyone that she could have done the whole time
Rinne is down in the dumps because a monster told her off. Which raises the question: why does she care why a little girl trying to destroy the world thinks in the first place?!

It's just not good writing. If she was developing self-doubt after getting repeated earfuls of this from somewhere else - from human characters - then that would be a good setup. But that's not what's happening here. She's immediately pitying herself because the monster says to. Lord knows that villains love driving the stake in further, but in that case it needs much better setup to start with. Otherwise you get this.

Meanwhile, the other issue is that, as most everyone else has noted, Ichinose and Rinne have no chemistry. And that's probably for the best. But it makes the whole love triangle fall flat on its ass.

Otherwise, this episode was more or less by the book. I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the "darkness of Hell" was just a simple illusion with the MOTW. I was expecting something deeper. But eh, what are you going to do?

Alas, poor Yorick Spanner, he gets jobbed once again. He has really been pushed out of the last few episodes. This is the Ichinose and Rinne show for now.

Oh, and so much for the gates to hell staying closed, apparently? All that work in episode 27 has basically just been undone?

Weeks since a new rider form: 4! Another new record!
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:46 pm Oh hey, I guess they're still paying Geryon's actor to appear. Carbuncle?
That was admittedly unexpected. Credit to the writers on that one. Though I guess that means the show isn't done with Geryon yet and we should expect more of him.
Poor Tsukumo, she's going to get so mind wiped
Kay: "On a more personal note Beatrice Tsukumo, Edgar Ichinose ran off with an old girlfriend. You're gonna go stay with your mom a couple nights. You're gonna get over it and decide you're better off."

Jay: "Well, yeah, you know, 'cause 'cause he never appreciated you anyway. In fact, you know what - you kicked HIM out! And now that he's gone you're gonna go into town, you go to Bloomingdale's and find some nice dresses, get yourself some shoes, you know, find somewhere, maybe you can get a facial. And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN."
Wait, why does she have the x blade. She didn't use that to fake her death...
Yeah, I've got nothing there... It's a combat non-sequitur.
The one highlight was Lakhesis messing with Spanner, and that only works because her actress is great and it's fun to see her fuck with Spanner
We really need to compile a list of random TV-N quotes where you can't tell if Takenoko is talking about Kamen Rider or Giga Toku. :shock: :lol:

You aren't wrong, though. Each of the Riders has an evil counterpart/rival with the Sisters, and Lakhesis/Spanner is by far the best. Maybe it's because they're both third-banana characters, but they use their screen time well and have some kind of chemistry. It's unfortunate the pair-up for the main charcter, Gotchard/Klotho, is so haphazard in comparison. But it sounds like the next episode is going to deal with that...
Mxylv wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 am The three sisters really do seem like the most interesting characters--Atropos' family revelation gives her a much more compelling motivation for opening the gate, Lahkseis' fugitive-turned-condescending-ally arc lets the writing further her unique relationship with Spanner, and Klothos' self-conflict of legitimately wanting her sister back and having to fight her adds some humanity to the previously campy character; all this is really interesting stuff. If things like vast-yet-understandable character arcs, solid motivations, and internal conflict about who and why they're fighting* were used more on the main three, the show may feel entirely different. I'd first thought the sisters were more or less cardboard villains, but they feel more like the main characters at times due to just how much attention and intrigue was put into them.
Right? Ichinose is such the all-loving hero that his characterization fits in two paragraphs. The Sisters have much more depth to them, and it's not just because the writers are choosing to focus on them right now.
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I really have to wonder how much the actors influence the script writers. Like, do they intentionally add in extra stuff if they see an actor can handle it? Do they keep it simple if they think the actor can't? It would explain why the Sisters get such nice juicy stuff while Houtarou and Rinne are playing a rousing game of "who has the most cliche dialogue"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean Lakhesis has a Valvarusher now. Was that planned originally? Who knows!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So, at the beginning of the show Tuxedo Minato appears and gives Sailor Rinne a pep talk to bring her out of her funk.

As for all the comments about Rinne being manipulated by Apothos, I am pretty sure there is going to be a huge plot revelation in the endgame of the series that explains the link between Rinne and Apothos.

As for Lakhesis getting a weapon from the baby faces, it's called "pretty privilege". If Lakhesis was an ugly monster she wouldn't get the weapon.

So, with the weapon swapping, now Rinne and Houtarou are "comrades" like on Gokaiger? I can see Renge and Sabimaru as Luka and Don.

Will Klotho come in from the cold in the next arc?

Spanner and Lakhesis have a hundred times more chemxstory than Rinne and Houtarou.

This was an actually well done Sailor Moon episode 100%.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Androzani84 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:12 am You’re in luck. They actually filmed a full performance of Romeo in Juliet with the cast for TTFC. And I have a quote from the Simpsons ready for when its thread gets created
Not spoiler
"Romeo in Juliet"

Blunt
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar