My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 35 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 3 of 5 stars (7 votes)

What's going on here. Why are they greenscreening for the restaurant? Or am I going crazy?

Oh no. Betrayed by a guy that's been your friend for like an episode and a half! The drama!

I sorta noticed but forgot to look it up. Is one of the doom voice-only diamonds deneb?

Houtarou's actor really only has one mode doesn't he?

Oh hey, we get to use this actor another episode

Wait. Stop. Explain the story. Why is Kaguya attacking Houtarou. Why is Gigist helping Handred destroy the world? Don't just give me dumb Snyder fight scenes with no story to back it up

Wait, what were they doing for five hours?

Where did he set up his bath lol

We're down to the last 54 minutes? What exactly were they doing during all these long stretches of time? Taking t he bus? Riding on the train?

They've been running for 14 minutes? How far away were they to start lol

Again, why is Legend a thing. Was Mr. Decade busy?

What? He used 3 level ten's to... dispel an attack?

Lol, the Zero-One sequence is like if they wanted to bring one of those bad Rider game fights to real life

Nitpick, but why does Legend need to turn into Zi-O to borrow other Riders' powers

Oh, they're back in their fancy clothes

Oh hey, Gotchard Fire. Your'e still alive?

Finally, the new arc of Gotchard starts. Let's get back to the Gotchard characters
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: KR Gotchard 35 thread

Post by Mxylv »

The pros:
-I was near-certain that Legend's betrayal would turn out to be an honorable "pretending to be your enemy's the only way to save you"/"this way you'll be less sad about my sacrifice" moment, given how Gary Stu-y the previous episodes had portrayed him, but they actually let Kaguya be a flawed character. Again, I think the hard-to-work-with egoist is a nice break from the angsty-lancer archetype; we don't get to see it nearly as often.
-The malgum fusion design was excellent, and the grotesque suit design probably worked as a better Zi-O reference than the actual Zi-O suit use. Nostalgia is hard to complain about if it's subtle.

The cons:
-There was clearly an effort to work the plot into this side story, but at the end of the day it comes across as just that. I don't blame the writer for this, though, as it really smells like executive meddling at its finest.
-The story wasn't quite up to snuff, though I've mentioned that previously.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Rinne covering for Butler at the start is the most entertaining thing she's done for the whole show.

I am so glad this is over. We can finally get back to the actual plot now.

Also, didn't we just use Zero-Two the other week? At least mix up which Final Forms you use, mate.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

One of the Handrad boss diamond was voiced by Nakano Taisuke, a voice veeeey similar to Ootsuka Houchuu (Deneb). Even the Japanese thinks so too: https://dic.pixiv.net/a/%E4%B8%AD%E9%87 ... BD%91#h2_1

I just realized the Handrad commander had been saying Onore Legend a lot. Probably referencing to the Onore Decade meme.

For an organization that had supposed to wreck havoc across many worlds, the Handrad sure felt even less of a threat than the average MOTW after all their Riders died in the second crossover episode.

Disrespecting Gaim's Kachidoki Arms flags like that, they're two huge sticks to hit people with! Why use the Genesis Driver bow and not summon Gaim though? They used the Gaim's suit a few months back in the special so it should still functional.

Movie tie-in at the end. Ugh, does that mean Legend is going to be in the summer movie too.

==============
Productiom blog
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/36/

Houtarou exchanged contact information with Kaguya.
It's a bit of a bummer though. In the script, it was originally written as Houtarou and Kaguya became "penpals". But because today's kids will never understand what were penpals, it was changed to "exchanging contact information".

カグヤと連絡先を交換した宝太郎。
蛇足ですが、脚本では元々宝太郎とカグヤが「メル友」になったというワードが使用されており、
今のキッズたちに「メル友」は絶対通じないだろうということで
無難な「連絡先」に言い換えされました。
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

>I just realized the Handrad commander had been saying Onore Legend a lot. Probably referencing to the Onore Decade meme.

Oh yeah, I noticed that too, but I guess his scrapped catchphrase threw me off lol
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:59 pm Again, why is Legend a thing. Was Mr. Decade busy?
Supposedly, Masahiro Inoue was done as Decade after Zi-O (which might have included the Zi-O/Decade specials when he said that) and just came back to dub dialogue for Legend's origin story.

Whether that factored into the decision to have a Twokaizer version of Decade or not, the bottom line is that was a new Rider to release toys for and make more use of the Legend Rider Chemy cards without making too many Legend Rider combo suits for Gotchard.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

> Twokaizer version of Decade

At least Twokaiser is entertaining. This guy's just annoying. Give me Mr Yo Ho Hoy and his family any day over this guy.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

takenoko wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:59 pm Wait, what were they doing for five hours?

We're down to the last 54 minutes? What exactly were they doing during all these long stretches of time? Taking t he bus? Riding on the train?

They've been running for 14 minutes? How far away were they to start lol
So much this, SO. MUCH. THIS.

Whoever wrote this episode just has no sense of time.

I hope this arc is actually over and it's not just them coming back with the other Gotchard next week. There just is not enough time to have this kind of character development with Legend, everything feels forced. To me he is still a jerk who has yet to redeem himself.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

The writing is so bad, that they literally reset the relationship at the start of each episode just to create drama. Even soap operas aren't this swingy! "We can't just tell a story. Let's just have Houtarou and Kaguya fight for no reason for each episode of the arc"
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

And Legend is finally done. Thank gorgeous goodness.

It's not that it was a terrible episode by any means. But this entire arc has failed to give me a reason to care about it; it's basically one big side-show to promote someone who wasn't the main character.

Also, why is it they never had to attack the doomsday clock itself? It's a bit of a Chekhov's Bomb situation; I'm expecting it to either explode, or see the heroes defuse it.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:59 pm What's going on here. Why are they greenscreening for the restaurant? Or am I going crazy?
It doesn't seem green screened to me.
Houtarou's actor really only has one mode doesn't he?
He really does. Between this and the HBV video, he really doesn't come off as having much range, unfortunately.
Lol, the Zero-One sequence is like if they wanted to bring one of those bad Rider game fights to real life
And I do love me some Zero-One. But I have no idea why they broke out three different forms of it.
Oh hey, Gotchard Fire. Your'e still alive?
Isn't that Gotchard Daybreak, aka Bad Future Houtarou? I thought Gotchard Fire was Houtarou prime's upgrade?
Finally, the new arc of Gotchard starts. Let's get back to the Gotchard characters
Yes please!
Mxylv wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 am I was near-certain that Legend's betrayal would turn out to be an honorable "pretending to be your enemy's the only way to save you"/"this way you'll be less sad about my sacrifice" moment, given how Gary Stu-y the previous episodes had portrayed him, but they actually let Kaguya be a flawed character. Again, I think the hard-to-work-with egoist is a nice break from the angsty-lancer archetype; we don't get to see it nearly as often.
This is true. At least Toei didn't rely on what's already their single most used trope for why the Riders are suddenly fighting. Though I'm not sure this is much of a departure from the lancer type; he's still doing it because he wants to be a loner.
Yaiba wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:28 am I just realized the Handrad commander had been saying Onore Legend a lot. Probably referencing to the Onore Decade meme.
Oh, yeah. That was especially obvious with the MOTW's final line. Unfortunately, it just doesn't hit the same coming from a different character to a different character.
Movie tie-in at the end. Ugh, does that mean Legend is going to be in the summer movie too.
Wait. What's the movie tie-in?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

>> Also, why is it they never had to attack the doomsday clock itself? It's a bit of a Chekhov's Bomb situation; I'm expecting it to either explode, or see the heroes defuse it.

They did. They rider-kicked Arc-One into the clock, though it's a blink-and-you'll-miss it situation.

>> Wait. What's the movie tie-in?
Spoiler
Gotchard Daybreak
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Yaiba wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:35 am >> Also, why is it they never had to attack the doomsday clock itself? It's a bit of a Chekhov's Bomb situation; I'm expecting it to either explode, or see the heroes defuse it.

They did. They rider-kicked Arc-One into the clock, though it's a blink-and-you'll-miss it situation.
Oh! That's what that was! I didn't recognize it from the side profile. :shock:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You too can gorgeously collect these legendary gorgeous cards in a legendary case of legendary proportions and it will be a gorgeous dent in your legendary wallet at a mere 6930 gorgeous yen.

FFS P-Bandai, this is worth MAYBE 20 bucks
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

The real adventure was the blatant moichandising we did along the way.

Though the fact that they're only charging ~$45 for it is admittedly less than I would have expected from Bandai.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 am He really does. Between this and the HBV video, he really doesn't come off as having much range, unfortunately.
I maintain that the only one in this show capable of acting is the 9 year old playing Atropos.
Seen:

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”