My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 37 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.33 of 5 stars (6 votes)

lol, bringing in skebows like this is ER. So silly

I was just joking about Skebows dying last week, but I guess it's true?

Chekov's spice

I wonder who will die before this series ends. I'm thinking all the good guys live. Guessing the sisters die. Maybe Atropos will get turned into a normal girl

No one's noticing this giant locust hopping around

Look, this is a sad boy. Can't you see how sad he is?

What if grown up orange Gotchard becomes his own dad. He's just passing the goggles on to himself

Thank goodness mom didn't get charged with criminal activity. i don't know how they'd do Houtarou's emotional moments without this character

No one stepped on the stegosaurus toy, disappointing

Can't you use your awesome alchemist powers to pick up the mail? But yeah, glad tos ee the wonder twins doing stuff

Rinne, you can't make every battle one where you have to learn to have confidence. At some point you should be a pro at this already...

The truth about Houtarou is finally revealed. I guess he's more than just a special boy after all. Pretty funny seeing Klotho moving aroudn to bow to Gigist

Nice job handling it yourselves, Rinne and company. (Where's Spanner?)

Oh nice fake out. They should have gotten Amemiya to design Hopper Malgam. Just make him a twisted rider

I wonder what Lakhesis is up to

Something clunky about the way hopper falls to his knees

Be sure to buy the white Chemy Card versions too

Oh, he turned into an egg. I mean, I g uess?

Dramatic rain! It's not exactly the drama of Yuka dying in 555 , is it?

The upbeat opening playing at the end of that preview and into the sponsor is so tonally jarring
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: KR Gotchard 37 thread

Post by Mxylv »

By and large, I think the direction succeeded at picking up whatever was lacking in the writing. That's not to say I blame the writer, though--the execution is about as good as it can be, but getting the audience to mourn a plastic grasshopper while our protagonist turns into an egg is going to be a hard sell no matter what. On the bright side, we get more same-side conflict; Atropos had perhaps the least interesting content to work with among the sisters, but her displeasure at the king could fuel some future intrigue.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, building a house out of poop because that was all you had does feel like an apt analogy for this episode. What am I supposed to do as a viewer? Really get emotionally invested in a plastic toy that should have been a CGI cartoon or something that could emote? Leads that can't act? At the same time, all the interesting side characters are off to the side or just missing. Now we have to use these pieces to build an emotional arc that leads to a power-up, and... I'm just not emotionally invested

The model for doing this correctly is right there in Pokemon. Maybe if we got to know Antrooper or Skebows the way we knew Meowth or Psyduck even, people would care as viewers. But for a series that goes "The cards are people too" they really don't do a lot to humanize them? Maybe if it were Wrestler G or that the cactus the boy liked, it would have made some emotional sense, storytellingwise
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

I mean I do not so much care for skebows or antrooper so much as I care for Hotaro who cares for them, so it kinda works out that way.

And Hopper1 never did anything wrong, he didn't deserve this.

Idk, call me a freak for liking animals I guess.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

I know I shouldn't laugh, but them rushing Skebow through the corridor like paramedics rushing to the ER was morbidly funny.

Spanner was limping. He was still recovering from Gigist's attack last week. It's the first time in this show that a serious injury lasted more than one episode. Minato's hand got impaled, Spanner beat Minato to the brink of death, Spanner got smashed into the ground, and they all just basically just walked it off and be fine next episode.

Spanner being the sempai he is, took the blame of killing the Chemys so the others won't feel sad of having to do it.

I don't really feel for Skebow or AntTrooper, but I do feel bad of our boy Hopper1.

============
Production Blog (Spoiler Warning: Blog contains spoiler images)
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/38/

About the dark tone of this episode
What does it means to fight?
What does it means to finish off an enemy?
These matters are cleverly hidden due to its nature as a children show.
In other words, just defeat the enemies in an excitingly every week.

Hiding behind the card sealing mechanic, Gotchard has been a bright and fun show so far.
And we will return to this stance in the future.

But we had to do it this time.
This show carries the title of "Kamen Rider", and Gatchard's theme is interacting with different things. If interacting with Chemys in a cheerful and fun way is interaction, then why is fighting against the dark and ugly Malgam not an interaction? We worked hard to create the former interactions, so we needed to address the later as well.

Violence is not good.
However, it's disrespectful to Houtarou to blindsight him from that. He has been taking Chemy seriously so far. He cannot take them for granted. He needs to rise up from the heavy rain of tears.

Gotchard has been taking heat for not acting like a Kamen Rider show, for only having one(?) Kamen Rider Characteristic: Good and evil power having the same origin. So we'll use this as a trail for Houtarou.

With the power of the "egg" inside him, Houtarou shut himself up in the shell of sadness.
"Eggs" are an important motif in alchemy. For more information, please search for something called the "Philosopher's egg"
(It's why the Alchemy Academy mark has been shaped like an egg.)

The first trial given to Houtarou was when Sabimaru was forced to become Dread.
It is the ordeal of cruelly facing the violence and fear of others.

But this time, the final test to reach the final form wass the exact opposite.
He had to face his own violent nature. How do you face his inner fear?
In the end, what you have to overcome was yourself.

About Hopper1 Malgam
Producer Minato Yosuke gave an order, "This is the final power up, so I want this episode to hit hard."
Scriptwriter Inoue Akiko suggested that wouldn't it be the most despairing thing for Houtarou to have to destroy Chemy with his own hands? Saving the parent and the kid was an important scene, because Houtarou was a hero who lived not for himself but for others. It was a trial for him who was "caught between being a hero".

But it was not Inoue's idea to turn Hopper1 into a Malgam.

During early production in episode 3 or 4, assistant producer Matsuura Daigo asked writer Hasegawa Keiichi, “If we have the Malgam system, Hopper1 needs to turn into a monster at some point?" Since then, Hasegawa had slowly warmed up to the idea. Six months later, when Inoue suggested the trial, Matsuura submitted the idea.

Hopper1 Malgam was of course voiced by Hopper1's voice actor, Fukuen Misato. Before recording for this episode, Fukuen-san was interviewed by the Uchusen magazine.
In response to the question "What do you hope for the future of Hopper 1?"
She replied, "I don't want him to fall into darkness."
(Fukuen-san didn't know about this episode's development at the time of the interview!)

Iron Gotchard was used to take down Hopper Malgam. SteamLiner, being Hopper1's friend, the staff considered a scene for which it mourns Hopper1. In the end they decided not to include it for consideration.

Hopper1's great adventure
It was brought forth by Toei special effects team. They use an in-house special "Make puppets look alive while filming" technique: Piano wires!

The staff left the Hopper1 puppet with the dog's owner, Shimozono Ayumi (Majade's suit actor), for a few days in advance so the dog will get used to it during filming.

Houtarou's backpack was designed in a way so the the director can stick his hand into the bag to control Hopper1.

Others
By the way, in the last episode where Chemy's origin was revealed, the viewers will get bored if Gigist just gave a long explanation, so super director Tasaki Ryuta give him a cool performance.
Original Japanese Text
戦うということはどういうことか。
必殺技を決めるとはどういうことなのか。
その性質上
子ども向け特撮番組において
これらの事柄は巧妙に隠ぺいされ続けてきました。

つまり
「毎週爽快に敵をブッ倒して欲しい」
ということは、一体どういうことなのか?
「クウガ」がその目隠しを暴いてしまって以降
特に平成初期ライダーシリーズが描いてきたこの「暴力性」に

これまでの「ガッチャード」では
明るい劇をストレートに楽しんでいただくためのノイズ除去として
「カードに封印」という隠れ蓑を使い
そこから意図的に、目をそらしてきました。

おそらく
今後の「ガッチャード」も、基本はそのようなスタンスで進んでいくつもりです。
(こんなにやるのは今週だけ! 毎回こんなに暗いとかなわん!

しかし今回だけは、そこに一度待ったをかけなくてはならなかった。
この番組が「仮面ライダー」の冠を背負っているから。
そして「ガッチャード」は「異なるものとの交流」をテーマにしているから。
ふだんケミーと明るく楽しく触れ合うことが「交流」なら
暗き醜きマルガムと闘うことは、どうして「交流」ではないのでしょう。
前者を一生懸命やってきたからこそ
後者をないがしろにしたら、これまでの努力がウソになってしまう。

誤解無きよう付け足しておきますと
ここで「暴力はよくない」みたいな
月並みなことを言う気は全くありません。
ただ、そこを誤魔化すのは宝太郎に対して失礼かなと。
ここまでケミーに真剣に向き合ってきてくれた分
目隠しのままでいいなんて、それこそ彼を舐めています。
たとえひどい涙の雨の中からでも
彼はそこから立ち上がれる人間のはず。

だからこそ
「仮面ライダー」っぽくないと随所で揶揄されてきた「ガッチャード」が持つ
唯一(?)にして最大の「仮面ライダー性」=「善悪同源の怪人」を用いて
今回の宝太郎への試練とさせていただきました。

自分の中の「卵」の力で悲しみの殻に閉じこもってしまった宝太郎
実は錬金術において「卵」というのは重要なモチーフでして
詳しくは「哲学の卵」と呼ばれるものをご検索いただきたいのですが……
(だから最初から、錬金アカデミーのマークも卵のような形をしています)

思えば宝太郎に与えられた「最初の試練」は
錆丸先輩が無理やりドレッドにされたときでしょう。
それは他者による暴力と恐怖に残虐なまでに曝されるという試練。

しかし今回
最終フォームになるための「最後の試練」はその真反対。
向き合わなければいけないのは自分自身の暴力性。
内なる恐怖にどう立ち向かうか。
乗り越えなければならないのは
最後はそう、自分自身しかあり得ないのです。

====

今回は言わずもがなこの親子が欠かせない大切なピース。
なぜなら宝太郎は自分のためでなく「誰かのために」
ヒーローをやらなければいけなかったから。
これは脚本の井上亜樹子さんがご提案された
「ヒーロー性との板挟み」という宝太郎への〝試練〟でした。

そもそも今回の展開は
「次が最終パワーアップなので、この回は〝落とす〟回にしたいです」
という湊Pからのオーダーを受け
肝要の「ホッパー1を怪人にしよう」と言い出したのは井上さんではございません。
井上さんはあくまでも
「宝太郎が自分の手でケミーを滅ぼさないといけないのが一番の絶望では?」
という旨の提案をされただけです! それだけですから!!

そんなホッパー1マルガムの声はもちろん我らが福圓美里さんご本人。
ちなみに福圓さん
この35話の収録直前に行われた「宇宙船」さんのインタビューで
「今後のホッパー1についてなにか希望はありますか?」という質問に
「闇堕ちはして欲しくないですね」と答えていたとか……。
(インタビュー時には福圓さんはこの展開知らなかったんでしょ!)

本当はスチームライナーが友達として
ホッパーを弔うべく覚悟を決めるというくだりなども入れてあげたかったのですが
考慮の上これは描かないことに(でも多分そういうことだと思います!)

====

これまで東映特撮チームが培ってきた
「お人形を生きているように撮ってみせる」技法、まさに「特撮」を駆使するとき!
スタッフ皆様のすさまじきノウハウで成立した
ホッパー1の大冒険です!!
ピアノ線でくくりつけたホッパー1を
操演部のベテランスタッフさんがかわいらしく跳ねさせたり!

撮影本番、ワンちゃんが怖がらないように
事前に飼い主さんのところにホッパー1を預けて2~3日慣れ親しんでもらったり!
(ちなみにその「飼い主」とは、お犬さんが出てくるとお馴染み、マジェードスーツアクターの下園愛弓さんでした。下園さん、いつもありがとうございます!)

下方から手を突っ込めるような仕掛けカバンにより
監督みずからホッパー1に命を吹き込んだり!

前回、今回と演出をご担当されたのは田﨑竜太監督。
前回36話のケミーの起源が明かされるくだり
「ギギスト様が長ったらしく説明しているだけと視聴者が飽きちゃうので、イカした演出で間を持たせてください!」と、生意気言う若造(これ書いるヤツ)に
キレキレの演出でしっかり応えてくださるスーパーな演出家。(本当にありがとうございました……!)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>With the power of the "egg" inside him, Houtarou shut himself up in the shell of sadness.
"Eggs" are an important motif in alchemy. For more information, please search for something called the "Philosopher's egg"

Is it? I thought it was the weird triangle thing they have

>The staff left the Hopper1 puppet with the dog's owner, Shimozono Ayumi (Majade's suit actor), for a few days in advance so the dog will get used to it during filming.

Oh is that Ayumi's dog again? We'll need to start giving him a credit if he keeps showing up
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:22 am >With the power of the "egg" inside him, Houtarou shut himself up in the shell of sadness.

Is it? I thought it was the weird triangle thing they have
There's an egg underneath the hand/wing triangle thing and the bunsen burner

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've heard of the philosopher's stone, but not he philosopher's egg. Sounds like the ultimate panacea

Anyway, another thing I've never noticed before is the logo has Au in the center, since alchemists were obsessed with making gold
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

So much detail in one logo
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I guess they thought "Which anime have we not ripped off yet?" and the came up with Shugo Chara.

Maybe the way that they will bring back the dead chemys is to transform them into eggs. I know there is some way to make promotional tie in toys for this but I am drawing a blank.

Maybe Lakhesis and Geryon will just suddenly appear in BoonBoomger as a pro wrestling style invasion angle?

So, will Houtarou be more of a one note character after his trial by Blue Screen Of Death?

Was Houtarou's drawing of his dad a clue?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh man, I haven't thought of Shugo Chara in years. That anime was so cute

Edit; I was actuyally thinking of Mamotte Shugogetten. But I did read some Shugo Chara manga
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I find myself in between Takenoko and Mxylv on this episode. While I don't agree that the direction fully made up for the weak writing, I do agree that the crew clearly did everything they could to spin gold from Gotchard's messy plot. It is an above-average episode in terms of directing, and even the fight scenes are pretty good.

But at the end of the day, the success of this episode does hinge on me caring about an inanimate plastic grasshopper (and an even less physical ant-thingy). And the lack of emoting here is a critical weakness. Though props to the VA for giving it her all in trying to bring a plastic toy to life.

In terms of the fight scenes, we strangely get more stunt fighting with Houtarou's actor here than we did at any other point in the series. It's mostly Houtarou getting the shit beat out of him, but that's still well above par. I guess he can't really pretend to fight very well, but he's an ace at pretending to take a beating?

Meanwhile, Klotho's actress is also switching things up with her subservience to Gigist. Being the combat monster, her character is normally the aggressive one that's starting a fight or just otherwise being over-the-top evil (eyes bugging out and all). Between the last episode and this, she's showing a very different side by showing some concern for Houtarou and having to show loyalty to Gigist. So it's good to see the actress has more range. Though plot wise, there's no getting around the fact that it's a very sudden change in her character.

And Houtarou's dad looks like Daybreak Gotchard? Huh? :shock: It's not that it's even a good twist, it's just adding another layer to the mess that is his backstory thus far. It's telling that at 37 episodes in, we're only now getting something of a coherent backstory for him.

Also, I'm basing this off of all of 5 seconds of footage, but that new Gotchard form looks awful. None of Gotchard's main forms have been all that good (ironically, Daybreak may be the best), but those rainbow shoulder pads are ridiculously large.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:25 pm I wonder who will die before this series ends. I'm thinking all the good guys live. Guessing the sisters die. Maybe Atropos will get turned into a normal girl
I could flip a coin on the adults. But there's no way Toei is killing a 9 year old. (But then Spanner would be very sad if Lakhesis were dead)
What if grown up orange Gotchard becomes his own dad. He's just passing the goggles on to himself
Worse. What if the Daybreak-colored chemy inside of him is his dad? :shock:
Oh, he turned into an egg. I mean, I guess?
It's a very strong methaphor for his heroic BSOD, at least. He's literally shut out from the rest of the world right now.
Mxylv wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:06 am On the bright side, we get more same-side conflict; Atropos had perhaps the least interesting content to work with among the sisters, but her displeasure at the king could fuel some future intrigue.
Indeed. Gigist is quickly making enemies of the sisters, and Atropos is the most dangerous over the long run.
Yaiba wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:51 am I know I shouldn't laugh, but them rushing Skebow through the corridor like paramedics rushing to the ER was morbidly funny.
No, I'm right there with you. It's a skateboard wearing shades. It's simply not possible to take it seriously. :lol:
Spanner being the sempai he is, took the blame of killing the Chemys so the others won't feel sad of having to do it.
That is a good bit of characterization there. It serves a very practical purpose (Hou can have his BSOD until later), but it also reinforces the kind of person that Spanner is. He'll bear that sin.
Houtarou's backpack was designed in a way so the the director can stick his hand into the bag to control Hopper1.
Ahh, the ole' Howard Handupme technique. :lol:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>In terms of the fight scenes, we strangely get more stunt fighting with Houtarou's actor here than we did at any other point in the series. It's mostly Houtarou getting the shit beat out of him, but that's still well above par. I guess he can't really pretend to fight very well, but he's an ace at pretending to take a beating?

Oh, I didn't even notice that. Good for that guy

>Between the last episode and this, she's showing a very different side by showing some concern for Houtarou and having to show loyalty to Gigist. So it's good to see the actress has more range. Though plot wise, there's no getting around the fact that it's a very sudden change in her character.

I don't know if it's that sudden. She is the first person to fight Gotchard, and they did have a bonding episode together during the Legend arc. Besides Lakhesis, Houtarou's probably the only other person to ever show her kindness

>And Houtarou's dad looks like Daybreak Gotchard? Huh? :shock: It's not that it's even a good twist, it's just adding another layer to the mess that is his backstory thus far. It's telling that at 37 episodes in, we're only now getting something of a coherent backstory for him

Well, either dad is the Daybreak Alchemist from 100 years ago, or some time traveling is going to happen, more so than it already has

>Also, I'm basing this off of all of 5 seconds of footage, but that new Gotchard form looks awful. None of Gotchard's main forms have been all that good (ironically, Daybreak may be the best), but those rainbow shoulder pads are ridiculously large.

My knee jerk reaction is also the same, but sometimes things grow on me when I see them in motion

>(But then Spanner would be very sad if Lakhesis were dead)

Spanner is kind of doomed with the sad boy role, so that might be fitting

>What if grown up orange Gotchard becomes his own dad. He's just passing the goggles on to himself[/quote]Worse. What if the Daybreak-colored chemy inside of him is his dad? :shock:

Interesting. Houtarou being a half Chemy hybrid would be a neat twist
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

This is Hopper1's voice actor, Fukuen Misato's tweet about Hopper Malgam.
https://x.com/misa0110/status/1794571872887328856
===================

Hopper-san had... turned into a Malgam 😢

When I was doing an interview with Uchusen, I didn't know about it so I answered cheerfully. "I don't want him to fall into darkness!"

But Toei's Harashima-san, who was also present, said "I gave you the latest script just now... I'm sorry."

I realized the truth at that moment. The timing was just perfect.

It was Director Tasaki who added the nasty touch of Hopper1 calling Houtarou in his cute Hoppa voice right after he was defeated.
H-how awful...

Hoppaho, don't give up!
Make sure to watch next week!

---
ホパさんが…マルガム化してしまいました😢

宇宙船の取材の時は何も知らなかったので「闇堕ちしたくないです!」と元気に答えたのですが、立ち会ってくださっていた東映の原島さんに「つい先程お渡しした新しい台本…ごめんなさい」と言われ全てを察知しました
タイミングが良すぎました

HP後書きにもありますが、倒されてしまう直前にかわいいホパの声で宝太郎を呼ぶというエグ演出をつけたのは田崎監督です
ひ、ひど…

ほーぱほー、負けないで
来週も絶対みてね

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”