My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Boonboomger 15 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.44 out of 5 (9 votes)

Team Rocket in disguise is pretty good for a 5 second visual joke

Nice of Mira to not feel obligated to wear her ranger color

Wow, this woman is smaller than Mira

Genba is too omniscient. Jou, you're a member of the team, explain to your teammates what's going on

Wow, this team talks to each other. Gives this team a thumbs up for not being a team of idiots

How'd the bad guys find this remote garage? If they're this good, can't they find Taiya's giant mansion?

Why are the seaters wearing an anti dinosaur badge? It's a neat design, but why?

Wait, is Monster a dinosaur?

Wait, do the Three Seaters eat? I guess even BoonBoom eats...

Have we seen Jou in this particular uniform before? I like it, but also, anything to get him out of those hideous suspenders

Given how pretty the curator was, did anyone else think she'd go on a date with Jou or something to cheer him up? Appreciate that they ended the episode on kind of a bittersweet note

As far as ranger befriends the motw stories go, that was alright. Not the best I've seen, but not as terrible as Houtarou putting down Hopper1 either. Felt like they took the appropriate time to linger on an emotion and to let the feelings sink in. The friendship wsa a bit accelerated, but there's only so much you can do in a 23 minute long episode

Purple and gold? I think a mr kaixa would like to have words for you
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Boonboomger 15 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

RIP Kitarou. Even in a show with no dinosaur mecha (yet) we still managed to get a dinosaur episode.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Befriending monster episodes are always kinda risky.

I can't really say that it was handled particularly well... Nor was it handled particularly poorly.

It was kinda so so.

I think that's my feeling on it all? It was inoffensive, but it also didn't really try to go places with it either.

The fact that the episode kinda... ended... After Black did what needed to be done... Was kinda gutsy, I'll give them that.

It's just that, monsters in tokusatsu clearly do not benefit from the same regard for life in fiction that humans do, which is something that not necessarily bugs me, but I keep noticing it.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

I genuinely feel sad about Kitarou. This proves that you can build an emotional story around a one-liner character whom the hero inevitably have to kill off, and you can do it within a single episode, instead of having eight months and still had it fall flat.

It's bittersweet showing the kid looking forward to the exhibition at the end. The others silently came to check up on Jou. To provide support, sometimes you just need to be there and don't need to say anything.

The episode title is Jou and Key. Jou (Lock) and Key (Kitarou). Jou and Kitarou. Lock and Key. Damn these puns.

Lol the kid pointed Mira to a peacock, subtly acknowledging the theory that birds were evolved from dinosaurs.

==============
Production blog
https://www.toei.co.jp/entertainment/tv ... _3963.html

Did you cry? Those we forgot to bring a handkerchief, are you okay?

Jou was always cheerful, fun, and lively, but this time it was a story about him reaffirming his role as a police officer. The script was written by Hiroshi Yamaguchi, who was in charge of Boom Black's debut (Ep 5). During the script meeting he was smiling and said, "I want to see Joe struggle but get back on his feet in the end." He like this character so much and put his heart into writing to portray Joe in a very bittersweet and vivid story.

The dinosaur fossil that was turned into a Kurumajyu was a "simiasaurus". The contents of the documents that fell on the floor had been carefully crafted. You can't see a lot on screen, but the props team made it a point to pay special attention.

It's typical of Joe to prepare a variety of food. At this scene, suit actor Muraoka responded, "I hate fish...", which caused everyone on set to laugh. Voice actor Asari also made it sounded a little grumpy, did you notice?

Ishirou, Mira, and Bunbun all look worried about Taiya's decision, but Taiya says nothing.
He lives by the motto "Do what you want." He is someone who respects the will of others to the greatest extent. Respecting Jou's wish to not defeat it, Taiya decided to wait and see how things would turn out.

Joe let out an depressing roar as he faced a situation that he can no longer resolve on his own. Actor Saito struggled to express the emotion in this scene, so Director Hayama added the touch of "slamming his hands on the ground."

Kitaro quietly turned back into a fossil.
The dubbing of this scene was quite tense. Saito-san concentrated so hard and recorded his voice while crying, making it a very heartbreaking scene. In fact, Matsumoto Rika, who plays Boonboom, was also holding back tears while recording her voice, saying, "This is not the time for Boonboom to be crying!"

When the Three Seaters dressed up as workers, each one had a name tag. They may not be very visible in the scenes. They were devised from their monsters' name and then written as kanji.
Decotrade: Mitsushita Toranosuke
Itasha: Mitsushita Itako
Yaruka: Mitsushita Yaruka
Japanese Text
もうね、涙無しには観られないですよこの回は。
ハンカチのご用意を忘れたみなさん、大丈夫でしたか?

いつも、明るく楽しくわいわいガヤガヤやってる錠ですが、今回は「警察官として」の自分のあり方を再確認する物語でした。
脚本は、錠の初チェンジ(バクアゲ5)を担当してくださった山口宏さん。
打ち合わせでもニコニコしながら「苦悩するけど最後には立ち上がる錠を見たい」と錠愛満タンで書き進めてくださり、こんな錠が見たい!!を切なく濃厚に描いてくださいました。

苦魔獣にされたのは、「シーミアサウルス」という恐竜の化石。
ちなみに書類の内容、バッチリ丁寧に作られています。
画面には映りませんが、小道具さんのこだわりポイントですね。

ちゃんと本人の好みも考えて、食べ物を色々用意してくれるところ、さすがの錠!!
実はここ、スーツアクターの村岡さんが「サカナキライ…」と言って現場では笑いが起きていたそう。
実はそれに合わせてCVの浅利さんも少し不機嫌な声を出しているのですが、気付きましたか?

射士郎、ミラ、そしてブンブンも不安な表情を見せますが、大也は何も言いません。
「自分がやりたいようにやる」をモットーに生きている彼は、同様に他人の意志を最大限尊重する人間…というのは、もうみなさまご存知かと思います。
錠の「こいつを倒したくない」という意志を尊重し、一旦様子を見ることにしました。

もう自分の力ではどうすることもできない事態に、言葉にならない咆哮をあげる錠。
ここの場面、感情を出す芝居に悩んだ齋藤さんに対し、葉山監督は「手を叩きつける」という演出を追加しました。
バクアゲ5でも拳を震わすカットがありましたが、ここも錠らしい場面だなあと感じます。

キー太郎は静かに化石に戻っていったのでした。
ここの場面のアフレコはかなり緊張感がありました。
齋藤さんも高い集中力を持って、涙を流しながら声を入れてくださり、切ない場面となりました。
実はブンブンの松本梨香さんも、「ブンブンが泣いてる場合じゃない!」と涙を堪えながら声を入れてくださっていた…というのはここだけの話です。

サンシーターが作業員に扮しているとき、それぞれ名札が付いていたんです。
デコトラーデ:三下 寅之助(みつした とらのすけ)
イターシャ:三下 痛子(みつした いたこ)
ヤルカー:三下 矢留加(みつした やるか)
こちら、企画者104さんの松井さん、神内さん原案のお名前です。
本編ではほとんど見えていなかったかもしれませんが、バクアゲおかわりして見つけてみてくださいね!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Wouldn't their last name be Sanshita?

Preview talk:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E5%A ... #jn-100714
So shimatsuya in modern times is a term for a stingy person. But in olden times, he's the guy who collected money from deadbeats that didn't pay at the brothel. So hear me out. Let me use the phrase Boom Violet the Pimp
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

デコトラーデ:三下 寅之助(みつした とらのすけ)
イターシャ:三下 痛子(みつした いたこ)
ヤルカー:三下 矢留加(みつした やるか)

Yeah, 三下 can be read as Sanshita, but they specify it to be read as Mitsushita. They love their word play.

And I just realize they were cosplaying as Ghost Buster for their dino hunt, even had the vacuum cleaner and all that.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, they even write that on the badges. But... why? They could have totally did Sanshita and it'd be an actual homophone for their group name...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Boonboomger continues to dig into classic Sentai tropes, and more often than not, it manages to use them to good effect. "Befriending the MOTW" in particular is another one of those classics that we haven't seen in a while.

I think I generally agree with everyone else that this episode was merely okay. Because it's playing a classic trope so straight, it doesn't really have any room to improve on it, and that does kind of put a cap on just how good the episode can be. But at the same time, it does execute well enough on the trope. This is one of the benefits of conservative storytelling: it pretty much guarantees an episode will land in a narrow range of "good" rather than ending up at either extreme.

I think one thing that hurt this take in particular, though, is that the MOTW didn't speak. Normally when this trope is invoked, the MOTW can fully speak, allowing it to become a more complex character. But these one-word MOTWs don't get the same depth since there's only so much you can do through physical suit acting. So this is more of an Old Yeller story, with Jou having to put down his beloved dog dinosaur. The so-so MOTW aside, it was a good Jou focus episode overall.

The giant robo fight was also a cut above. It wasn't to the same level as the last couple of weeks, but it also wasn't a fight that was quickly resolved with a bunch of CGI footage. The crew continues to put some extra effort into these fights, and it shows.

And I continue to appreciate the production blog posts being copied here. It's exactly the right amount of insider details to go with our over-analysis of a foreign kid's show.:D

Unrelated note: where's Shirabe been the last month? I just realized that we haven't seen her since episode 10. She's just comic relief, but it's odd to go more than a couple of episodes without an appearance from a secondary character that gets a spot in the opening credits.
takenoko wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:35 am Team Rocket in disguise is pretty good for a 5 second visual joke
Bothering to put a name tag on Yalcar really put it over the top.:lol:
Wow, this team talks to each other. Gives this team a thumbs up for not being a team of idiots
Yeah, I appreciate that didn't become a B-plot of misunderstandings that distracted from the story.
Wait, is Monster a dinosaur?
No, it's not. But do you want to tell that to the giant robot killing machine?
Given how pretty the curator was, did anyone else think she'd go on a date with Jou or something to cheer him up?
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that flag. While this episode played the MOTW's situation very straight, they definitely zig-zagged us with the curator. it seems like it's very rare for Toei to cast a pretty young woman in a guest role like this and not have it lead to something.
Not the best I've seen, but not as terrible as Houtarou putting down Hopper1 either.
That is, unfortunately, a very low bar to clear. But you aren't wrong. :oops:
Yaiba wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:42 am And I just realize they were cosplaying as Ghost Buster for their dino hunt, even had the vacuum cleaner and all that.
Isn't sucking up ghosts more of a Luigi's Mansion thing? Though I suppose if you're improvising, a vacuum cleaner is about as close as you'll get to a proton pack.
takenoko wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:22 pm Preview talk:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E5%A ... #jn-100714
So shimatsuya in modern times is a term for a stingy person. But in olden times, he's the guy who collected money from deadbeats that didn't pay at the brothel. So hear me out. Let me use the phrase Boom Violet the Pimp
But does he have a cane? A proper pimp not only needs to dress in purple, but they need a cane. Being purple alone isn't enough to upstage the likes of Ryuu Commander!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>But these one-word MOTWs don't get the same depth since there's only so much you can do through physical suit acting. So this is more of an Old Yeller story, with Jou having to put down his beloved dog dinosaur. The so-so MOTW aside, it was a good Jou focus episode overall.

Good thing no other franchise killed off their monosyllabic mascot for pathos

>Unrelated note: where's Shirabe been the last month? I just realized that we haven't seen her since episode 10. She's just comic relief, but it's odd to go more than a couple of episodes without an appearance from a secondary character that gets a spot in the opening credits.

Isn't she part of some comedian group? Maybe she has other obligations from time to time and just pops in to horn dog on the robot when Mr. Toei calls
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:35 amGiven how pretty the curator was, did anyone else think she'd go on a date with Jou or something to cheer him up? Appreciate that they ended the episode on kind of a bittersweet note

As far as ranger befriends the motw stories go, that was alright. Not the best I've seen, but not as terrible as Houtarou putting down Hopper1 either. Felt like they took the appropriate time to linger on an emotion and to let the feelings sink in. The friendship wsa a bit accelerated, but there's only so much you can do in a 23 minute long episode
I never thought the curator was going to go on a date with Jou. She was interested in getting the fossil back and probably didn't care or even know about Jou's relationship with Kitarou. Also Jou wasn't looking he was sad or anything when he returned the fossil to the curator.

I do like the lack of sounds towards the end of the giant battle and let the sad music played. It didn't need the Boom sound and the finisher line over such a scene.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Haven't the other MOTWs been able to speak up to this point? Why'd they pick this episode to suddenly go the Pokémon route?
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger, King-Ohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: BoonBoomger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Zerato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:21 pm Haven't the other MOTWs been able to speak up to this point? Why'd they pick this episode to suddenly go the Pokémon route?
That's... a very good point
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Zerato wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:21 pm Haven't the other MOTWs been able to speak up to this point? Why'd they pick this episode to suddenly go the Pokémon route?
It wouldn't have been an Old Yeller story otherwise. The writers were very clearly going for the pet angle with the MOTW in order to drive Jou's dilemma.

Though it doesn't change the fact that having a MOTW randomly unable to speak is completely devoid of any in-universe logic. Even a refrigerator can speak in this universe!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:00 am And I continue to appreciate the production blog posts being copied here. It's exactly the right amount of insider details to go with our over-analysis of a foreign kid's show.:D
I'm happy that you're enjoying them. I'm fascinated by behind the scenes stuff, so I enjoy reading the blogs. In the live action toku genre, the production crew needs to get creative with their tools, scene transitions and camera angles to perform physics defying actions. Looking at a scene and trying to figure out how they achieved what they did are fun pastimes.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I just assume since the fossil was based on a time where human speech wasn't a thing, it just not speaking like a normal person made sense to me.

Return to “Tire People”