My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Boonboomger 16 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.14 out of 5 (7 votes)

Always appreciate setting details. If you look at the graphic on Blue's screen, you can see each of the cars have little symbols to represent them. Not sure if they show up elsewhere in the series

Mira, an orange top this week? At least she has a pink shirt underneath

ISA spend all their time watching the skies, but they never seem to notice the bad guys coming in time stop them. Mad Rex and Cannonborg are snuck through. Hopefully they notice before the third commander arrives

Jou, just get our your gun and shoot the balloon down

Is purple the flash?

Purple and orange. Are they going to fight to see who's the baddest secondary color?

What a dumb way to hold the bow

Why is it anyone but the heroes can find the bad guys now matter where they hang otu

lol Itaasha pointing out that he has boonboomger written all over his stuff too. How to explain?!

now Mira is wearing yellow lol. And everyone is wearing black except jou who's wearing some lame suspenders

When you're in such a hurry that you beat all the grunts in your roll call

When you got to make a good impression, introduce yourself on the stairs

Boonboom, where are you getting all this footage of Cannonborg from?

I'm sure purple is going to have fun trying to keep that hair style up throughout the next year and a half

Why is his device a controller? Somehow tokusatsu makes everything game related super lame

At least Violet has good moves in his intro fight

Man, look at those yellow clown shoes though. Okay Mario Kart

I just noticed the sword is also a car

So Violet is covered on Boonboomger stuff because his thing was made by BoonBoom too. But the robot is a different robot. I guess it makes sense???

Black hates it when pink and orange gets along

Was it a good introduction? Kind of an unnecessary mystery box. The episode hinged on the viewer going "Who is this guy and why's he look likea Boonboomger" and the answer was "He found BoonBoom's discarded equipment" /me shrugs! It's not a bad intro per se, but I know nothing about him since they had to keep it secret till the end
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Pronouns: Male

Re: Boonboomger 16 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm Mira, an orange top this week? At least she has a pink shirt underneath
Mira and Genba are a secret couple, confirmed.

I enjoyed that. Based on the preview, I suspect he's signing up to join the Boonboomgers properly next week, but still, a nice rivalry while it lasts.

Is this the first Sentai suit with actual writing on it, other than the Shinkenger visors? I know a few Kamen Riders have writing on.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Pronouns: Toast
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

I feel like there should be something, but maybe not? It's sort of tacky, and if it's written in English, we get situations like ZyuRanger being an official spelling
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:39 am I feel like there should be something, but maybe not? It's sort of tacky, and if it's written in English, we get situations like ZyuRanger being an official spelling
Better than "Galaxy Rangers", which is how Zyuranger is credited in MMPR.

(Although PR credits aren't great. They literally never credited Kakuranger at all. They continued crediting Dairanger until halfway through Zeo, when someone remembered Ohranger existed.)
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
demonninja
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by demonninja »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm
Why is his device a controller? Somehow tokusatsu makes everything game related super lame

So not sure if "Controller" is a naming convention for it in Japan, but his device is actually based off a F1 car steering wheel which do look like crazy game controllers.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

it's literally got a d pad and four face buttons
demonninja
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by demonninja »

Eh. A little from Column A and a little bit from Column B then. Easier way to translate its design to kids I guess.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe whoever designed didn't get the memo that the steering wheel isn't supposed to look like a game controller lol
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm I just noticed the sword is also a car
Specifically, it seems to be a Boonboom Killer Robo-type retool of Boonboom Classic's sword form. What do we figure the odds are on Killer getting to use it?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

The preview hinted Tayia knew Homura before, which was not the case. I was kind of disappointed because past rivals were a good plot angle.

Good enough introduction of the sixth, but will need some time to warm up to Homura. I like ByunDi though.

Only Mira would do a car race in a shovel. But also only her would use the crane to shortcut-jump down the track Mario cart style. I'm enjoying her straightforward wackiness.

===========
Production Blog
https://www.toei.co.jp/entertainment/tv ... _3963.html

Miyazawa Yu joins the cast, and will be playing Homura Sakito, Boom Violet. He's a cool 29-year-old guy who replaced Souma-kun (Orange) as the oldest cast member.
What? From Gatchard? The Kashine?
Who is that? I'm not sure, I'm not cultured enough... (Hint: Episode 32)

Miyazawa-kun auditioned for a Boonboomger regular role and made it to the final round. But unfortunately, there was no role that suited him, so he wasn't chosen. That's just how auditions go.

While I was typing up the script for episode 16, I immediately thought, "This is Miyazawa-kun". I was in charge of preparing for the audition. so I asked him if he would like to try again.
He was chosen without problems this time. That's just how auditions go. (x2)

Homura Sakito. The name comes from the F in F1 (Formula), which is a derivative of Homura. And from circuit, which is a derivative of Sakito. The name Homura Sakito contains the character "Murasaki" (violet).

Huh? Was this intentional?
Ah, y-yes. It's not like I realized this after trying various combinations and making my decision, or was it some kind of miracle or something. I thought it through properly and made the decision. Maybe.
Japanese Text
宮澤佑、参戦
ブンバイオレットこと焔先斗を演じるのは宮澤佑さん。
相馬くんから最年長の座を奪った29歳のイケてるお兄さんです。
え?ガッチャードの?カッシーン?
なんですかそれ?ちょっとわかりませんね、勉強不足なもんで…。

実は宮澤くんはブンブンレギュラーのオーディションにも参加しており、最終審査まで残っていました。
しかし残念ながら、今回のブンブンジャーには合う役がいない…ということで不合格。オーディションってそういうもんです。

16話のホン打ちと並行してオーディションの準備を担当していた僕は
「これ宮澤くんじゃん」とすぐに思い立ち、
オーディションにご参加いただけないかの打診をしました。
そしたらもうスムーーーズに決まったのでした。
やっぱりオーディションってそういうもんです(2回目)

焔先斗。
名前の由来はF1のFであるフォーミュラが転じてホムラ、
サーキットが転じてサキト。
ちなみにホムラサキトという名前の中には“ムラサキ”が入っています。
だからサブタイトルのムラサキもあえてカタカナなんですね。

え?これは狙いかって?
あ〜、そ、そうっすよ。
色んな候補を組み合わせて決定した後に気づいたとか、なかば奇跡とか、
そんなことないっすからね。
ちゃんと、考えて、決めたんす。
多分。
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>The preview hinted Tayia knew Homura before, which was not the case. I was kind of disappointed because past rivals were a good plot angle.

I thought the whole thing was confused. Like why was he messing with the Boonboomgers before, then when he arrives at the bad guy place he's surprised that there are Boonboomgers on Earth. Was this some 4d chess that I was missing??

>Homura Sakito. The name comes from the F in F1 (Formula), which is a derivative of Homura. And from circuit, which is a derivative of Sakito. The name Homura Sakito contains the character "Murasaki" (violet).

Huh, that's interesting
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I'm pretty sure the Boonboomger on Boon Violet's suit is supposed to be like F1 racing jumpsuits are like where they have various logos from sponsors and team names on them.

They did so much research on F1 racing for Boon Violet except when they named Byun Diesel, F1 cars don't run on diesel. Speaking of Byun Diesel, his VA is Tanjiro from Demon Slayer.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

he's not named after diesel fuel. he's named after vin diesel the star of the fast of the furious series
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Family!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was an interesting episode, as the arrival of the sixth often is.

For as simple as Boonboomger is, I'm glad the show waited until this far in to add the sixth to the mix. Sentai's kind of developed a bad habit of bringing in the sixth at the end of the first quarter, which doesn't give the plot threads for the core 5 much time to set up, let alone do anything off-beat. So if the 6th is meant to be a new person to change up the team dynamic, then it's good to let the core 5 gel first so that there's an old dynamic to shake up - especially as it took 8 episodes to even get the 5 man band together to begin with.

Sixth rangers are often showboats, and Violet certainly lives up to that standard. As far as sixth introductions go in particular, I'd place this one so-so. If you strip away the showboating, there's not much about Violet that's actually revealed. Which to be sure, something has to be saved for the next episode (never mind the rest of the series!), but other Sentai series have managed to flesh out their sixth rangers a bit more before putting them head-long into a fight. I certainly didn't expect him to be a fixer, though.:shock:

The Violet costume is close enough to the regular Boonboomger suits that it fits right in while still having its edge of distinctiveness. However I can't help but laugh at Violet's controller/bow weapon - and not in a good way. It just looks so ridiculous in practice. At least a sword looks like it can cut you; that thing is so abstract from an actual bow that I'm not even sure I'd be scared of getting clubbed over the head with it (let alone shot with it). Every time I look at it, all I can think about is the Nerf Bow 'n' Arrow; which, admittedly, the Boonboom Controller is a toy. But it's really not a very threatening one! :lol:

And that lack of practicality does impact the quality of the fight scenes. Other than hand-to-hand combat, there's just not much the choreographers can do with that thing, and it shows in this episode. Sixth debut fights are normally an intricately-choreographed feast for the eyes, and Violet's debut fight was only so-so in that regard. On the plus side, however, Violet has a rather catchy fight song. It's been a while since a sixth has received a song that stands out like that.

There was no mecha fight this week; we'll meet Al ByunDi next week. Which is just fine, as this episode had enough going on. I'm not quite sure what to make of ByunDi (the helmet feels out of place), but that's something I can save for next week.

And hey, everyone got an extended roll call this week! Even the villains! :lol:

On a technical note, is it my imagination, or have they tweaked the CGI for the cars a bit? It's not an animation bump by any means, but it felt like the lighting/shadowing may have been a bit different?

PS For anyone in the know (Luna?), are the Olympics going to disrupt the SHT schedule next month?
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm lol Itaasha pointing out that he has boonboomger written all over his stuff too. How to explain?!
They took that all surprisingly calmly...
When you're in such a hurry that you beat all the grunts in your roll call
That is called being quick and efficient!
Kamen Rider Ookalf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:57 pm
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm I just noticed the sword is also a car
Specifically, it seems to be a Boonboom Killer Robo-type retool of Boonboom Classic's sword form. What do we figure the odds are on Killer getting to use it?
I'm not offering odds against that; it would be criminal to let anyone bet against it.

That is a good call, though. I didn't initially pick up on the fact that it was a retool of Classic (the spikes kind of threw me off).

Return to “Tire People”