Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Don't spoil (about spoilers)

Post by takenoko »

A spoiler is a bit of information or a picture that spoils a future aspect of the story for someone who has not reached that point in the story yet.

A famous example of this in the last year would be to go around telling people what the ending of Harry Potter was. That would be spoiling the end for people who had not read the ending.

The reason this is such a big deal is because it's extremely discourteous to fellow board goers. Foreknowledge of something will change one's experience. So sometimes a spoiler will take the surprise out of something that's meant to be surprising. Or it'd ruin the fun for people who are tackling an unsolved mystery. Once you know something, it's not like you can unknow it, that's why spoiler offenders are treated pretty ruthlessly here.

1. Our general spoiler rule is that once an episode is released (subbed, yes, we go by our releases here) it's fair game for discussion.

But please use your common sense. If someone's posting in an episode one thread, please don't start talking about something that won't happen for several episodes in that thread.

1b. In general, we do not include discussion of the previews as part of the episode. For me, I stop watching the preview once the talking stops. That spoiler footage they show during the sponsor bit is completely off limits for discussion as far as I'm concerned

2. If you're not sure, use a spoiler tag. Be sure to tell people what the spoiler is about so that they can decide whether they want to click it or not.

3. Do not include the spoiler in the description itself, that would defeat the purpose. Also, don't put spoilers of any kind in any thread titles

4. I think this should be obvious, but don't make animated gifs using footage from episodes that we haven't released yet.

Is it a spoiler litmus test
If you don't know if what you're posting is a spoiler or not, ask yourself two questions:
1) Is what I'm posting based on knowledge from this episode and previously released episodes?
If your answer is "no", you're using outside information and shouldn't be sharing it in this thread

2) Is the content of my post primarily about the next episode or beyond?
If you're guessing about a future episode, please use a spoiler box. If you're commenting on something from a future episode, well, that's a spoiler, so don't bother posting that at all.
Raida|23
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite series: too much to list

Re: Don't spoil (about spoilers)

Post by Raida|23 »

Of course, the common sense is the first thing to use.

And now, a completely OT, but it's kinda "funny".

Do you know that here in Italy the end of the new book of Harry Potter has been spoiled in the TV news? Yes, it's true, the newsman said how it ends on the first national TV channel.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

takenoko wrote:1b. In general, we do not include discussion of the previews as part of the episode. For me, I stop watching the preview once the talking stops. That spoiler footage they show during the sponsor bit is completely off limits for discussion as far as I'm concerned
So this has changed again? I wish I could get non conflicting info. ;_; You'll notice in the Den O 47 page 4 I was told that they're ok. So is this from this point right now til forever the rule on the previews? Regardless of what anyone else says?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, that's a point of disagreement between unmei and myself. People can watch the next episode spoiler footage if they want, but you can't say that's part of that episode. If a thread is about episode X, it doesn't make sense to be talking about episode y in it.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I understand and agree with you on that. But I do remember when I first came here that I did that (oh look at the preview for the next ep how cool!) and Unmei had my back on it (thanks bunches I appreciate that, hadn't forgotten about it) and I was told to from that point onward to not do it again. So.... since you've made it an official rule that it is something everyone should abide by, I'll do the moderation as such.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Saejima Kouga wrote:I understand and agree with you on that. But I do remember when I first came here that I did that (oh look at the preview for the next ep how cool!) and Unmei had my back on it (thanks bunches I appreciate that, hadn't forgotten about it) and I was told to from that point onward to not do it again. So.... since you've made it an official rule that it is something everyone should abide by, I'll do the moderation as such.
Well, I took a look at the episode 47 thread and gave a more detailed response to it.
Liner_Form
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Too creepy to answer
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Liner_Form »

Drat, you win this time, SK... *deletes 47 post*
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I didn't ask for the sake of finding out if I was right or wrong, but because I (and really everyone else too) needs to know for sure.
Liner_Form
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Too creepy to answer
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Maroon 5

Post by Liner_Form »

And that is an excellent point to make. I'd hate Go-onger and Kiva to be spoiled too. But I'm still moping over the fact that you got something right when I was wrong >_<
Shado Kabuto
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Faiz Kabuto Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O Deka Magi Bou

Post by Shado Kabuto »

well that's some sense if the new members don't try to spoil when Kiva and Go-Onger going to air
I walk the path of HEAVENS
Thanks Guile for the Kabuto Avy's and Signatures
thanks bauffie for the sig.
dekared
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Mei (Pteraranger)
Favorite Actor?: Al Pacino
My boom: Candy Toys
Quote: It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by dekared »

I'd still like to know how my post in the Den-O 48 thread was spoilerific, as I haven't actually seen anything of 49, and I was just theorising on things we have already seen, in your releases.
WHERE'S THE SOAP?!
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

^Just wait til the episode comes out and we'll add it to the ep 49 thread like takenoko told you. It's not like you were warned or banned so stop complaining already.
dekared
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Mei (Pteraranger)
Favorite Actor?: Al Pacino
My boom: Candy Toys
Quote: It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by dekared »

oh, i'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, i'm jus very puzzled as to what was in my post that we haven't already seen, thats all.
WHERE'S THE SOAP?!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's about this time that the spoilers get really bad. Remember to not use pictures or mention names of new stuff or anything that isn't known about in the story already.

I think a ban of two months should be a fair consequence for this
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I've seen several tonight. It's starting to get out of hand. So I will be upholding the "you spoil you get banned" rule. It's simple to NOT do. Just don't talk about something that we have NOT released.

Return to “Rules and Announcements (Newbies, read first)”