Get a fist full of Kung-Fu action!
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Boukenger | GekiRanger | Go-Onger >
Darien_Shields
7X

GekiViolet = Mace Windu?

Post by Darien_Shields »

I've been thinking for a while now- since he first showed up, really- that Gou/GekiViolet might take some inspiration from Mace Windu of Star Wars fame.

There are really two things that get me thinking about this; Shigeki and GekiViolet's colour.

Shigeki is described as being (forgive me if I misremember) a distinct offshoot from Geki which (combined with Gou's animal transformation) runs dangerously close to being Rinki. Now, if you look at Windu, obviously Star Wars has the Light Side / Dark Side contrast which we can easily compare to Geki and Rinki. If I know my Star Wars lore right (which I may not- erk!) the Light Side is about remaining calm and composed wheras the Dark Side feeds off the user's emotions- dark ones such as hatred and anger especially. Sound familiar? Well, the important part is that Mace Windu uses a special form of combat ("Vashpaad" according to Wikipedia) which actually runs the risk of going to the dark side. It "requires the user to actually enjoy the thrill of the fight, and the thrill of victory". Which makes me think it's kind of like Shigeki- geki that's much closer to Rinki.

The other thing, as I mentioned, is the colour. GekiViolet is, well, Violet. Mace Windu stands out in Star Wars because (as Samuel Jackson requested) he has a Lilac Light Sabre. Personally this seems kinda similar to me, they're both pinkish purplish tones. Plus, as Sentai go, Violet is a really rare colour (I can't think of another example of a violet/purple ranger ever before!), so I have to wonder if there was a particular reason behind it.

Anyway, did anyone else notice this similarity? Or am I just going crazy here.

(I guess that makes Shafu Yoda)
Cyberman
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Re: GekiViolet = Mace Windu?

Post by Cyberman »

Then it make Dan "Darth Vader" while Jan is Luke Skywalker.

Hmm Then Ken is Han Solo?

Rest of the Masters are fellow councils of Jedi and Maku is the emperor or Darth Maul?
MadanRyuKenshi
Infinity
Favorite series: All of them
Dreamy: Mako, Natsumi
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: Gackt
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Kamen Riders

Post by MadanRyuKenshi »

I never thought of it that way before, nice.
"You cur, who are you?"
"Just a passing through Kamen Rider, remember that!"
"Henshin!"
"~Kamen Ride: Decade.~"
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by DarkRobin »

Darien_Shields wrote:I've been thinking for a while now- since he first showed up, really- that Gou/GekiViolet might take some inspiration from Mace Windu of Star Wars fame.

There are really two things that get me thinking about this; Shigeki and GekiViolet's colour.

Shigeki is described as being (forgive me if I misremember) a distinct offshoot from Geki which (combined with Gou's animal transformation) runs dangerously close to being Rinki. Now, if you look at Windu, obviously Star Wars has the Light Side / Dark Side contrast which we can easily compare to Geki and Rinki. If I know my Star Wars lore right (which I may not- erk!) the Light Side is about remaining calm and composed wheras the Dark Side feeds off the user's emotions- dark ones such as hatred and anger especially. Sound familiar? Well, the important part is that Mace Windu uses a special form of combat ("Vashpaad" according to Wikipedia) which actually runs the risk of going to the dark side. It "requires the user to actually enjoy the thrill of the fight, and the thrill of victory". Which makes me think it's kind of like Shigeki- geki that's much closer to Rinki.

The other thing, as I mentioned, is the colour. GekiViolet is, well, Violet. Mace Windu stands out in Star Wars because (as Samuel Jackson requested) he has a Lilac Light Sabre. Personally this seems kinda similar to me, they're both pinkish purplish tones. Plus, as Sentai go, Violet is a really rare colour (I can't think of another example of a violet/purple ranger ever before!), so I have to wonder if there was a particular reason behind it.

Anyway, did anyone else notice this similarity? Or am I just going crazy here.

(I guess that makes Shafu Yoda)
It's true that Mace Windu is the only one that uses purple light saber in Star Wars whereas all other Jedi or Seth use green/blue or red ones. Making him unique in the series.

But I don't think Windu is the sort of character that possess between good and evil.
eldar
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by eldar »

Cyberman wrote:Then it make Dan "Darth Vader" while Jan is Luke Skywalker.

Hmm Then Ken is Han Solo?

Rest of the Masters are fellow councils of Jedi and Maku is the emperor or Darth Maul?
Long is Darth Sidious
Rio is probably Darth Vader, a person who was once good that fell to the dark side due to the traumatic events in their childhood that makes them desire power.
Jan is Luke in that he is destined to defeat Rio and redeem him.
Maku is Darth Maul, beings of rage with little intelligence.

Shafu is Yoda, the grand master of the bunch.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think I'm experiencing deja vu but I know this conversation has happened before since it was a post in the old forums.
Warrior of Zarona
!Wizards
!Wizards

Post by Warrior of Zarona »

Yeah, I brought this up months ago.
Tendou Souji
Mega
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Momotaros
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
My boom: Setsuna F Seiei

Post by Tendou Souji »

Phoenix512 wrote:I think I'm experiencing deja vu but I know this conversation has happened before since it was a post in the old forums.
I always heard of this...deja vu...But wat deja vu actually is???
teh_unknown1
Honey System
Favorite series: Magi, Den-O, GARO
Dreamy: Satou Takeru. ^_^
Favorite Band: MSI right now.
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by teh_unknown1 »

Tendou Souji wrote:
Phoenix512 wrote:I think I'm experiencing deja vu but I know this conversation has happened before since it was a post in the old forums.
I always heard of this...deja vu...But wat deja vu actually is???
Deja vu = I've seen/done this before. (Correct me there if I'm wrong--I know I've been told, my mind is just slightly scattered ATM.)

>_> Hence, they said that because they knew it'd been brought up before.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

^ You're right. "Déjà vu" literally means "Already seen" in French. :3
Liner_Form
Kamen Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Too creepy to answer
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Liner_Form »

Then who is R2-D2?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Liner_Form wrote: Then who is R2-D2?
That weird training robot in the background that appears every now and then.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by DarkRobin »

Kogashi wrote:
Liner_Form wrote: Then who is R2-D2?
That weird training robot in the background that appears every now and then.
I think you mean RoboTough
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Jyuken Is like The Force from Star Wars

Post by DarkRobin »

I've felt something since the beginning of starting to watch Gekirangers

It's different from other Super Sentai series in the way that its theme is not just about good vs evil like all previous teams.

It is about two groups of opposing forces that use same power with different ideology, much like the practitioners of Force from Star Wars.

In SW, Jedi are the practitioners of the Light side of the Force, which is controlled with positive feeling and courage. Whereas Seth, the practitioners of the Dark side of the Force, their control of powers is focused on negative emotional such as rage and hatred.

This is pretty much completely parallel to the GekiJyuken/RinJyuken, Geki VS Rinki (Geki light ki of Jyuken, Rinki the dark one) conflicts.

In case anyone needs details
Geki, power generated by passion of justice
Rinki, power produced by hatred, suffering and despair of others

The dark side develops strength quicker(like how Rio first got stronger than the Gekirangers), deadlier(like Seth's lightning techique).

And history from both series. Jedi defeated Seth cult centuries ago, just like Kenseis of GekiJyuken defeated Kenmas of RinJyuken 4000 years prior to the series.

When I first became sure about this parallelism is when Kata first started training Rio.
Like Kata said, "In deadly battles there is training," and "teachers and students hate and try destroy each other, that is RinJyuken." This is exactly how Seth cult works between the master and the apprentice, which the graduation of the apprentice would require his/her willingness to kill the master. Exactly what Kata and Rio and were demonstrating. Not to mention when Kata accepted Rio as his pupil, Rio thought to himself of his ambition to take Kata's position and power some day, exactly what a Seth apprentice would feel toward the master.

Other than ideology of same art opposing one another
We have characters we play the role of almost identical status.

Jan - Luke Skywalker
Young beginner of the good side who both have stronger potential than others

Rio - Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
Who start as a practitioner of the good side, then corrupted or lured to the evil side

Master Sha-Fu - Master Yoda
The masters and leaders of the highest rank among the good guys. Both have words of wisdom

Long - Emperor/Darth Sidius
The puppet master and the ultimate villain who manipulate sides for his ends

Everyone sees the parallelism and similarity here :roll:
Last edited by DarkRobin on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tendou Souji
Mega
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Momotaros
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
My boom: Setsuna F Seiei

Re: Jyuken Is like The Force from Star Wars

Post by Tendou Souji »

I agree what u say...But ur words hurt my eyes x_x