Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Complete Series Discussion

Post by Battra »

I thought it was a good series for Toho to try and put a dent into the sentai franchise.

Liked: Daisazer certainly was a refreshing to see, nice to see a combination of giant robots able to form something other than a giant humanoid. Dolcross was by far my favorite of the Chouseishin, also seeing recycled Godzilla movie props was a plus too.

Dislikes: Tenma, I got tried of him being the "Neo" of the series by the second story, serious they focused on him way to much. The series went a little to long for me I think they could have axed most of the alien alliance arc, also 12 characters is a little hard to follow and sadly doesn't allow for much character development from the rest of the characters, especially when almost every episode is devoted to the Fire Tribe. Some of the aliens in the series looked like they were rejects from the Ultra series.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
strawhatcapn
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Band: My Chemical Romance
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Complete Series Discussion

Post by strawhatcapn »

I have to disagree, I enjoyed Tenma's stereotypical "i'm the guy, so i'm going to blindly dash forward into ANYTHING!!" But I do agree with you on 12 characters being too much to develop. Not too mention that Ran and Ai, while attractive, were useless characters, imo. Ran's "I'm whiny", and Ai's "Sensei! Tappei! Sensei!" every ten minutes got... irksome. Also is it just me or did the show take... several episodes to finally gain some traction?

*Rant*
And if their DNA powered super suits can teach them to dodge bullets, you'd think they'd atleast be able to walk out of the way of a slow moving laser beam that took time to charge in their giant robots... Heaven help these kids play an FPS where you shoot and strafe at the same time...
*End Rant*
Grei
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Favorite Band: Utada Hikaru
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Grei »

I personally thought trying to have 12 different main characters was an interesting experiment, though obviously one that didn't leave much room for character development. I'm sure people will have noticed that the subsequent series had more manageable team sizes.

That said, I definitely liked different flavors each member of the different tribes brought in fighting style, weapons, and mecha performance. It's a shame that only the main member of each tribe got the most mecha time and of those, Tenma was of course the most watched character.

Over all, I liked the series...in fact I just started rewatching it again this week after reloading it into my system to seed the torrents.

Grei
kevn57
Gao
Favorite series: Akihabara@DEEP
Dreamy: Akira
Favorite Actor?: Horikita Maki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by kevn57 »

I just started watching this series and the first 14 episodes I've seen I've enjoyed very much. I've got a question about Ken Shidou/Sazer Lion according to Wikipedia the actor is Kohei Takeda from Kiva. But Ken and Otoya don't look anything alike to me. Are they really the same actor?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

They spell their first names differently, so they're different people.
kevn57
Gao
Favorite series: Akihabara@DEEP
Dreamy: Akira
Favorite Actor?: Horikita Maki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by kevn57 »

takenoko wrote:They spell their first names differently, so they're different people.
Thanks takenoko, He is in "Tadashii Oji no Tsukurikata", but I didn't recognize him until he changed his appearance in the series. He plays the exact opposite character type that he does in Kiva, he's afraid to talk with girls and communicates via text messages, that is before his classmates "produce" him.
Aoiblue
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Trick
Dreamy: Haga Yuria
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gransazer

Post by Aoiblue »

This is one of my All time favorite toku's,
thats why my Sig and Avatar are dedicated to them
JB Pauls
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Ultraman
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger

Post by JB Pauls »

For the most part I enjoyed the series a lot. It was a neat angle having the tribes and the 12 characters, but unfortunately that did have characters just disappearing for episodes (which would equate to weeks) at a time... and also had situations where you'd have 3 characters in grave danger, and I'd be (mentally) yelling at the screen "umm... why not call the OTHER NINE OF YOU!"

Other than that minor gripe, I did have a lot of fun with the show. It was my first Toku that wasn't Sentai, Kamen Rider or Ultraman, so that was fun as well. Great fight scenes most of the time.
icecreamhendrix
Secretly a Robot in Disguise
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Liveman
Dreamy: Megumi Asou
Favorite Band: The Jimi Hendrix Exp
My boom: Transformers
Quote: There's no time to waste! I must summon the Justice League to an emergency meeting! It may well take our combined powers to battle the awesome menace of Starro and its starfish-deputies! - Aquaman
Location: What's the point of this, everyone else just writes something snarky

Post by icecreamhendrix »

I think the first two arcs were written very well, and had a nice pace to them, but after that, it just kinda dragged on until the end. And I agree, there were some moments where I thought "there are 12 gransazers, not 2." Also, Logia's second appearence and change of heart both kinda came in a little late, and feels like it didn't do anything important.

Also, who did Ryouka/Velsou marry at the end. The credits kinda prevented me from focusing on him. Was it Naoto/Tawlon.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, there's like one or two small nods that indicate that Tawlon and Velsou were an item, but not much
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Wrapped this series up last weekend. I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it, but it definitely seemed to me like a step down in quality from Sentai, Kamen Rider, or even the Takara Tomy series. I think a big piece of the problem was the large cast. Aside from the occasional focus episode, Tenma and Mika and the Professor were the only three to consistently get screen time after the initial arc where everyone was introduced. I wanted to care about the characters, but it's hard to do that when I barely see them. Also, I'm not the type to skip past the mecha battle in sentai (or even Rescue Force/Fire), but the Chouseishin battles really had trouble keeping my interest. Once Daisazer was introduced, they felt very repetitive.

Overall, I'd give this series credit for the effort it made, but found it lacking in execution. I'm curious to see if the two series that followed it improved on its weaknesses.
gantonis
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Power Rangers
Dreamy: Sazer Velsu
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by gantonis »

I liked the series very much. But, it would be better if we had seen the water tribe in more episodes. My favourite episode is the last one, where all the Gransazers dive in Daisazer and Logia goes Belzeus to Ofu Manafu (I don't remember the names very well) and Tenma speaks to Ofu Manafu. Also, I liked the battles between the tribes! :D
Zazelle
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu

Post by Zazelle »

kevn57 wrote:I just started watching this series and the first 14 episodes I've seen I've enjoyed very much. I've got a question about Ken Shidou/Sazer Lion according to Wikipedia the actor is Kohei Takeda from Kiva. But Ken and Otoya don't look anything alike to me. Are they really the same actor?
kevn57 wrote:
takenoko wrote:They spell their first names differently, so they're different people.
Thanks takenoko, He is in "Tadashii Oji no Tsukurikata", but I didn't recognize him until he changed his appearance in the series. He plays the exact opposite character type that he does in Kiva, he's afraid to talk with girls and communicates via text messages, that is before his classmates "produce" him.
Wait so it's really Otoya? He looks totally different O_O Currently dling episode 20, i'm hooked lol. But seriously, Sazer Lion is Otoya from Kiva? No way O_O
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

No
Zazelle
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu

Post by Zazelle »

Hmm. I googled his name like 5 times today and I always get Otoya. A huge clue that makes me think it's not him is that after he married he stopped acting. And do you know if it was Otoya who did the Voice Acting for Vaan in Japanese? That's another clue. Oh well, can't wait to finish this, It's starting to get really interesting :)

Return to “ChouSeiShin GranSazer”