New Kamen Rider W HD Encodes

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
ViRGE
Save the life

New Kamen Rider W HD Encodes

Post by ViRGE »

After the trouble you guys had getting a proper HD source for W earlier this season, I'm not sure whether these are encoding errors or source errors. I'm just going to report them anyhow in case it is an encoding error that's fixable:

1) 21HD: 18:27 - 19:27, it suffers from the missing frame problem that some of the earlier faulty HD encodes did. So in a 4 frame cycle it has 3 frames and a duplicate instead of 4 frames.

2) All: Audio. I noticed that these are all encoded in HE-AAC v1, rather than the usual AAC-LC. I'm not even sure whether this is valid for a MP4 file, but more to the point there are a lot of video players right now that don't know how to handle an HE-AAC audio stream, which results in them playing back the half-bitrate baseband stream without the ability to reproduce the high-frequency sounds.

Anyhow, hopefully these are correctable issues, and thanks for the new round of HD encodes guys.:)
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: New Kamen Rider W HD Encodes

Post by XIII »

ViRGE wrote:After the trouble you guys had getting a proper HD source for W earlier this season, I'm not sure whether these are encoding errors or source errors. I'm just going to report them anyhow in case it is an encoding error that's fixable:

1) 21HD: 18:27 - 19:27, it suffers from the missing frame problem that some of the earlier faulty HD encodes did. So in a 4 frame cycle it has 3 frames and a duplicate instead of 4 frames.
im guessing thats actually going to the be the raw at fault there as we dont do any frame rate chopping apart from those crappy raws for shinkenger
ViRGE wrote:2) All: Audio. I noticed that these are all encoded in HE-AAC v1, rather than the usual AAC-LC. I'm not even sure whether this is valid for a MP4 file, but more to the point there are a lot of video players right now that don't know how to handle an HE-AAC audio stream, which results in them playing back the half-bitrate baseband stream without the ability to reproduce the high-frequency sounds.

Anyhow, hopefully these are correctable issues, and thanks for the new round of HD encodes guys.:)
Yeah someone else noticed a different error for the audio, but its all stems from a few flubbered settings on the audio encoding profile, im working with the encoder assigned to this show to sort out the problems for future encodes

As for the HE-AAC v1, its a valid M4A Audio stream which is what were aiming for, now this is a standard that has been around since 2003, its a more efficient encoder for audio, its widely used as is the standard for DAB radio

The fact people are playing them on a PS3 shows that they are compatible with this profile, MPC-HC is compatible, I have no idea on other players, but if they arnt compatible after 7 years, they are seriously out of date for playing anything.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Thanks for the reply, Azazel.:)
Azazel wrote:As for the HE-AAC v1, its a valid M4A Audio stream which is what were aiming for, now this is a standard that has been around since 2003, its a more efficient encoder for audio, its widely used as is the standard for DAB radio

The fact people are playing them on a PS3 shows that they are compatible with this profile, MPC-HC is compatible, I have no idea on other players, but if they arnt compatible after 7 years, they are seriously out of date for playing anything.
Here's the thing though, are you sure it's fully compatible, or have you just checked if it's working? HE-AAC has 2 components, a half-bitrate AAC-LC baseband stream for the mids and lows (so in this case it would be a 40kbps stream), and then a second Spectral Band Replication stream for the highs. Basically anything that can play AAC-LC can play the baseband stream as a fallback method, but the result is that the quality sucks.

It's interesting that you say MPC-HC supports it though, as in my experience it doesn't. Looking at what MPC-HC is feeding me, it doesn't seem to have any idea that it's an HE-AAC stream, as it's only reporting the baseband stream.

Indeed it would be unexpected for most pure video players to support HE-AAC, because it's a codec that's usually used for radio-like purposes. SBR mangles things some, but it's the best thing out there at 64kbps and below that's suitable for music. But when it comes to pairing it with video, AAC-LC is used because it's otherwise a higher quality codec at normal bitrates, the implication being that since you have a much larger video stream that you don't need to cut corners on the audio stream.

Because of that I would stick with 128kbps AAC-LC for the HD encodes for compatibility and quality reasons, but that's just my $0.02.:)
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

I played back a few eps quickly and all played with audio fine

As I said I'm working with the encoder to try and fix this problem, its just gonna take us some time to try and fix everything.

Were still learning stuff for everything, there will always be a teething problems as we always find.
SpinelSun
Faiz
Favorite series: Kabuto,Decade,@DEEP
2nd Favorite Series: Magi,Deka,Shinken
Dreamy: Matsushima Hatsune
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by SpinelSun »

Azazel wrote:I played back a few eps quickly and all played with audio fine
It does seem to sound fine in MPC-HC, but it only reports the half samplerate AAC-LC stream and doesn't even know about SBR. Just see for yourself, File->Properties then click details. It also shows the same in the filter pin info, rightclick the video and select Filters->AAC Decoder. then click pin info, look at the Connection media type it still only shows something like "AAC 24000Hz stereo 83kbps" notice it's showing at half samplerate 24kHz instead of 48kHz.
However It is obviously playingback at and outputting 48kHz

something else worth mentioning, he is setting the Audio _Title_ to %language_japanese% instead of actually setting the language.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

SpinelSun wrote:
Azazel wrote:I played back a few eps quickly and all played with audio fine
It does seem to sound fine in MPC-HC, but it only reports the half samplerate AAC-LC stream and doesn't even know about SBR. Just see for yourself, File->Properties then click details. It also shows the same in the filter pin info, rightclick the video and select Filters->AAC Decoder. then click pin info, look at the Connection media type it still only shows something like "AAC 24000Hz stereo 83kbps" notice it's showing at half samplerate 24kHz instead of 48kHz.
However It is obviously playingback at and outputting 48kHz

something else worth mentioning, he is setting the Audio _Title_ to %language_japanese% instead of actually setting the language.
thats what were find as the strange part, were not sure whats fucked up, as soon as the encoder awakens ill be getting him to make some changes so problems dont continue, it just strange that the profile i use doesnt work on someone else's comp, guess something has gone really wonky there, well done windows.

As for the audio title bit, thats probably more down to lazyness on our part, we can set it fully, its just remembering to do so XD

Return to “Tech Support”