Back in Action

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Back in Action

Post by shadowneko003 »

The Rangers are back home and back in action.

Variety article
NYT article

Shinkenger adaption?
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Saban takes the Rights to Power Ranger BACK from Disney!

Post by Deka_Hero »

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801 ... id=14&cs=1
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... ers&st=cse

IT'S REALLY HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saban has wisted the rights to Power Rangers away from Disney and is moving the Franchise over to Nickelodeon!

SUCK IT DISNEY!
Draiken
Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Magic: The Gathering

Re: Back in Action

Post by Draiken »

Sweet! Saban's back in action with the Power Rangers!!

Whatever's going to come out, I hope it's more watchable than Disney's "remastering". :D
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Beat me by a few minutes.........
DarkProject
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Quote: Fast like the wind,
Silent like a forest,
Intrusive like the fire,
Immobile like a mountain.
-Takeda Shingen

Post by DarkProject »

AWESOME! This is the best thing that could ever happen to American Toku. If Saban will also produce/distribute the next KR offering, we could be seeing the start of a new golden age.
Draiken
Faiz
My boom: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Draiken »

Here's an extra, supplementary link provided by Power Morphicon's facebook group. Really just all that the previous links have stated plus some stuff at the end that I didn't see in the previous links.
Kaheraji
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kaheraji »

Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... I really wanted it to just pass quietly into the night... still, those who enjoy Power Rangers, please enjoy and congrats and what not.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Does this mean it might become watchable again? Because that would be a dream.
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama

Post by Leonite Rider »

YEAH! SABAN HAVE THE RIGHTS AGAIN!

They might make the show more like the original, or more like later series in the Saban run (Space-Time Force) ie Darker and more mature. All I can say is that Disney can suck it now.

Now,, if they help the people who are trying to make good KR adaptions (like Dragon Knight) then we might be set until Rescue Force becomes an option.
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things
TheXev
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki

Post by TheXev »

Can't contain myself, loosing control.... loosing control.........

Haim better write the music again too, we need awesome theme songs!!!
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger

Re: Saban takes the Rights to Power Ranger BACK from Disney!

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Yeah, suck it!

...Wait, what did they do wrong that saban didn't again? Aside from canceling production after years of not really enough popularity to justify continuing production?

...I mean, yay! A well below average length season! And Nick having the rights, they can bring back the live-action TMNT for another crossover!

(edit - okay, reading this, the half-assed revamp of season 1 was a little jerkish of disney)
Sanare
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Go-Busters, TOQer, Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, Go-Onger

Post by Sanare »

They hired Bruce Kalish, and kept him on the show for longer than the first ten or so episodes of SPD. And Wild Force.

Other than that, they really didn't do a whole lot wrong with it. At least in my opinion. Doug, Eddie and Judd did pretty great jobs at making the show. I still can't get the Ninja Storm theme out of my head. And they could do worse than 20 episodes. They could get like, 12 like some live-action shows get a season. But I'm going to be a little pessimistic and say that even though it's in Tzachor's hands again, that doesn't mean the show will be good. I want to know who the writer's going to be, and what they plan on doing with the show.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Re: Saban takes the Rights to Power Ranger BACK from Disney!

Post by That Guy »

jolly_old_saint wrote:
Yeah, suck it!

...Wait, what did they do wrong that saban didn't again? Aside from canceling production after years of not really enough popularity to justify continuing production?

...I mean, yay! A well below average length season! And Nick having the rights, they can bring back the live-action TMNT for another crossover!

(edit - okay, reading this, the half-assed revamp of season 1 was a little jerkish of disney)
The decline in popularity was essentially sabotage by Disney themselves. They only acquired Power Rangers through their acquisition of Fox Family, and their focus group research indicated that parents didn't like the violence. These factors combined made Power Rangers a show of fairly low importance to Disney. Then they bought Marvel, which focus group research showed that parents were okay with. This allows them to produce shows for the same target demographic as Power Rangers (young boys) for lower cost (since they don't have to pay money to an outside company for the rights to the footage or character licenses). Thus, by comparison, Power Rangers becomes an expensive show that they don't want but are contractually obligated to produce. So they put in the bare minimum of effort to fulfill the contract, which hurts toy sales so that Bandai screams at Toei to bend to Disney's requests for change so that the show fits Disney criteria of suitable content. The show could still be a powerhouse if Disney had put a good amount of effort into promoting and marketing it. Saban sees what Disney did to it, hates it, but knows that it's too risky to try to reboot it with a full 40 or 50 episode season, so he's playing it safe by putting a lot of effort into a 20 episode season that should help bolster the franchise back into popularity, at which point we can go back to longer seasons.
D-boy
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Faiz/W/000/HCPrecure
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto/Decade
My boom: Riders in general
Quote: Real Men watch HeartCatch! Precure, Open My Heart!
Location: not all here, and not all there... sometimes you'll find me somewhere else.

Post by D-boy »

Reading all this makes me even more baffled at the changes they made to Go-Onger/RPM... I mean, sure there was violence, but the friendly engine-souls would have added that 'Disney' fluff. Instead they went the 'darker' route... which seems not only counterproductive to their image, but also probably cost more writing wise. (fluff you can spit out pretty easy when that's all you do in the first place. dark and gritty takes a lot more finesse. though, I'm not sure how dark it was in the end, but that first episode alone, with all the 'end of the world effects' had to have been pretty expensive)

... So, were they really trying to compete with KR Dragon Knight last year, or where they just shooting themselves in the foot?

Well, at least Saban has a second chance. And maybe this time if they get the KR rights, they could... you know, not bend over the property.

Either way, looks like Tokusatsu In America is not dead yet...
Shoutaro: "Are you dense? Are you retarded? I'm the God Damned Kamen Rider!!!"
-Kamen Rider W, as written by Frank Miller

Return to “Americanized stuff”