http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Mele, Moune, Sela
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Goseiger: Good, bad or meh?

Post by Makai_Knight »

It is getting better with episode 30 and onwards. But still there are better sentai series out there. Goseiger ist still better than Boukenger, IMO.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

This series is meh to me me. It's not a grand epic to me nor was it lame or "childish" like Go-Onger. It's in between so I don't really hate it either.
Lady Shinken Red
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Go-onger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Takeru

Post by Lady Shinken Red »

Goseiger is very dull and uninteresting since the first episode, not to mention the acting of the cast (the Professor aside).
ShinkenYellow8503
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger
Dreamy: Tani Chiaki
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Yong Bosch
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Doctor Who
Quote: "There is no such thing as coincidence, in this world there is only Hitsuzen."
~Yuko Ichihara from xxxHOLiC~

Post by ShinkenYellow8503 »

what i noticed about Goseiger as oppose to Shinkenger is that by the half way point, i didn't totally love the characters. half way threw Shinkenger, i loved all the characters, mostly Chiaki-kun. but Goseiger has grown on me and i do like it and i'm sad that the end is so near. i'll miss Goseiger but not as much as i miss Shinkenger. Goseiger has been fun and one wild ride, so i like it.
Once a Ranger
Always a Ranger
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Keep in mind, Goesiger had a hard act to follow. It just has a different theme and the fact that the protagonists are angels means its harder to reflect on their childhoods than other characters in the past. I quite enjoy it, and if anybody doesn't like it, they don't have to watch it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Overall, I think it's a good series (once you get past episode 16), but I think the main problem with it is that it feels like a mashup of several other sentai series. There's a definite overall Magiranger vibe, combined with the Shurikenger-ness of GoseiKnight, and occasionally some moments that remind me very much of Go-Onger. Not that this is bad, but I can't help but think of the other series when this happens, and that just makes Gosei fall flat to me.

It has the elements of an excellent show, but when you compare it to previous shows, it fails to shine. I like it better now than I did when it first came out, even if it is about as subtle as a brick to the face at times.
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

Lunagel wrote:Overall, I think it's a good series (once you get past episode 16), but I think the main problem with it is that it feels like a mashup of several other sentai series. There's a definite overall Magiranger vibe, combined with the Shurikenger-ness of GoseiKnight, and occasionally some moments that remind me very much of Go-Onger. Not that this is bad, but I can't help but think of the other series when this happens, and that just makes Gosei fall flat to me.

It has the elements of an excellent show, but when you compare it to previous shows, it fails to shine. I like it better now than I did when it first came out, even if it is about as subtle as a brick to the face at times.
Where do you get the Magiranger vibe? I love Magiranger because of the strong family ties between the team members and the amount of action and silliness that they were able to pull off well. I just don't get that from Gosei. Maybe now that my expectations have changed a bit I should go back and try to re-watch it. I gave up somewhere after the third enemy group came in. The show just couldn't keep my interest....
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

markoclix wrote:Where do you get the Magiranger vibe?
I dunno about Luna but, I always thought BladeRun really acts a lot like Vancuria. Switching to a new team everytime the past one dies off.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

The overall storyline is very similar to Magi as well as the cast of characters. Hell, even the different tiers of villains is similar to Magi's, though granted they only really had two. It also doesn't help that a lot of the sound effects were also used in Magi.
Darien_Shields
7X

Post by Darien_Shields »

I have to say I'm surprised by how many people say "Shinkenger was so great, Goseiger just didn't live up to it for me". I won't get into it, but I watched Shinkenger from start to end, and by the end I was not a fan.

Goseiger, on the other hand, I just don't know. I watched the start of the series and the heroes didn't "click" for me. Alata just seems kind of effeminate and weird. There's nothing wrong with a guy being effeminate, but he didn't strike me as a heroic leader. The addition of a kid to the cast also got on my nerves a little. In general, at the start of the series, it seemed like the Goseigers rarely had to try hard to win. Sometimes there would be an episode about one character, and then towards the end a completely different character would get a powerup totally out of the blue. I'm thinking of the Landick Brothers specifically. I don't mind sentai shilling toys all the time, but I like it when the heroes have to work for them, rather than just getting new ones whenever they need to sell something else.

I quite liked Buredoran from the start. There have been a fair few sentai series where I wound up liking the villains more than the heroes, and I think Goseiger definitely falls into that category. This is a little unrelated, but does anyone else think that the heroes, the rangers, often stay sort of static throughout the series? They get powerups but a lot of their character development is only nominal. The heroes are never going to die, and very rarely do they do something interesting like fall in love. The villains, on the other hand, have some bizarre freedom to grow and change as characters. More than once I've seen villains fall in love (one of the better points of Shinkenger), there have been a fair few heel face turns, grand plans and ambitions, and of course, death. Just a little thought.

Anyway, I wound up watching Goseiger intermittently. I watched the episode where they got the Miracle Headers and wasn't bowled over. I next watched some of the Matorintis stuff and while I liked Metal Alice I was disappointed to find out that Buredoran had bought it. I figured they'd just dumped his character completely.

But recently I decided to watch the run up to the end of Goseiger, and this *did* surprise me. There was some really, really great stuff in there and I love and it makes me wonder if I've just been missing out on high points of the series so far.

I'm not prepared to say whether the series as a whole is good, bad, or meh, but it looks like there were definitely some great moments in there... although I still don't really like the five main characters.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Darien_Shields wrote:although I still don't really like the five main characters.
I did not either, they just lacked the chemistry most main charaters had. They were just there, together, in a group. Where as most actors seemed comfortable in their roles and with their coworkers, these actors just seemed to preform. I guess if the main charaters had that chemistry this series would have been more enjoyable.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Everyone has different tastes personally. I for one did not enjoy Boukenger or Geki, but I love Go Onger.

Different strokes for different folks.
Phaiz
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz

Post by Phaiz »

to me, its just absolutely horrible. watched 17 eps now nd still couldnt get in to it. to me everyone is else are decet actors except for the goseired. to me hes like the worse actor ive ever seen nd that just completely turns me off instantly
Completed
KR Decade, KR Faiz, KR Blade and Shinkenger

Active
KR Den-O and KR Ryuki

Future
KR Den-O and Dekaranger
vick86
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
My boom: Supernatural

Post by vick86 »

Saw about five episodes of this before giving up. The three major problems with it is that the commercial aspects of it are just too much on the foreground, that it follows shinkenger and that it feels like just another Sentai show that simply exists ultimately being forgettable. Nothing new to see here it's been done (well after 35 years who can blame 'em). So on the meter of good, bad or meh. I'd say meh.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

I really truely think that the only way Goseiger could be a truely bad show is if the story did not have potential. There was potential there, we can see it more so closer to the end, but it just didn't reach those heights. Also I think hurting it was following Shinkenger, which I have met few people who did not like it.

Antics, there was less antics going on in Goseiger. Did anyone else notice this?

Return to “Tensou Sentai Goseiger”