A question, if I may.

Feel the power of Decade
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Kiva | Decade | W >
JSoup

A question, if I may.

Post by JSoup »

So, Decade is only the second Kamen Rider series I've finished so far. It was actually introduced to me by a friend (the same friend who got me into Kamen Rider in the first place), saying that it would be a good place to start. His thought was that if I see a Rider in Decade that interested me, that's an indication that I should watch some of that Riders series.

All that aside, I'm finding that much of the fandom dislikes Decade for this or that reason. And...well, being new the fandom and all, I can't really understand the reasons why. My question being, what are these reasons? I think it would benefit me as a fan to understand the dislike.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: A question, if I may.

Post by XIII »

till you watch the original versions and then compare the changes to the Decade version, you may understand some of the dislike about Decade,
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I liked Decade
JSoup

Post by JSoup »

Azazel wrote:till you watch the original versions and then compare the changes to the Decade version, you may understand some of the dislike about Decade,
That makes sense, don't know why that didn't occur to me right off the bat. Are Black and Black RX badasses in the original? Cause they came off rather damn awesome in Decade.
takenoko wrote:I liked Decade
I did too~
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Leonite Rider »

I liked Decade too.... especially Den-O's world, but that might be because it was the only Canon world.
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The criticisms about Decade also stems from the nature of Decade's journey. Many people didn't expect it to focus so much on celebrating past Riders.

Decade has a tendency to play ping pong with all of your expectations. Digging too deep to uncover the meaning behind Decade will just make your head hurt. As long as you can relax and enjoy the Kamen Ride, things are okay.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

JSoup wrote:Are Black and Black RX badasses in the original? Cause they came off rather damn awesome in Decade.
Believe me, some of the stuff they do in their own series pawns nearly everything in Decade in terms of badassery. SO WATCH THEM!!!

Some of the biggest complaints are 'Decade has no story', 'the plot is messed up and is sooo holey', and 'We never knew Narutaki's deal and his backstory'. Personally, only the last one really bothered me, and I kind of just shrug off everything else.

Others include
'Otoya is a bad guy!?'
'I can't believe the Bison Grongi got punked! HE FREAKING SMASHED KUUGA WITH HIS BIGASS HAMMER!!'
'The acting was HORRIBLE!!!'(I have to second these in certain worlds>_>)
'Why is Yuusuke so damn useless? He's supposed to be Kuuga, isn't he?'

etc etc...
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
darkhawk5
Train man
Favorite series: Doragon Bōru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Raidā
My boom: supa saiyajin!

Post by darkhawk5 »

In my opinion Decade was great- it wasn't supposed to be a deep story oriented series. It was fan-service, a "thank you" if you will, for enjoying the last 10 years of riders (well, and a bit of sentai and showa era thrown in for good measure xD).
DarkProject
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Quote: Fast like the wind,
Silent like a forest,
Intrusive like the fire,
Immobile like a mountain.
-Takeda Shingen

Post by DarkProject »

Decade was my first Kamen Rider, so I know how you're feeling.

The problem was that too many people had fond memories of the original versions, so they automatically hated the new versions. I suppose I might sympathize when WDecade comes out in 8 years, if they take my favorite Riders and put someone else in there.

However, the point of Decade was to celebrate the last 10 years of Kamen Rider. Having seen it, I can go back and watch any series I want without having the story spoiled. That was intentional, in my opinion. Even the Den-O arc, with not technically being an alternate universe, had nothing in it that would spoil me on Den-O.

So enjoy Decade, it's really fun. Then pick your favorite Rider you met along the way and watch him. Also, W is amazing.
JSoup

Post by JSoup »

Yeah, Kuuga....Decade made him look, well, weak as crap. Then I looked up clips and found him amazing, so I can feel the hate on that one.

But, ok, I think I see where the fan opinions are going. Thanks all, I think I've become a better fan already. :D
Raitaro
Post Monkey
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaoranger
Dreamy: Jasmine (DekaYellow)
Favorite Band: UVERworld
My boom: Dekaranger
Quote: Now Count Up Your Sins!-Kamen Rider W
Mind If I Reel You In?-Uratraros
F**k This Man I'm Going Into Anime-Nostailga Critic

Post by Raitaro »

my main problem with decade is that both au wataru and the origal wataru both appear in the series and theres no tendou but what i do like about the series is that he teams up with w and he started the movie war films
Active
KR- Hibiki OOO
SS- Zyuranger Carranger Timeranger Gokaiger
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

I can't believe nobody's mentioned how much of an asshole Tsukasa is yet. He went around all high and mighty, interfering in the business of other riders, being an all around dick to them, and then suddenly "Let's be friends!" "Okay!" *turns other rider into an accessory* I don't think I've ever seen a main rider with no redeeming qualities before or after Tsukasa. That and the lack of story direction just kind of killed it for me. Sure, there were some high spots. Kiva World was pretty good, Hibiki World was fantastic (even having the old actors reprise their roles, other than Hosokawa Shigeki as Hibiki and the kids), Shinkenger World was a cool crossover, and RX world was simply awesome (especially having Kurata Tetsuo revise his role as Minami Kotaro from all those years ago). But overall the series just didn't know what it was trying to do and again, Tsukasa came off as not having any redeeming character traits to balance out his dickishness. Unlike most people, though, I don't think it ruined the other riders. 'Cept maybe Kuuga. They were nice alternate interpretations of the characters, and that was cool.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It was a cash in series. I enjoyed it for the most part, revisiting other worlds was good memories. Lots of people were not happy it deviated so much from the original worlds though.
Raitaro
Post Monkey
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaoranger
Dreamy: Jasmine (DekaYellow)
Favorite Band: UVERworld
My boom: Dekaranger
Quote: Now Count Up Your Sins!-Kamen Rider W
Mind If I Reel You In?-Uratraros
F**k This Man I'm Going Into Anime-Nostailga Critic

Post by Raitaro »

Raitaro wrote:my main problem with decade is that both au wataru and the origal wataru both appear in the series and theres no tendou but what i do like about the series is that he teams up with w and he started the movie war films
im not saying i didnt like Decade it was one of my favorite series but some of the AU worlds plots were terrible and there wasnt enough character devolopment with Tsukasa and he could have traveled to more riders worlds.
Active
KR- Hibiki OOO
SS- Zyuranger Carranger Timeranger Gokaiger
JSoup

Post by JSoup »

Anyone else have that problem where you watch one Kamen Rider and hear the soundFX from a different series in the back of your head? I'm watching Ryuki right now and I swear, every time he whips out his sword I hear "ATTACK RIDER: SWORD VENT" in my mind.

And I notice that as good as Dragon Knight is, I just can't get used to hearing Kamen Rider pronounced the way it is in that show.

Return to “Kamen Rider Decade”