Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

A real story about Power Rangers

Post by takenoko »

So a couple weeks ago, my co-worker suddenly turned toward me and said that she really liked Power Rangers as a kid. She had recently given birth, so it was commonplace for us to revisit nostalgic aspects of our childhoods

Anyway, this was the perfect opportunity for me to mention that Power Rangers uses footage from a Japanese show. She wikied it and confirmed it, was slightly amazed. I also mentioned my group was planning on subbing it, which she didn't react to, I mean, why would she, that statement probably makes no sense without context

So the following week I brought in the cover for ZyuRanger DVD one. It was kind of fun to watch her go "oh cool, I recognize all these guys", referring to a collage of villains on the back. This is why I was lamenting the lack of Japanese actors on the DVD covers (there are no Japanese people except for Bandora, and people here would probably recognize her as Rita). Then I thought to pull out the DVD insert, which thankfully does have the actors and some info on the monsters, which I showed her.

Anyway, I told her again that my group that I work for was planning on translating it, and she was like "Oh cool, you guys should totally do that." And we shall, someday! Again!

Also, one thing I kind of realized while talking about this with her, do you guys remember the second season of Power Rangers, how Rita comes back? I guess she got a face lift thing because they had to switch out the actress so that she could be in the scene with the new villain. I just thought that was funny since you don't realize it's a different actress as a kid (I mean, the costume is pretty all-covering, and frankly most faces kind of look the same)
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Re: A real story about Power Rangers

Post by DrowningFishy »

I think I just burst some very valuable brain cells trying to remember that far back. I think power rangers might be still playing on Hulu; do I dare check this out? :ponders:
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

How about watching it on the Power Rangers website? Yeah, so did you give her a due date for when these subs would be released? :V
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

2 years
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

takenoko wrote:2 years
That's great. Is this the only person you told that you sub Japanese TV shows at work or have a customer ever brought up something similar.
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I only bring it up if it seems relevant. Bringing it up to people who don't really understand what it kind of is beforehand just seems to bore them, so I try not to do that anymore
GolgoThirteen
Gao
Favorite series: Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Chuck Norris
Favorite Band: Drake

Post by GolgoThirteen »

I never tell anybody Im into geeky shit, they sort of find out when they come in my ManCave and see a bookshelf full of comic books and my completed collection of Dragonball and Smallville DVD's lined up, lol. And if I happen to turn on my PS3 to watch a movie wit a chick, she might see a big ass ShinkenRed wallpaper blasted across my 50 inch TV, (either that or a naked picture of Halle Berry from Swordfish, lol).
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

takenoko wrote:Also, one thing I kind of realized while talking about this with her, do you guys remember the second season of Power Rangers, how Rita comes back? I guess she got a face lift thing because they had to switch out the actress so that she could be in the scene with the new villain. I just thought that was funny since you don't realize it's a different actress as a kid (I mean, the costume is pretty all-covering, and frankly most faces kind of look the same)
I came to that realization a long time ago. XD Once I knew where Power Rangers came from, then saw that episode on, it all made sense. I never really noticed much difference in the actress, since she was wearing a lot of makeup regardless.
Kaheraji
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kaheraji »

As a kid, I knew Rita getting a makeover was to explain a new actress, but I wasn't aware of the reason why until years later.

Though, oddly, it was with the original villain Lord Zedd that I first noticed reused footage for the villains.
JCLegendary
Adventure

Post by JCLegendary »

Even as an adult, I don't see much of a difference after switching out Rita's actors. The American suit is a little different, yeah, but they face just doesn't strike me. The problems with Squat and Goldar's costumes are much more glaring. They clearly blew the costume budget on Lord Zedd.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

@GolgoThirteen
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:07 am
I never tell anybody Im into geeky shit, they sort of find out when they come in my ManCave and see a bookshelf full of comic books and my completed collection of Dragonball and Smallville DVD's lined up, lol. And if I happen to turn on my PS3 to watch a movie wit a chick, she might see a big ass ShinkenRed wallpaper blasted across my 50 inch TV, (either that or a naked picture of Halle Berry from Swordfish, lol).
I know how you feel, I let my geeky side show and potential dates shy away and say "Arn't most girls into makeup and stuffed animals." Unlike you I am done trying to hide that side of me, and I will dump a guy if he is not tolerable of it... Probably why I have not dated in a LONG time too. XD
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Heh, I never noticed the difference in actress on Rita way back then. *has very, very, VERY limited recollection of the first three seasons* The only thing that my sister and I knew - no questions asked - was that much of the stock footage had to have come from Japan.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The footage was from before the advent of digital TV broadcasts so it was easier to hide the differences due to fuzzy picture quality.

I always wondered why nobody commented about Rita's costume. You had to pay close attention to recognize that Rita's costume had the pointy bra/breasplate because it was black with some gold trim. Even Madonna would've been hesitant to wear that thing because it could've poked an eye out. Somehow this costume eluded the watchful gaze of overreacting parents.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, but that sort of thing is kind of lowered in the fact that Rita is A) Kind of cartoonish B) Not meant to be womanly in any way. It's kind of like Sue wearing the Madonna bra on Glee since she's not supposed to be a sexy character to begin with
JSoup

Post by JSoup »

I remember noticing that the actors voice had changed a bit when I was a kid, but it never crossed my mind, for some reason, that it might be a different actor. :lol:

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”