Kamen rider Helmets

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
hunter-urufu
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: If it cannot hatch from its shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World.

Kamen rider Helmets

Post by hunter-urufu »

Okay, so I have been watching the past few Kamen rider Series (Starting with Kiva, but have been archive binging my way through Kabuto) And something I noticed has me curious. Almost all the kamen rider helmets/masks/what ever, have a jewel-looking thing in the center of the foreheads, or somewhere in the middle of the design, (Double's was the red gem at the point of the double-W shaped crest, Kiva's is between the tongs/ears of the bat design that includes the eyes, Etc.) Do these serve any real purpose? A camera maybe? Or are they purely decorative, and if they are, why do practically all the modern (Heisei) Riders have them. And if they serve a purpose, why don't the sentai rangers helmets/masks have them as well?

Edit: I checked and all the riders, (Main/Title riders) except Hibiki (Has a dragon face in the spot where it would be,) and maybe Den-O (Couldn't tell, I think I remember seeing it, but didn't looking now) Have them.
Last edited by hunter-urufu on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a shadow....The true self....Knowledge is a burden for the strong...So what is your truth?

The dark bird who sees the truth from the cloud of the shadow! The All-knowing mind! Geki-Wing!
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W / Kuuga
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Kikkawa Koji
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Ultimate

Re: Kamen rider Helmets

Post by Xander Blaze »

propably cameras, though I was curious to. From all we know in Decade's spin-off, we can't really see through the helmets' eyes and the suit actors have to see through a little gap in the middle. I think the eyes and that "thing" on the forehead are neon lights.
天の道を往き、総てを司る!
Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko!
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule over everything!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Disappeared since the end of Kamen Rider OOO
hunter-urufu
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Quote: If it cannot hatch from its shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World.

Post by hunter-urufu »

Xander Blaze wrote:propably cameras, though I was curious to. From all we know in Decade's spin-off, we can't really see through the helmets' eyes and the suit actors have to see through a little gap in the middle. I think the eyes and that "thing" on the forehead are neon lights.
I've never seen them light up. Maybe they're some sort of thing for digital tracking, like the white balls on a motion capture suit, though that doesn't explain why the sentai rangers don't have them.

On the other hand, most sentai teams have SOMETHING there, Goseiger's gold symbol, etc, and Hibiki has that silly looking dragon face instead, so *Shrug*.
I am a shadow....The true self....Knowledge is a burden for the strong...So what is your truth?

The dark bird who sees the truth from the cloud of the shadow! The All-knowing mind! Geki-Wing!
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

hunter-urufu wrote: On the other hand, most sentai teams have SOMETHING there, Goseiger's gold symbol, etc, and Hibiki has that silly looking dragon face instead, so *Shrug*..
Probably just design aesthetics to make them look good.

Hibiki riders had an oni/demon face on their forehead. In some instances the face enlarge and cover their helmet like Shuki's.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The jewel is a traditional part of the mask since the original Kamen Rider. Traditionally it's called the 0 Signal, although it's called the O Quartz in OOO, the Terminal Eye in W, Signal Pointer in Decade, Access Signal for IXA (it's not listed for Kiva on the official page as far as I can tell) etc...
hunter-urufu
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by hunter-urufu »

takenoko wrote:The jewel is a traditional part of the mask since the original Kamen Rider. Traditionally it's called the 0 Signal, although it's called the O Quartz in OOO, the Terminal Eye in W, Signal Pointer in Decade, Access Signal for IXA (it's not listed for Kiva on the official page as far as I can tell) etc...
Huh. So does it actually DO anything (As in, in the setting.) I could see on a tech based rider like IXA it serving as a sort of IR port for data or some such, but on a more magic based rider, like Kiva, I see less reason. But hey, you learn something new everyday

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

As Take said, it's just a design aesthetic that has been carried across most of the rider costumes. They attempt to give it an official name in each series, but I think its just for show.
Raitaro
Post Monkey
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaoranger
Dreamy: Jasmine (DekaYellow)
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Favorite Band: UVERworld
My boom: Dekaranger
Quote: Now Count Up Your Sins!-Kamen Rider W
Mind If I Reel You In?-Uratraros
F**k This Man I'm Going Into Anime-Nostailga Critic

Post by Raitaro »

the o signal as its sometimes called is just for show its been around since the showa riders so they sometimes put it in new riders designs like W
Active
KR- Hibiki OOO
SS- Zyuranger Carranger Timeranger Gokaiger
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W / Kuuga
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Kikkawa Koji
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Ultimate

Post by Xander Blaze »

Maybe they are infra-red :P
Though I'd seen the neon-lights on the eyes lights up in Kuuga and W
Must be very uncomfortable for the suit actors
天の道を往き、総てを司る!
Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko!
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule over everything!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Disappeared since the end of Kamen Rider OOO
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

hunter-urufu wrote:Huh. So does it actually DO anything (As in, in the setting.) I could see on a tech based rider like IXA it serving as a sort of IR port for data or some such, but on a more magic based rider, like Kiva, I see less reason. But hey, you learn something new everyday
V3's O Signal supposedly let him record and analyze battle data, but I don't know about any others.
andyreal
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Iwashimizu Luna
Favorite Actor?: Miura Ryousuke
Favorite Band: Aqua Timez
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Ore Sanjou
Quote: Finish what you leaved undone

Post by andyreal »