Forum rules
Wiki Link

< W | OOO | Fourze >
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Maki and his doll?

Post by OOOKaiser »

I'm sorry but I have to ask this. What's with Maki and his creepy looking doll? I know his abusive sister gave to him but why does he still keep it? Could anyone answer this for me? I would be most happy if someone did.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Maki and his doll?

Post by takenoko »

I think it's a representation of the beautiful older sister that exists in his mind
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

takenoko wrote:I think it's a representation of the beautiful older sister that exists in his mind
Thanks
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

Seriously, Gotou needs to shoot that thing of his shoulder. It only takes one stray Cell medal bullet. Each episode I hope they blast that doll to smithereens.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

But if Gotou did that, Maki will probably go berserk and transform into a Greeed faster than expected and kill everyone around him.
Nice job breaking it, hero.
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

ShadowX7 wrote:But if Gotou did that, Maki will probably go berserk and transform into a Greeed faster than expected and kill everyone around him.
Nice job breaking it, hero.

... ... Wow, now that would be a way to end a series.

BTW I found out who the dolls dad is.
Spoiler

::whistels::
Kamen Rider
Gabu
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
My boom: Gaim
Quote: おばあちゃんはこう言ってた。天の道を行き、総てを司る男………俺の名は天道総司

Post by Kamen Rider »

So if Maki freaks out and starts having a seizure everytime the doll is knocked away by force, then all they have to do is whack the doll away, making Maki have a seizure, and kill him....simple as that :D
KiRider93
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: DaiRanger
Dreamy: Saki Royama
Favorite Actor?: David Tennant
Favorite Band: Whitesnake
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Toku, Gaming, Dr Who

Post by KiRider93 »

I hope this is the right place to ask but I'm a bit concerned about Maki being a villain. Because of the obsession he has with his doll, it kinda gives me the impression that he has OCD or some form of mental illness and I think it's wrong to portray people like that in a bad way. Sorry if this is another s*** reply coming from me.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm not really seeing any particular elements of OCD, the doll just kinda stands in for his sister

And to be frankly honest the Japanese are pretty bad about recognizing/treating mental illness so if you think it's directed at OCD, it's probably your imagination.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

KiRider93 wrote:I hope this is the right place to ask but I'm a bit concerned about Maki being a villain. Because of the obsession he has with his doll, it kinda gives me the impression that he has OCD or some form of mental illness and I think it's wrong to portray people like that in a bad way. Sorry if this is another s*** reply coming from me.
As far as I've seen, Maki isn't intended to be a sufferer of any mental illness; He's just a creepy old man with emotional baggage from his family.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

Some people interpreted that Maki treated that doll as a kind of 'trophy' that he obtained from that incident, something he earned from his action of killing his sister. He always keep it with him and he is devastated if anything happened to that 'trophy'.

To be honest, I think it is to the show's credit(and the actor's credit) that people are so creeped out by Maki and the doll. The show elicited an emotional response from the viewers, even if the emotion is utter hate and disgust. Or curiosity.
KiRider93 wrote:I hope this is the right place to ask but I'm a bit concerned about Maki being a villain. Because of the obsession he has with his doll, it kinda gives me the impression that he has OCD or some form of mental illness and I think it's wrong to portray people like that in a bad way. Sorry if this is another s*** reply coming from me.

I really liked your opinion that it's wrong to portray certain kinds of people in a bad way. But, yeah, I myself think that Maki has some kind of mental problems or illness, and those problems lead to his actions in the series(not just his obsession with the doll).
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
KiRider93
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: DaiRanger
Dreamy: Saki Royama
Favorite Actor?: David Tennant
Favorite Band: Whitesnake
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Toku, Gaming, Dr Who

Post by KiRider93 »

Thanks for the feedback, I just hope Toei's somewhat aware of mentally ill people because this is is a company that made classic Tokusatsu during the 70s to 90s in which I love but if the same company made a show, in the KR franchise, where a mentally ill person is a villain I kinda feel a bit betrayed because I'm on the autistic spectrum and I know people that have the same kind of thing, some more severe.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Okay, there's no way for me to say this without sounding like an asshole but I will anyway.

I agree with you that no one should be made a villain if their physical/mental characteristics are only used in a derogatory or insulting fashion. For example, you wouldn't cast a guy in a wheelchair as the villain and then spend the entire show/movie saying all people who use wheelchairs are evil. You shouldn't make a movie where someone does something and the only explanation for their actions is "ehh, he's mentally ill". That is bad writing and most definitely insulting to the target audience and the group being portrayed.

However, expecting someone to give you a free pass just because you have a physical/mental illness smacks of elitism. "Oh, you have to be nice to me, I'm disabled/black/a woman/mentally ill" is just an excuse. Of course these people deserve more consideration, but to the point of removing them from all villainous roles? Media would get really old really fast if only healthy white men could be the villains.

I don't see Maki as having OCD, but even if he did, he's still a cool character. Don't you think children might see that and think "Woah, he's got the same illness as me/a friend and he's amazing! He's trying to take over the world! How cool!" The villains are often the most interesting and most complex characters a show/movie can have, and as long as their shortcomings are portrayed in a realistic fashion, I would think it would be more empowering to the people who have those problems.

tl;dr as long as they don't become a stereotype, it's more interesting to have characters with flaws.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

Lunagel wrote:Okay, there's no way for me to say this without sounding like an asshole but I will anyway.
That's not being an asshole, it's a completely logical idea.

I've seen the OOO movies just a few days ago (I had some stuff piled up) and they did add a bit of jokes/scenes related to the doll.

He's nihilistic (not exaclty 'evil'), a scientist, and he has a few particular aspects that makes him less bland, more interesting and that nails him in memory (he has an uncommon car, sometimes wears out of contest clothes and is overly attached to a doll).
He is an interesting character with his own personality.

If you take one aspect and decide it's the most important and defining one, then it's your view on the subject that comes into play.

Down on the same line, in KR 555 there's a black guy in a group of stronger-than-average enemies.
Having non-Japanese looking actors in general is something really rare in a KR/SS serie (I think it's the only one I've seen till now, other than a glimpse in Magiranger) and he's evil. He also have a tiny dog.

They're not trying to enforce the idea "black guys are evil and overly attached to small dogs".
Thinking like that would be silly (and racist, in this particular case) because you would be generalizing and putting all black people together, as if they were all the same (and different from you, else it wouldn't work ).

So, a guy is mentally ill/black/blonde/homosexual or wears an eye-patch/a hat or likes popcicle. Then?
That's not the fundation of the character, his potential nor his goal, it's just an aspect.
Since such people exist, it would be silly to avoid them for specific roles.

If you look at it this way, you would find it offensive if it was the other way around.

Just my 2 cents, I thought the scenes involving him were the redeeming feature for the 'evil side' since the ones with the Greeds basically have the same line over and over.

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”