Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 30 released

Post by takenoko »

The writers kind of fooled me when Luka asked the kids if they were a part of Liveman. At first you think, "What? That's dumb. Those are kids. You're dumb, Luka." But then she goes "Is there some rule that kids can't transform?" and you just have to go, "Fair point. You win that one."
Edit: Wait, you're supposed to be looking for someone who is good at skateboarding. You saw that kid fall down.

Man, there's something that really hits you when you hear Gai say that these guys were fighting before he was born. Unfortunately, Liveman fought between 88-89, so I was alive when they were fighting. I'm an old man.

Haha at green for throwing a rock at the grunts.

I liked the sound effects used when they're in Liveman form.

Interesting how we see Joe do Sid's move, and then we see it on a screen and we see that Sid is watching.

Man, the backdrop with the setting sun is pretty great during the robot battle. I feel a little teased that Joe doesn't confront Barizorg, but I guess that won't happen until the episode where that conflict is resolved.

Trivia:

According to the wiki, Zaien gets his name from SCIENtist.

Jou uses an idiom that's kind of interesting. "Mukashi totta kinezuka" which literally means "I used to wield a mallet handle..." but in general it appears to just mean "I have some experience with this from the past". It would have been amazing if he used to wield a hammer weapon or something though.

昔取った杵柄で,まだ若い者には負けない
Using my experience from the past, I can still keep up with young people.
昔取った杵柄でチェスはできる
Though I'm long out of practice, I can still play chess

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Gokaiger 30 released

Post by Catastrophe »

The power is summoning the first ever double combined robot? I'm down with that, always had a spot for Liveman, and I'm glad they touched on the whole loosing your humanity/friends thing, and managed to tie it into the main plot as well.
griffinguy24
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, KRW
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Jaguars (cats)

Post by griffinguy24 »

Breaking my usual lurking to say that this episode was AWESOME. And that's not just because I love Liveman and Oohara Jou's my favorite of them...

While I admit it was quite fun seeing Super Live Robo once more, part of me wishes they'd gone a bit more meta with that and use that Grand Power to become Kanzen Gokaioh.

If it's any consolation, I too felt old when Gai mentioned Liveman fought before he was born (Granted, I was still a toddler when Liveman aired, but I WAS alive...)
Jou uses an idiom that's kind of interesting. "Mukashi totta kinezuka" which literally means "I used to wield a mallet handle..." but in general it appears to just mean "I have some experience with this from the past". It would have been amazing if he used to wield a hammer weapon or something though.

昔取った杵柄で,まだ若い者には負けない
Using my experience from the past, I can still keep up with young people.
昔取った杵柄でチェスはできる
Though I'm long out of practice, I can still play chess
So, basically, it's the Japanese version of the English "Just like riding a bicycle" idiom?
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger

Post by jolly_old_saint »

I was born while liveman was airing, meaning...I've become the perfect Dr. Obler?

...Yeah, episode 20. I went there. I've seen three out-of-place episodes and that one stands out.

...So Cyber Sid Vicious had two fully functioning eyes. That had to be established, huh.

Does it count as a robot if it just kinda slides forward?

Cameo theme song. Righteous.

Cameo skateboarder. Radical. Save for camera angles killing his punches.

Fievel singing somewhere out there at the end. Weird, but okay.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Haha, holy shit, the energy butterflies. That whole scene with Jou connecting to Joe was heartbreaking.

Some tribute episodes fall flat, or I don't quite get them. This one, though... damn. I've only ever seen the opening for Liveman and it worked wonderfully.

And hey, Yellow Lion aged better than Red Falcon had for Gaoranger VS Super Sentai. Good job da!
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

jolly_old_saint wrote:I was born while liveman was airing, meaning...I've become the perfect Dr. Obler?

...Yeah, episode 20. I went there. I've seen three out-of-place episodes and that one stands out.

...So Cyber Sid Vicious had two fully functioning eyes. That had to be established, huh.

Does it count as a robot if it just kinda slides forward?

Cameo theme song. Righteous.

Cameo skateboarder. Radical. Save for camera angles killing his punches.

Fievel singing somewhere out there at the end. Weird, but okay.
Does anyone know what this guy is actually talking about?
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

I thought Super Live Robo being the Grand Power was kind of fitting since Liveman was the very first super sentai to have a combination between the Primary and Secondary mecha. Also, I liked how Joe calmly deflected the fireballs using only his sword!
the_imposter
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger
Favorite Band: Casting Crowns
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Maths
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by the_imposter »

Thought the episode was good overall and sort of resolved the tension between Barizorg and Joe but I really hope they don't go the route of "the Power of Love can do the impossible" because that would really not work after all this tension's been built up around the fact that Joe can't bring Sid back. Super Live Robo was pretty kl and a very good reproduction in CG, I hope we get to see more of it as a Grand Power soon rather than some where they become underused.

Gai's little dance when Super Live Robo appeared was really funny though and it was a bit unexpected which made it all the better.

Am hoping the final resolution to the Arc with Barizorg is as good as this episode at developing it, too often you get a lot of development of tension and so on only to be completely dashed by a sub par final resolution so let's hope that it'll go slightly better than that.
Insert Witty Quote Here
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by remolay »

The most I've seen about Liveman before today was the suits, and I loved how this turned out

I'm actually a little disappointed that the Super Live Robo doesn't combine with the GokaiOh, Even better if it combined whith GouJyu GokaiOh, but I understand why they did it the way they did. Anywaiy, Here's my thoughts of the rest of it, in order:

Gai smugly saying he doesn't know where to find Yellow Lion was nice, but why does Doc always have to get pushed around.

Warazu dancing to his health made me laugh out loud, and I mean really laugh out loud

Yeah, Liveman fought before I was born, too. Same with Jetman, Zyuranger, Dairanger and, Kakuranger. Although that last one was by a small amount. Children can not be livemen.

Man, Yellow Lion looks young. AND can kick ass.

Zien plans to mass produce Baizorg. This too is Decade's fault.

Oh, so we can have Joe meet Jou, but Gai can't meet Gai? God dammit Toei!

Gold Mode actually used for fighting, who knew that would happen again?

With every deflection of fireballs I heard "Like a boss" in my head. It was quite amusing.

And Joe using Cid's move, I was tempted to stop watching right after that because I felt like I didn't need to see the Grand Power.

And now, NEXT TIME!
Spoiler
Huh, I guess the rumour I heard was correct, but I never expected Basco to be selling grand powers.
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

09MurphyM wrote:Does anyone know what this guy is actually talking about?
Life. Saint is wisdomous and his words should be heeded.

Also, I like the butterfly throwback to the OP/symbolising the lost friends. Given LiveMan had a bleak tone, this was pretty cool.
SirJokaPlaya
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by SirJokaPlaya »

Gokaiger is more and more fun to watch. You got episodes that is complete comedy (CarRanger tribute), and you got episodes that make you go, Damn, that is real Super Sentai with the Liveman Tribute.

Personally, this is a weird request, but Toei has to be making a gold mine with these tribute shows. I hope that maybe they can use some of the old robos in battle. I dunno about you but I'd love to see Daizyujin and Abaren-oh battle together or even TurboRobo and RV Robo. Hell, Muteki Shogun and Senpuujin. I think the sky is the limit because to me, none of the episodes are dull or boring.

One thing that bothers me. Gekiranger tribute and Jetman tribute didn't use their themes. Why? All the others used them. I thought that was a bad decision.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

I found that bit with Gai at the beginning far funnier than I probably should have. Something about the smug look on his face as he said "I don't know" just had me in stitches. :lol:

I knew a little about Liveman already because I was curious one day as to what show was airing when I was born, and looked it up. It was Liveman, so I kinda had an idea as to why Gai was pulling Luka off the side when she approached that kid.

A great episode in general, I was a little disappointed that Ohara Joe didn't transform, especially after watching him kick so much butt. Am I mistaken, or was that the actor himself, not a double?
09MurphyM wrote:Does anyone know what this guy is actually talking about?
I get it... some of it, at least.
jolly_old_saint wrote:I was born while liveman was airing, meaning...I've become the perfect Dr. Obler?
Dr. Obler was a villain and Joe's rival on Liveman. There might be some relevance to this statement, but having never seen Liveman, I can't say.
jolly_old_saint wrote:Does it count as a robot if it just kinda slides forward?
This one is obvious, he's talking about the fact that the Liveman robot didn't move it's limbs at all, which is something I noticed as well. I fully agree with him, it was pretty stupid looking, not to mention that it felt pretty tacked on.
jolly_old_saint wrote:Fievel singing somewhere out there at the end. Weird, but okay.
The last bit of the episode is sort of like the music video for Somewhere Out There (a song from An American Tail, starring Fievel the mouse), with Joe and Barizorg both looking up at the night sky. It's probably on YouTube if you want to see for yourself.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

SirJokaPlaya wrote:
Personally, this is a weird request, but Toei has to be making a gold mine with these tribute shows. I hope that maybe they can use some of the old robos in battle. I dunno about you but I'd love to see Daizyujin and Abaren-oh battle together or even TurboRobo and RV Robo. Hell, Muteki Shogun and Senpuujin. I think the sky is the limit because to me, none of the episodes are dull or boring.
I don't see any reason why they couldn't. Toei has all of those old robot suits in their museum. Unless some of the older ones have deteriorated with age, they probably could just dust them off and use them again.
SirJokaPlaya wrote:One thing that bothers me. Gekiranger tribute and Jetman tribute didn't use their themes. Why? All the others used them. I thought that was a bad decision.
What names?

The names of the shows? No, they're both in there. "Jetman" is mentioned several times, and one of Jyan's students tells the Gokaiger that he was Gekired of Gekiranger.

The names of the heroes are in there too, I don't get what you're saying.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

Damn, this was a really good episode. I loved the drama. It is a good development on Joe as a character. What is fun is that this episode is all about Barizorg and he doesn't even act in it. The only thing he does is stand there and the camera zooms in and out.

Why do they still use the Huricane Gokai-Oh? It sucks. Shinken Gokai-Oh is a lot better, please bring that one back.
takenoko wrote:Man, there's something that really hits you when you hear Gai say that these guys were fighting before he was born. Unfortunately, Liveman fought between 88-89, so I was alive when they were fighting. I'm an old man.
Damn, now you are making me feel old.

>>> The names of the heroes are in there too, I don't get what you're saying.

I think he means the musical score during the fights. Although I cannot be certain as I have not been paying too much attention to it.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Niek wrote: Why do they still use the Huricane Gokai-Oh? It sucks. Shinken Gokai-Oh is a lot better, please bring that one back.
I've never seen something so incorrect before.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”