Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

OOO Special CD-Box review

Post by takenoko »

So I got that this week. Every year this is a big thing for me, since I don't listen to MP3's or youtube uploads of the in-series songs, I always look forward to hearing the full versions.

My first reaction was kind of a downer. When I opened the box, I found a strange filler box which had "Anything Goes! Ballad" with 10/19 on the back. "So I pay the equivalent of $90 for this CD box and it's not even complete?! You guys are pulling a Double Action Wing Form again?!" I mean, it's like DLC, it's nice that there's more content and that they made room in the box for it, but it comes off as a dick move to be slipping an ad for your product and not include it in the first place. I dunno.

So on to the songs. I really like the Tajador one. The over the top religious slant and the double actionesque harmony between Eiji and Ankh were pretty good. I also like Ankh's singing voice better than Eiji's. The other combo song that I really liked with Putotyra's song. Again, it did a good job matching Eiji and Kushida Akira's singing. Oh wait, I also liked Sagouzo's song. It was just really kind of powerful sounding with the halting pacing.

I mean, to give context, I guess I didn't know that Eiji sung all the songs? I just assumed the Sentai robo theme song singer would be doing them since you hear him so prominently during the show. I reached into my mind and thought about how Kiva's music was mostly Wataru, and I really don't recall thinking all his songs were the same sounding like this. I don't know if it's because Wataru's actor was a better singer or if the OOO songs are limited by the established composition, but aside from the ones I mentioned, they just seemed really forgettable to me for the most part.

And... I didn't really like any of the other combo songs. They really all just sounded the same. Eiji being autotuned while Kushida or others yelled over him. It just seemed like there was no personality to the songs.

Back to songs I liked, Birth's song was excellent. Date and Gotou sounded really good together and it was a well-put together song.

Finally, this is dumb and has been said a million times before, but it's amusing how the song names sound like English versions of the Combo names.

I'll check out disc 2 and the DVD later.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: OOO Special CD-Box review

Post by Catastrophe »

The Birth songs are definitely my favourite. I liked them so much, I made a version that is the Gotou version overlayed with the Date version, so both are singing all the lines at the same time, and a reverse version where they sing the opposite lines than in the normal version. Its a sweet song.

Shout Out is weak. Maybe because it didn't appear in the series (as far as I recall), so I don't really have any attraction to it. Sun Goes Up really doesn't do anything for me either. The rest are okay.
NeoStorm

Post by NeoStorm »

Catastrophe wrote:The Birth songs are definitely my favourite. I liked them so much, I made a version that is the Gotou version overlayed with the Date version, so both are singing all the lines at the same time, and a reverse version where they sing the opposite lines than in the normal version. Its a sweet song.

Shout Out is weak. Maybe because it didn't appear in the series (as far as I recall), so I don't really have any attraction to it. Sun Goes Up really doesn't do anything for me either. The rest are okay.
Oh you did?! Can you post it or something?
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

OOO Combo Change Medley was great I love how they mixed all the songs into 5 minutes.
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

I liked Ride on Right Time. It felt very Kazari. I could see him rapping alongside Eiji, fighting for the spotlight. Same with the Combo Change melody. It gave a strong impression of Kazari and Uva fighting each other in the series. With a brief injection of Maki and Gamel giving way to a quarrel between Mezool and Ankh that never happened on-screen. Then everyone loses to Maki and a climax that shows that OOO untimately possesses every combo.

Got To Keep It Real was meh. Wish they'd called it Got To Keep It Up. It doesn't really reflect GataKiriBa very well. It does work with Uva's cockroach-esque, unyielding desire to continue on. And I guess GataKiriBa's supposed to be the strongest combo , but we just never saw it much.

Shout Out? Come on, Show Time would have been nice here. I like the female vocals and Eiji's relaxed lyrics. It's actually a really good Rider song all around. But ShaUTa barely appears and the song never plays when it does, so I have no attachment to it. What a waste.

Sun Goes Up is pretty much perfect. It's so primal and simple. It captures SaGoZo and Gamel in one stroke. I wish Gamel's actor did a duet here. I could probably link "save morning from the scary night" to Mezool and Gamel, but then apparently the sun gets destroyed. Damn you, OOO!

Time Judged All...so good! The chanting ist vunderbar und ich liebe die Duos. It's really awesome in the classical sense. Shame that they felt the need to add the J-boy slow time to the middle to amp up the appeal. Does anyone understand the OOO dialogue version? It just seems like they're flirting, but I can't tell if anything relevant's being said.

Power to Tearer...this is hard to sing in English. Too many syllables! Disregarding the need to say Tearer like Terror, the speed necessitates merging the "to" occasionally, leaving Powered Terror. And occasionally Akira seems to leave the Pu too vague, so we get ToTyrannosarus. Lyric-wise, it kind of captures the power of the invincible combo. "The destroyer can protect if I can control it" and whatnot. If they'd made a few more negative statements, Maki's actor could have duetted this and we could have Akira singing Tighten Up instead.

Speaking of it, Regret Nothing ~ Tighten Up is my clear-cut favourite. Not sure what that Regret Nothing's doing there, though. It fits the theme better, but it removes the rightful Tighten Up/TaToBa pun. It's clearly a monologue from Eiji, going into really dark places while staying upbeat. I wish we could have heard it more on the show. "If there's a light going out in front of me, I want to protect it with my hands" really foreshadows his desire of wanting to extend his hands to anyone and justifies him using the first TaToBa when the episode starts. That's when the song should have played. You really get how that girl's death still haunts him. Still, Eiji dispenses sage advice like "if you're scared, smile" and "if you have courage, be ignorant!" In other words, it's a song that encapsulates TaToBa, Eiji and OOO altogether. It's a Rider song and one that I'll remember after all the other OOO songs have faded from memory.

By the way, each song ends with the singers singing the combo name instead of the song title except for Tighten Up. And the movie form's song, but that didn't come with the set. I'm probably going to get it and stick it where the Ballad's supposed to go, since it's just the opening slowed down and re-recorded.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Time Judged All...so good! Does anyone understand the OOO dialogue version? It just seems like they're flirting, but I can't tell if anything relevant's being said.

It's just dialogue from the show that highlights Eiji and Ankh's relationship.
nini5
Gao
Favorite series: kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: super sentai
Dreamy: marvelous
Favorite Actor?: too many to tell
Favorite Band: depends on the song
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: internet
Quote: I may not know what I want,but I know what I don't want!

Post by nini5 »

Will you be subbing the music videos from OOO.I'm really looking forward to "Time judged all" in particular.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”