My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 27 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Oh, all those colorful dots were flasks

That door... it's like... a snake eating its own tail...

Wait, hold it. Why are you there Wind during Ichinose's transformation cards?

Um, what's the building behind the heroes when they transform? A church with an X on the top?

Yay, they['re letting the wonder twins participate in this fight. The sisters too

Gotta love Majade's kicks

Oh, and the two distracting Geryon to reveal Valvarad is sniping him is pretty funny too

What a surprise, the two halves become one

Oh no, Gotchard penishands has limited movements for some reason

Wait, aren't you Isaac, Sabi? Come to think about it, why does his voice AI have its own name

I wish Majade had a fencing saber

Oh shit, Geryon ripped the Gotchardriver off like it wasn't attached to anything at all!

Minato's actor looks like he genuinely has been crying

Geryon really is king midas

Where'd the sisters go? oh okay

Was there supposed to be a sound effect there?

I looked at Skebows the wrong way last week, so now I can't unsee it as a giant shrimp

Oh, that's a neat trick with Isaac

Oh, they turned Hopper1 into some weird alien thing...

Oh, it's the train station

What, he has a little visor?

Oh, it's just a new Gotchard form. FOr some reason I thought he looked hecka different. Still, if this is Gotchard's ultimate form, it's pretty nice. Good colors and style. Oh, and it's got Blade's King Form mechanic without ripping on the style

The finisher starts off cool, but Crosshoper helping with the kick is a little silly. While I'm thinking about it, he's got a Rider muffler on his back

I thought they closed the door?

Surely we'll never see Geryon again

Wait, I thought they had allthe cards back, that's why he was able to use them in the fight?

Be sure to buy this many cards

Wait, what did Lakhesis do? Doesn't seem like anything??? Glad your'e in the episode, I guess?

Huh, surprised that Minato and Kyouka both survived this episode. Really thought someone besides Geryon was going to die

Overall, alright episode. We got a shiny new form. I'm a bit iffy on the powers since I'm not a big fan of everything being weird CGI nonsense, plus I feel like Wind had a cooler form entrance last week. The big bad is defeated. So... what are we doing for the latter half of the series?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: KR Gotchard 27 thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

MUGEN NO KANOSEI!

I'm really getting new form fatigue by now. I've just checked, and do you know how many episodes so far have not feature either a new Rider or form? Four. That's 15, 17, 20, and 25.

Remember when people had arguments over what counts as a Rider's power-up, final form, or whatever other classifications there are? Well those are gone now, considering Gotchard has so many forms that any attempt to classify them is out the window.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:37 pm The big bad is defeated. So... what are we doing for the latter half of the series?
I assume Atropos is gonna take over. Maybe she'll get an age up like whatsherface in Abaranger (Or indeed the other Whatsherface in Power Rangers SPD).
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

So, the new form looks gorgeous, but wasn't Iron Gotchard's intro... (checks) less than a month ago? I'm hoping the writer's getting all the forms out of the way as fast as he can before telling the story he wants.

On to the good parts: at several points, the directing was astounding, and really sells the desperation and hope in the episode's darkest-hour sequence. The new form not only looks amazing, as I'd mentioned before, but its two-card gimmick sells far more than precious forms that Ichinose's friendship approach was the right way. Geryon never struck me as final villain material, so it makes sense that he's gone for now; I suspect he'll be back with some kind of power from the darkness realm (maybe as a final villain to prove me wrong), but that's probably a ways away.

Minato went through basically the same arc Rinne did, so it would've been neat if she were the one to tell him that a villain saying something's his fault doesn't mean it's his fault, but it's still good that he's back. I didn't expect an apparent return to status quo this quickly, but Geryon's (heart??)-cube and most of all Lachesis' apparent defection make for a premise potentially more interesting than the first arc's.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Heart cube? Portal?

I usually don't like Ichinose's acting or the dumb friendship with the Chemys. If you're going to rip off Pokemon/YuGiOh, there's stronger ways of bonding with an animal than this show is giving us (Turning Hopper1 from an okay cute toy into an uglier clear plastic toy doesn't help). But I thought him pleading with the cards was a little good
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Minato was trapped by Geryon and blocked out his students' voices. But when their voice finally reached him, he rejected Geryon's voice. The Chemy's were trapped by dark powers and can't hear Hotarou's voice. But he broke through and reached the Chemys. I think the writer was trying to say that if you find people feeling trapped in a dark place, reach out and try to help them.

So if the Chemys were going to be destroyed when the gate opens, that means Daybreak's Chemys were destroyed, and he recreated the ones we saw him using.

Klotho had pdst dealing with Zukyumpire.

Love that everyone in the MC group got to participate in the fight and not sidelined. It also drove home how desperate the situation was because they were still losing badly. And nice sword you got there, Minato.

So the Chemy best matches and card numberings don't matter anymore. They're just being used based on their ability now.

Crosshoper doing a mini rider kick was adorable.

Yay the three sisters survived. They're interesting villains. Though looked like Geryon also survived in some form.

Lakhesis probably told Kyouka where Minato was.

Back to silly plots next week to reset the high tension.
Androzani84
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Quote: I fear that someday people will cite quotes I never said - Albert Einstein

Post by Androzani84 »

So according to TV-Asahi, it’s actually Platina Gotchard, not Platinum (Platina being an alloy does give it an edge in the “sensical naming” department as a follow-up to Iron Gotchard with an extra component and bolstered powers).

Also, since I haven’t seen Geryon’s actor get his flowers, and being sucked through a door is too ambiguous to be a real death, I’m guessing he’ll be back in a few weeks/months.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Androzani84 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm So according to TV-Asahi, it’s actually Platina Gotchard, not Platinum (Platina being an alloy does give it an edge in the “sensical naming” department as a follow-up to Iron Gotchard with an extra component and bolstered powers).
Looks like Platina is the Japanese word for platinum, comes from the Spanish name for it. Even though it's the villain's thing, it's surprising there's no Steel Gotchard or Gold Gotchard, given the metal theme we're using
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Yeah, Platina is Italian too. It reminds me of people getting mad about Kamen Rider Amazon Alfa, as if the English spelling should be prioritised when using a Greek word in a Japanese show.

(Although they regularly screw up foreign words. Geiz is supposed to rhyme with Fights, not Gates.)
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I have to admit I never figured out what Geiz was supposed to mean or represent. Which probably speaks to the bad theming/writing of Zi-O in general...
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

Mxylv wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:14 am So, the new form looks gorgeous, but wasn't Iron Gotchard's intro... (checks) less than a month ago? I'm hoping the writer's getting all the forms out of the way as fast as he can before telling the story he wants.
To be fair to this small gap, it's seems commonplace nowadays for a super form to shortly afterwards get more added on like Zero-One's Shining Assault Hopper and Geats' LaserBoost though while those two were more similar in a lot of ways due to the same writer, Geats and Gotchard share the theme of powering up their secondary form component and then adding on an upgrade to their main one though that could just be a byproduct of two series in a row with a double gimmick theme.
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:55 pm I have to admit I never figured out what Geiz was supposed to mean or represent. Which probably speaks to the bad theming/writing of Zi-O in general...
He was the starting point of the plot. Someone who fought in the future wars going back to take out Ohma Zi-O when he was younger was a way to get the story going and provide conflict amongst the main characters, but wasn't executed well or even continued on in any beneficial way.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

No, I mean, what was the etymology of Geiz's name. Like, I heard Geiz and Woz are named after Gates and Wozniack, the founders of Microsoft, but why were they named that in the show? It's just random and weird
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Geiz is German for stinginess/miserliness. You'd call Scrooge "geizig". But as mentioned, it rhymes with Fights, not Gates. And that name has very little to do with Geiz the character.

Though Decade and Meteor show they're not too bothered about accurate pronunciation.
Seen:
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Androzani84 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm Also, since I haven’t seen Geryon’s actor get his flowers, and being sucked through a door is too ambiguous to be a real death, I’m guessing he’ll be back in a few weeks/months.
It's sad that the people are trying to look for pictures of actors receiving flowers for their job to determine if someone is gone from the show. I really hope that Toei aren't going to post those pictures until the end of the show now since people have use them before to spoil stuff.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Phoenix512 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:10 am
Androzani84 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm Also, since I haven’t seen Geryon’s actor get his flowers, and being sucked through a door is too ambiguous to be a real death, I’m guessing he’ll be back in a few weeks/months.
It's sad that the people are trying to look for pictures of actors receiving flowers for their job to determine if someone is gone from the show. I really hope that Toei aren't going to post those pictures until the end of the show now since people have use them before to spoil stuff.
Some people hilariously misinterpret stuff too. Valkyrie's actress posted herself with some flowers she got for a fashion show or something, and (stupid) people posted it as proof she was being killed off. Except:

1. She was dressed in a pretty dress in the photo, hardly a Yua costume.

2. They never post the flower pics until after it airs.

3. The text of her post said what they were for.
Seen:
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

So there were some insights on the Production blog (https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/28/) about Geryon, The Dark Door and Platium Gotchard that weren't really explained well in the episodes, but I think would give so much more understanding to what was actually happened in the story.

Geryon's background

There has been opinions saying this isn't alchemy.

When alchemy was decided as the theme, the team did some research and decided that the "changing matters into more valuable substances" angle had little potential for plot development. So we focused on another alchemy angle - life. The alchemy in the Gotchard world was "granting temporary life" to a target.

But we didn't forget about that alchemy angle!

Geryon was created based on this alchemy fundamentalist concept. It's the reason Geryon applied gold to everything around him.

"Turning base metals into precious metals."
"Turn something worthless into gold."

This was the principle that drove Geryon's action.

This side of alchemy was probably abandoned and not being developed in Gotchard's timeline.

During his studies with his colleague Fuuga and his student Minato, Geryon became fascinated by this "abandoned alchemy" and began his research in secret.

============================

The Dark Door

The Chemy cards would be taken when a Malgam was defeated, so it was strange to send out Malgam if Geryon wanted Chemys.

Geryon's goal was not collecting Chemys. His goal was to make Houtarou fight to power up the key (Gotchardriver).

Only three components were needed to open the door.
- Ten level 10 Chemys
- Dreadriver as the kiln
- Gotchardriver as the key

The other Chemys were just extra materials.

That's why as long as the "key" had enough power, the ritual could began even without all 101 Chemy cards.

The shadow inside the door looked like a three-eyed monster. "Three" was an important number in alchemy. That's why they made a triangle shape when transforming.

============================

Platium Gotchard

Gotchard had many power-ups so far. The meaning of this transformation needed to be different from the previous ones.

Super - learned the terrified truth of battles and the importance of friends
Fire - lost the place of belonging and his own origin
Iron - learned the meaning of sacrificing to save others

Houtarou had growth up plenty already. It was very difficult to come up with a different reason.

So we thought outside the box.

It was always Houtarou's growth strengthening the Chemys, what if this time the Chemys' growth strengthened Houtarou?

In other words, we would depict the growth of Chemys, or more specifically, Hopper1's transformation. It's something only those who had spent the "gotcha days" with Houtarou could do.

Once we decided we would depict the growth of Chemys, it also automatically connected to Houtarou's growth. He who was a follower, became a leader.

"Pull yourselves together!"
It's the first time Houtarou would say something like this.

In this sense, both Houtarou and the Chemys broke out of their shells.

Hopper1 being able the speak through the broken Isaac was part of that miracle. We didn't think Chemys could evolve to speaking, so don't plan on seeing Hopper1 continue speaking in the future.

Original Japanese Text
グリオンの背景

「こんなの錬金術じゃねーじゃん」
様々なところで言われていたこちらの意見。

そもそも「錬金術」がテーマに決まった際
企画チームで史実の錬金術をベンキョウし

いわゆる「化学的調合」じゃ発展性がないから
「命」というもうひとつの錬金術テーマに着目し

この世界の錬金術とは
「対象に仮初めの命を与える」術として進歩してきたという設定にしようと決めたのは

「俺たち、そっちの錬金術も忘れてないぜ!」
そうして生まれた「錬金術原理主義者」がグリオン様だったのです。