King-Ohger 43 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 pm

★★★★★
40%
★★★★
40%
★★★
10%
★★
10%
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 43 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.78 out of 5 (9 votes)

I totally thought king father was played by Duga's actor

Gira is jesus. Gira, any feelings about probably causing your mom's death?

Is this what we're getting instead of a Toqger reunion?

Well, at least people's theory about Gira eating Kuwagata soul is true. Nice job, theory sleuthers!

Oh, so this is when that dude got swapped

I had a good time with the eps, but I'm tired of hearing about the cool family of the heroes. Yeah, the Husty dad was cool and all, but I long for stories about Himeno, and Rita, and that bee guy and his funny sister

This is what, the third week that we've sidelined our heroes to do a grand revelation? That's almost a month where our main heroes are side characters in their own story. I'm not a writer, but I think that's bad pacing. Even the big reveal that Rainbow Jello is Kuwagata's Soul is a revelation they've kept sorta to their breast till the episodes were in the 40s, but it didn't feel like we had the necessary time or focus for such a reveal to have the impact that it needed
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Re: King-Ohger 43 discussion post

Post by kangchan »

I think this series ended from episode 26. They have no plot left to develop, except to drag the series to 50 episodes.
This episode 43 has meaningless content. Just like the scriptwriters are trying to make it last 50 episodes, instead of ending it early.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The tone and pacing of this episode was the same as the last episode. The same type of background story telling style two weeks in a row is not doing any favor for my short attention span.

It was so obvious that young and adult Raclus were just standing besides each other in the flashbacks. You can see young Raclus' shadow on adult Raclus when he moved, there won't be a shadow if its overlaid by a green screen.

Shugoddom should document somewhere that a Husty need to get their blood on the golden sword to bind with it, so the next king doesn't need to hire a team of scientists or found out by pure accident.

Everything in this series was so incredibly high stakes, there were so many end-game type battles. Each one was very enjoyable on their own, but when these all these happened one after the other, it tires one out as there's no breathing room. I'm looking forward to the next sentai being more goofy with occasionally high stakes battles.

The credits write Gira Husty in the OP, where else before it's just Gira. Nice little detail.

msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Kid Yanma's posture changed considerably after transforming 😅
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Causus Husty was played by Nakamura Shido. He also played the first king, Rhyniol Husty, in the movie.

So in universe the Husty brothers' father looked exactly like the first king.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yaiba wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:59 am Causus Husty was played by Nakamura Shido. He also played the first king, Rhyniol Husty, in the movie.

So in universe the Husty brothers' father looked exactly like the first king.
Was that why he had the weird head wrap? Weird

If you guys watched Sexy Voice and Robo, he plays the memorable first guest star
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Don't know why, but Kaguragi being huge as a 10 year old made me crack up. Also, how did Jeremie have both his mask and his sword? Aren't they the same thing?
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Zerato wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:32 am Don't know why, but Kaguragi being huge as a 10 year old made me crack up. Also, how did Jeremie have both his mask and his sword? Aren't they the same thing?
Come to Tofu where our rice is laced with steroids. No clue on the second one, it seems like they conveniently forget a lot of stuff in this series lol
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

At least we now get something of an explanation about why Suzume looked exactly the same 17 years ago
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I enjoyed that episode. It wasn't without some problems, but it wasn't a bad episode.

While 3 episodes of plot dumps are getting tedious, I'm going to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and presume that they didn't just write all of this 2 months ago, and that we're seeing things that were written into the series bible a year (or more ago). Which is to say that this highly dramatic space bug arc was the plan from the start, rather than being something they came up with after the fact. Especially after 2 years of pandemics, chaos writing, and essentially creating the plot on the fly, I really like that this has been (at least recently) a more serious entry of Super Sentai.

Still, it's best not to look too hard. If you kick the wheels, you're going to quickly find the bondo that's being used to hold the series together.

Racles' actor is acting his heart out here. Kid Racles is doing surprisingly well, too. I don't think I like "good" Racles all that much - evil Racles and his machinations was more entertaining - but he's definitely earning his paycheck here. As well as selling the duplicitous nature that was previously concealed.

After the previous episode was an all-out slugfest, I'm not surprised to see that this episode was mostly exposition. We do get a short ranger fight mid-way through; it's nothing really remarkable, but that's an obligatory fight for you. In true Super Sentai fashion, if the A plot is something heavy (in this case Racles spilling his heart), then there has to be a comedy B-plot to help lighten the mood.

That they went with the kid angle was a bit surprising (the Space Bugs' plot doesn't seem to actually require any timey-wimey stuff?), but then I realized that they've previously shown us kid versions of all the kings, sans Kaguragi. So they didn't have to do any new casting or costuming for this. And it's why Kaguragi is still full-grown at age 10, since they didn't have a child counterpart for him. Seeing them transformed makes for a funny scene, but those suits don't fit the small stunties well at all.:lol:

Otherwise this episode has a lot of the same struggles as the entire season. Particularly, that it has to tell the audience so much instead of showing them, particularly with all the time skips. And like Takenoko has noted, this is the third week in the row where it's the Hustly Brothers show. Red is always going to be the most important, but I could use a bit more Sentai in my Super Sentai, especially when the first 20 or so episodes were also team-light.

I admit I'm a bit lost on what Dagdedo's plan with Gira was meant to be. The King asks for the power to destroy, so Dagdedo knocks up his wife with what would turn out to be an immortal child? Gira isn't even all that destructive; what he does is with his family's inherited power, and the rest of the time he's just refusing to die. Not that Dagdedo is all generous or serious even at the best of times, but I'm really not sure what that was supposed to be about (from his POV).

And Rainbow Jello is now officially in the running for the most drawn-out mystery in Sentai history. I mean, I'm glad it's finally been confirmed. But it wasn't a complex enough mystery to be dragged out over 40 episodes, especially given all the hints and important repercussions to the plot. It would have hit a lot harder if it were revealed earlier. (Also, putting a Shugod soul in Gira to control him isn't nearly as interesting as making it part of a ploy to give him the power to defeat Dagdedo, or something like that)

Speaking of Dagdedo, I am glad that he's back. Last week I lamented his early demise since he makes for such a fun Big Bad. But conversely, this means that the previous two episodes have more or less been undone. Which really does turn them into exposition dumps, since their plots ended up not mattering. (Other than Yanma showcasing how casually he can duplicate the power to kill an immortal?!)

Finally, it was nice to finally see when Boshimaru was replaced. It does just end up being fan service, because the when and how don't actually matter (Kamejimu could have done it at any time). But at least he gets a proper moment to be a badass out of it.

Typo at 10:09: "I am prepare[d] to take over the throne"
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:52 pm Even the big reveal that Rainbow Jello is Kuwagata's Soul is a revelation they've kept sorta to their breast till the episodes were in the 40s, but it didn't feel like we had the necessary time or focus for such a reveal to have the impact that it needed
More time and focus wouldn't have helped, I believe. The writers just made this one way too obvious; if anyone didn't figure this out by the Kyouyuuger special, they were very slow on the uptake. It's not a big enough mystery to last over 40 episodes, as there weren't enough wrinkles and complications in the story to stretch it over such a long period of time.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:05 am The tone and pacing of this episode was the same as the last episode. The same type of background story telling style two weeks in a row is not doing any favor for my short attention span.
I hear you. Even without a short attention span, it's making things kind of monotonous.
The credits write Gira Husty in the OP, where else before it's just Gira. Nice little detail.

https://i.postimg.cc/1XFJQRns/Gira.jpg
Neat find. Though it's kind of strange for it to happen now. It's not as if Gira wasn't already confirmed to be a Husty some 30 episodes ago.
Zerato wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:32 am Also, how did Jeremie have both his mask and his sword? Aren't they the same thing?
Good eyes! You are correct. That's just a straight-up gaffe by the production staff.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

https://i.postimg.cc/1XFJQRns/Gira.jpg
Neat find. Though it's kind of strange for it to happen now. It's not as if Gira wasn't already confirmed to be a Husty some 30 episodes ago.

> Probably because Gira finally acknowledged that he is Raclus' brother in the last episode
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>That they went with the kid angle was a bit surprising (the Space Bugs' plot doesn't seem to actually require any timey-wimey stuff?),

oooh yeah. What exactly did we witness with that? Was there a spare Dagdedo in Minogan(sp?) this whole time? You'd think the time mechanic would mean they went back in time to save him or something, but I guess that was just an additional power that the monster had?

>I admit I'm a bit lost on what Dagdedo's plan with Gira was meant to be.

I guess he was a super soldier. Which in the first half, he was pretty good at killing those underground bug people native to this planet. (Kind of makes you wonder if this has always been a colonization story, or if that just got tossed in with the Kyouryuuger crossover)

>(Other than Yanma showcasing how casually he can duplicate the power to kill an immortal?!)

He did it with hacking. With a hacker laptop you can do anything on TV

>Typo at 10:09: "I am prepare[d] to take over the throne"

oops!

>The writers just made this one way too obvious; if anyone didn't figure this out by the Kyouyuuger special, they were very slow on the uptake.

Surprisingly, this series has only had one writer. I don't know if it's a compliment that he designed this overly complicated game of thrones or not. Some of the reveals are cool and it's neat to see a long ongoing plot for a Sentai show... but I don't think it works, personally. There are a lot of times I feel like the show suffers from this over ambition. Like who killed Himeno's parents was a plot that intrigued me early on, but we don't even meet the guy who did it till after the time jump

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”