King-Ohger 38 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:28 pm

★★★★★
56%
★★★★
22%
★★★
22%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 38 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.89 out of 5 (9 votes), feel like that was a record high!

Where did all these people come from? I thought Gokkan was all prisoners

lol the naruto run

Rita's a pretty good candidate for a dance contest judging from the sentai tiktoks

Good thing Rita is here to remind people to mask up

Jeremie's heart glasses

lol is that idol famous?

You know, that was a fun episode of King-Ohger. As a bit of a cipher, Rita can pretty much fill any role they want. But as mysterious as Rita is, they still have friends in Himeno and Morphonya (who steals every scene she's in)

These slightly sillier episodes are the bread and butter in what makes sentai truly enjoyable

Will we see more face open scenes with Rita in the future? Probably not

But yeah, what a good run on King-Ohger. Keep it up!

Edit: This Rita character is pretty interesting. I wonder where I can get more manga stories about them
Ruffinn Kein
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: 人知れず生まれ、人知れず生きる、そして人知れず消えるもの。それでも人に知られ、思い出されたいもの。
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ruffinn_kein/

Re: King-Ohger 38 discussion post

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

Well, there was a lot to process in this episode. Rita is a great performer, obviously. The dancing part in the beginning was perfect for the character, obviously. The mask, the clothes, the moves, all epic. So was the last part where we see Rita's character development. Also, it was nice to hear Rita talk about their parents for once, that their parents are alive and well. But where are they? In Gokkan? Then why haven't we seen them? Nonetheless, the story parts, character development parts, and the rangers' antics were all good.

The issue I have is with the part where they abandoned the character completely to make Rita an idol. I get it's not Rita's real self and they're trying to investigate, but this was a bit over the top for me. The singing and the clothes just don't work for me. The worst part, we're not getting a proper character song from Rita. I'm gonna be brutally honest, this nightmare of a song is Rita's final character song... which I partly expected, but was hoping and praying that it doesn't turn out like this. The singing was not good either.
What I love about character songs is how they can represent a character very well including the different sides of a character. They could have been very creative and made a song that represents the multi-layered character Rita is. I think Jirou(from Donbros)'s song "Try! Good Rival" is a good example of how creative character song can be. I don't know what other people think or feel, but I think it was a good song that represented the 3 different kinds of Jirou's we saw in the show, and arguably did a better job at it than the show itself. It's such a shame to me that Rita's song is going to be that because I was really looking forward to Rita's song and it feels awful to know that I hate it. On top of that, this song is a bad version of the original "Moffun No Uta". I really like that song for how soft, calm, and cute it is, but with a few scary lyrics. But Rita's version ruins all of that. Maybe I'm overreacting, but character songs are very very important to me. And over the past 8 months, Rita has become one of my favorite Sentai characters of all time. So it really hurts to see this happen.
This one aside, next week seems interesting. They'll finally act like a proper Sentai, hopefully. Don't love that they're spending 2 episodes just for Nkosopa, the least likable country... 😒🙄

Also, I kinda expected this to happen, but they're going to release a bunch of behind the scenes content for this episode on TTFC. They're gonna release the singing performance and the dance performance separately, the Moffun animation video shown on the screen during Rita's singing performance and even a "making of" for this episode. They really went all out for this one, I wonder if it took longer to film this episode compared to other ones.
Ruffinn Kein 🙃
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> But where are they? In Gokkan? Then why haven't we seen them?

Rita's parents are in jail? That's possible, and would explain why she grew up in Gokkan
Ruffinn Kein
7X

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:52 am Rita's parents are in jail? That's possible, and would explain why she grew up in Gokkan
I wasn't suggesting they're in prison. I meant that they could be living in Gokkan as normal citizens. Most citizens are criminals and ex-criminals, sure. But maybe not every single one is a criminal. People like the rulers' aides were normal people once, right? People like Morphonia? The rulers of Gokkan don't inherit the throne from their parents, so they must be among the citizens, even if they do work for the rulers. And the royal guards of Gokkan didn't always belong to the castle, I believe.
Ruffinn Kein 🙃
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Wh- What the hell just happened? :P

A reality contest show completed with all the relevant tropes, from a mentor using a strange accent and random English words, down to having to another rival challenging the stage.

Lol they just straight up used the Sony PCL studio for the stage and the AR wall as the backdrop monitors.

Don't really care about the scenes where the others trying to figure out what supposed deep burden Rita was hiding. It's funny when they all got it wrong while the sad background music was playing, but let's just get back to the reality contest show, 'kay?

What's going on with Minongan personality? I literally did a double take to confirm that's him. When he first appeared he seemed to be a dumb brute, and he reverted back to that in the end. His title was "Minongan the Concealed". Was he concealing his personality? Those things in his chest were probably the key to defeating the Space Bugs.

What were you doing behind the life-size Moffun, Jeremy?? Where did you pull that mini Moffun out from...

Never thought that throwaway plot point of Yanman getting arrested for creating the ultra pc will end up being the trump card to retake control of Nkosopa. Did Yanma think about this when he destroyed his old laptop.

So... Ikoma Rina, the singer Gouma summoned, played Narumi Akiko in "Fuuto Detective THE STAGE" (The Kamen Rider W anime stage show). She also played Time Jacker Finis in the "Kamen Rider: Reiwa The First Generation" movie.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>A reality contest show completed with all the relevant tropes, from a mentor using a strange accent and random English words, down to having to another rival challenging the stage.

The reason he's talking strangely is a practical one. He's voiced by Seki Tomokazu who is also voicing Geroujimu in this series. So he's talking strangely to make it harder to notice it's his voice behind both of them (Minogan is mostly mute or says things sparingly)

>So... Ikoma Rina, the singer Gouma summoned, played Narumi Akiko in "Fuuto Detective THE STAGE" (The Kamen Rider W anime stage show). She also played Time Jacker Finis in the "Kamen Rider: Reiwa The First Generation" movie.

what a toku fan
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

In Asia, these kind of artistic or beauty reality shows sometimes will have judges/mentors/guests speak this way. Its a stereotype concept that locals who have Italian accents mixed with lots of English words are more artistic, because Italy is associated with art? Every time I see these shows on TV I expect to hear at least one person speaking like that.

Seki Tomokazu is experienced enough to distinguish his voice for multiple characters even without the strange accent.
Ruffinn Kein
7X

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

takenoko wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:21 am >So... Ikoma Rina, the singer Gouma summoned, played Narumi Akiko in "Fuuto Detective THE STAGE" (The Kamen Rider W anime stage show). She also played Time Jacker Finis in the "Kamen Rider: Reiwa The First Generation" movie.

what a toku fan
Now that you've mentioned it, she does look familiar, lol.
Ruffinn Kein 🙃
Dangard_Belmont
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Dangard_Belmont »

I miss the "Lock On" and the samurai music when Rita draws her sword
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I can't say I'm particularly a fan of idol culture, so this episode didn't really land with me. Which doesn't make it objectively bad, it just made it uninteresting.

But given how narrow and straight-laced the character of Rita is normally played, I'm sure her actress appreciated the chance to break out and show some more range and skills.

Episodes without a mecha fight: 4
Ruffinn Kein wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:28 am It's such a shame to me that Rita's song is going to be that because I was really looking forward to Rita's song and it feels awful to know that I hate it. On top of that, this song is a bad version of the original "Moffun No Uta". I really like that song for how soft, calm, and cute it is, but with a few scary lyrics. But Rita's version ruins all of that. Maybe I'm overreacting, but character songs are very very important to me.
You're not overreacting. It's not a good character song precisely because it's just a remix of something else.
takenoko wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:21 am The reason he's talking strangely is a practical one. He's voiced by Seki Tomokazu who is also voicing Geroujimu in this series. So he's talking strangely to make it harder to notice it's his voice behind both of them (Minogan is mostly mute or says things sparingly)
That explains so much. I was wondering why I was hearing the Red Powerful Ranger from Akibaranger. It's the same VA with the same over-the-top style of speaking English.:lol:
Ruffinn Kein
7X

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:56 am I can't say I'm particularly a fan of idol culture, so this episode didn't really land with me. Which doesn't make it objectively bad, it just made it uninteresting.
Finally, someone who agrees with me. :) I'm also not a fan of the idol culture.
ViRGE wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:56 am
Ruffinn Kein wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:28 am It's such a shame to me that Rita's song is going to be that because I was really looking forward to Rita's song and it feels awful to know that I hate it. On top of that, this song is a bad version of the original "Moffun No Uta". I really like that song for how soft, calm, and cute it is, but with a few scary lyrics. But Rita's version ruins all of that. Maybe I'm overreacting, but character songs are very very important to me.
You're not overreacting. It's not a good character song precisely because it's just a remix of something else.
Thanks for understanding. I can't believe how Columbia JP can be so lazy about this! It's in latin, which I have no knowledge about and therefore it's not understandable to me, but Rita's insert song "Ignorantia juris nocet" is somehow way better than this song, at least the vibes and composition are better. It represents the character better. The character songs have mostly been so great since, I think Ryusoulger. So I don't understand what happened this year... Maybe they used all their budget on music to get popular singers to sing the first batch of insert songs... I get that insert songs are important and should be well-made, but not at the cost of character songs, because these are the main songs that drew me to Toku music... Not the other stuff.
Ruffinn Kein 🙃

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”