King-Ohger 41 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:53 pm

★★★★★
55%
★★★★
36%
★★★
9%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 41 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4 out of 5 (7 votes)

Wait, so that Gira nonsense about being Dag's son is real? If that's true, this is the stupidest twist

Time to recycle suits

Nice to see some pairings, but with the way these action shots are made it's hard to get excited

Wait, they're not even piloting the mecha? This dumb dumb series. Why are they just on the ground looking at the action happen without them?

I just love imagining Racles setting up these dumb rube goldberg machines for Dagdedo to knock down

The fart mats are back. Because they were so funny before

Oh hey, I recognize that toy

Gira's just hiding in a box lol. Why didn't these idiots call Gira before this point?

Look at that bad editing of Shiokara running in. Oh, Shiokara is mind controlled again. I mean, it's not like he can prevent that from happening, but it happening after the disaster of last time feels like it should be more weighty?

At least we have a Gira vs Racles fight. In an episode of repeat ideas, at least this one is interesting

See, King Racles looks good because there's good contrast in colors

Oh Dagdedo, you can't be this stupid

Oh hey, there's the title. That's the second time they've done this?

How far back did I call that Racles was secretly a good guy? Props for them playing the long game though.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: King-Ohger 41 discussion post

Post by Yaiba »

To those who held on to the notion that Racles was not evil and everything he did were calculated moves to get on Dagdedo's good side, congratulations.

How do you defeat an actual god? Use his own power against him. Though that might just be a mech suit and not his real body.

So Gira really was immortal and created by Dagdedo? I fell this should be a bigger deal, but with everyone constantly lying all over the place it made me questioned the authenticity of the reveal and lessen the impact by a lot.

When did Kaguragi know about Racles' plan? I don't really get what his deal is. He was so against Racles in the beginning of the series. When he stole the spear and gave to Gira before he said that line "show me and the people who is worthy to be king", and this time he said the same line to Racles.

Racles really wanted to get back at the rulers for the fart joke.

The first thing Rita did once the bomb was defused was to save Mofu.

Is that hand chocking Racles warped in cling film?

The scene where the castle punched Diagougu was reused from ep23, they just changed the lighting.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>When did Kaguragi know about Racles' plan? I don't really get what his deal is. He was so against Racles in the beginning of the series. When he stole the spear and gave to Gira before he said that line "show me and the people who is worthy to be king", and this time he said the same line to Racles.

That's what's so dumb about his character. They can just say "he was acting like a traitor to keep up appearances since he's the consummate traitor". My question is Suzume in on this or acting on behalf of Kaguragi or something else?

>Is that hand chocking Racles warped in cling film?

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure what they were going for there
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I think it's a force chock so it's suppose to be invisible. But "the viewers won't understand without seeing it" so they wrap it in cling film and it just looked stupid.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

I didn't realize how much I missed seeing the Ohkuwagata suits before now. I think they may easily be my favorites after Rita's.

Oh hey, welcome back GKO. It's been, what, 10 episodes since the last time we saw you in this show that's named after you?
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I finally got caught up with this episode. I have to be honest: after last week's reveal, I was kind of dreading it, because I was worried the result would be something stupid. I'm less than pleased to be correct on that count.

At a high level, this episode leaves me indifferent and with mixed feelings. It was not a bad episode overall. But it was also such a massive rehash of different plot points/event/tropes that it's hard to call it a good episode, either. Please take a shot of egg nog if you've seen the following before:
  • Racles and Gira fighting
  • Kaguragi betraying the team (or a member of the team)
  • The non-red members of the Sentai being sidelined for the episode
  • King Caucasuskabuto and its one set of animations
  • The aides being brainwashed by Hirubiru
At several points in this episode it could have very well just been a clip show. Everything except the Racles/Gira plot (which is admittedly the A plot) is a rehash of other things that have happened before.

And that leaves us with Gira and Racles.

Like everyone else, it would seem, I am still stupefied that last week's revelations about Gira - that he's a quasi-clone of Dagdedo - turned out to be true. It's just so far fetched that it's hard to suspend one's disbelief even in a show where fantastical things regularly happen.

I won't belabor this point for too long. But there are basically two problems with it. One: the delivery was terrible. Having it come from Dagdedo and Racles, noted liars and ne'er-do-wells, massively undermined the revelation. How are you supposed to take their claims seriously when so often they're just screwing around or playing 4D chess? So then this episode drops a week later, confirming that it actually was true, and at this point I'm just numb to the whole thing rather than shocked.

As for problem number two: it's a twist too far. There's already so much going on with the Shugods, Racles, God's Wrath, whatever the hell is going on with Suzanne, etc, that we've had plenty of twists in the previous 40 episodes. Plus all the foreshadowing leading up to this strongly implied that Gira's enhanced nature was due to chowing down on a shugod soul, so while this was technically foreshadowed, it wasn't done in a way that's fair to the audience. The end result is that it's a twist that just comes out of left field, and those are often unsatisfying. The show didn't need another twist when it's mid-way through its final quarter.

With that said, there are some things that work well here. In particular, all of Racles' scenes with Dagdedo are just great. Watching Racles plot (and explain his plots) is fun, especially in the context of vying for a favor from an immortal god. It's the kind of mustache-twirling evil that's fun to watch, and that other Sentai series have struggled to deliver upon. And the fart cushions, while absolutely stupid, are certainly consistent with Racles' character and his need for revenge.

The mecha fight was also fun. It wasn't terribly long, but it's good to see the bots out and about. It's a shame that King Caucasuskabuto is basically just a cameo appearance, but we've known since its debut that it was a CGI-only formation, so it would likely get the VSX treatment at best. The size thing is still a problem, though.

Finally, the Gira/Racles fight was well executed. It's nothing we haven't seen before, but it's also consistent with the level of quality from rounds 1 and 2. And best of all, it's in a physical location rather than being on a sound stage in front of that damned green screen.

Overall it's not a bad episode. But it came out of the oven half-baked.
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:53 pm Wait, they're not even piloting the mecha? This dumb dumb series. Why are they just on the ground looking at the action happen without them?
Yeah, that part was really weird. Especially since a massive plot point in episodes 24/25 was that they needed pilots for every single shugod to get the most out of God King-Ohger. The series keeps dabbling with the idea that the shugods are sentient, but then it never seems to fully commit to the idea. Or at least, explain why the meatbags are needed to pilot it.
Oh hey, I recognize that toy
Something about using the toys in this show just makes me crack up. It's so utterly blatant.:lol:
Is that the second time? This is the first time I can recall the title card/title drop coming at the very end of the episode. We've had some delayed title cards before, but I cannot recall an end-of-episode drop like this. Regardless, it's an interesting choice; it definitely makes the episode stand out.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:57 am When did Kaguragi know about Racles' plan? I don't really get what his deal is. He was so against Racles in the beginning of the series. When he stole the spear and gave to Gira before he said that line "show me and the people who is worthy to be king", and this time he said the same line to Racles.
Everything about Racles plan is nuts. It implies that every time he lost and every time he won was carefully planned, precisely to get to this moment. Which robs the heroes of all of their agency.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:46 am I think it's a force chock so it's suppose to be invisible. But "the viewers won't understand without seeing it" so they wrap it in cling film and it just looked stupid.
If you pay close attention to Dagdedo's space, you should notice that they make rather significant use of cling film. The props are all green so that they can be chroma-keyed out, to give his lair its ethereal feel. But in order to keep them from being entirely invisible, some objects or parts of objects will be wrapped in film, in order to give them a hazy, semi-transparent look. It's basically trying to pull off a shimmering invisibility look without all of the CGI. Ultimately you're not wrong, and I think it is meant to imply a kind of force choke. But I translate that as also being meant to imply that there's a manifestation of a hand there, rather than a force choke just crushing one's windpipes.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

• Racles and Gira fighting
  • Kaguragi betraying the team (or a member of the team)
  • The non-red members of the Sentai being sidelined for the episode
  • King Caucasuskabuto and its one set of animations
  • The aides being brainwashed by Hirubiru
It's the KingRanger greatest hits list!

>Like everyone else, it would seem, I am still stupefied that last week's revelations about Gira - that he's a quasi-clone of Dagdedo - turned out to be true

I know right? Just the cadence of that reveal was wrong in every way
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:53 pm Wait, they're not even piloting the mecha? This dumb dumb series. Why are they just on the ground looking at the action happen without them?
Yeah, that part was really weird. Especially since a massive plot point in episodes 24/25 was that they needed pilots for every single shugod to get the most out of God King-Ohger. The series keeps dabbling with the idea that the shugods are sentient, but then it never seems to fully commit to the idea. Or at least, explain why the meatbags are needed to pilot it.

I mean, I guess technically Gira can control them through DNA magic? What exactly is Dagdedo's gift to him again? Bug dominance? That might be a Force power. Or maybe the mecha are alive and have a will of their own?

quote]Oh hey, there's the title. That's the second time they've done this?[/quote]Is that the second time?

I swear they've done this before, but I can't find an example of it in my scripts going back as far as ep 27. Maybe I'm just having a mandela effect
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

Is that the second time?
In ep 21, their first real fight after they formed the sentai
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:06 am I mean, I guess technically Gira can control them through DNA magic? What exactly is Dagdedo's gift to him again? Bug dominance? That might be a Force power. Or maybe the mecha are alive and have a will of their own?
The mecha seem to be alive. But since they're bug-themed, they're also subject to Dagdedo's bug dominance powers?

*shrugs*
Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:18 am
Is that the second time?
In ep 21, their first real fight after they formed the sentai
I bow to Yaiba's superior eidetic memory. Nice recall!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

I need to pay special attention to the titles each week, unusual placement like this is edged into my memory.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”